Author Topic: Does any of you have a new Realforce Silent?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Does any of you have a new Realforce Silent?
« on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 06:45:30 »
I know Toper has changed couple things quite recently. They have non sculpted windows logo keys with a new logo, also a menu key has different print. Probably other keys also, but rather small and insignificant changes.

That's all fine.

The thing that was not mentioned anywhere, and can't be told from photos is the fact that the black cases are no longer black. I mean, they are made out of black plastic like they used to, but they are also coated with a dark grey paint matching colour of the keycaps a bit better. It struck me at first that it doesn't match other black peripherals but I replaced them (yes call this OCD if you want) and I'm fine with it.
What really bothers me is that the coating is not particularly good quality and it fades off on a front ridge of the keyboard. Left corner is now a black spot, and where my right palm rubs the front of the keyboard I have a slightly smaller spot too. This is ridiculous. I mentioned that to the seller (keyboardco) and they are working on a solution with Topre. I doubt anything will come out of this since it's been 2 months already.

So I'm thinking about going beige this time. Unfortunately keyboardco doesn't have beige silent keyboards, so I'd have to go eBay route (which means no returns, no warranty, no VAT invoice meaning higher price to pay).

I can pay more, and I can take the risk of not having warranty (having couple other RF keyboards for parts if necessary).
What I don't want is to find out the new beige models have some kind of crappy fading coating as well.

So guys, if any of you has purchased a white silent Realforce? Is it bare plastic like older Topre keyboards, or is it coated with this crappy paint? The easiest way to find out is to open the keyboard. With painted ones, colour of the inside does not match the colour of the outside. Also I believe this is only the case with the models that have new windows logo and no bubbles on windows keys.

Here are the pics BTW:
152040-0
152042-1
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline E3E

Re: Does any of you have a new Realforce Silent?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 07:07:46 »
Hmm, that is really strange.

It's one reason I use my wrist rest with my Realforce, so I don't shine or wear the texture on the case. I have seen far too many vintage keyboards with the texture worn off from what I can assume were palms leaning on the bezel or thumbs rubbing up against it. 

I'm not sure if your case has lost texture (and shined) or if it's indeed paint that has rubbed off. It looks more like shine to me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 07:09:59 by E3E »

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Re: Does any of you have a new Realforce Silent?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 07:20:17 »
Both my friend. I actually don't mind the shine as it's just a sign of putting keyboard to a good use. But the discoloration to me is a sign of low quality. Last thing I'd expect from Realforce keyboard really.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl