Author Topic: Best 3 gadgets / things you bought for 30-50$ that increased your life quality?  (Read 13979 times)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
Hm, mine I think would be................

Nice and comfy computer chair from IKEA (they actually have something really good, for once)

A pair of Timberland loafers

Um, underwear? (no, you heard correctly, I am NOT joking, they are really freaking darn good :p )

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
1. De-solder pump.  Has made my hobby much more satisfying.

2. Wool socks.  They are costly but the return has been much appreciated in my life.  I am slowly changing my wardrobe to be more wool based, and it all started with socks.

3. Run of the mill coffee maker.  I had tried to get into fancier coffee over the years, grinding and french pressing, but it just takes too much time.  Buying decent stuff once a week and grinding it at the store and made my mornings much more enjoyable.

Nice list. I just started wearing wool socks, and I'm going to be buying more.

Here's my list:

1. Leatherman Fuse multitool. I use this everyday, for a million uses. Probably the most important item on this list. You know the saying, "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Well, now you don't have to see nails everywhere. :D

2. e-Ink eReader. I own a Kindle, a Kindle Keyboard, and a Nook. I read much more now that I have lots of books conveniently on one device.

3. Gillette Mach3 razor. I have used a Mach3 since they first came out. I tried the Fusion for a while, but went back to the Mach3. As someone who shaves every day, the Mach3 is the most comfortable shave I have found. Leaps and bounds over a disposable.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI

I think I'm a man of more simple tastes than most of you.. here it goes:

1- Faber Castell's Grip finepen - I have the 2 versions, for drawing and for writing. I suck at both, but the pleasure when writing something with these bad boys is from out of this world. Pretty cheap, around US$2,00.

2- Puma's Ducati Motorazzo Street Racer Trainers - awesome to drive (DUH!), comfortable, tight fit. Just the way I like.

3 - My living room's granite table. Cheap, does not require a lot of maintenance and I think that if it ever becomes unstable or something, I can re-use the granite board on another support.
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff

2- Puma's Ducati Motorazzo Street Racer Trainers - awesome to drive (DUH!), comfortable, tight fit. Just the way I like.

I wish those came in wider sizes.  Stupid giant feet...

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
In Europe they are available up until 48. This should be 14 or 14.5 in US.
What size do you wear?
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline Findecanor

1. Heating Blanket: ...
1. I got a wool blanket. Super comfy. Cost closer to $80, though. I loved it so much that I got another one a year later.

... 3. Pillow
2. Yes. I spent money on a real down pillow. Much better than synthetic crap. The big downside is that it is difficult to wash, so I wrap it in three pillow cases, so that I don't have to do it too often.

2. Wool socks.  They are costly but the return has been much appreciated in my life.  I am slowly changing my wardrobe to be more wool based, and it all started with socks.
3. A simple beanie hat made of knitted lambs wool with a layer of thinsulate. Does not sound special and it did not look special, but it was perfect! Natural fibres breathe better so that you don't overheat and break a sweat as easily as when wearing synthetic fabrics. The layer of thinsulate protected against wind blowing through the knit.
Unfortunately, I lost my beanie on All Saints Day and am now using a cheap beanie made from acrylic fibres, because I still have not found one that is as good as the old one.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Just got some house pants that are made of this bamboo fabric($45) and holy hell they feel nice. It's like my balls are being cradled by a thousand baby ducks.

Offline m00nshake

I'd also like to say that there's nothing better than a real down pillow
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline whiskerBox

Best 3 gadgets / things you bought for 30-50$ that increased your life quality?
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 23:16:01 »
So I thought about this for a couple minutes and just about everything in my bag I love.

So

1. Timbuk2 bag little over budget, but it's been a great friend for years.

2. SF bags keyboard sleeve. Great for hhkb/poker. Reaper told me about these originally great little sleeve. Like $50

3. Small lock pick set lol. Never used these until last week when I lost the key to my desk drawer at work. $30

4. Incase laptop sleeve. $20 at Tjmaxx

5. Aluminum sharpie pen $10

6. Assorted bike chain locks, because it's always fun to lock your coworkers office chairs together. $30

7. Small toolset for your car $50. Oh snap I actually changed my own brakes the other day. Very satisfying!

8. Ironkey, a little over priced $100. Lots of cool uses though.

9. Cheap ear buds $10. They are not for audiophile listening, but for ignoring the people around you when you forgot your real headphones.

10. A pocket knife. I have a gerber that was like $30. I think I could stab someone just as good as a $100 knife, but I will have to get back to you with those results later.

All I could think of....
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline dirge

I'd also like to say that there's nothing better than a real down pillow

No I disagree, Dunlopillo hollowfibre latex pillows.  Real down for the quilt sure, but honestly nothing beats these pillows.

http://www.dunlopillo.co.uk/

They are expensive but quality.

I'll add another on my list, a Waterford Irish Crystal glass to drink from.  Hey if you drink enough having the correct quality container is an important thing.

typically a Glencairn glass for whisky is the way to go, but I use my Waterford all the time.  Quality, heavy in the hand and if your getting pissed it might as well be out of a quality glass.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
Three items?

1. My HTC Incredible, I ended up getting mine for free at signing due to some stuff, which was awesome, but it's my one thing I need to carry most of the time. It's my alarm clock, my calendar, my email, my only phone. I use it to check out wireless networks, find my way to places in other cities, it mutes when i get to work, but is on loud when I get home, it's just my multitool for everything.

2. My Timbuk2 messenger bag. I know it's not the most ergonomic bag, and I was lucky to get one before timbuk2 became big and the quality of their materials dropped. When I bought it I was going through 2 or 3 backpacks a year at school. I've had that one bag for the last 6 or 7 years, and the only damage it's taken is that one of the Velcro pads on the inside of the bag has come off. I really wish I had spent more money on it when I bought it the first time, but I'm more than happy with it now. I've looked into buying a second one of a larger size for weekend getaways and such, but haven't convinced myself i need it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
3. Good sheets/Matress Topper. It's amazing the difference between $20 and $50 sheets. When I moved into an actual house in college and got my bed from my old house, I had nice sheets my parents bought when i was a kid that lasted 4 or 5 years and were still incredibly comfortable. About a year after that i wore through the fitted sheet and went out and got a $20 sheet set. That set died within 6 months. I got an internship, and actually had money, so i bought around $100 in new sheets, and a new mattress topper, and it's made a world of difference.

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
1. Clear Keyboard Skin for my MBP

No more shiny keys. $7

2. Dyson 10" Fan

Looks awesome and was $40 BNIB

3. Ducky Mechanical Keyboard TKL $40

Need I say more? An addition to my iMac.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
1. Clear Keyboard Skin for my MBP

No more shiny keys. $7

2. Dyson 10" Fan

Looks awesome and was $40 BNIB

3. Ducky Mechanical Keyboard TKL $40

Need I say more? An addition to my iMac.

How and where did you get a dyson 10'' fan for 40 bucks? that's crazy talk! i need one

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
1. Spyderco Tenacious

2. Felix Flashlight

3. Logitech G9x / Quickfire Rapid (Tied for Third)

Holy crap! Are you me?!

1. Spyderco Tenacious too!

2. Been using my bro's Streamlight ProTac 1L Professional Tactical but plan on getting a Fenix E21

3. Logitech G400/500 tied with my cheap CZ 75D PCR IWB holster

1. Metal Gear Solid

+1 to this
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 November 2012, 19:31:23 by VesperSAINT »

Offline thp777

1. 3dconnexion spacenavigator 3d mouse. saves me tons of time in 3d software. allows me to work while i rotate an object instead of switching between tools.
2. razer naga. i use the extra buttons for my most used hotkeys in 3ds max allowing me to keep my left hand on 3d mouse and my custom nostromo. saves me from having to click menus all day
3. nostromo. have 4 layers assigned for hotkeys in 3d software  really saves me alot of time and clicking

Offline hluo87

1. race KB
2. ss Sensei
3. gunnar glass...

Offline Malphas

1. French press
2. Fleshlight
3. Lighter

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
1. French press
2. Fleshlight
3. Lighter

Fleshlight... lol. I hope this wasn't a typo for flashlight.

Offline Malphas

I assure you it wasn't a typo.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
I assure you it wasn't a typo.

ಠωಠ

Offline m00nshake

Speaking of gadgets I'm about to get some overshoes for winter bicycling, I wore regular socks under thermal socks and my toes were still numb bicycling this morning. The temperature was around 27 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline BoxWithADot

Casio W-800 - Not the prettiest watch, but I wear this watch almost every day. It's tough, and if it breaks it's cheap to replace. Plus I hate taking out my phone just to check the time.

Moore Maker pocketknife - Carry this knife every day, actually own two. Endlessly useful, good carbon steel, holds a nice edge for a long time. Little more than $50.

There are probably several more, but these are the first two I happened to think of  :)

Offline deegaf

1) WD Cloud Storage Drive 3TB - A seriously buff media server with cloud access. I had so much fun organizing all my files for 2 days straight. God I'm such a nerd.
2) iPhone extended battery case - The thinner one.
3) A teapot with the words "Keep Calm and Drink Tea"
4) Life changer subs/apps: Rdio for music, Youtube on PS3, Amazon Prime, Hulu for the Criterion Collection, and Netflix.

Offline deegaf

I forgot the most important of all. I sit on a ball chair at work with a wheel base. I don't slouch anymore!

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
1 - Mouse Bungee, everyone believe this is just a hoax and tend to think that they can make their own with just ducktape and a pringles tube are wrong. This makes your mouse feel like its wireless, for real.

