Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet II - LIVE until October 30th  (Read 44467 times)

Offline Techlet

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet II
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:16:44 »
Just took a closer look at the kits.

Is getting the entire blue base the only way to get mod colored tilde and pipe keys?

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 19:11:52 »
Nice. Pretty keen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 19:27:15 »
This is great news!

Mark me down for interested in gray mods. I’d love to see the blue alphas with gray mods. Kinda like an inverse kit. I would totally pick up both if that happens.

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 19:41:48 »
yes!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 20:29:52 »
also interested in grey mods

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 20:47:14 »
This isn't Drops September set, is it?

Offline leexy

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 21:35:48 »
any chance of a standalone spacekeys kit?

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 21:53:40 »
+1 on 2 suggestions i saw, blue alphas only kit and gray mods !

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 22:48:45 »
In case anyone was wondering what changed (or missing keys) from Space Cadet R1. I circled them.

https://imgur.com/a/VZSJHHI

FYI: R1 was a monster of a kit with lots of compatibility.

Totally be down for a "gray only modifiers" - like, how UMKA modifiers was a thing.... just not for $160 please. no oh!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 22:52:29 by jimboytacos »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 22:51:16 »

Is getting the entire blue base the only way to get mod colored tilde and pipe keys?

This is either an oversight and should be a key to be added into base kit. Or THAT just might be your only option.

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 23:22:31 »
Mod kits are usually 100-110$ because MOQ 100. Umka was MOQ 50 or 75. If we were gonna get a mods only kit, it woulda happened with Oblivion R2, and if I remember right Oblotzky had quotes and it didn’t work well, and git/reg/monochrome became base kits.

So unless blue base becomes inverted (blue alpha/grey mods) it’s probably not happening. I’d have bought grey mods or white mods (w grey letters). Disclaimer-I own Umka.

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 23:55:43 »
People really be asking for changes on worlds greatest keyset. Smh my head
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 00:52:35 »
People really be asking for changes on worlds greatest keyset. Smh my head

2020’s wild. What was it...interest checks serve their purpose? maybe someone else will run grey mods as sessantacadet.

Offline TaurusTrades

• Taurus trades Etsy Store
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 01:12:12 »
Very cool!

Offline parablol

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 01:32:28 »
The original GB had ErgoDox, Ortholinear, and Colevrak kits. I can understand why those aren't included here. It's because they don't reach MOQ. Disappointing, but that's just how 2020 is.

I might join this for the novelties and small space keys, but no base. Not a fan of recent trend where sets that sold A LOT like this one and Laser for example have R2 structured where ya gotta buy 200+ keycaps just to get the ~50 ya actually want.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 01:44:32 by parablol »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 02:12:51 »
The original GB had ErgoDox, Ortholinear, and Colevrak kits. I can understand why those aren't included here. It's because they don't reach MOQ. Disappointing, but that's just how 2020 is.

I might join this for the novelties and small space keys, but no base. Not a fan of recent trend where sets that sold A LOT like this one and Laser for example have R2 structured where ya gotta buy 200+ keycaps just to get the ~50 ya actually want.

That's just GMK for you. I'm glad I got KAT Cadet.

Offline tonyle

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 02:15:18 »
I wish it would have yellow, red and white novelties such as symbiosis. Couldnt find cherry version of that set...

Offline VXQN

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 04:21:58 »

Would also like to see mod coloured tilde/pipe in base. Is the set actually open to changes, or is this just a "coming soon" kinda IC?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 08:11:15 »
Updated True Cadet to also include the three Numpad keys in blue to be compatible with Blue Base.

Regarding Gray Modifier kit requests: While I can see that looking great, I'm afraid that pricing for mod-addons has always been terrible so I'm not too keen on offering those type of kits in any of my GMK projects. However I'm looking at the newly arrived GMK ASCII in front of me and it's giving me ideas...

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 08:13:00 by Oblotzky »

Offline bukowski

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 08:56:06 »
With Intl-Kit *_*

I am in!

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 09:14:41 »

Regarding Gray Modifier kit requests: While I can see that looking great, I'm afraid that pricing for mod-addons has always been terrible so I'm not too keen on offering those type of kits in any of my GMK projects. However I'm looking at the newly arrived GMK ASCII in front of me and it's giving me ideas...

All gray base kit as well? :O

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 09:35:11 »

No, but something for the future.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 10:59:46 »
Yes! Classic.

I don't usually ask for anything, because the only MX-compatible keyboard I use these days is the Filco Minila...

