Author Topic: Button giving out/Help!  (Read 2556 times)

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
Button giving out/Help!
« on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 23:24:39 »
Howdy all. Mech noob here!

I've had my DAS with blues for probably going on 4-5 years now and over the past 2-3 weeks or so my A button is giving out on me. I've made sure everything is super clean top to bottom, pulled the keys out and gave it  good once over and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

It typically won't work on the first strike, but then when you hit it again it will work. And if you have to type a few A's in succession it tends to work well until you lay off of it for a second.

So any advise on how I can fix this. Or am I going to have to learn how to solder this bad boy with a new switch?

Thanks in advance!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Button giving out/Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 23:49:08 »
mm... easy fix..   but you will need a soldering iron.

Get one of those $5-10 irons..  you don't need any super soldering pro deluxe gtx xtx,   since ur only fixing 1 switch..

you'd take apart the keyboard,  and then just touch the iron (after hot)  to the two contacts on the key to reflow the solder there.

Now, if the switch still does not work right .. 

THEN you need to buy a SINGLE replacement mx blue switch,  and swap it out..

You also don't need a desoldering braid or gun etc..   just take some cutips,  and while the solder is melted,  quickly push it up and away from the contacts using the cutip..

Don't hold the soldering iron on the contact for too long,  or you might burn off the trace..

BUT,  don't be afraid,  because even if you burn off the trace,  take a picture of the back of the board,  and we will tell you where next to solder to by jumping the connection using a basic copper wire, 

EVEN if you light the keyboard on fire,  we can probably still fix it.. although,  please don't set your keyboard on fire.

This is a straight forward jobbie,     Geekhack has you covered..   Fear not.. We are here..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 01:10:47 »
That's weirdly a good post from tp4.

I'd say just replace the switch.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 01:18:03 »

Tp4 ,  Superior Posts..  /Geekhack's best.   

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 06:38:57 »
mm... easy fix..   but you will need a soldering iron.

Get one of those $5-10 irons..  you don't need any super soldering pro deluxe gtx xtx,   since ur only fixing 1 switch..

you'd take apart the keyboard,  and then just touch the iron (after hot)  to the two contacts on the key to reflow the solder there.

Now, if the switch still does not work right .. 

THEN you need to buy a SINGLE replacement mx blue switch,  and swap it out..

You also don't need a desoldering braid or gun etc..   just take some cutips,  and while the solder is melted,  quickly push it up and away from the contacts using the cutip..

Don't hold the soldering iron on the contact for too long,  or you might burn off the trace..

BUT,  don't be afraid,  because even if you burn off the trace,  take a picture of the back of the board,  and we will tell you where next to solder to by jumping the connection using a basic copper wire, 

EVEN if you light the keyboard on fire,  we can probably still fix it.. although,  please don't set your keyboard on fire.

This is a straight forward jobbie,     Geekhack has you covered..   Fear not.. We are here..
Show Image

I was afraid of needing to solder it....Doesn't seem too hard though. I might have to practice a bit so I don't totally mess it up. I've been meaning to get a soldering iron for a while now and learn so I might as well learn this way haha

Thank you for the help

Yeaaaa I figured that's what most people would say. Time to learn myself some soldering!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 07:32:00 »

I might have to practice a bit so I don't totally mess it up.

I've been meaning to get a soldering iron for a while now and learn so I might as well learn this way

Find any old piece of electronic gear that is going into the garbage anyway. Practice removing and replacing a few components there before going into your good keyboard.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:21:29 »
Yes the post is very well written.  I disagree however about not needing a solder sucker.  If there is any residual solder on the contacts you will nearly have to break the switch to remove it from the board.  If it takes you several tries to desolder the switch that very well may damage the trace or pad.  On some boards they are damaged fairly easily.

I agree about practicing removing and resoldering on a dead appliance.  A six year old could probably solder a component to a board (although this is not a good idea), but desoldering can be a little tricky.  Granted it's one switch, but good to get the hang of it before performing the procedure on $140 keyboard.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:52:21 »
Yes the post is very well written.  I disagree however about not needing a solder sucker.  If there is any residual solder on the contacts you will nearly have to break the switch to remove it from the board.  If it takes you several tries to desolder the switch that very well may damage the trace or pad.  On some boards they are damaged fairly easily.

I agree about practicing removing and resoldering on a dead appliance.  A six year old could probably solder a component to a board (although this is not a good idea), but desoldering can be a little tricky.  Granted it's one switch, but good to get the hang of it before performing the procedure on $140 keyboard.

mmm.....  FINE..  but know this.. cheapest  Solder sucker is $2.15  on amazon..   You just made the OP spend an extra $2.15...

That's his lunch money..

Offline atarione

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:59:14 »
I'm actually just asking because I don't have any experience soldering keyboards (audio gear / computer stuff a bit... fairly novice to be sure) but I don't know if I'm just clumsy but I could never get the solder sucker to work basically at all... at the end of the day I decided to blame being left handed and deciding the soldering iron / sucker..(one of the two at least) were conspiring against me and my left-handedness. (most likely nonsense but that is were I left it).    I decided instead to use the solder wick approach which worked much better for me.

sooo since it was mentioned some keyboards have the traces damaged easily is solder wick an option with keyboards or is non a good idea?

Thank you.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 21:06:49 »
I'm actually just asking because I don't have any experience soldering keyboards (audio gear / computer stuff a bit... fairly novice to be sure) but I don't know if I'm just clumsy but I could never get the solder sucker to work basically at all... at the end of the day I decided to blame being left handed and deciding the soldering iron / sucker..(one of the two at least) were conspiring against me and my left-handedness. (most likely nonsense but that is were I left it).    I decided instead to use the solder wick approach which worked much better for me.

sooo since it was mentioned some keyboards have the traces damaged easily is solder wick an option with keyboards or is non a good idea?

Thank you.

There's a greater chance of damage with the wick,  vs the sucker..

Watch a few youtube videos on solder suckers..    the Key takeaway is the TIMING..   you have to press the button while the solder is still fluid..   You also have to be very close ,  don't be afraid to touch the tip to the iron even,  Doesn't matter,  it's designed for that..

As long as you do it quickly,  the tip will survive..  even if it doesn't , who cares,   just cut off the melted part, and it still works. .

Offline atarione

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 00:58:04 »

There's a greater chance of damage with the wick,  vs the sucker..

Watch a few youtube videos on solder suckers..    the Key takeaway is the TIMING..   you have to press the button while the solder is still fluid..   You also have to be very close ,  don't be afraid to touch the tip to the iron even,  Doesn't matter,  it's designed for that..

As long as you do it quickly,  the tip will survive..  even if it doesn't , who cares,   just cut off the melted part, and it still works. .

Thanx indeed for the info... I will get some old broken stuff to practice on and see if I can master (~ish) the solder sucker thing then before any future keyboard desoldering.    Hopefully taking your advice and watching some other videos will help I was getting pretty well frustrated with it when I last tried...but I'll give it another go.

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 08:48:45 »

I believe I have an old VCR laying around somewhere I could mess with. I'll give it a go. As far as soldering irons go do you get what you pay for or can I go a little cheaper?

mmm.....  FINE..  but know this.. cheapest  Solder sucker is $2.15  on amazon..   You just made the OP spend an extra $2.15...

That's his lunch money..

I'ma go broke!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 11:34:43 »

You're fixing 1 switch..  just get the $5 soldering iron.. and the $2.15 desolder pump