Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 160510 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:31:37 »
Welcome!!
I have been working on a project since the beginning of the year to make alps sliders with an MX compatible stem, so you can convert all alps variants to a MX cap mount and use your favorite MX keycap sets.

Product Information:
  • What is an alps slider? It is the part of the switch that moves with the cap to actuate the switch, the part is also how you identify which variant of switch it is by color (blue alps, amber, brown, etc.).
  • Is it compatible with ____ Alps switch? Yes it is compatible with all variants of alps, including Browns, as well as all matias switches. Only exception is SKCL Green as the top housing will interfere because of the LED cutout, will explain how to work around this below.
  • What keycap profiles can I use? I have personally tested OEM, DCS, DSA, SA, G20, Cherry/GMK, and MIX. And the answer is Yes, but Cherry/GMK is the only ones that have a slight issue.
  • Are the alps housings directly compatible with MX caps? Sadly, no. Basically SKCM/SKCL and matias top housings need to be filed in order to be compatible with MX mount caps, If you wish to use GMK you have to further mod the top housings on the side to allow them to fully seat on the slider because they hit the top housing before the last 0.5mm of travel for R3 GMK profile. If you use SKCL/SKCM switches you don't have to modify if you buy the top housings I am selling, as they will be premade to work with MX caps, and with Cherry/GMK caps. For matias switches, sadly you can't use my top housings as the matias ones are based off of SKBM housings, which are different due to the switch plate mechanism, meaning you will have to modify yours. For SKCL Green you will have to either modify your housing in order to keep the LED compatibility or buy my top housings, and lose the LEDs. Follow the video guide to understand what all is need to be done to modify your switches.(Will be up soonish)
  • I heard these don't work with clicky switches? That was true of the early prototypes, the issue was the keycap would crush the clicky leaf when it moved towards the slider in the top of the keystroke, I solved this by adding a small bump on the side of the slider that prevents the click leaf from getting caught under the keycap stem. So there is no issue with the final version, and no this problem never affected tactile switches, and still has no effect. For SKCL Green LED top housings the bump can either be cut off or used as a guide to let you know if you removed enough material from the top housing to fit.
  • Does the bump affect the clicky switch sound? It will technically as it shortens the distance the leaf can move, but only by 0.2mm, so almost no change at all.
  • What is the stab insert used for? It is for using the Alps stab wires on MX keycaps, as the MX caps location to mount the inserts are in different locations than the alps ones are. Alps are pushed to one side of the cap, While cherry are centered on the cap and can be farther or closer together than alps. So I made an insert that allows you to use your current alps stabs without modification. These will be 3D printed on very high end printers using Material Jetting(PolyJet) with a 16 micron layer height, so very high accuracy. I have tested them and they are very smooth when lubed.
  • What material are the sliders and top housings made of? They will both be made of POM, and will be injection molded.
  • Can the top housings fix scratchy alps? They should, yes. If the reason they are scratchy is due to the top housing, then they can but if the slider is the reason, then no it can't unless you use the slider I am making or a undamaged alps slider.

Product Render:
The slider:
191229-0

The Top Housing: (actual color will be black)
191217-1

The Stab Insert: (actual color may vary)
191219-2

Pricing:
Note: These prices do not include final shipping or paypal fees. Shipping is dependent on number ordered and location, will be sent in bubble mailers, so pricing should be quite low.

• Sliders: $0.55 each (MOQ of 11,000)
  • Top housings:
    • QTY 6,000: $1.20
    • QTY 8,000: $1.00
    • QTY 10,000: $0.80
    • QTY 12,000: $0.70
    • QTY 16,000: $0.60
    • QTY 20,000: $0.50
  • Stab Inserts: $5 - $8
    • not sure how many will be ordered so price will vary and I can't say for sure until the order is placed, but it will be in this range.

Schedule:
  • Orders: 14 days
  • Invoice/Payment: 7 days
  • Manufacturing and shipping: 15 - 35 days (depends on manufacturers shipping speed)
  • Sorting and Final shipment: 7 - 14 days

Total: 43 to 70 days

Order Form:
https://goo.gl/forms/UZnoNALyV55q2f7F3            Orders will be open until next friday 4/13 and midnight central time, All invoices will be sent out once orders are receive and are due on receipt.

