Author Topic: [GB] GSKT-00 (Shipping almost finished, 80% done)  (Read 943160 times)

Offline bill_ng117

Re: [GB] GSKT-00 (Compiling orders for confirmation)
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 23:21:00 »
I would like to think that the reason I didn't make it in the GB was because I got that tootsie pop question wrong lul

Offline SirOmega

« Reply #551 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:05:44 »
1. Fair point, I will consider something less prone to problems with high traffic in the future.
2. This is not a basic thing, this is a thing I would want out of most GBs.  I like to build the same board multiple ways and have extra setups for almost everything I own, if I could have gotten extra units as part of the GB then I would have.  I wasn't going to restrict units to 1 per person just because people have a fear of flipper culture in the community.  Some people who got in right now for only one could sell it the second they get it for some higher price.  I can't police being afraid of flipping and I personally like having multiples.
3. Fair point for the first part.  The idea that only "influencers" own the original 00s is simply not true.  In fact, most of them were just my friends or acquaintances before I ever even thought of running a small buy for it.  Some of them went on to do bigger or better things than they were doing way back when, but in no way were they targeted high clout people.  There was no marketing stunt to try to increase hype by keeping it small, I just wanted to make a board for friends.  I'd love to be able to take credit for some masterful hype scheme but I can't.
4. It was a fair critique.

Can confirm number 3. I'm a no one in the community but I'm friends with Weaston so I have an original run 00.

Offline generic_panda

« Reply #552 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 07:06:02 »
Can't wait!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 07:31:12 »
I'm sure this is gonna cause the hate to rain down upon me, but I got 2 boards. But I want to do two builds (wkl and std) to fulfill my years goal of 3 60s. Shoot I would have got 3 if I could have, but will look elsewhere for my hhkb build. Plan on using both, switching out PCBs/switches/plates on the fly. Expect these to be my daily drivers for the foreseeable future (I won't be leaving home without one). And regardless of increased count, or increased spots, etc. there were always going to be people who missed out. That's just the way these things go. And increasing the GB size to greater numbers can be a ridiculous thing to manage for these releases.

So it's not just all flippers, there's valid reasons people could want 2. I get why weaston would allow that. It's always going to be rough, and I was disappointed I didn't get in on the first round, but I didn't blame the people who got 2. If I'd missed the second, there is still a full year of GBs ahead of us (probably loaded with gasket 60s), so plenty of other adrenaline inducing rushes to buy, haha. I already had other backup options in the pipeline.

That said, thanks weaston for giving us this opportunity. Can't wait to let the combos flow.

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 07:34:16 by Zeelobby »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #554 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:17:40 »
I'm sure this is gonna cause the hate to rain down upon me, but I got 2 boards. But I want to do two builds (wkl and std) to fulfill my years goal of 3 60s. Shoot I would have got 3 if I could have, but will look elsewhere for my hhkb build. Plan on using both, switching out PCBs/switches/plates on the fly. Expect these to be my daily drivers for the foreseeable future (I won't be leaving home without one). And regardless of increased count, or increased spots, etc. there were always going to be people who missed out. That's just the way these things go. And increasing the GB size to greater numbers can be a ridiculous thing to manage for these releases.

So it's not just all flippers, there's valid reasons people could want 2. I get why weaston would allow that. It's always going to be rough, and I was disappointed I didn't get in on the first round, but I didn't blame the people who got 2. If I'd missed the second, there is still a full year of GBs ahead of us (probably loaded with gasket 60s), so plenty of other adrenaline inducing rushes to buy, haha. I already had other backup options in the pipeline.

That said, thanks weaston for giving us this opportunity. Can't wait to let the combos flow.
I definitely wanted two, one for me and one for my dad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #555 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:21:52 »
Is shipping going to be included in the invoice?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #556 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:25:20 »
I definitely wanted two, one for me and one for my dad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's funny you say that, because after I try them out (extensively, lol) I'll probably gift one to my brother. He's also a developer, and I'm sure would appreciate the experience.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #557 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:26:50 »
this thread makes me wonder why ppl even bother to do public gbs
jfc

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #558 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:35:58 »
jfc

Because they want the money.

If they didn't care about the money, then everyone would do private GBs.

Offline nikkynak

« Reply #559 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:01:52 »
jfc

Its probably safe to say that group buys like this are done out of respect/appreciation for the community rather than profit. The logistical nightmare of working with both suppliers and customers throughout this process, from design to final shipment, far outweighs the marginal profit I'd HOPE weaston is able to take for himself for all the work.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:20:42 »
jfc

Its probably safe to say that group buys like this are done out of respect/appreciation for the community rather than profit. The logistical nightmare of working with both suppliers and customers throughout this process, from design to final shipment, far outweighs the marginal profit I'd HOPE weaston is able to take for himself for all the work.
Give me a break.

Why do we even have to compare or contrast the two? Making money and chasing fame aren't crimes, and organizing any groupbuy is work, no matter how small or large it is. You can try to make a buck, get prestige, and give to the community all at once. They aren't exclusive to each other.

Groupbuys like this are done for money. They are also done to get a name. They are also done to get nice boards in the hands of enthusiasts.

Offline rkarp

• hypertext.dev
« Reply #561 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:24:51 »
jfc

Give me a break.

Why do we even have to compare or contrast the two? Making money and chasing fame aren't crimes, and organizing any groupbuy is work, no matter how small or large it is. You can try to make a buck, get prestige, and give to the community all at once. They aren't exclusive to each other.

Groupbuys like this are done for money. They are also done to get a name. They are also done to get nice boards in the hands of enthusiasts.

Exactly - and there's nothing wrong with this. 

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #562 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:30:46 »
jfc

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing things for the money.

To think he is doing this GB out of the goodness of his heart and nothing more is just silly.

I have no idea of his margins for this project, but, at a minimum, he will boost his recognition for subsequent projects.

I've gotten CNC quotes and, at the price that he's selling for, the profit margin is going to be thin, but it's also not nothing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:32:45 by DukeEsquire »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #563 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 12:34:09 »
I mean the reality is after the hype of the OG release, he could have asked for a lot more and people probably would have paid. So while some can point to money rules all and there's no way this is out of the goodness of his heart, he also didn't milk the **** out of us. So props. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline zekth

« Reply #564 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 12:51:21 »
Just an idea. Instead of doing FCFS which is pretty rough for some people; personnally i was REALLY stressed when i filled everything, tried to be as fast as i could.
But why not just open for 5 minutes like some artisan makers do and Raffle in this window? It's a bit more random YES but it may be more fair for everyone (if there is no dibs or cherrypicking).

I'd prefer this format personnaly. But as long as not everyone win there will still be salt in the GB.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #565 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 13:02:07 »
Just an idea. Instead of doing FCFS which is pretty rough for some people; personnally i was REALLY stressed when i filled everything, tried to be as fast as i could.
But why not just open for 5 minutes like some artisan makers do and Raffle in this window? It's a bit more random YES but it may be more fair for everyone (if there is no dibs or cherrypicking).

I'd prefer this format personnaly. But as long as not everyone win there will still be salt in the GB.
FCFS keeps people from claiming its rigged. People who lose raffles blame the runner for rigging the draw. People who lose FCFS blame the system.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #566 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 14:15:59 »
Unless you stream the random selection process.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #567 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 14:26:01 »
Unless you stream the random selection process.
Well sure, but thats probably more work than a runner wants to do. I'm not saying they shouldn't do that. I'm just saying that FCFS is very minimal effort for a runner. It's not about being fair, its about seeming fair. We don't even know if the list created from the fcfs was done so without bias. We don't have timestamps, or a list of losers and their timings. We only have a list of people getting the board. Nobody questions that, but they WILL question a raffle without a streamed drawing

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #568 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 14:33:59 »
FCFS keeps people from claiming its rigged. People who lose raffles blame the runner for rigging the draw. People who lose FCFS blame the system.

I'm not particularly good at FCFS even (didn't win here eg.) and I still think it's way better and fairer than raffling stuff off - at least when the amount of units is fairly high. I can see raffles working well for artisans that do runs of like 5 caps with 15000 entries, but in most board FCFS it tends to reward those who are dedicated and interested enough.

This is a pretty bad example regardless because of the fact that the google form was down and the spam refreshing being staggered ruined some people's chances but when the form stays, I think it's generally the way to go.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 14:48:51 »
This group buy is the reason why I don't jive well with fcfs. Plus the fact that you were allowed to buy 2 boards. I wonder how many people from the discord gb got in on the geekhack gb just to flip?

Grats to those that got the board though. Cant wait to see those builds.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #570 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:06:10 »
This group buy is the reason why I don't jive well with fcfs. Plus the fact that you were allowed to buy 2 boards. I wonder how many people from the discord gb got in on the geekhack gb just to flip?

I got 10 pls pm me your vickrey bid thanks.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #571 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:14:11 »

Hey man, I've always been in support for the vickrey model. I think its absolutely the most fair model for this kind of thing, for both runners and consumers.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #572 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:21:59 »

I honestly think the people that want to flip this board is a lot smaller than you think.
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline ksc

« Reply #573 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:39:18 »
I really don't get why people are so caught up with potential "flipping" for this board.

First of all, there were more than 250 individuals interested in this board -- that is a fact.

