Author Topic: Ducky Realforce Taiwan Edition  (Read 75265 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Ducky Realforce Taiwan Edition
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:02:52 »
Just got this in...

Is that the silenced 45g uniform board? I was ridiculously close to pulling the trigger on that one if so. If I weren't saving my pennies for a turbo upgrade I probably would have picked one up.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline kinetic

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:51:58 »
Just got this in...

Is that the silenced 45g uniform board? I was ridiculously close to pulling the trigger on that one if so. If I weren't saving my pennies for a turbo upgrade I probably would have picked one up.

Yea it's silenced.  I fell in love with this type of board after getting the Ducky x Realforce and always wanted a Topre board in this color scheme.. I had to pull the trigger.  I think I need to lay off keyboard purchases for a bit :)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:55:39 »
Should be getting mine at some point in the week, it's already in Canada.  :cool:
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline kinetic

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:48:40 »
Should be getting mine at some point in the week, it's already in Canada.  :cool:

Ah!  Let me know what you think.  I was surprised there weren't any extras with this board.. not even the swappable ctrl / caps lock.  I did get a small extra from widebasket though, which you'll discover when you get yours :)

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:05:54 »
Last Thursday I photographed the unboxing of my Ducky Realforce Taiwan.

http://imgur.com/a/8i6os

The next night I convinced my friend who does product photography to give my keyboard the supermodel treatment. I've got to proof the final shots, but I'm thinking this keyboard is a swimsuit away from Sports Illustrated.

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:49:30 »
I placed an order for the 45gr version thanks to this thread. :)

Before I had an HHKB Type-S but for work, I found that many of my common keys where layered and just didn't work well. I also had the Realforce 87U ergo, which was near perfect but the lower weight keys felt very soft, but the biggest problem was the dark grey on black keys. Honestly I like the feeling of light keys but at 30gr, seems like it's extremely soft and might not have much feedback or quickness in key resetting.

The Ducky version sounds near perfect and I was actually looking on eBay for Realforce keycaps sets to swap out a black Realforce board. The pricing was just too much and even though I like a TKL, finding the full size helps out with spreadsheets and other work stuff.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 18:50:32 »
I was very excited today because it's the day that my shipment from Mechanical Keyboard arrived at my house. I've never tried Topre switches before and was very curious what all the fuss on this forum was about. You guys were so right, typing on a boob cloud is the best way to describe it ...just amazing. Really glad I picked this up for work instead of the 104-UG (Hi-Pro) on Massdrop right now. Wasn't really feeling the color scheme of that keyboard, and it seems like getting used to the higher profile keys would take some time.

This board is perfect for anyone looking for a uniform 45g topre they're planning on using for work (I do a lot of excel work so the numkeypad is appreciated for those long numerical strings.)  My favorite switches are the MX Browns and I am loving the force needed to press down each key. The silenced switches do sound very different from all the thock thock Topre vids on YouTube, but to me that's a plus, YMMV.

RexS, where is our update!? Just kidding. I do photography and video myself and that looks like those pictures came out great :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:37:19 »

The next night I convinced my friend who does product photography to give my keyboard the supermodel treatment. I've got to proof the final shots, but I'm thinking this keyboard is a swimsuit away from Sports Illustrated.

Show Image

LOVE this keyboard and your photos I see a 104UB (30g or 45g) board on mechanicalkeyboards.com - any difference between that and the taiwan version? Either way splendid photos

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:42:51 »

Show Image

LOVE this keyboard and your photos
Show Image
I see a 104UB (30g or 45g) board on mechanicalkeyboards.com - any difference between that and the taiwan version? Either way splendid photos
The ones on mechanicalkeyboards.com are taiwan editions so no nothing different.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:21:29 »
After spending a few days with the 45 gram version, my only complaint is the weird font and kerning on the "Home" "Scroll Lock" and other keys. Someone mentioned this, but it's pretty obvious it's not really matching the rest of the key caps. I'm thinking the next version should have this corrected, but there was also a font issue on the Shine 5 RGB (10 key pad, the "+" and "-" don't match justified) as well, wonder if it's related to some supply line issues or molds?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:29:28 »
Perhaps that is the reason the price is similar to the price of a RF with regular RF key caps. Now that you mention it, I can sort of see the font irregularities in some of those photos. 

