Author Topic: Desk chair that won't go flat?  (Read 29414 times)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Desk chair that won't go flat?
« on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 03:12:44 »
I got a $150 chair from Office Depot, it has a hole in it and it's completely flat and hard as a brick to sit on.

Are there any good chairs that won't go flat or tear easily? I tend to sit in weird ways (i like to tuck in my legs sitting on the chair)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: Desk chair that won't go flat?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:15:38 »
May want to look up herman miller Aeron. On the high end scale but a lot of people here vouch for them
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:33:40 »
May want to look up herman miller Aeron. On the high end scale but a lot of people here vouch for them

Pricey, but may be worth it in the end.

Time to cut back on my burger king and vintage boards.

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 07:59:02 »
An an expensive ergonomic chair owner (Humanscale freedom chair) - I did find myself in minor ass-pain after a long day in the chair, not because it goes flat like you have mentioned but simply the time spent being the cause.
I started looking around for some sort of cushions that might help, since the ones from my living-room cancels out the chair's memory foam in some wierd way i can't explain.

But what I found and currently am using is this piece of wonder: http://www.amazon.com/Cushina%C2%AE-Memory-Foam-Seat-Cushion/dp/B00FR9R0RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458305198&sr=8-1&keywords=cushina

I think it could work as a sweet solution for cheaper chairs which suffers from what you are describing - and then of course add a whole lot of comfort!  :thumb:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:37:49 »
An an expensive ergonomic chair owner (Humanscale freedom chair) - I did find myself in minor ass-pain after a long day in the chair, not because it goes flat like you have mentioned but simply the time spent being the cause.
I started looking around for some sort of cushions that might help, since the ones from my living-room cancels out the chair's memory foam in some wierd way i can't explain.

But what I found and currently am using is this piece of wonder: http://www.amazon.com/Cushina%C2%AE-Memory-Foam-Seat-Cushion/dp/B00FR9R0RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458305198&sr=8-1&keywords=cushina

I think it could work as a sweet solution for cheaper chairs which suffers from what you are describing - and then of course add a whole lot of comfort!  :thumb:
I like that cushion. I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:58:51 »
Herman Miller Aeron.  Mine is still in use after 11yrs.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:23:31 »
I took my medium priced office depot type chair and replaced the wheels with the rubber soft feet for hardwoods, got a stiffer/taller center shock tube, and then added a layer of memory foam when the seat cushion started flattening out.

As for the Herman Miller chairs, We have a used office furniture supply depot type warehouse here in Raleigh where you can get those for half price or less. I would bet you have the same in CA. They also show up sometimes on the government auction website.
-Dana

Offline steve.v

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 22:06:57 »
Herman miller aeron is worth it in my opinion. Add a small flat pillow and its sitting heaven. Dont stop there, grab a wrist rest and also a foot stool.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 22:31:22 »

Herman Miller Aeron.  Mine is still in use after 11yrs.

Herman miller aeron is worth it in my opinion. Add a small flat pillow and its sitting heaven. Dont stop there, grab a wrist rest and also a foot stool.

The BEST money I ever spent. I've tried all kinds of high end chairs from Steelcase and Herman Miller. They are all comfortable. The Aeron is the only one that is still comfortable after sitting in it all day for 4+ years. As a matter of fact, I'm about to order another one for the office.

If you read about the history of the chair - the designers were inspired by a previous chair they had designed specifically for the elderly/invalid; which was designed to be comfortable for long periods of time while also allowing for better circulation.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 01:48:19 »
I find Aerons pretty uncomfortable. YMMV.

I use a tall saddle-stool type seat, but if it has to be a standard-height chair, I find this more comfortable than the Aeron:

The Aeron and all similar office chairs basically force you to sit with poor posture, with your shoulders hunched forward and/or your back slouching, and they provide backrest, armrests, and a cushy seat to compensate. It’s IMO better to find long-term seating where the natural posture is upright, and then when you want to recline you can go sit on the couch with a laptop for a while. But as I said, YMMV. I recommend trying something in person for at least a few days before you make a final expensive decision.

If all of you are sitting in one position for 4+ hours without getting up to stretch and walk around every 30–60 minutes for at least a couple minutes, something is wrong, IMO.