2 - My external drive, got it for free so its not near the price range this was ment to be in but anyway.. It has saved my family photos like 4 times when the computer has crashed.
3 - Heatpillow that I use in my lap =)

Offline Malphas

Speaking of gadgets I'm about to get some overshoes for winter bicycling, I wore regular socks under thermal socks and my toes were still numb bicycling this morning. The temperature was around 27 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pffft, soft lad. That barely qualifies as cold.

Offline bace

1. Gym membership
2. vmoda bass freq. cheap earphones to listen to music which helps me fall asleep.
3. smartwool socks
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
Best 3 gadgets / things you bought for 30-50$ that increased your life quality?
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 11:58:10 »
Eva Angelina fleshlight

Offline m00nshake

I really like the Pearl Izumi overshoes and balaclava that I recently got. The overshoes keep my feet warm and the balaclava my face and neck while bicycling in sub zero temperatures.

Offline YMSNoms

45 big macs, when Leamington spa queensway restaurant had a pricing failure!  WIN

1. QFR Blacks
2. Pink Keycaps
3. Starcraft 2
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
In the "inexpensive" category:

1. Electric Kettle ($25)
2. Alvin Draft-Matic 0.5mm pencil ($8)
3. ABS M1 ($45 at the time, first 'good' kb)

And the more costly:

1. Galaxy Nexus
2. Extra-long queen size mattress (I'm 6'3" and a twin won't cut it anymore)
3. Personally build desktop PC
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline SrsBsns

I really couldn't think of many things that were UNDER $50, which I think is the case for most everyone else. :p

1. My Grado SR60i's - I love music, and even though they aren't the BEST headphones, they are still amazing, I've had them for over a year now, and they keep sounding better.
1b. cMoy amp, for my Grado's.

2. My small 4 inch desk fan, my mouse hand seems to sweat a lot for some reason, bigger fans are far too bulky to be on my desk!

3. My Zen Magnets, who knew magnetic spheres were so much #$%!ing fun?  They provide so much stress relief, and are just amazing to play with.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
2. e-Ink eReader. I own a Kindle, a Kindle Keyboard, and a Nook. I read much more now that I have lots of books conveniently on one device.

I don't know if the e-Book reader can be found for less than $50, but I have to second jdcarpe on an ebook reader being a huge lifestyle upgrade. If you're looking for a great gift for a reader in your life, get them a 7" ebook reader of some kind (Nook Color if they're into comics) and then get your sewer scuba-diving gear and dive into the seamy, underground world of pirated ebooks! Give them the e-reader loaded up with books.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
1) Grado SR80i: Music is always on when I'm at home, along with Spotify. So I was extremely happy with the sound quality that I got for the price.

2) Kindle: I read a lot and it's nice to have this gadget around. I think last summer I read around 1200 pages. This helped save a small forest from destruction.

3) Really nice bedsheets: I've had sleeping problems for ages. The comfort level these sheets give me help me to sleep better.

Offline sammsorensen

1. e-cig.. Haven't smoked an actual cigarette in a long time.. still haven't fully given up nicotine :/
2. $50 logitech g500 mouse.. The Warranty never seems to end.. I'm on my 4th free mouse.
3. usb drink chiller.. uhhh yeah
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
1. Wired Xbox controller for my PC. Makes **** like Dark Souls:PTD playable.
2. Coffee Grinder and French Press. My coffee tastes like coffee now. Its genius.
3. My iPhone otterbox case. I work in an environment that might be considered dangerous to most technology including my phone. This thing saves it from that environment.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
1. Spyderco Tenacious

I know this is an old post, but I couldn't agree more. I love my Tenacious, easily the best value folding knife out there.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
I want to get a Tenacious just to make custom scales to make it looks like this:
http://imgur.com/a/Nls8q#0
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"

helps me track my cycling. which pushes me to do more each week.

which helps me lose weight and be healthier.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
How much weight have you lost? Congrats to you, by the way.

Offline reverkiller

My best purchases...

1) $10 gray hoodie. I wear it all the time and it looks nice and is crazy comfy
2) 12 pack of G2 pens, $20ish. Notes!
3) Cellphone. Cheap thing I got on my parents contract for $10. Lasted me 4 years so far, and been great.

Thinking about buying a drafting pencil, will probably buy it tomorrow. Also going to invest in a notebook to do abstract algebra in.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Demik is a ghost, that's how much weight he lost.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
IM NOT HERE!

27lbs
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
IM NOT HERE!

27lbs
Congrats, here's to a happier healthier life man.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Sony headphones. They seem to be the best out there in that pricer ange.
SmallFry! <3

Offline MattBuzzy

1. Bodum Fyrkat Charcoal Barbeque, makes food taste amazing and is really cheap to cook with. $99

2. Powered Aerial Splitter, get a better reception running 2 T.V's than I did before with 1. $30

3. Dehydrator, fresh and cheap Jerky and Dried Fruit that tastes better than the packet stuff. $50