Author Topic: [IC] Alter - An Affordable (Hopefully) TGR Alice Clone  (Read 64611 times)

Offline anonymous

[IC] Alter - An Affordable (Hopefully) TGR Alice Clone
« on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:47:04 »
Presenting Alter

Alter features a sleek design without any complicated curves  or cutouts. The goal of this case is to be cheaper than previous GBs of Alice clones.

This kit will be sold through kbdfans as an in-stock item. After selling the pre-made units, we plan to run a group buy.

Details about the case:
  • 3 piece design (top case, top mount plate, bottom cover)
  • Top piece is anodized 6063 aluminum (Tentative)
  • Wedge shaped bottom cover with brass weight
  • PCB included
  • Compatible with top mount usb port ONLY
  • Top/Burger mount. Uses the same plate as the original Alice + regular caps lock support (not reflected on renders but will be edited)
  • 7 degree typing angle
  • 18.5mm front lip height (not including the height of bump-ons)

Tentative Price: 300$ or less for kit with PCB

Colors: TBD

Renders (Bottom case design render is outdated) :
More

IC Form: https://forms.gle/sKfatv4w195uzqoW8

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/hMtt7BU

May 14,2020 Update

Just a small update, there's a potential partnership with KBDfans. This means that the keyboard will be an in-stock item and will not be offered via GB. This ensures that it will be sold at the lowest price possible and with minimal logistical issues. At this point, the quantity is to be determined but it will be based on the demand during the IC phase.

With regards to the design, I already have a 3D printed prototype as well as a pcb. So far, the plate and pcb fits. An aluminum proto will be produced by KBDfans in the following months. I have a few changes on the case but it's just some small details. Overall look will still be the same.

Since it's an in-stock item, we're planning to just offer one material for the plate and bottom piece. For the plate, it will be brass. Other plate material might be offered as an add-on. For the bottom cover, we're choosing between thick angled aluminum or standard 3mm flat brass. We plan to make a proto of the two types of bottom cover to compare.

Prototype pcb

3D Printed Case

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:16:23 by anonymous »

Offline FinalEleven

Re: [IC] Alter - An Affordable (Hopefully) TGR Alice Clone
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:49:12 »
IC form link is broken.

Also should make a render of GMK Alter on Alter

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:49:36 »
FINALLY!  Been waiting for a board with this layout.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline anonymous

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:50:37 »
IC form link is broken.

Also should make a render of GMK Alter on Alter

IC form fixed!

Hmm, I'll try to make a render of it. Maybe before the GB

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 05:36:23 »
This is a rather interesting concept...

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 05:39:07 »
Not a fan of the “spiky” front edge; would be nicer if it were flat / squared off like on the Alice. Looks p good otherwise, and could be something I'm interested in (if the front is changed).

The double connectors seem... odd.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:26:14 by konstantin »

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:04:01 »
nice concept, simple design, should reduce price of manufacturing..
re; the double connector render - if it's not clear, this is done in order to allow both 'styles' of PCB that are currently swimming around - the top mounded or bottom soldered usb connectors. It kind of makes this a logical 'upgrade' for anyone with an acrylic alice.

Offline quadrotiles

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:11:54 »
This looks really nice! Personally, I'm not a fan of the squared off front on the alice and much prefer the pointed front or a rounded front lol
Also, I can see the option of getting this with pcb being very popular, considering how fast the pcbs are selling these days :)
I'm definitely interested! Just please have international proxies or something. I had to pass on the rukia because I'd be paying like 150 euros extra just for being international ;_;

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:17:54 »
re; the double connector render - if it's not clear, this is done in order to allow both 'styles' of PCB that are currently swimming around - the top mounded or bottom soldered usb connectors. It kind of makes this a logical 'upgrade' for anyone with an acrylic alice.

Righto, I didn't know there was a bottom mounted variant. Makes sense then!

Offline Scucka

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:21:33 »
I love it!

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:42:42 »

Righto, I didn't know there was a bottom mounted variant. Makes sense then!

yes! btw agree with you on the 'spiky' front edge instead of the flat edge of the original. As in, I prefer the original flat front!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:52:13 »
Yes, please!  :thumb:

Is the country question more for Paypal fees?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 07:02:51 »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:38:22 »

Relax with the sarcasm there buddy, I think this is actually the first Alice IC/GB to pop up this week.

Show Image

I was gonna say. Not to knock the rest of the project, but this is (unintentionally?) the coolest thing here.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:06:49 »

Relax with the sarcasm there buddy, I think this is actually the first Alice IC/GB to pop up this week.

Show Image

I was gonna say. Not to knock the rest of the project, but this is (unintentionally?) the coolest thing here.
The only way it could be cooler is if there was some reversible insert which blocked off the unused half.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:20:23 »
Hoping to see a sound test with a prototype; the gap between the bottom of the PCB to the top of the bottom cover seems pretty huge. You might want to make that thicker to optimize it for acoustics

Offline BigBabyJesus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:20:48 »
Wooow! It's beautiul!  :eek:

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:48:36 »
Pretty sweet, especially if you can deliver on that price!

Also, first custom I've seen with two holes and a taint:
239882-0

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:56:28 »
I'm in the market for a Alice keyboard, so sign me up!

Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:34:31 »
Yes please.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 10:52:01 »
I've wanted to try this layout for a while so I'd be in for one for sure. Using both USB connectors seems like it could become problematic though. I'd probably just pick one and go with it. Realistically you're not going to please everyone regardless of which option you choose anyway.