Live Quantity:
  • Sliders - 14,570
  • Top Housings - 10,000
  • Stab Inserts - 160
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:32:20 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Approval bump  :thumb:

As always, Caveat Emptor.

Offline a_ak57

So how much work would you estimate it'd be to make a full-sized GMK set compatible with Matias housings given all the inside/outside filing required?  Wondering if it'd just be better to track down some complicated alps and use your housings (never owned any alps switches so I'll be buying some either way).

Offline tanvir175

Awesome! Now to decide on how many I want to get and whether or not I should get top housings.

Offline SJHL

I'm def in. Awesome job in the updates and prototyping. I'm sure it'll go smoothly. Atleast I hope  ;D

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
So how much work would you estimate it'd be to make a full-sized GMK set compatible with Matias housings given all the inside/outside filing required?  Wondering if it'd just be better to track down some complicated alps and use your housings (never owned any alps switches so I'll be buying some either way).

The filing of the opening takes about 30 seconds per switch, and can be faster once you get in a rhythm, I have only modified a handful for testing. And then doing the sides is more dependant on tools used, you can use a box cutter an shave the sides in about 10-15 seconds, and sand lightly with a high grit wet sandpaper and have it nice within another 20 seconds. So with that said, 1 minute or so per switch if you use the exact method I listed, or you can find your own way that may be faster, this is just the method I used as those tools were on my desk at the time.

Awesome! Now to decide on how many I want to get and whether or not I should get top housings.

Yeah that is going to be some hard thinking. Just go ahead and order 1,000 of each, you never know what boards you may get in the future.  :))

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
I'm def in. Awesome job in the updates and prototyping. I'm sure it'll go smoothly. Atleast I hope  ;D

I will make sure this goes as smooth as possible, because if it doesn't my desk is going to have a lot of dents from my head hitting it, lol.

Offline stoic-lemon

I am pretty damn pumped for this. Like many, the question is if I will join, but how many of each item I'm going to get.

Edit: Oh I do have a question. Are the sliders going to be yellow?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
I am pretty damn pumped for this. Like many, the question is if I will join, but how many of each item I'm going to get.

Edit: Oh I do have a question. Are the sliders going to be yellow?

The goal is to have them in the color pictured, which is Pantone Marigold (https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/PQ-14-1050TCX). So more orange creme than yellow. That may change if the manufacturer can't match the color at that point, I have no idea what color it will be, maybe burgundy.

Offline tanvir175

Yeah that is going to be some hard thinking. Just go ahead and order 1,000 of each, you never know what boards you may get in the future.  :))

Haha, I wish. I was originally planning on just enough for one board but I'm considering enough for at least two. Will you be keeping us updated on order quantities? I don't need the top housings but, if it gets low enough, I might purchase them.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Haha, I wish. I was originally planning on just enough for one board but I'm considering enough for at least two. Will you be keeping us updated on order quantities? I don't need the top housings but, if it gets low enough, I might purchase them.

Yes I will update quite often so people know more about what is going on. I feel that is only right seeing as it affects the buyers heavily for pricing. The one thing I am worried about is the top housings...I hope there is enough interest to get them cheaper.

Offline tanvir175

Yes I will update quite often so people know more about what is going on. I feel that is only right seeing as it affects the buyers heavily for pricing. The one thing I am worried about is the top housings...I hope there is enough interest to get them cheaper.

That's great! I hope they're able to succeed as well.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
Cherry profile R3 works well as long as we use your modified top housings/file our original SKCM housings?

There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Cherry profile R3 works well as long as we use your modified top housings/file our original SKCM housings?

Correct, by just filing the sides, or designing them that way, it makes it so Cherry profile can clear the wider switch housings of alps.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG  this is absolutely awesome!!

definitely joining this!
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
I can’t wait for this!

Anyone on the fence let me tell you: there is no tactile switch in the universe as amazing as a brown alps. The only problem (besides availability) was no good caps to use. This completely solves that issue. I hope this starts an Alps revolution.