If each person were to get only one board, it is almost guaranteed that the flip market would have FEWER boards and thus result in higher aftermarket prices. After all, some people just want the board because they actually want it.

Since people were allowed to buy 2 boards each, mechmarket will have many more boards up for sale (yes, from flippers), but the price would be LOWER since there would be more boards that people are trying to sell!

So, to those who are bummed they missed out and salty that people could purchase 2 boards each, at least you will be able to get them on mechmarket for a lower price than if you missed the group buy and units were limited to just one per person. And of course, you'd have a higher chance of getting a board from mechmarket too since there would be more boards purchased for the intention of flipping. More boards to flip = more boards available ASAP on mechmarket = higher chance you can find a board if you didn't get in the first 2 rounds.

Remember that just in the first few minutes of original form going up, more than 300 responses were submitted. As with the nature of group buys, lots of people will miss out. Let's say theoretically the board was limited to 1 per person. Chances are, you'd probably be unable to get a board either. There would be only 70 extra spots, and given the massive hype for this board, 70 is not all that much. For those who did miss out, you'd be paying higher prices aftermarket for this board (if it were limited to 1 per person) than if it were limited to up to 2 units per person. So y'all, look on the bright side.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #574 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:43:07 »
I really don't get why people are so caught up with potential "flipping" for this board.

First of all, there were more than 250 individuals interested in this board -- that is a fact.

If each person were to get only one board, it is almost guaranteed that the flip market would have FEWER boards and thus result in higher aftermarket prices. After all, some people just want the board because they actually want it.

Since people were allowed to buy 2 boards each, mechmarket will have many more boards up for sale (yes, from flippers), but the price would be LOWER since there would be more boards that people are trying to sell!

So, to those who are bummed they missed out and salty that people could purchase 2 boards each, at least you will be able to get them on mechmarket for a lower price than if you missed the group buy and units were limited to just one per person. And of course, you'd have a higher chance of getting a board from mechmarket too since there would be more boards purchased for the intention of flipping. More boards to flip = more boards available ASAP on mechmarket = higher chance you can find a board if you didn't get in the first 2 rounds.

Remember that just in the first few minutes of original form going up, more than 300 responses were submitted. As with the nature of group buys, lots of people will miss out. Let's say theoretically the board was limited to 1 per person. Chances are, you'd probably be unable to get a board either. There would be only 70 extra spots, and given the massive hype for this board, 70 is not all that much. For those who did miss out, you'd be paying higher prices aftermarket for this board (if it were limited to 1 per person) than if it were limited to up to 2 units per person. So y'all, look on the bright side.
It's a tale as old as time. People will bash on flipping and flippers for eternity. Don't try to bring logic into the argument. It only increases the screeching from both sides.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:49:27 »

nicely put
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #576 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 15:51:35 »

Hey man, I've always been in support for the vickrey model. I think its absolutely the most fair model for this kind of thing, for both runners and consumers.
The issues of GH and Google being unable to handle traffic aside...
Would a Vickrey auction really be practical for a groupbuy with this kind of unit count? It definitely has its benefits for smaller batches for sure, (and this is hypothetical) but I think for a groupbuy with 200+ units I think it might end up hurting people who were looking to get a really nice board at a more affordable pricepoint. (i.e. they get priced out even when the board would have retailed for $250ish)

When we're talking about $500-800 Keycults, sure. I can definitely see how the Vickrey auction model is more beneficial. A mixed approach seems to work for Keycult as well, but I don't think a Vickrey auction is the be-all-end-all solution.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #577 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 16:06:25 »

The issues of GH and Google being unable to handle traffic aside...
Would a Vickrey auction really be practical for a groupbuy with this kind of unit count? It definitely has its benefits for smaller batches for sure, (and this is hypothetical) but I think for a groupbuy with 200+ units I think it might end up hurting people who were looking to get a really nice board at a more affordable pricepoint. (i.e. they get priced out even when the board would have retailed for $250ish)

When we're talking about $500-800 Keycults, sure. I can definitely see how the Vickrey auction model is more beneficial. A mixed approach seems to work for Keycult as well, but I don't think a Vickrey auction is the be-all-end-all solution.

Agreed. A vickrey auction wouldn't have been good. And I'm not against flipping at all. Flipping is great for those who missed out on a groupbuy. But when you have a lot of people attempting to get a limited stock its balls. Now people are going to have to pay ~$400-$500 (guessing here) for a board that would have cost 250. I can understand getting a few extra Polaris boards or the upcoming Prophet board because they are unlimited gb but not a 200 unit limited run.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 16:09:35 by Robosculpts »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #578 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 09:54:41 »
Excited to see all the builds folks come up with, with such a wide variety of plate materials and colors. Should be tons of variability for everyone  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #579 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 09:57:10 »
Lmao. Why does this have 12 pages already :-\

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #580 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:02:20 »
Hype board. Would be about 14 but mods cleared a lot of the *****ing.