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:30:21 »
Why are you looking down when you type? hue hue.

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 22:19:15 »
This is a good example of the font and kerning issues. Notice the font on "Back Space" compared with the edit keys, then back to "Num Lock".

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 22:27:13 »
Mhm, well damn I'm not sure if that is a deal breaker for me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 04:57:51 »
Wouldn't bother me as I try not to look at the keyboard too much while typing :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 17:09:05 »
Perhaps that is the reason the price is similar to the price of a RF with regular RF key caps. Now that you mention it, I can sort of see the font irregularities in some of those photos.

All my Topre keyboards (white on gray ABS Type Heaven, black on black PBT Realforce 104UB, black on pure white PBT Realforce 104UB-DK45S) exhibit these same font problems. Search google and you'll see indentical font problems across all color of Realforce keyboards. Sometimes the Scroll Lock line height is closer to that of Back Space but usually it matches the crazy line height of its neighbors: Print Screen, Page Up, Page Down.

Proper fonts are why I was really excited about Matt3o's custom Topre key set. Unless you go Novatouch sliders to get MX stems you have no native alternate when it comes to great fonts on your Topre (I'm not speaking for HHKB since I do not own one, but I have purchased a few PFU key sets).  Us Topre folk sit by and watch drop after drop and group by after group by of beautiful fonts on beautiful colorways across varying MX key cap profiles. We're still at the caveman drawing stage of fonts and colors.

My endgame keyboard would have to include a Gorton font on a PBT key cap in Topre profile. But once I stop staring down at my belly button and start typing I literally cannot distinguish the font in my peripheral vision. I still notice the color of the keys, but visually it stops there... I start listening to the thock, contemplating the dry PBT feel of each key, and smelling the bull**** I type.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 18:04:32 »

All my Topre keyboards (white on gray ABS Type Heaven, black on black PBT Realforce 104UB, black on pure white PBT Realforce 104UB-DK45S) exhibit these same font problems. Search google and you'll see indentical font problems across all color of Realforce keyboards. Sometimes the Scroll Lock line height is closer to that of Back Space but usually it matches the crazy line height of its neighbors: Print Screen, Page Up, Page Down.

Proper fonts are why I was really excited about Matt3o's custom Topre key set. Unless you go Novatouch sliders to get MX stems you have no native alternate when it comes to great fonts on your Topre (I'm not speaking for HHKB since I do not own one, but I have purchased a few PFU key sets).  Us Topre folk sit by and watch drop after drop and group by after group by of beautiful fonts on beautiful colorways across varying MX key cap profiles. We're still at the caveman drawing stage of fonts and colors.

My endgame keyboard would have to include a Gorton font on a PBT key cap in Topre profile. But once I stop staring down at my belly button and start typing I literally cannot distinguish the font in my peripheral vision. I still notice the color of the keys, but visually it stops there... I start listening to the thock, contemplating the dry PBT feel of each key, and smelling the bull**** I type.
I was under the newbie impression that Ducky used their own legends but after looking at many other RF pictures I see your point. Now I'm thinking there is a price difference because of how easy it is to spot the irregularities on the Taiwan edition. I rarely look at the legends myself but it is a little disheartening  :-\

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:14:41 »
I was under the newbie impression that Ducky used their own legends but after looking at many other RF pictures I see your point. Now I'm thinking there is a price difference because of how easy it is to spot the irregularities on the Taiwan edition. I rarely look at the legends myself but it is a little disheartening  :-\

The Ducky seems priced right in the middle of the field as far as the Realforce 104U family goes. The early 2015 Ducky 104UB-DK went on Massdrop last year between $215 and $230 and it didn't have silencing. So I'm not convinced its being sold at any discount. I honestly would not buy the silenced 104UB for the $255 price of the Ducky (the 104UB silent is currently $275 on EK.com) since I'd have to spend $125 or so on a Type Heaven for its rubber (technically I have another Type Heaven available but if I'm going D.I.Y. then I'm also going to dip into my personal stash of silencing rings).