Great work, blindassassin111!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Have you gotten prototypes? Or is this just a render and wishful thinking right now?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Have you gotten prototypes? Or is this just a render and wishful thinking right now?

I have gone through 4 prototypes so far, so no wishful thinking at all.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

I have gone through 4 prototypes so far, so no wishful thinking at all.

:thumb:
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline idlemao

If this is successful, would you consider having more runs of this?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
If this is successful, would you consider having more runs of this?

There will be more chances to get these after, will go into detail more at a later date. But if I don't get MOQ, then there is no possibility of that happening...
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:11:01 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline plugable

I'm so excited about this. We all need to spread the word to hit MOQ. Tell everyone!

Offline tanvir175

I'm so excited about this. We all need to spread the word to hit MOQ. Tell everyone!

I made a reddit post to help gain some people since I didn't see a thread on /r/mk.

@BlindAssassin111 I know I didn't ask for permission so if you want me to take it down just let me know.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
I made a reddit post to help gain some people since I didn't see a thread on /r/mk.

@BlindAssassin111 I know I didn't ask for permission so if you want me to take it down just let me know.

You are good, I have no problem with people posting about it on other platforms. I don't use reddit, I made an account for this but I am just not a reddit person, so I don't go over there ever.

Offline garbo

Seeing that so much of the cost of the top housings is in getting the tooling made, it would seem silly to do it as a smaller run. I'm worried that the group buy's short duration and a potential lack of publicity will make it difficult to reach the higher MOQs. Perhaps there's a chance that there are vendors willing to invest in stocking a portion.

Offline a_ak57

Seeing that so much of the cost of the top housings is in getting the tooling made, it would seem silly to do it as a smaller run. I'm worried that the group buy's short duration and a potential lack of publicity will make it difficult to reach the higher MOQs. Perhaps there's a chance that there are vendors willing to invest in stocking a portion.

That's a good point actually, this seems like the type of item that would serve well as normal stock in stores a la the JTK topre-to-mx sliders. 

Offline Jacob4341

I Think that's a great point! Perhaps vendors like KBDfans and Novelkeys could stock these up. Perhaps this could mark Mike's move into stocking up on matias switches!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

I have something in the works for the sliders, but unfortunately the top housings were not picked up, I am going to see if TopClack can mention this and help get the word out there as I really want the price to drip on them, but I need people and it is hard to reach the audience I need for this.

Offline Jacob4341

I have something in the works for the sliders, but unfortunately the top housings were not picked up, I am going to see if TopClack can mention this and help get the word out there as I really want the price to drip on them, but I need people and it is hard to reach the audience I need for this.

I'm sure bond a doubt they will mention it next livestream!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

I'm sure bond a doubt they will mention it next livestream!

I sent them a message so hopefully something comes of it!! Would really help.

Offline tanvir175

You are good, I have no problem with people posting about it on other platforms. I don't use reddit, I made an account for this but I am just not a reddit person, so I don't go over there ever.

Cool! I'll be your reddit guy while this GB runs ;)

Offline Jacob4341

I'm not sure if this is allowed per reddit rules but I think you can make a GB post on /mm for this.

Offline tanvir175

I'm not sure if this is allowed per reddit rules but I think you can make a GB post on /mm for this.

Not sure what you mean; which rules are you referring to? I meant I'll post an update of how the GB is doing after the first few days and heading into the last few days, two or three posts at most during the run.

I know other GB runners do it all the time so do you mean I'm not allowed to do it because I'm not the GB runner? I don't think that's an actual reddit violation but could be subreddit specific. On /r/mk, people post them for Massdrop GB's. I know Massdrop posts aren't allowed on /r/mm, though.

Offline stoic-lemon

I'll mention it in my next video on my AEK64. I don't have as much pull as Top Clack, but it might help a little.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
I'll mention it in my next video on my AEK64. I don't have as much pull as Top Clack, but it might help a little.

...I never realized you were Chokkan till now. I would really appreciate the mention, even if you aren't as large, it will help.

