Author Topic: [IC] Topographic Deskmat (will not be run)  (Read 11885 times)

Offline EthanN

[IC] Topographic Deskmat (will not be run)
« on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:16:02 »

This design will not be run due to the similarity between it and the randomfrankp x Novelkeys design. I did not want to copy them, and I didn't realize how similar they are when I created this post. Thanks for all the feedback that I got, and I'll try to apply it to my next design (that I will make sure does not look anything like an existing deskmat :D).
I would delete this thread but I can't figure out how.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 10:58:11 by EthanN »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [IC] Topographic Deskmat
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:17:48 »
*randomfrankp is typing*

Offline sandragm

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:18:05 »
Somewhat similar to the concept behind randomfrankp's x Novelkeys deskmat design. But it looks pretty good to me.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:19:31 »
*randomfrankp is typing*

Somewhat similar to the concept behind randomfrankp's x Novelkeys deskmat design. But it looks pretty good to me.

Thanks!

You're right, I wanted one of the randomfrankp collab deskpads, but I got into keyboards way after the groupbuy was finished.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:21:08 by EthanN »

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:20:38 »
As many will say, this looks very similar to the Randomfrankp x NK Topographical deskmat. I get that you say it's "randomly generated" but maybe you'd benefit from making at least just the black one more original by adding to the design some more, as that's the only color the Novelkeys one comes in.

Other than that, it's still a nice design, I like the different color options and would probably pick one up myself.

TL;DR: Change up the black one a little bit more to make it differentiate easier from the randomfrankp one. Otherwise nice.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:22:37 »
As many will say, this looks very similar to the Randomfrankp x NK Topographical deskmat. I get that you say it's "randomly generated" but maybe you'd benefit from making at least just the black one more original by adding to the design some more, as that's the only color the Novelkeys one comes in.

Other than that, it's still a nice design, I like the different color options and would probably pick one up myself.

TL;DR: Change up the black one a little bit more to make it differentiate easier from the randomfrankp one. Otherwise nice.

Okay, how would you suggest doing it? I feel like most topo patterns look similar, unless they're of a real location, so I'm unsure of how to differentiate it.

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:30:34 »

Okay, how would you suggest doing it? I feel like most topo patterns look similar, unless they're of a real location, so I'm unsure of how to differentiate it.
[/quote]

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. If you put the two next to each other they don't look similar at all, so maybe try to implement a small little logo or something similar using the lines from the topography. This was actually done on the RFP deskmat, if you look around the bottom right of it, his channel logo is in sneakily hidden in the topography.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 19:33:31 »

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. If you put the two next to each other they don't look similar at all, so maybe try to implement a small little logo or something similar using the lines from the topography. This was actually done on the RFP deskmat, if you look around the bottom right of it, his channel logo is in sneakily hidden in the topography.
[/quote]

Alright, I might be able to do something like that. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:47:08 »
The image links in the OP are broken.

Offline Shiro

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:52:14 »
all the images are broken. Cant see any of them. So...

Offline Sabin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 04:25:03 »
Can't see images

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 05:52:51 »
I like those vivid colors and texture :P
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 06:15:23 »
Thanks!

You're right, I wanted one of the randomfrankp collab deskpads, but I got into keyboards way after the groupbuy was finished.

Just as a heads up, the randomfrankp deskpads are being continually stocked, and new colors are already in transit.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 10:58:41 »

Just as a heads up, the randomfrankp deskpads are being continually stocked, and new colors are already in transit.

Okay, though I wanted one a few months ago and they haven't been in stock since I started checking. Thanks for the heads up though.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:03:28 »

Can't see images

There are also images in the google form, I'm not really sure how to fix it as someone posted after you and seemed to be able to see them.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:04:25 »
I like those vivid colors and texture :P

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:06:36 »
I suggest you to upload the pictures to something like imgur.
This will work for everyone.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:07:29 »

Okay, give me 5 minutes.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:15:48 »

Can't see images

I switched to imgur, can you see them now?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:23:47 »
Okay, though I wanted one a few months ago and they haven't been in stock since I started checking. Thanks for the heads up though.

They were restocked last month, with a healthy supply.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:25:41 »

They were restocked last month, with a healthy supply.

Weird, they never seemed to show up on the website. I was probably looking in the wrong place, but I just looked and they're currently out of stock.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:26:20 »

Can't see images

I switched to imgur, can you see them now?

Yes, now they're visible. :)
Looking good!

Offline EthanN

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:27:08 »

Yes, now they're visible. :)
Looking good!

Great, thanks!