I'm extremely thankful I found the 104UB-DK45S. I'd been so excited for the silent 104U products announced on Massdrop until I saw they were all variable weight. I had an order in with one retailer for a 104UG HiPro and a 104U white from which I'd planned to cobble a 45g 104UB-DK and add silencers. I considered it an end game. But that purchase stayed back ordered for so long I cancelled it (strong US dollar in CAD not helpful if it never ships).

I honestly never thought I'd get Topre, 45g uniform + silent right out of the box. And I'm super happy about it since this is a great baseline for calculating my satisfaction with other things topre like rubber dome swaps (cannot tell the difference* between 45g Type Heaven rubber and 45g Realforce 104 rubber) and silencing rings (the urethane foam Hypersphere rings are amazing).  I'm no longer eyeing greener pastures when it comes to the Topre variables I care about. Just sitting back waiting for that sweet typography. And my Granite Massdrop. Any day now. I'm gonna need a Novatouch...

* Type Heaven rubber is different than Realforce rubber -- TH has far more individual pieces that can be a pain to line up when reassembling the board; RF rubber comes in a contiguous sheet that is very simple to align. Once assembled I perceive no difference (except that maybe the TH has more resistance? j/k I said I can't tell!)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:20:11 by RexS »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 21:36:26 »

The Ducky seems priced right in the middle of the field as far as the Realforce 104U family goes. The early 2015 Ducky 104UB-DK went on Massdrop last year between $215 and $230 and it didn't have silencing. So I'm not convinced its being sold at any discount. I honestly would not buy the silenced 104UB for the $255 price of the Ducky (the 104UB silent is currently $275 on EK.com) since I'd have to spend $125 or so on a Type Heaven for its rubber (technically I have another Type Heaven available but if I'm going D.I.Y. then I'm also going to dip into my personal stash of silencing rings).

I'm extremely thankful I found the 104UB-DK45S. I'd been so excited for the silent 104U products announced on Massdrop until I saw they were all variable weight. I had an order in with one retailer for a 104UG HiPro and a 104U white from which I'd planned to cobble a 45g 104UB-DK and add silencers. I considered it an end game. But that purchase stayed back ordered for so long I cancelled it (strong US dollar in CAD not helpful if it never ships).

I honestly never thought I'd get Topre, 45g uniform + silent right out of the box. And I'm super happy about it since this is a great baseline for calculating my satisfaction with other things topre like rubber dome swaps (cannot tell the difference* between 45g Type Heaven rubber and 45g Realforce 104 rubber) and silencing rings (the urethane foam Hypersphere rings are amazing).  I'm no longer eyeing greener pastures when it comes to the Topre variables I care about. Just sitting back waiting for that sweet typography. And my Granite Massdrop. Any day now. I'm gonna need a Novatouch...

* Type Heaven rubber is different than Realforce rubber -- TH has far more individual pieces that can be a pain to line up when reassembling the board; RF rubber comes in a contiguous sheet that is very simple to align. Once assembled I perceive no difference (except that maybe the TH has more resistance? j/k I said I can't tell!)
I'm not trying to sell you a RF board with Ducky keycaps man. I'm merely commenting on a price that is not scaled to accommodate Ducky's (probably) thicker PBT keycaps. I can't find comparison measurements of Ducky vs RF :'(

Ducky Thick PBT Goodness Bonus Footage (found here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40605.0)

Mechanicalkeyboards.com has the UB104 (45g and 30g) for $255 USD which is a little cheaper than EK's $275 silenced RF board.

Haha, Novatouch sliders vs Shapeways $6 per slider.. no contest. I checked out the prices for taobao.com topre keysets.. holy moly, they're about $150 per set!

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:32:13 »
I'm not trying to sell you a RF board with Ducky keycaps man. I'm merely commenting on a price that is not scaled to accommodate Ducky's (probably) thicker PBT keycaps. I can't find comparison measurements of Ducky vs RF :'(

Here are the measurements of the keys I have in front of me.

Clockwise from the top left in the pic below I've got a Type Heaven ESC (gray), Ducky 104UB-DK45S ESC (pure white), Realforce 104UB ESC (black), Ducky 104UB-DK45S ESC (red), PFU Color Key Top Set blank (cyan),  and a Ducky 104UB-DK45S letter D (red) on its side.