(i like to tuck in my legs sitting on the chair)

There are a lot of better-than-standard-office-chair seats out there, see e.g. http://www.ergodepot.com/category_s/168.htm

You should scroll or search through existing threads in the ergonomics subforum. There are a bunch about seating.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 01:57:45 by jacobolus »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 01:49:24 »
steel case leap? got mine for 200 on craigslist pretty good investment

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:48:34 »
Another vote for the Aeron.  I got mine free from a friend -- he had managed to tear the webbing in the seat and didn't want it anymore.  Then I replaced the seat with a cheap OEM part found on Ebay.  Best investment I ever made.   :p

My only complaint is that the rubber on the wheels has started to degrade after rolling it around on carpet for several years.  Need to find new casters.

Offline Rad

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:09:26 »
I find Aerons pretty uncomfortable. YMMV.

I use a tall saddle-stool type seat, but if it has to be a standard-height chair, I find this more comfortable than the Aeron:
Show Image

The Aeron and all similar office chairs basically force you to sit with poor posture, with your shoulders hunched forward and/or your back slouching, and they provide backrest, armrests, and a cushy seat to compensate. It’s IMO better to find long-term seating where the natural posture is upright, and then when you want to recline you can go sit on the couch with a laptop for a while. But as I said, YMMV. I recommend trying something in person for at least a few days before you make a final expensive decision.

If all of you are sitting in one position for 4+ hours without getting up to stretch and walk around every 30–60 minutes for at least a couple minutes, something is wrong, IMO.

(i like to tuck in my legs sitting on the chair)

There are a lot of better-than-standard-office-chair seats out there, see e.g. http://www.ergodepot.com/category_s/168.htm

You should scroll or search through existing threads in the ergonomics subforum. There are a bunch about seating.

What kind of wood is that sweet chair made out of?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:28:26 »
I’m not sure. Something cheap probably. I just did a google image search for "wooden chair". :-)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:55:18 »

What about that net for your back? I always feel like that doesn't give you enough back support like a sculpted chair that follows the contours of your back. I have an Ahrend at the office with a net back and it always give me back pain with 3 hours sitting on it, which I never have working from home.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 04:57:58 »
ERgonomic chairs is not the whole solution

You need to in general, SIT LESS..

You will still have to sit, but LESS...

I'm doing around 6-7 hours at the standing desk each day

And the rest on a regular computer chair..

It's done wonders for my back and butt..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 05:05:34 »

I hate standing desks, personally. I try to get up more, take a quick walk. I put stuff more away from me at the office so that I have to get up and walk. I also often readjust my position so that I keep moving somehow.

Offline coniurare

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:30:33 »
I hate standing desks, personally. I try to get up more, take a quick walk. I put stuff more away from me at the office so that I have to get up and walk. I also often readjust my position so that I keep moving somehow.

Yeah, me too. Adjustable standing desks are the way to go. Too much standing is bad for you just like too much sitting. Some studies recommend 50% sitting, 25% standing and 25% walking over the workday (no link at hand, read the study result on hackernews a few years back), which sounds reasonable to me. They also suggets regular postion changes while sitting.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:40:02 »

Wow! DO you even standing desk bro?? You do 6-7 hours?!?!? I'm happy with 2 hours standing in a day. :D

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:42:55 »
Sitting in a Herman Miller Aeron right now. Best chair I've ever owned, hands down.

I was also plagued with the hatred of most office chairs. I finally caved and bought an Aeron, and I'm blown away by the quality. It's a chair that could easily last ten times as long as a conventional office chair, and the mesh material is way more comfortable than any padding I've sat on (especially after long sitting sessions). Before running out and buying one on Amazon or something, I would suggest a quick Craigslist search. Herman Miller makes office products, and often you'll find a handful of the chairs on craigslist for about a third of what you'd pay retail. Because the chairs are mesh and not padding, you don't have to worry as much about who had the chair. Cleaning it is as simple as blowing it off with an air compressor and wiping down the frame.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:23:07 »

Yeah, me too. Adjustable standing desks are the way to go. Too much standing is bad for you just like too much sitting. Some studies recommend 50% sitting, 25% standing and 25% walking over the workday (no link at hand, read the study result on hackernews a few years back), which sounds reasonable to me. They also suggets regular postion changes while sitting.

Good to know I've been doing something right, thanks! I read somewhere that standing too much is bad for your veins. But of course, sitting all day is also bad for you as well.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:24:15 »
Sitting in a Herman Miller Aeron right now. Best chair I've ever owned, hands down.

I was also plagued with the hatred of most office chairs. I finally caved and bought an Aeron, and I'm blown away by the quality. It's a chair that could easily last ten times as long as a conventional office chair, and the mesh material is way more comfortable than any padding I've sat on (especially after long sitting sessions). Before running out and buying one on Amazon or something, I would suggest a quick Craigslist search. Herman Miller makes office products, and often you'll find a handful of the chairs on craigslist for about a third of what you'd pay retail. Because the chairs are mesh and not padding, you don't have to worry as much about who had the chair. Cleaning it is as simple as blowing it off with an air compressor and wiping down the frame.

Do you honestly and sincerely believe that the meshed back is better / nicer to your back than padding (honest question)? Because I've had several Ahrends (major Dutch office brand) and the mesh S*CKED. But I can imagine that one mesh is not the other.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:02:12 »

Do you honestly and sincerely believe that the meshed back is better / nicer to your back than padding (honest question)? Because I've had several Ahrends (major Dutch office brand) and the mesh S*CKED. But I can imagine that one mesh is not the other.

Absolutely, however understand that the Herman Miller mesh is a different animal, and so is the frame. Normal chair mesh is basically spongy and weak, so over time it gets loose and not as comfortable to sit in. The Aeron has a tightly-woven mesh that's made up of very thin and strong fibers. It's strung so tightly that it almost feels like hard plastic to the touch, but has elasticity and bounce. You sit in it and it actually supports your weight, and conforms to your shape a bit. It's a league above other chair meshes, and I've owned a few.

Also it's worth noting that the chair gives you a floating sensation when sitting in it, due to where the center of gravity is on the chair. You know that feeling when you tip your chair back on its hind legs and find that sweet balance spot? It's exactly like that. This feeling alone sold me on the chair. It eliminates a lot of lower back pain and general strain from sitting all day.

This chair isn't going to wash your dishes and cure cancer. Don't get the wrong impression. I don't feel it's worth the full retail price of close to a thousand dollars, but I would definitely say that under $500 is a good price, and you can easily find them for $300. I have not found another chair that gives me that "buy it for life" quality feel. Chairs seem to be made of complete junk these days.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:07:59 »

Wow! DO you even standing desk bro?? You do 6-7 hours?!?!? I'm happy with 2 hours standing in a day. :D

well I got a large rubber mat for where I stand, it's 1.3*1.3 meter..

So I can sort of pace back and forth back a bit.. keeps the circulation up, and reduces stiffness..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:32:25 »

Absolutely, however understand that the Herman Miller mesh is a different animal, and so is the frame. Normal chair mesh is basically spongy and weak, so over time it gets loose and not as comfortable to sit in. The Aeron has a tightly-woven mesh that's made up of very thin and strong fibers. It's strung so tightly that it almost feels like hard plastic to the touch, but has elasticity and bounce. You sit in it and it actually supports your weight, and conforms to your shape a bit. It's a league above other chair meshes, and I've owned a few.

Also it's worth noting that the chair gives you a floating sensation when sitting in it, due to where the center of gravity is on the chair. You know that feeling when you tip your chair back on its hind legs and find that sweet balance spot? It's exactly like that. This feeling alone sold me on the chair. It eliminates a lot of lower back pain and general strain from sitting all day.

This chair isn't going to wash your dishes and cure cancer. Don't get the wrong impression. I don't feel it's worth the full retail price of close to a thousand dollars, but I would definitely say that under $500 is a good price, and you can easily find them for $300. I have not found another chair that gives me that "buy it for life" quality feel. Chairs seem to be made of complete junk these days.

It sounds really awesome. I gotta try it out somewhere.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 15:03:32 »
Herman Miller's and Aeon's are terrible for 'odd sitters'
They force you into a specific position and do not allow for much improv positions.

Personally as a big man I cannot stand them, they really restrict the array of available sitting options - i.e. sitting crosslegged/on leg/ foot up/ anything other than how they want you to sit in them. Not good for fidgity people.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 15:05:59 »
Herman Miller's and Aeon's are terrible for 'odd sitters'
They force you into a specific position and do not allow for much improv positions.

Personally as a big man I cannot stand them, they really restrict the array of available sitting options - i.e. sitting crosslegged/on leg/ foot up/ anything other than how they want you to sit in them. Not good for fidgity people.

Second this, and it's the main reason I didn't get an Aeron. I like to set one leg under the other, and it was very uncomfortable.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 15:54:43 »
For anyone who is an “odd sitter”, I recommend the HÅG Capisco chair. It supports about twice as many positions as any other seat.

Not sure I’d recommend the way this lady sits, per se, but you get the idea:

Edit: here’s a video, http://www.capisco.ca/Video-1st-Use.mp4
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:00:59 by jacobolus »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:52:57 »
For anyone who is an “odd sitter”, I recommend the HÅG Capisco chair. It supports about twice as many positions as any other seat.

Show Image

What IS she doing in that chair? Trying to communicate with aliens?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:31:18 »

Show Image

Thank you. This is exactly what my wife needs.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 00:24:47 »

Show Image

That chair is just encouraging bad posture and ergonomics :/
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 00:40:43 »
That chair is just encouraging bad posture and ergonomics :/
How do you figure?

It supports a much more comfortable default sitting position (as a high saddle-type stool) than the vast majority of office chairs. Then it also supports a wide range of other postures, so you can mix things up, including a standard low office chair style if you want, though I would only recommend using it in low seat-forward position for about 30m at a time, tops.

If offices replaced all furniture with this type of seat and height-adjustable desks, most of the problems associated with sitting would be significantly ameliorated.

I haven’t yet met someone who couldn’t find a comfortable position on a Capisco chair, and the standard version supports people with a wide range of heights and body shapes. (I suspect someone taller than 6'8" or shorter than 4'10" would probably need a different version.)

By contrast, standard office furniture (e.g. Aeron chairs) supports only one basic sitting position which is damaging and uncomfortable in the long term. Anyone with such standard office furniture should try to avoid sitting on it for more than 30–40 minutes at a time, or more than a few hours per day.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 00:48:54 by jacobolus »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Desk chair that won't go flat?
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:25:01 »
Herman Miller Embody. I have two of them and they're nothing but the best, and passively support and correct my posture due to the design of the seat back emulating our spines.

I would also upgrade to the balance fabric, as it is a breathable and durable material.

Very hard to describe the chair in words, but if you can find a good furniture store with one, by all means, go try it out! (Even if you don't end up buying one.)

P.S. The Aeron is a lot worse since it's an older design and has bad lumbar support unless you got the one specific option with the lumbar support pillow - even so, I cannot recommend it and would suggest the Embody after spending some time testing both.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:27:36 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:42:01 »

I've sat in an Aeron more or less daily for probably 5+ years total at this point. It's a good chair and will hold up (and the parts that wear can be replaced individually), but there are also other strong competitors out there. Wirecutter did a roundup that looks worth reading: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair/

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 19:55:33 »
I ****ing hate the Humanscale Freedom, ****. It's so uncomfortable.

I would recommend a mesh bottomed chair rather than padding. Pretty much guaranteed to not go flat.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 03:11:09 »

You didn't mention the Lumbar support pad.

These are on sale right now at Office Designs 15% off all Herman Miller + 5% off with the code: 5formom + free shipping (US) = $750 total for a fully loaded and fully warranted Aeron.

http://www.officedesigns.com/our-products/best-sellers/aeron/aeron-chair-custom
SSKs for everyone!

Offline AlitaJohnson

• Best Ergonomic Office Chairs
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 10:31:09 »
If you want some better solution then you can check this informative article hope this will be help ful. https://buyofficechairandtable.com/best-ergonomic-office-chairs/

Offline theKM

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 20:49:41 »
thread necromancy for fun and profit...

Offline hoggy

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 10:49:23 »
I've just got hold of a refurbished aeron and it's great.  The date label has been removed, but the design of the arm rests dates it to before 2004. 

It's a much better chair than the one I have at work.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0