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:28:07 »
A monochrome gradient one, and EU proxy and I'm in!

Offline EthanN

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:29:45 »
A monochrome gradient one, and EU proxy and I'm in!

It looks like TheKey.Company has an EU proxy, and I've gotten 2 requests for a monochrome gradient, so I'll probably do that. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Lefach

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 12:11:04 »
Being a Land Surveyor, I approve this design!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 13:43:54 »
GL with the lawsuit man!

In all seriousness tho, this def is too close to the RandomFrankP design.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 14:59:15 »
What is mocha color? Is it like brown+cream?
I would love to see coffee color - dark brown and cream lines.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 15:06:18 »
Maybe you could try to take the topographic map of an existing mountain range in order to avoid any problems with Novelkeys?
I like the colors!

Offline Eddie_Caps

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 15:36:42 »
Maybe you could try to take the topographic map of an existing mountain range in order to avoid any problems with Novelkeys?
I like the colors!

This is a great idea. Maybe you could theme it after national parks or something, and each park is a different color. Or for something less US-centered, different mountain ranges such as the Himalayas, Rocky Mountains, Alps, Andes, etc. Idk just a thought.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:18:10 »
GL with the lawsuit man!

In all seriousness tho, this def is too close to the RandomFrankP design.

This is a great idea. Maybe you could theme it after national parks or something, and each park is a different color. Or for something less US-centered, different mountain ranges such as the Himalayas, Rocky Mountains, Alps, Andes, etc. Idk just a thought.

I like the colors!

Update-I got an email from TheKey.Company stating that they can't accept the design because it's too close to the randomfrankp deskmat. I'm going to try to come up with a way to differentiate it, and the first thing will probably be to try what a couple of you have said so far, which is to model it after an existing mountain range. I was thinking in one of the corners I could have the lat/longitude of the center of the mountain range, and the name of the mountain range as well. Thank you all for the feedback, and I hope I can come up with a solution soon. I'll keep you posted. If there's any specific mountain ranges or color combos that you have in mind, please let me know.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:20:48 »
What is mocha color? Is it like brown+cream?
I would love to see coffee color - dark brown and cream lines.

The names are mostly so I don't have to write the actual colors every time I mention that color combo. Mocha was just the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. It's a dark brown with orange lines. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:21:37 »

Update-I got an email from TheKey.Company stating that they can't accept the design because it's too close to the randomfrankp deskmat. I'm going to try to come up with a way to differentiate it, and the first thing will probably be to try what a couple of you have said so far, which is to model it after an existing mountain range. I was thinking in one of the corners I could have the lat/longitude of the center of the mountain range, and the name of the mountain range as well. Thank you all for the feedback, and I hope I can come up with a solution soon. I'll keep you posted. If there's any specific mountain ranges or color combos that you have in mind, please let me know.

I figure you could hit a large segment of the population by doing the Rockies and the Appalachian Mountains (maybe just the Blue Ridge if all of Appalachia is too big)

Offline EthanN

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:23:29 »

I figure you could hit a large segment of the population by doing the Rockies and the Appalachian Mountains (maybe just the Blue Ridge if all of Appalachia is too big)

Yeah, that might be an option. I'm still trying to figure out how to generate topo designs of real places. Thanks for the idea!

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 22:05:40 »
Would you be into adding landmarks and icons to the map, ones that are used in topography? Or are you wanting to just keep the contour aesthetic? Mostly asking to put more ideas out there to differentiate.

Offline wil

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 23:47:36 »
hey if randomfrankp really owns the topographic pattern i got a lot of publishers he can sue. hell, there's a whole industry that's been profiting off of his IP! we can make a fortune!

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 00:14:19 »
This seems like a very egregious step over the line in terms of respect between designers.

I would consider what you want your legacy to be in this community: creator of novel deskmat designs, or someone who decided to copy a deskmat design, make profit on it, all because they were impatient.

Offline EthanN

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 10:47:21 »
This seems like a very egregious step over the line in terms of respect between designers.

I would consider what you want your legacy to be in this community: creator of novel deskmat designs, or someone who decided to copy a deskmat design, make profit on it, all because they were impatient.

I think you're right and that I'm going to have to abandon the idea, because my intention was not to copy randomfrankp or novelkeys, and I think that it really is just too similar without a real way to differentiate. Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas!
Ethan

Offline Bl4ck

Re: [IC] Topographic Deskmat (will not be run)
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 13:53:12 »
the gradient ones are quite a bit different from NK x RFP I would love to see those run (monochrome variant if possible)