It's exactly 1.11mm at the back wall of the RF and the Ducky. I can't say with any authority but it really looks like these keys came from the same molds. I could speculate on the numbers stamped on the inside, but that's treading into tea leaf territory. No one describes Topre as having thick PBT, but it's a high quality key cap nonetheless.

Normal apologies for the quality, I'm approaching the limits of iPhone macro photography.

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:34:00 by RexS »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 08:51:47 »

Here are the measurements of the keys I have in front of me.

Clockwise from the top left in the pic below I've got a Type Heaven ESC (gray), Ducky 104UB-DK45S ESC (pure white), Realforce 104UB ESC (black), Ducky 104UB-DK45S ESC (red), PFU Color Key Top Set blank (cyan),  and a Ducky 104UB-DK45S letter D (red) on its side.

It's exactly 1.11mm at the back wall of the RF and the Ducky. I can't say with any authority but it really looks like these keys came from the same molds. I could speculate on the numbers stamped on the inside, but that's treading into tea leaf territory. No one describes Topre as having thick PBT, but it's a high quality key cap nonetheless.

Normal apologies for the quality, I'm approaching the limits of iPhone macro photography.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Measurements! Huh, so.. curious. From the same mold? Thank you for that, the pictures are decent enough to make out the info.

Now I'm wondering if Ducky funded the manufacturing of the (PFU?) keycaps in exchange for a little marketing. Or perhaps PFU already had white caps and received reimbursement from Ducky for marketing. Or does Ducky have the exact same molds as PFU?! 

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 09:01:27 »
Guys, it's branded as "Ducky" because they use their brand and distribution channels in China/Taiwan. The Leopold version is named as such for the same reasons in Korea. Otherwise, these are Topre/Realforce made boards. Keychatter has a review up of an actual Topre/Realforce brand 45G silenced board with black keycaps and flat winkeys (here), and Massdrop/EK have been selling the new silenced variable editions which are Realforce branded.

The price hike is due to these being "limited edition" models to a degree, but more specifically being factory silenced (purple sliders).

Again, just to reiterate - Ducky/Leopold seem to only be involved in this in terms of branding/distribution. They had no hand in the production of the units or keycaps.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 22:45:36 »
Keychatter has a review up of an actual Topre/Realforce brand 45G silenced board with black keycaps and flat winkeys (here), and Massdrop/EK have been selling the new silenced variable editions which are Realforce branded.

I really want livingspeedbump to confirm that 45g weight from his keychatter review. Massdrop links the review from their variable weight sale page (one is going on now w/PBT spacebars) and in each discussion thread people have to confirm that what is for sale is not 45g, but is variable weight.

The price hike is due to these being "limited edition" models to a degree, but more specifically being factory silenced (purple sliders).

The recent price discussion revolved around the $20 difference between the silent Ducky and the (more expensive) silent Realforce. I think we're both in agreement that the current pricing is in line with other models.

Again, just to reiterate - Ducky/Leopold seem to only be involved in this in terms of branding/distribution. They had no hand in the production of the units or keycaps.

Given the scarcity of aftermarket Topre I think many would love to learn the terms of that branding; however, absent any real information we MUST speculate!

Last year's Ducky 104UB-DK looked like it was a 104U white/gray keyset in a 104UG HiPro case (black with black branding sticker). But the 104UG has blue LEDs and the Ducky has red LEDs. Now this year's Ducky features silencing and a key set in a color I've never seen. Are every one of these options available to and decided by the distributor or does Topre choose a combination?

The Leopold legends are different from the Realforce. Did Leopold design the legends? Did Topre exercise any editorial control? Who thought up the Type Heaven RGB?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 17:19:45 »
So I just got mine in today (I plan to harvest the sliders). I am not normally a fan of 45g Topre but typing on this board is really something...

I was pleasantly surprised by the standard wire keypuller (Topre...plz...) and the left control key!

I will probably use it for a few days and write a quick review. I plan on making a lot of comparisons (45 vs 55, Hypersphere vs Topre Silenced vs stock, etc), so feel free to ask questions!

Here's a quick typing sample I took

I really want livingspeedbump to confirm that 45g weight from his keychatter review. Massdrop links the review from their variable weight sale page (one is going on now w/PBT spacebars) and in each discussion thread people have to confirm that what is for sale is not 45g, but is variable weight.