There's actually a new Minila that just came out, and the layout is more GB-friendly. Since GMK now makes a 3u spacebar, which you've included, you're only missing two keys:
  • R4 1.75u (Ctrl or Hyper or Lock) key;
  • Additional (blue or grey) R4C 1.25u key, so that both are the same colour.

We cannot really expect a R4 1.75u (Ctrl or Hyper) in the base set... ca we? Asia is a big market... ;)

I understand that MiniVan support is omitted from the 40's kit, which would provide an alternate R4 1.75u Lock key.

There's a tendency to place Super in the Win/Meta key position. I wish more Unix-oriented sets would use Meta as the Win key, like this:

I guess for this set, you could swap Super and Meta.

The above is wrong.

I looked at some Linux documentation (Xorg) and indeed the Win key is Super, because Emacs uses Alt as Meta:
Due to being designed at the time of the space-cadet keyboard, X11 defined the shift states "Meta", "Super", and "Hyper" (along with "Shift" and "Control" and "Alt" which were commonly available on keyboards). Initially on PC hardware it was just impossible to produce these shift states as there was no key to push for them. The only software that commonly used these modifiers was Emacs.

With the appearance of keyboards with the Windows key there was now a key available on standard keyboards that could be used for one of these. Initially, circa 1996, it was most common to make this key be the "Meta" shift key. However, due to the high number of Emacs commands using "Meta", there were already long-established replacements (the Alt key acted as Meta, or typing Escape,X acted like Meta-X), so adding an actual Meta key did not provide much added functionality. This made Super the first key of interest in emulating, and therefore it became the standard assignment after a few years.

To avoid using a Microsoft trademark, much Linux documentation refers to the key as "Super". This can confuse some users who still consider it a "Windows key". In KDE Plasma documentation it is called the Meta key even though the X11 "Super" shift bit is used.[4][5]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key_(keyboard_button)
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:37:46 by voodoo6k »

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 12:37:08 »
@Oblotzky

Broooooo! I would love to get these sets, both blue and grey/blue base is clean AF. If you need help to get an Asia Vendor. I suggest Ilumkb. Just let me know i'll help you.

More like helping myself as well because i need this.  :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 16:32:22 »
ne hyper 7 compat avail

Edit:
Also, I have a nitpick:

There's a tendency to place Super in the Win/Meta key position. I wish more Unix-oriented sets would use Meta as the Win key, like this:

Show Image

Source: https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/

Meta originally meant Alt, not Win/Super/GUI.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 16:34:31 by konstantin »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 16:40:11 »
I cannot find a 6u space bar, is it missing?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 17:40:12 »
ne hyper 7 compat avail

Edit:
Also, I have a nitpick:

Show Image

Source: https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/

Are you sure? I'm no keyboard historian, but I was under the impression that the ◇/meta key was analogous to the Windows key.

I think Emacs maps M-key to Alt (not an Emacs user myself). However, on HHKB meta is mapped to win/command, no?

On the Space-cadet keyboard, the order "of apparition" seems to be Ctrl, Meta, Super and Hyper.

Anyway... I think Meta (written out) would probably look better combined with Fn/Menu, which won't be used here. So, either way.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 17:44:08 »

No, but something for the future.

I like where this is going...

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:14:54 »

Are you sure? I'm no keyboard historian, but I was under the impression that the ◇/meta key was analogous to the Windows key.

I think Emacs maps M-key to Alt (not an Emacs user myself). However, on HHKB meta is mapped to win/command, no?

On the Space-cadet keyboard, the order "of apparition" seems to be Ctrl, Meta, Super and Hyper.

Anyway... I think Meta (written out) would probably look better combined with Fn/Menu, which won't be used here. So, either way.

I mean, it's debatable because there is no 1–1 mapping between the old Ctrl, Meta, Super, Hyper and the modern Ctrl, Alt, GUI. Technically all of them can co-exist on a single keyboard (and, indeed, X on Linux supports all six). I mainly refer to the Emacs usage because it's pretty much the only consistent, direct link that's been around for as long as all of those keys have.

“Originally” is the wrong way of putting it, though, you're right about that; my bad. “Most closely matching” is a more accurate description.

Edit: re HHKB: That uses an empty diamond (♢), which is sometimes used to mean Super, whereas Meta is usually represented with a filled diamond ().
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:21:14 by konstantin »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:41:41 »
Updated True Cadet to also include the three Numpad keys in blue to be compatible with Blue Base.

