Author Topic: Scale that can count.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Scale that can count.
« on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 07:16:49 »
Does anyone know where I can get a decent scale that can count items based on what a certain number of them weigh?

The reason I ask is my enabler group buy I will have to be counting out something like 2000 PCBs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Scale that can count.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 07:18:34 »
Won't each of the little PCBs be the same weight? So you measure one and get that weight. Then you math and figure out how much you need per order. So if 1 PCB = 1g, then 200 PCBs = 200g.

So you just keep throwing PCBs on the scale until you reach your calculated weight.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 07:32:00 »
But that involves maths.  I suppose I could to that or even by height since they aren't going to have anything soldered on per shipping.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 07:34:32 »
If you do one maths in Excel, you can get excel to do the rest of the maths and make your life easy. Just one maths!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:14:58 »
Won't each of the little PCBs be the same weight? So you measure one and get that weight. Then you math and figure out how much you need per order. So if 1 PCB = 1g, then 200 PCBs = 200g.

So you just keep throwing PCBs on the scale until you reach your calculated weight.

I actually recommend weighing 10 of them at time and do that 10 times or so so that you get a range and an average weight.  Many scales will not be accurate enough for just one at a time and you will have some natural variances in weight.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:20:12 »
Yeah, if I did it by weight I was going to weigh out 100 of them and go from there.  But I think I will get tighter tolerances by measuring the thickness and going of height stacks then by weight.  Especially if they are for the most part still attached in groups of three.  Though I am not sure how their manufacturing method goes for medium and large run stuffs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:24:33 »
I actually recommend weighing 10 of them at time and do that 10 times or so so that you get a range and an average weight.  Many scales will not be accurate enough for just one at a time and you will have some natural variances in weight.

You're right of course, I was just using simple numbers to make my point.