The paper in LSB's box says variable weight, but given this unit isn't documented anywhere (even the Deskthority reference list) I'm left scratching my head...

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:07:18 »
So I just got mine in today (I plan to harvest the sliders). I am not normally a fan of 45g Topre but typing on this board is really something...

I was pleasantly surprised by the standard wire keypuller (Topre...plz...) and the left control key!

Show Image

I will probably use it for a few days and write a quick review. I plan on making a lot of comparisons (45 vs 55, Hypersphere vs Topre Silenced vs stock, etc), so feel free to ask questions!

Ohhh I'm very interested in how this compares to Hypersphere's silence ring, since I already have a 45g modded Realforce, I was debating if it's worth it to buy the Ducky one or just mod it with Hypersphere's rings.

I'll be looking forward to your review.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:58:22 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 23:02:05 »
...snip...

...snip

Thanks for that sound clip. Sounds nice and mellow. I love my 55g RealForce 87u, but am sorely tempted by the Ducky RealForce Taiwan Edition.

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 04:08:57 »

Ohhh I'm very interested in how this compares to Hypersphere's silence ring, since I already have a 45g modded Realforce, I was debating if it's worth it to buy the Ducky one or just mod it with Hypersphere's rings.

I was in the same boat as you. I had a 104UB modded to 45g uniform. The Hypersphere rings got my attention since he was very meticulous about getting it right. I pulled the trigger when he put another batch on ebay and was blown away by the way the typing experience improved by eliminating most of the noise.

I wanted a second keyboard for home, but could not do black on black legends given my ambient light but also didn't want a keyboard in a white case. Long story short instead of spending $$$ on a Realforce for home AND STILL having to add my own silencing rings I bought this year's Ducky. It has all the things I want.

Now, if I were you AND I needed a second Realforce I wouldn't hesitate. You get the 45g uniform, the silencing rings with fancy purple sliders all ready to go -- doesn't need hours to tear down and rebuild. But the downside to this, for me anyway, is that once you go silencing ring you won't want to go back. I'd be thinking about buying those Hypersphere rings for my other board all the time -- too curious to resist.

So if I didn't need a second fullsize Realforce I would eBay some Hypersphere silencing rings immediately. The hours of meticulous teardown and rebuild can be very Zen. You get everything cleaned up, rubber lined up, and when it all snaps together and its time to test it out... Mmmmm... silent Topre.

As far as the differences between Hyperphere rings and factory silenced Realforce, well, its subtle. The purple stem is apparently longer than the black stem by the thickness of one silencing ring (0.53mm). I swear that my Hypsphere silenced board does indeed have a barely perceivable shorter throw.  I did not detect this the day I installed the rings. Its only after typing all day on one and then transitioning to the other that I noticed a difference.

The Hypersphere silenced board is a delight to type on. It's not stiff (Type Heaven 45g rubber) and the keys don't clack in any way (Hypersphere's urethane foam may well be softer), and I like the slightly shorter key travel.  But the Ducky... the Ducky is tight. The pure white PBT caps are bone dry, and the switches bottom out into a controlled stacatto. The travel is not even a millimeter longer, but it lands so tightly at the bottom and returns so silently to the top. The Ducky is a crisp typing experience.

Good luck on your Topre road.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 04:12:52 by RexS »

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 05:54:31 »
Just a question, where do you guys source your domes? I'm currently in the process of modding my 87U to 45g but can't find any domes. Any options other than buying a used novatouch or similar?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 06:28:22 »
Just a question, where do you guys source your domes? I'm currently in the process of modding my 87U to 45g but can't find any domes. Any options other than buying a used novatouch or similar?

Gotta get them from a topre board

I got really lucky last year as this guy on ebay was selling novatouches brand new in box for $140 AUD

Offline RexS

• SILENCE THE TOPRE
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:53:36 »

No other option. I've been able to source used Type Heavens for around $100 and that gets you a good number of domes.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 05:51:46 »
Ahh why no tkl. Full size gives me a soft-on :(

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 11:18:08 »

I was in the same boat as you. I had a 104UB modded to 45g uniform. The Hypersphere rings got my attention since he was very meticulous about getting it right. I pulled the trigger when he put another batch on ebay and was blown away by the way the typing experience improved by eliminating most of the noise.

