Author Topic: my computer is too ugly for my keyboards...  (Read 6146 times)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
my computer is too ugly for my keyboards...
« on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:24:12 »
i'm not a hardcore gamer, so i don't go in for the neon fans and other gamer case flash, but i really wish there were pc cases with half as much style as some of the keyboards i own. i've got an ugly old case with my linux server in it and a macbook pro. the macbook is nice but aesthetically kind of clashes.

anyone else feel this way? what cases are people using that go with their keyboards?

(full disclosure: i'm on a gibson/cyberpunk tear right now, so this complaint is at least partially inspired by a frustration that my gear doesn't look like a cyberspace deck)
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: my computer is too ugly for my keyboards...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:25:12 »
hide it under the table and buy more keyboard stuff!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:25:22 »
the plain looking Lian-Li cases are probably the best looking PC cases IMO

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:28:54 »
You should really go caseless.

Something like this:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:29:40 »

Something like this:

Show Image

Whoa!! Watch your fingers.....and cats.....;)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:41:46 »

Something like this:

Show Image

yeah thats actually kinda awesome. except for the aforementioned danger to digits and pets.... pretty easy to cool i bet.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:47:04 »
Corsair has a good pretty line of plain cases, depending on what you need to house, I'm sure their cases would be sufficient.

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case.html
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:54:20 »
If you're interested in a case that provides good bang for your buck, I'd recommend a Fractal Design R4.  It has a really nice minimal/sleek look to it and provides great cable management options along with great airflow.  It's also whisper quiet too.  Only con might be that it's pretty gigantic.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:56:02 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 17:20:12 »
the plain looking Lian-Li cases are probably the best looking PC cases IMO

This.  I had an old PC-65B, and went to a Corsiar 650T in white.  Too big and heavy.  Went back to Lian Li (PC-A05F- modded to inversed A05).  Much better and smaller.  I don't tinker near as much as I used to, so no need for a giant case. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 17:35:37 »
i'm not a hardcore gamer, so i don't go in for the neon fans and other gamer case flash, but i really wish there were pc cases with half as much style as some of the keyboards i own. i've got an ugly old case with my linux server in it and a macbook pro. the macbook is nice but aesthetically kind of clashes.

anyone else feel this way? what cases are people using that go with their keyboards?

(full disclosure: i'm on a gibson/cyberpunk tear right now, so this complaint is at least partially inspired by a frustration that my gear doesn't look like a cyberspace deck)

First, I think it depends on form factor: micro ATX, mini ATX, ATX...
Second, it depends on how much you gonna spend.
Third, it depends on how convenience the case is: fans, usb3.0 ...

If you prefer something small, you can take a look at these brands :
- Zotac Silver Stone
- Factal
- Lian Li

If you prefer something huge, you can take a look at these brands :
- Cooler Master
- Factal
- NZTX
- Corsair
- Thermaltake
So, to choose a right case, actually it is a very hard decision. :))
For example, Case CM - N200:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mini-tower/n200.html
could be a very good choice for someone who needs usb 3.0, cheap, small form factor but can support big graphic card, SSD, 3 fans...
I like linear switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:26:51 »

Something like this:

Show Image

No do not leave it horizontal like that.

Dust will settle in the small grooves, and if the humidity is just right.. some small shorts can occur.

Use a regular case, and just open the side door, so the setup is vertical, and the dust will not settle directly on the pcb

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:08:56 »
Anyone have a fishtank submerged computer they wanna post up?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:54:14 »
What about one mounted in a mini refrigerator?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:02:24 »

Something like this:

Show Image

I've ALWAYS wanted to do this.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:13:46 »
What about one mounted in a mini refrigerator?

Bad idea. mini-frig cannot pull heat away fast enough to make it worth your while.

On top of that, you still have to deal with condensation.

Also, exotics such as compressor cooling is non-practical for 24/7 use unless you wire the computer to be in the basement.  WAY TOO LOUD otherwise

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:24:51 »
I've done that, but only while testing hardware and only for a few minutes.

I would not want to leave a PC like that - apart from fingers and pets, dust would accumulate.  Cooling would suffer.  EMI would increase.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:28:44 »

I would not want to leave a PC like that - apart from fingers and pets, dust would accumulate.  Cooling would suffer.  EMI would increase.

Cooling is always better in open configs.

EMI may increase, but Nothing in a normal desktop is terribly sensitive to EMI..

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:30:56 »

not when you have components specifically designed to dissapate heat with outside help. airflow, dawg!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:32:32 »

EMI may increase, but Nothing in a normal desktop is terribly sensitive to EMI..

Cooling in a hot humid room would be worse without fans directing airflow across the components.

I was thinking about EMI caused by the computer and affecting nearby devices.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nullstring

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:38:17 »
I'm partial to the antec three hundred two.

That Fractal Design R4 doesn't look too bad either.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 04:47:42 »
Probably just because I'm a fan of their KBs, Cooler Master makes some great looking towers. I wouldn't use one, as a laptop person, but you know.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Feign

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:07:37 »
I like the look of a lot of Lian Li stuff. I have a pretty beefy Lian Li PC-A76. Kinda looks like a Fractal Design R4 - also nice.

Offline lucifurburch

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 03:45:52 »
I'm a big fan of case labs they make cases with a range of customizable options most of them are more like server cases then your typical pc. i have the MAGNUM STH10 i got it because it has a lot of room for water cooling and cable management also its hidden hard drive/ssd bays are nice. Its good if you need a lot of internal space but want a professional looking gaming pc.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 04:08:32 »
My ideal case would be a solid matte black perfectly shaped rectangular prism. The on button would be capacitive touch, and have zero visual indication to it's location. It would have to be extra tall to allow for the cd drives and the like to be on the back of the case with the ports. None of those stupid clear side panels either. I instantly hate your computer if it has a clear side panel.

Actually I would like most things to be matte black rectangular prisms. I am not one for flair.

Also it's 1/8 inch thick anodized titanium.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 04:32:31 »
I use an 800d with no LEDs.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 05:19:06 »
Fractal Design XL R2 is wonderful!

I have a thread where people suggested alot of good cases here

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46100.msg970080#msg970080
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:08:56 »
Accidentally drop a coin down there and witness the magic smoke. (happened to me... not fun ... :( )

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:15:41 »
I JUST USE A BEIGE BOX CASE WITH MY BEIGE KEYBOARD. THEY BOTH WERE FROM THE 90'S SO THEY GO GREAT TOGETHER.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:53:39 »
CaseLabs!!! I'm a bit of a fan...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:07:02 »
I currently use a Model M connected to a Mac mini.

Could go either way ...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:19:48 »
EEW
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:30:35 »
I hate how they call anything with lights "gamer", I don't know what lighted fans have to do with gaming. It's just a lame marketing ploy.
Most of my lighted fans, I cut the leads to the lights.

I'm more a fan of the cube/refrigerator look, just a small ominous black box with decent cooling works for me.
And then I shove them in a corner of my basement. LOL

Personal favorites are the Fractal Core 1000 and the cheap Powerspec line. $25-$40 for a full mesh fronted MATX case... I've had 3 of each. With very little modding you can put a 240mm watercooler in front and with a bit of work. I even converted a Core 1000 to full ATX. All with plenty of airflow.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion