Author Topic: Vim Keycaps  (Read 32220 times)

Offline potatowire

Re: Vim Keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 20:06:54 »
Ordered a set of each -- expect you'll see a bit of pushback on that shipping, though -- $10.00 is a little stiff for shipping a few keycaps. Good luck with the sale!

Thank you! I saw that about the shipping, and I apparently missed the shipping field. I thought it was going to fill the shipping based on actual location. It looks like yours will just be a couple bucks, and I will refund you the difference when I make sure I did it right.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 20:14:59 »
Ordered a set of each -- expect you'll see a bit of pushback on that shipping, though -- $10.00 is a little stiff for shipping a few keycaps. Good luck with the sale!

Thank you! I saw that about the shipping, and I apparently missed the shipping field. I thought it was going to fill the shipping based on actual location. It looks like yours will just be a couple bucks, and I will refund you the difference when I make sure I did it right.
Sweet! No need to refund the difference on mine since I did buy seeing the shipping as it was. I expect you'll sell out fast now that that's changed, though. Thank you again for making these available!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 20:26:59 »

Sweet! No need to refund the difference on mine since I did buy seeing the shipping as it was. I expect you'll sell out fast now that that's changed, though. Thank you again for making these available!

Thank you for being very understanding!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:45:05 »
I'll also set a 50% (at least) refund bounty to the first purchaser who gets me better product photos than the crappy ones I have on the vimcaps.com site now.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:17:45 »
These are really nice but I'm not sure whether I will ever have MX with caps in these profile. I was however looking for these before I went Topre.

I'm looking for some vim advice. I learnt to touch type at the same time I learnt to use vim. The issue is that I learnt to touch type in colemak so I have become semi-proficient in vim but in colemak. For me my HJKL position is a little unorthodox. I know there are addons that map qwerty to colemak vim positions but this is slightly redundant for me as I never really learnt vim with those positions. But on the other hand there are benefits to using the qwerty positions. HJKL for example is very accessible in qwerty, arguably more than colemak.

Is anyone else in a similar situation. I might still buy these as I do like the look of some nice legends.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:21:48 »
These are really nice but I'm not sure whether I will ever have MX with caps in these profile. I was however looking for these before I went Topre.

I'm looking for some vim advice. I learnt to touch type at the same time I learnt to use vim. The issue is that I learnt to touch type in colemak so I have become semi-proficient in vim but in colemak. For me my HJKL position is a little unorthodox. I know there are addons that map qwerty to colemak vim positions but this is slightly redundant for me as I never really learnt vim with those positions. But on the other hand there are benefits to using the qwerty positions. HJKL for example is very accessible in qwerty, arguably more than colemak.

Is anyone else in a similar situation. I might still buy these as I do like the look of some nice legends.
I'm not sure there's a easy answer for Vim and Colemak, but I think Aimee makes a good argument for going with the flow and using HJKL in their normal Colemak positions. It doesn't do much for the aesthetics if you used these keys, so I guess I am doing the opposite of making a good sell...

Offline jmeekhof

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:48:29 »
I just order the full set (capslock x2) and the hjkl as a Dvorak vim user. Although some of the aesthetic is ruined, the concept is still good. I know I'll always have the caps lock replacement on my keyboard. The direction keys will probably rotate through.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 03:26:32 »
I just order the full set (capslock x2) and the hjkl as a Dvorak vim user. Although some of the aesthetic is ruined, the concept is still good. I know I'll always have the caps lock replacement on my keyboard. The direction keys will probably rotate through.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Are you a Vim user?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline potatowire

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:49:12 »
Well, all the orders I have so far have gone out, except for two with address confusion. Long way to go before I break even, but thank you for the support thus far.

Offline jmeekhof

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:07:16 »
:i
Yes<esc>
:x

Welcome to Geekhack!

Are you a Vim user?

Offline shawn24

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 21:18:07 »
mx only? I want it on my hhkb ..

Offline potatowire

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 21:36:07 »

I'm open to it, if the ones I have sell, and I can figure out who could make Topre keys...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:18:42 »

I'm open to it, if the ones I have sell, and I can figure out who could make Topre keys...

Woudn't just getting sliders be the better option?

I'm going to put my order in eventually, been spending way too much money lately.  :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline potatowire

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 13:18:13 »

I'm going to put my order in eventually, been spending way too much money lately. 
I definitely like that option, but that may just be because it's easier for me...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 13:31:38 »

I'm going to put my order in eventually, been spending way too much money lately. 
I definitely like that option, but that may just be because it's easier for me...

I think it would be too costly and time consuming to made a topre version, ctrlalt should be having sliders going up on their store soon anyways.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline potatowire

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 20:07:41 »

I think it would be too costly and time consuming to made a topre version, ctrlalt should be having sliders going up on their store soon anyways.