Offline beekey

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 13:20:52 »
Is the front the same as Alice? Would the original wrist rest fit? There is an IC going on right now: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105007.0

Offline zerofltexx

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:04:59 »
Signed up! Also I second the flat front, want to get Alice wrist rest for this

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 23:19:37 »
I have a 3d printed Alice case with "spiky" front and I prefer the flat front on OG Alice too.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline delet_d

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 12:14:44 »
Would get if it fit the original wrist rest: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105007.0

Also not a big fan of the double usb, I would prefer usb-c only.

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 15:32:33 »
Would be pretty nice if the front profile fit all of the existing Alice wrist rests. Also surprised how people haven't caught on that the render is just showing that the hole supports clone pcbs that have connectors on the bottom rather than the top of the pcb.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:06:27 »
Also surprised how people haven't caught on that the render is just showing that the hole supports clone pcbs that have connectors on the bottom rather than the top of the pcb.

It was cleared up near the start of the thread after I had wondered about the same thing. I guess it isn't obvious enough form the OP — the picture with the two connectors is much more conspicuous and eye-catching than the little bullet point that reads:
  • Compatible with top mount and bottom mount usb port
and people have a tendency to skim.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:14:26 »
Pointy ass chin thoughhhh
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline anonymous

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 21:23:15 »
Re: Conpatibility with existing wrist rests

It's hard to make it compatible unless I have the model for the OG Alice. If people want a wrist rest, I can also make one that is compatible with my design

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 21:44:36 »
I'd be in for a wrist rest!

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 22:01:11 »
Re: Conpatibility with existing wrist rests

It's hard to make it compatible unless I have the model for the OG Alice. If people want a wrist rest, I can also make one that is compatible with my design

Yuktsi posted a file for wrist rest

Edit: here's the link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95054.msg2605311#msg2605311
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 22:33:28 by yicaoyimu »
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Tree_

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 23:07:19 »
Gonna be honest, as nice as this is: When I see "affordable", $300USD is not even close to what I imagine.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:37:18 »
Gonna be honest, as nice as this is: When I see "affordable", $300USD is not even close to what I imagine.
$300 is way cheaper than all the other Alice-style boards. If you want a cheaper one, the Lisa is the board for you.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 03:12:44 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

- It now only supports top mount usb ports (USB-C and USB Mini)

- Added a logo on the bottom cover (let me know what you think!)

- Created an alternate bottom cover that is thicker. This is still tentative since this will cost more

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds
- support for rgb underglow

I will post a major update once I finalize the case design and material options for plate and bottom cover

Offline bard

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 03:28:03 »
what would be the price for the brass bottom option? :O

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 05:56:59 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

Show Image

Show Image

- Created an alternate bottom cover that is thicker. This is still tentative since this will cost more
Show Image

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds

I will post a major update once I finalize the case design and material options for plate and bottom cover

Wait so you've done away with the cool double-wide hole in the back, added a giant brass weight that needs to be machined, as well as an engraving on that weight? I feel as though that doesn't bode well for trying to keep the board affordable.

I feel like the real win here would be doing a 0° full aluminum board.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 06:33:23 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds

Wait so you've done away with the cool double-wide hole in the back, added a giant brass weight that needs to be machined, as well as an engraving on that weight? I feel as though that doesn't bode well for trying to keep the board affordable.

I feel like the real win here would be doing a 0° full aluminum board.

There is no assurance that those would be offered once the GB is live. I still need to get quotes for that and if the price is still lower than previous Alice GBs then those will be offered as an option. I just made that as an option.

Also, it doesn't have to be brass. It can be made with polycarbonate or aluminum

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 06:50:23 »
I'm down for any Alice layouts. The engraving looks sick ngl

Offline chaos2404

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 09:27:23 »
wow, cool price ;D

no logo on top case?

and other material option for top case?
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2020, 09:29:08 by chaos2404 »

Offline freespam

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 14:58:11 »

I've been waiting for an alice offshoot with trackpoint.  Or non-bluetooth wireless with replaceable batteries. 

Offline kchlam

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 16:37:46 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds

That thicker bottom will definitely help with better acoustics!! How much more are will talking about?

Offline krey

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:50:47 »
ooo that thick bottom. so pretty.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:10:27 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds

The wedge case bottom and usb cutout looks clean! Nice job. I noticed the case screw placement. Any reason why you’re not just placing 4 screws evenly on the top an bottom?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:18:32 »
A little update:

Case revisions:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

PCB Details:

- top mount usb-c
- no in-switch leds

Just a tip, those bumpons look kinda weird, I would use rubber strips instead

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:47:35 »
Looking good! Not usually one for logos but that looks pretty nice on the bottom like that.

Offline MMMike

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:59:22 »
I'm not crazy about that logo. First prize would be no logo to keep the cost down, but if you absolutely need to put a logo on, I think it deserves more thought and direction. Looks more like a doodle than a design.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:27:40 by MMMike »

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 22:40:17 »
I'm not crazy about that logo. First prize would be no logo to keep the cost down, but if you absolutely need to put a logo on, I think it deserves more though and direction. Looks more like doodles than a design.
It looks like the name Alter is in the logo itself. I'd imagine the designer really tried to make it a part of the logo

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 22:56:06 »
I'm not crazy about that logo. First prize would be no logo to keep the cost down, but if you absolutely need to put a logo on, I think it deserves more though and direction. Looks more like doodles than a design.
It looks like the name Alter is in the logo itself. I'd imagine the designer really tried to make it a part of the logo

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That's what I thought as well, it really looked like Alter is the logo.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 06:48:27 »
Really like the logo myself, kinda like my name, so yeah, I'm biased.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline orangesoh

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 07:50:00 »
I think if the logo is smaller, it will look nicer (aesthetic) imo