I wanted a second keyboard for home, but could not do black on black legends given my ambient light but also didn't want a keyboard in a white case. Long story short instead of spending $$$ on a Realforce for home AND STILL having to add my own silencing rings I bought this year's Ducky. It has all the things I want.

Now, if I were you AND I needed a second Realforce I wouldn't hesitate. You get the 45g uniform, the silencing rings with fancy purple sliders all ready to go -- doesn't need hours to tear down and rebuild. But the downside to this, for me anyway, is that once you go silencing ring you won't want to go back. I'd be thinking about buying those Hypersphere rings for my other board all the time -- too curious to resist.

So if I didn't need a second fullsize Realforce I would eBay some Hypersphere silencing rings immediately. The hours of meticulous teardown and rebuild can be very Zen. You get everything cleaned up, rubber lined up, and when it all snaps together and its time to test it out... Mmmmm... silent Topre.

As far as the differences between Hyperphere rings and factory silenced Realforce, well, its subtle. The purple stem is apparently longer than the black stem by the thickness of one silencing ring (0.53mm). I swear that my Hypsphere silenced board does indeed have a barely perceivable shorter throw.  I did not detect this the day I installed the rings. Its only after typing all day on one and then transitioning to the other that I noticed a difference.

The Hypersphere silenced board is a delight to type on. It's not stiff (Type Heaven 45g rubber) and the keys don't clack in any way (Hypersphere's urethane foam may well be softer), and I like the slightly shorter key travel.  But the Ducky... the Ducky is tight. The pure white PBT caps are bone dry, and the switches bottom out into a controlled stacatto. The travel is not even a millimeter longer, but it lands so tightly at the bottom and returns so silently to the top. The Ducky is a crisp typing experience.

Good luck on your Topre road.

Ohhhhhhhh thanks for the explanation !!!

Haha I'll aim for getting the Hypersphere rings first then.  When the Canadian dollar isn't so crap anymore sighhhhhh.  :(

But at least now I'll look forward to it.  :thumb:

Ahh why no tkl. Full size gives me a soft-on :(

I think because silence Topre tenkeyless already exist since a long time ago.  Granted probably not in the 45g format.

And Ducky Topre has always been full size.  :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2016, 11:20:32 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 11:20:48 »
Do these come with the alternate ctrl/caps lock keys?

I asked the same about one being sold in the classifieds, but just want to make sure. :confused:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 20:11:42 »
Do these come with the alternate ctrl/caps lock keys?

I asked the same about one being sold in the classifieds, but just want to make sure. :confused:

No, only Red Esc+WASD and the Ducky Wire Puller ;)

Offline steelcity

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 07:25:39 »
Getting mine in the mail today!  Can't wait to try out the Topre switches for the first time!

Does anyone know if the Light grey (white) PBT Spacebars from the recent GB and MD sales are an exact match to the white keys of the Ducky branded board?  Is this the same shade of white as on the normal Topre branded realforce?  If I end up keeping this board I'm sure I'll want a PBT spacebar for it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 07:39:31 »
Getting mine in the mail today!  Can't wait to try out the Topre switches for the first time!

Does anyone know if the Light grey (white) PBT Spacebars from the recent GB and MD sales are an exact match to the white keys of the Ducky branded board?  Is this the same shade of white as on the normal Topre branded realforce?  If I end up keeping this board I'm sure I'll want a PBT spacebar for it.
I was under the impression the ducky white is a bright white and is different from any other Topre set.

Offline steelcity

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 10:12:43 »
That's what I was thinking.  Hopefully they can include a matching bright white spacebar for the next pbt spacebar GB / MD !!!

Offline kinetic

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:06:31 »
The PBT space bar is a considerable off white compared to the Ducky.  I've thrown the red PBT space bar on there which doesn't look too bad (I've also added a red esc and arrow keys).  However, after 2+ months of use, I've unfortunately already noticed some staining on the ctrl key. Time to give the Ducky a break and switch to the 55g.