Offline zekth

« Reply #581 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 11:24:57 »

You mean everything mentionning Vickrey?  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 11:29:23 »

Nah. But they removed my Bloodsport tournament raffle suggestion...

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #583 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 11:34:26 »

Nah, born2relax was begging for a board in a memeing way, other users were trolling him back, etc etc. It was just a big pile of salt that devolved into a ****post outbreak

Offline catamscott

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 13:03:14 »
Excited to see all the builds folks come up with, with such a wide variety of plate materials and colors. Should be tons of variability for everyone  :thumb:
same, i'm excited to see how my planned cerakote + keycap combo comes out, and to test out the poly half plate. kinda hope there are extra plates/pcbs because i'd love to have a couple combinations i can swap in and out on the fly

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #585 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 13:13:03 »
same, i'm excited to see how my planned cerakote + keycap combo comes out, and to test out the poly half plate. kinda hope there are extra plates/pcbs because i'd love to have a couple combinations i can swap in and out on the fly

Yeah, I debated going with less options to maximize submission speed, but i ended up getting 4x plate and pcb combinations. I'm glad I did, but I guess I would have been sad if it cost me, haha.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #586 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:45:52 »

Yeah, I debated going with less options to maximize submission speed, but i ended up getting 4x plate and pcb combinations. I'm glad I did, but I guess I would have been sad if it cost me, haha.

i was considering grabbing an acrylic half plate and pcb but was nervous after the form didn't open and was buckling under our collective traffic, so i just sped through it. i would've been ****ting bricks trying to correctly fill out all those extra plate/pcb options lol, nice job doing all four and still making it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:25:41 »
i've been off gh for the last month and a half but i just want to say weaston is an artist
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline akacronos131

• uwu
« Reply #588 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 17:12:47 »
clay davis missed it   :-[

Offline Degree

« Reply #589 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 20:28:47 »
i've been off gh for the last month and a half but i just want to say weaston is an artist

honestly...

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 21:01:28 »
You must be the appraiser then with those durometer sense eyes
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline weaston

« Reply #591 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 22:03:19 »
Sorry for the wait on the order confirmation sheet.  I am sorting through the orders and trying to get some initial order issues sorted.  I should be posting the sheet tomorrow and then we'll go from there.  Thanks for hanging in.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #592 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 23:20:03 »
You must be the appraiser then with those durometer sense eyes

do it for the vine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline L8T

« Reply #593 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 00:03:54 »
Could you please update the first page main thread with new numbers and the spreadsheet? That way people dont have to read through 12 pages to find the spreadsheet.

Offline kairuwu

« Reply #594 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 01:22:49 »
When will we have a chance to review our orders?  cuz I think I incorrectly entered one of the fields for plate options.

Offline datfroyodoe

« Reply #595 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 01:28:05 »
When will we have a chance to review our orders?  cuz I think I incorrectly entered one of the fields for plate options.
I don't think u can, all submissions are final

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #596 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 03:47:23 »

For what it's worth, from the IC thread.

Offline kairuwu

« Reply #597 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 05:21:54 »

well that is unfortunate, especially considering the practice form was incomparable to the actual form.  nbd, guess I'm not getting a half plate then  :D

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #598 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 08:55:18 »

well that is unfortunate, especially considering the practice form was incomparable to the actual form.  nbd, guess I'm not getting a half plate then  :D

what other GB has had a practice form anyways, not sure why it matters that is was different, you usually don't even know what in it till you open it
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #599 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 09:03:28 »

what other GB has had a practice form anyways, not sure why it matters that is was different, you usually don't even know what in it till you open it
Honestly the practice form, the first actual form, and a friend recreating what we remember of the first form to practice is how I managed getting in on time for the second most likely. That and people on this thread recommending to hotkey the common inputs like email, name, username, etc. Had honestly never done that before, but now it's there for future FCFS. The effort seems ridiculous maybe, but I'm excited anyway. Haha

It's now got me considering adding a hot key layer just for common fields for forms I fill out at work.

And that's the real kicker. I had to do this at work, with my older MBP with crappy butterfly switches (my beater work tofu was at my desk), and with a chrome managed by my company with chrome autofill for even basic things like email permanently turned off, in the middle of testing software we delivered this weekend. And setting up hotkeys on a MBP is a lengthy process of appscript and permissions. My coworkers we're def like, what are you doing ???.

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 January 2020, 09:42:25 by Zeelobby »