Offline d.caminero

Pretty stocked for this!! I have to decide if I get some tops as well as sliders. @BlindAssassin, would you offer "cancellations" if price doesn't meet a reasonable amount? Or maybe you could keep track of "virtual orders" so we can see what would the pricing be if we all join for tops as well.

Also, I do agree with the other people saying trying to get some vendors involved, specially big asian names like kbdzone and such, they may want to take a big order to stock them.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Pretty stocked for this!! I have to decide if I get some tops as well as sliders. @BlindAssassin, would you offer "cancellations" if price doesn't meet a reasonable amount? Or maybe you could keep track of "virtual orders" so we can see what would the pricing be if we all join for tops as well.

Also, I do agree with the other people saying trying to get some vendors involved, specially big asian names like kbdzone and such, they may want to take a big order to stock them.

For the top housings, I will consider it, but I have to see what orders look like. If they are super low then I will just cancel all orders for the housings, but if we have reached say 8000, and a bunch of people drop out, it could basically end the chances of them being made even for those that wanted them and were okay with the price. I can't do a massdrop commit at price thing as there is no final/lowest price and everyone would say a different cost is "reasonable".

So basically if you join be prepared to pay the highest price, I may allow cancellations below 8000 ordered, but not 100% sure on that yet.

Offline d.caminero

For the top housings, I will consider it, but I have to see what orders look like. If they are super low then I will just cancel all orders for the housings, but if we have reached say 8000, and a bunch of people drop out, it could basically end the chances of them being made even for those that wanted them and were okay with the price. I can't do a massdrop commit at price thing as there is no final/lowest price and everyone would say a different cost is "reasonable".

So basically if you join be prepared to pay the highest price, I may allow cancellations below 8000 ordered, but not 100% sure on that yet.

Fair enough! It was just curiosity. I think I'll join for a conservative amount and then order more if price goes down

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Order form is live!!!!

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
Submitted my Order Form :D

Offline schwasam

Can someone translate this for me?

How many sets of Stab Inserts do you want? Each set comes with 14 inserts, $5 - $8 per set. *

If ordering multiples of the same quantity for stab inserts, How many?

So if I say 10 and 10 I get a 100 sets?
Why not just have more options in the first question? Splitting it in two questions makes sense for the sliders and housings though.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards

How many sets of Stab Inserts do you want? Each set comes with 14 inserts, $5 - $8 per set. *

Why not just have more options in the first question? Splitting it in two questions makes sense for the sliders and housings th yesough.

Yes that's correct

Offline jackofclubs

In for 140 sliders and 70 housings this run through. I hope you don't mind, I sent Quakemz from the topclack stream a quick message to check out this page so he can hopefully cover it in the next stream.

Great renders!

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Hey buddy, gl with this GB!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

Why not just have more options in the first question? Splitting it in two questions makes sense for the sliders and housings though.

Sorry for some reason I wasn't getting notifications for the thread. I have it listed that way in case someone wants for sets than I can reasonably add to the form by hand. But yes the second question is a multiplier, so keep that in mind for the order.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
In for 140 sliders and 70 housings this run through. I hope you don't mind, I sent Quakemz from the topclack stream a quick message to check out this page so he can hopefully cover it in the next stream.

Great renders!

lol, I also emailed them so hopefully with you also contacting them, it will increase the chances of a response/mention. Thank you for the consideration and order.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Hey buddy, gl with this GB!

Thank you!!

Offline a_ak57

At 1800 sliders in 2 hours, pretty darn good for the relative lack of exposure this has had compared to longer-stewing ICs.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
At 1800 sliders in 2 hours, pretty darn good for the relative lack of exposure this has had compared to longer-stewing ICs.

Just went over 2000 in 2 hours. The IC was fairly long tbh, it lasted just over 2 months, not as long as a lot of others, but I like to run projects faster, and this went slower, but at the same time better than I originally expected.

Offline a_ak57

I dunno, I think 2 months for a project like this is rather quick; you really only see an IC that short when it's for something like running a variant of some keycap set rather than creating an adapter.  I mean hell it took years for topre-to-mx adapters to get anywhere and we still don't have great ones or even anything to use for spacebar stabilizers.