Show Image

Show Image

Can you put space cadet alphas on ASCII modifiers and take a picture? I wanna see what that looks like.

Pretty please?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 23:34:55 »

I mean, it's debatable because there is no 1–1 mapping between the old Ctrl, Meta, Super, Hyper and the modern Ctrl, Alt, GUI. Technically all of them can co-exist on a single keyboard (and, indeed, X on Linux supports all six). I mainly refer to the Emacs usage because it's pretty much the only consistent, direct link that's been around for as long as all of those keys have.

“Originally” is the wrong way of putting it, though, you're right about that; my bad. “Most closely matching” is a more accurate description.

Edit: re HHKB: That uses an empty diamond (♢), which is sometimes used to mean Super, whereas Meta is usually represented with a filled diamond ().

Actually, you're right.

For some reason, I kept reading that Meta is Win. But I looked at some Linux documentation (Xorg) and indeed the Win key is Super, because Emacs uses Alt as Meta:
Due to being designed at the time of the space-cadet keyboard, X11 defined the shift states "Meta", "Super", and "Hyper" (along with "Shift" and "Control" and "Alt" which were commonly available on keyboards). Initially on PC hardware it was just impossible to produce these shift states as there was no key to push for them. The only software that commonly used these modifiers was Emacs.

With the appearance of keyboards with the Windows key there was now a key available on standard keyboards that could be used for one of these. Initially, circa 1996, it was most common to make this key be the "Meta" shift key. However, due to the high number of Emacs commands using "Meta", there were already long-established replacements (the Alt key acted as Meta, or typing Escape,X acted like Meta-X), so adding an actual Meta key did not provide much added functionality. This made Super the first key of interest in emulating, and therefore it became the standard assignment after a few years.

To avoid using a Microsoft trademark, much Linux documentation refers to the key as "Super". This can confuse some users who still consider it a "Windows key". In KDE Plasma documentation it is called the Meta key even though the X11 "Super" shift bit is used.[4][5]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key_(keyboard_button)

Offline break

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 23:53:12 »
This is happening whether I chime in or not, but: in for Blue Base and True Cadet.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 01:24:12 »
International has me locked in for base.. there is no chance to have blue alternative to International also?

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 09:29:46 »
Paragon renders

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 09:54:49 »
R5 True Cadet kit! :eek: Count me in for one of them & a 40's kit for that extra B.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 10:11:24 »
International has me locked in for base.. there is no chance to have blue alternative to International also?

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

it is doubthful that even the base color International set would reach MoQ.

Offline tr0yr0x

• TWICE Fanboi
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 14:02:06 »
I need this for my board!

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 11:57:43 »
Would you consider nav subledgends for the numpad ? It would look more consistent next to the double-legends of the alphas.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2020, 13:38:27 by Kawamashi »

Offline Brawlbeard

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 12:00:54 »
Any chance, you could add R5 Alt Gr Keycaps to the International Kit?
Would be nice for us EU guys to use them with the True Cadet Kit.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 18:07:24 »
Here's what SCII would look like on the new Minila-R convertible:

All you need is an extra R4 1.75u Hyper in base or forties, plus both 1.25u spacekeys in blue.

@Oblotzky, let's make this happen ;D

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 21:53:36 »
I love it when you choose to add key sizes to the kit renders, such a little thing but it makes a large difference in QOL. Thank you.

Offline Omarpixel9

• I like keyboards and pixels
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:52:30 »
I'm in  :thumb:
60% gasket mount

Offline baysic

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:59:44 »
Oh crap just joined the KAT group few months back. YOLO I guess, I'm in.

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 13:33:05 »
Love my space cadet R1 with blue alphas - definitely in for all the kits!
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 19:09:14 »
Set looks great, I'd love to have it for my Zenith.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 18:37:58 »
Signing in for the full blue set  :)

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 23:07:53 »
Any consideration for a 1u r3 rub out key for the 40s kit?

I'd be really nice for preonic users. Plus some polling shows more plank users use control and caps over r3 tab.

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 04:40:44 »
No text arrows?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline psxndc

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 09:11:46 »

I'd be really nice for preonic users. Plus some polling shows more plank users use control and caps over r3 tab.
+1 for this.
Ortho. Always.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 09:45:22 »
What are the extra numpad 0 and . keys in the True Cadet kit for? Nvm, just saw that they're R5.

+1 for this.

+2. Including generic keys like this for 40s and ortho is a good idea.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2020, 07:22:59 by konstantin »