Author Topic: WTH is going on with my monitor!  (Read 3442 times)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
WTH is going on with my monitor!
« on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:29:51 »
Hopefully I posted in the right section. Figured someone here would know what's going on.

https://vid.me/mKTd

I have a Viewsonic vx2433wm 24" monitor connected to my Macbook Pro Retina 13" via HDMI.

Every time it wakes up, I get either a static flickering screen or a screen with a pink hue. I can fix the problem in 1 of 3 ways

* Putting the mac to sleep and waking it up again will fix the problem (usually have to do 2-3 times).

* Turn off/on monitor (have to do once, sometimes twice)

* Unplugging or replugging in HDMI cord

It's really beginning to bug me that I have to mess with the monitor every time the computer wakes up from sleep or powers up but I can't justify spending money on another monitor since the monitor is fully functional otherwise.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Coreda

Re: WTH is going on with my monitor!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:38:14 »
Ah, Instagram mode.

I have no idea. Some monitors have issues when exiting power saving modes (including my own), which is why I normally turn off the monitor when shutting down.

Have you googled for issues with that monitor? If it's common usually there will be other posts about it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:40:01 by Coreda »

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:44:17 »
Ah, Instagram mode.

Show Image

I have no idea. Some monitors have issues when exiting power saving modes (including my own), which is why I normally turn off the monitor when shutting down.

Have you googled for issues with that monitor? If it's common usually there will be other posts about it.

Yes, Google was the first place I looked. Nothing there.

Which monitor do you have and what problems does it have when exiting power mode?

Shutting down the monitor when I turn off my computer or sleep it, or go to bed for the night wouldn't help in my case because it has problems from the wake up.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:49:17 »

Which monitor do you have and what problems does it have when exiting power mode?

Shutting down the monitor when I turn off my computer or sleep it, or go to bed for the night wouldn't help in my case because it has problems from the wake up.

It's an older 1440p Dell which can have some noisy color issues on one half. Haven't done too much testing but have read standby exacerbates the issue which is why I usually turn it off.

A quick googling for pink screen monitor issues returns some results that suggest it may be an issue with either the video cable or number of lamp hours. Have you tried a different video cable?

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:53:22 »

It's an older 1440p Dell which can have some noisy color issues on one half. Haven't done too much testing but have read standby exacerbates the issue which is why I usually turn it off.

A quick googling for pink screen monitor issues returns some results that suggest it may be an issue with either the video cable or number of lamp hours. Have you tried a different video cable?

Yes! Have tried 2 different HDMI cables and problem still persists.

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:17:39 »
Can you try a different video source?  Different PC/laptop/video card?

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:24:29 »

That's actually a good idea. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Other laptop uses VGA though and i don't have a VGA cable.

Edit: Found out other laptop uses HDMI, plugged it in, played with it, put to sleep a few time and woke up it (no problems).

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:34:45 by 1swt2gs »

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:53:32 »

That's actually a good idea. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Other laptop uses VGA though and i don't have a VGA cable.

Edit: Found out other laptop uses HDMI, plugged it in, played with it, put to sleep a few time and woke up it (no problems).

Sounds like the video card is dying.  I had a 280 GTX from EVGA that did that after a year and a half on the stock cooler.  My previous 7800 GTX still runs (if I could find all the parts to the cooler).  Since then, I won't run a video card on the stock cooler.  For every 10°C you can drop the operating temp on any electronics, you can expect approximately a 50% increase in life span.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:55:18 »

Sounds like the video card is dying.  I had a 280 GTX from EVGA that did that after a year and a half on the stock cooler.  My previous 7800 GTX still runs (if I could find all the parts to the cooler).  Since then, I won't run a video card on the stock cooler.  For every 10°C you can drop the operating temp on any electronics, you can expect approximately a 50% increase in life span.

Are we talking video card on the Mac?

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:57:20 »

Yes.  Though I don't know **** about Mac hardware, so I couldn't tell you if it has a dedicated video processor (I would assume so since it is the Pro and not the Air), so I could be off base here.  But that is what the symptoms point to in my head.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:59:21 »

Yes.  Though I don't know **** about Mac hardware, so I couldn't tell you if it has a dedicated video processor (I would assume so since it is the Pro and not the Air), so I could be off base here.  But that is what the symptoms point to in my head.

I hope its not the video card, as the laptop is pretty new (<1 year old).

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 17:33:29 »
I hope its not the video card, as the laptop is pretty new (<1 year old).

Should be covered under warranty then, surely.

(also blue avatars represent ^-^)