That would be a decent compromise for anyone who wants to switch their Topre board over to a DSA or SA set. I would love to have an option for someone who just wants to replace five keys, but I think you're probably right, it would be too costly and time consuming to create Topre versions.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:02:35 »
I would love it if one of my international buyers would confirm receipt of their package, so I know I did everything right (tariff codes, declarations, etc.) . A post, PM, email, or whatever would be appreciated and would stop me from worrying. Thank you!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:05:57 »
I'm thinking about stocking up on some blank keysets colors I can't find elsewhere (but want for myself). My question, for those of you who bought Vim Caps, is whether you would want to add the caps as they are now to an otherwise blank set, or would you instead want blank, Vim green caps and HJKL keys.

In other words, does a board with blanks have to be all blank to look good?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:31:55 »

Personally I think so, yes, but others might feel differently.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:48:17 »
 :t

Personally I think so, yes, but others might feel differently.

That's my instinct, too. Hopefully some other folks will weigh in with their opinions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 03:18:08 »

Not necessarily.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline potatowire

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 06:15:30 »

Not necessarily.

That does look good...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:55:58 »

Not necessarily.

That does look good...

Agreed, can't argue with that.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 07:57:01 »
My newest board.

I'm really hoping to sell the rest of my extras, so tell your friends!

vimcaps.com

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 12:59:09 »
My newest board.

Show Image

I'm really hoping to sell the rest of my extras, so tell your friends!

vimcaps.com

Just picked up a set of each.  :thumb:

Offline potatowire

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:24:16 »
Awesome, thank you!

Offline Liocer

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:58:41 »
Ordered :D

Offline potatowire

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:26:24 »
Hey Liocer, apparently I somehow missed this, sorry! By now though, you should have your caps, and I hope you like them.

Offline Liocer

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 03:38:05 »

Hey Liocer, apparently I somehow missed this, sorry! By now though, you should have your caps, and I hope you like them.

Yep got them here in the uk. You've already seen pics of them on my Planck :)

Offline potatowire

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 09:13:00 »

Yep got them here in the uk. You've already seen pics of them on my Planck :)

I'm a dummy and can't be trusted with multiple threads, obviously.

Such a great Planck, too...

Offline frarees

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ WANGERZ
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:25:56 »
Placed my order! Both DSA and SA kits. Full support :thumb:

I'd like to see them in a SA Retro kit, so it's time to search for it..  ;D

Offline potatowire

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 16:27:22 »
Placed my order! Both DSA and SA kits. Full support :thumb:

I'd like to see them in a SA Retro kit, so it's time to search for it..  ;D

Here are a couple of pics of mine:

Thank you for the order!

Offline tedk

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 11:24:36 »
hey potatowire... my package arrived today, everythings fine...BUT...

when i asked you why shipping to germany is $15, you answered "its what usps charges me".
you guys maybe guess what my face was like when i saw the envelope... im not accusing you of anything (i dont know the details), but this is ****... somewhere in the line....

140380-0

-.-

Offline potatowire

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 14:26:46 »

when i asked you why shipping to germany is $15, you answered "its what usps charges me".
you guys maybe guess what my face was like when i saw the envelope... im not accusing you of anything (i dont know the details), but this is ****... somewhere in the line....

(Attachment Link)

-.-

I'm not expecting you to have followed my website changes and cash flow travails (mostly took place on Reddit, since that was where 95% of my orders originated), but my store used to have Shopify as a backend. When it did, shipping to Germany cost $13-something to which I added $1.50 for shipping materials and "handling."

Since I moved to PayPal as a backend, shipping is cheaper, allowing me to do "free shipping" for US and international orders, but I made the change at the same time as I made a general price hike. Selling Vim keycaps is not a good business, and I didn't really expect it to be.

I'm sorry you feel cheated. Send me back the keycaps and I will refund you the full purchase price.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 17:03:07 »
Those DSA ones look great. I will definitely pick them up even if I am not using VIM :)

Offline tedk

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 12:11:27 »
i really do like the caps, but /that/ ($3.23 <> $15) just leaves a bad aftertaste.

fyi - i come home, see the KB and smile ...

(Attachment Link)

-.-

I'm not expecting you to have followed my website changes and cash flow travails (mostly took place on Reddit, since that was where 95% of my orders originated), but my store used to have Shopify as a backend. When it did, shipping to Germany cost $13-something to which I added $1.50 for shipping materials and "handling."

Since I moved to PayPal as a backend, shipping is cheaper, allowing me to do "free shipping" for US and international orders, but I made the change at the same time as I made a general price hike. Selling Vim keycaps is not a good business, and I didn't really expect it to be.

I'm sorry you feel cheated. Send me back the keycaps and I will refund you the full purchase price.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 17:21:52 »
Those DSA ones look great. I will definitely pick them up even if I am not using VIM :)

Thank you for your support, LeandreN. I really appreciate it.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 18:46:22 »
Just found out about vim caps and I'm sad to see that they aren't being sold anymore :(

Are there any plans to restock or do another profile? I'd like to see them in my beloved DCS profile  :p