Author Topic: Need help with flickering LED monitor!  (Read 1752 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Need help with flickering LED monitor!
« on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:01:34 »

Hello my fellow geeks

Here’s a technical question that I’m hoping someone more geeky than me can answer.

I have a 22” LG monitor that is 5 years old. It was used maybe 10 hours a day on average for the past 5 years. I have no complaints about the resolution or color. The graphics card and software/ drivers haven’t changed for a long time and I have other monitors hooked up with no issue.

Recently the monitor has started flickering and flashing jagged colored lines across the screen. This never happens in the first hour of usage, but the flashing starts getting worse and worse rapidly and becomes unusable soon. I turn off the monitor and after an hour turn it back on, and it works again for a while before the flashing comes back.

I have wondered if the monitor is flashing because it got overheated, but the slight warmth doesn’t feel any hotter than my other, non flashing monitors.

I have tried connecting it to other computers, I have tried changing the power cable, I have tried the VGA and the HDMI ports and the flashing always comes back. But never in the first hour of usage from a cold start. So I am guessing there is something to do with usage or some internal component being overheated, but I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

I keep the monitor fairly dust free, but possibly dust inside has caused the monitor to overheat and malfunction? But problem is, I can’t feel that heat when I touch the monitor.

Can anyone help?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Linkbane

Re: Need help with flickering LED monitor!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:27:54 »

Hello my fellow geeks

Here’s a technical question that I’m hoping someone more geeky than me can answer.

I have a 22” LG monitor that is 5 years old. It was used maybe 10 hours a day on average for the past 5 years. I have no complaints about the resolution or color. The graphics card and software/ drivers haven’t changed for a long time and I have other monitors hooked up with no issue.

Recently the monitor has started flickering and flashing jagged colored lines across the screen. This never happens in the first hour of usage, but the flashing starts getting worse and worse rapidly and becomes unusable soon. I turn off the monitor and after an hour turn it back on, and it works again for a while before the flashing comes back.

I have wondered if the monitor is flashing because it got overheated, but the slight warmth doesn’t feel any hotter than my other, non flashing monitors.

I have tried connecting it to other computers, I have tried changing the power cable, I have tried the VGA and the HDMI ports and the flashing always comes back. But never in the first hour of usage from a cold start. So I am guessing there is something to do with usage or some internal component being overheated, but I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

I keep the monitor fairly dust free, but possibly dust inside has caused the monitor to overheat and malfunction? But problem is, I can’t feel that heat when I touch the monitor.

Can anyone help?

I don't want to be that guy, but perhaps it's time to get a new, high-quality monitor considering how much you use it.
Sorry for not having any technical advice.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:29:55 »
No idea sorry :(  Might want to try somewhere like OCN or HardForum if you don't get anything useful here.  I'm wondering if it's some heating-related expansion/connection interrupt with a bad solder joint, given the flickering.  Can you take it apart and inspect the control board? 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:57:58 »
I had similar problem on old Samsung I had. Capacitors on the power board were going bad. I fixed it for like $3.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:40:07 »
Ivan, how do you figure out a bad capacitator? Monitor is off warranty already, so I can experiment to my heart's content.

I had similar problem on old Samsung I had. Capacitors on the power board were going bad. I fixed it for like $3.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:40:48 »
Any cylinders that look bloated or even bursting would be a visible sign of a bad capacitor. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:01:09 »
I just replaced bad capacitor with better poly and it was good as new. It lasted for awhile until I decided I wanted to remove the AG coating since it had gotten all scuffed up, but I was too hasty and ripped the polarizer layer thus trashing the panel.