Author Topic: Advice - QMK, Arduino + FastLED  (Read 4639 times)

Offline rthomson

Advice - QMK, Arduino + FastLED
« on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 12:23:47 »
Hi,

I need some help starting out please - my question is how can I set up or is it even possible to use QMK firmware and arduino libraries together?

I have a teensy 2++ that is going to drive a custom hand wired keyboard layout, reading the forums QMK firmware looks like a good choice for handling the RBG cherry switches?

What I wanted to know is how can I include calls to the board? Sorry if this is dumb but in the arduino IDE I can hook up a potentiometer and then call analogRead(A0).

I was hoping I could then add some WS2818B leds for some dynamic backlighting utilising FastLED and then change the hue using the value from the above call?

Is this even remotely possible?

I would really appreciate any guidance - I am okay with programming (.Net dev) but this is my first DIY and I am totally unfamiliar with the environment.

I have downloaded Arduino along with Teensyduino and have plugged away at a breadboard. C:\program files (x86)\Arduino  this seems all good - my next port of call was how to drive the switches and QMK looks just what I need (Macros, layers, etc) so I've installed bash/git on my Windows 10 pc and downloaded: QMK to C:\firmware\qmk_firmware.

But now I am at a loss and before I start wiring, just where to begin and avoid a cluster ....  so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Going plate mount, hand wired all the accessories on hand.

Should I even use QMK and instead use the bounce library (Seems very very limited - no macros, layers).

Sorry for all the questions - if you know even an answer to one part please I would be happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading this post

Offline spacewolf

Re: Advice - QMK, Arduino + FastLED
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 19:02:08 »
bump. I would also love to know if we can combine QMK and FastLED

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 19:12:52 »
I can't help you but the folks who make the Teensy have this to say.
REΛLFORCE

Offline regack

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:38:36 »
Is FastLED some additional LED controlling software to make the LEDs do fancy things, because QMK can control WS2812 LEDs just fine, "out of the box".   I suspect you should be able to get QMK to run on the AT90... I got it to run on the ATmega32U2.   

Offline trotXid

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 00:55:00 »
I got it working a couple weeks ago on a pro micro.  I think the 200ma is due to voltage drop.  I can push 64 LEDs (amount I plan to use) to 350ma.  Haven't tried pushing it further.

https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/7ildri/qmk_fastled_144_rgb_leds_200ma/