Offline steelcity

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:07:38 »
Well, I just got it (typing on it now) and I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the keycaps.  They do look like they will stain very easily.  And boy are they bright!  Blinding coming from the navy caps on my FC900! 

My first impression of the Topre switch was a bit weird coming from a mx blues and browns on ducky boards and FC900 boards.  But it's not a bad feeling.  I definitely want to try a 55G uniform, but I don't know if they make one is a silent version 103 or 104 key.

It is definitely MUCH quieter than a mx brown switch keyboard. 

Not sure whether to give this a few weeks to test out or to box it back up so I can sell it like new.  Even if I do decide that Topre is my end game switch, I would probably prefer the black keycaps from the normal Topre branded Realforces at EK. 

Why is choosing a keyboard so hard and why I am so obsessed with it???   :eek:

Offline kinetic

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:23:08 »
I was a bit taken a back by the white caps as well, but it does eventually grow on you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 05:12:51 »
That's what I was thinking.  Hopefully they can include a matching bright white spacebar for the next pbt spacebar GB / MD !!!

Hopefully Ducky might make some Topre full sets in various colours (that would also be compatible with RealForce and/or HHKB) ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline steelcity

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 08:51:20 »
I've decided to sell my Ducky Topre in favor of my FC900's, which I am going to be modding with Zealios (going to one board with 65G purples and one with 67G purples to test both switches).  I like the feeling of the Topre switch, but wasn't a big fan of the board itself.  I think if Leopold came out with an FC900 with 55g uniform silent Topre switches I'd give that one a try, but I think that's a long shot.  I'm really digging the FC900 board with the Navy front print keycaps.  I'm hoping that adding the Zealios will make it my end-game board and then I can get on with life!   :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:23:47 »

Hopefully Ducky might make some Topre full sets in various colours (that would also be compatible with RealForce and/or HHKB) ...
Someone makes them somewhere. Ducky could do better and make two-toned sets! Taobao sets are insanely priced atm

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:42:43 »
I've decided to sell my Ducky Topre in favor of my FC900's, which I am going to be modding with Zealios (going to one board with 65G purples and one with 67G purples to test both switches).  I like the feeling of the Topre switch, but wasn't a big fan of the board itself.  I think if Leopold came out with an FC900 with 55g uniform silent Topre switches I'd give that one a try, but I think that's a long shot.  I'm really digging the FC900 board with the Navy front print keycaps.  I'm hoping that adding the Zealios will make it my end-game board and then I can get on with life!   :p

Just curious, what was it that made you decide to sell off the Ducky Realforce? Personally I am not a fan of full size boards, so that would impact me more than anything. Leopolds are good keyboards but I think the Realforce is a better quality keyboard throughout.

Offline steelcity

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:50:44 »
I think it was mostly hating the keycaps (and the thought of dropping $150 for an alternate set) and I feel like I would like the 55g better if anything. 

I decided to stick with the Fc900s in MX Brown for now, which I will be modding with Zealios as soon as they come in, and then I will give those a good for the moment.  I just really like typing on the Leopolds, and I LOVE the keycaps.  PBT, Navy, Front Print, and windowed lock keys.

I figure if someone releases a FS Realforce board with 55G uniform silent switches with decent keycaps I will try again at that point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 05:08:34 »

Someone makes them somewhere. Ducky could do better and make two-toned sets! Taobao sets are insanely priced atm

Yeah, this.

Ducky has all sorts of neat colours - blue/gray, green/cream, yellow/yellow - they'd sell a s***load of sets if they were RealForce compatible and sensibly priced, especially as RealForce sets are no longer available.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:32:22 »
My only issue with these less i'm mistaken is it is not offered in a TKL version and FullSize boards aggravate the hell out of my shoulder.  Were they do to a TKL version i'd likely eventually bite for a TKL brother for my Realforce 87u 55G.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline steelcity

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:37:58 »
Yeah, I agree that they need better colors.  The pure white gave me the impression that they would stain very easily.  It looked/felt almost porous compared to the Navy caps on the FC900.

Oh, and I forgot to mentioned the other reason I prefer my FC900 is the much more compact form factor of the board.  The Realforce just felt/looked huge compared to the FC900 with all of that extra space at the top.  Fullsized boards are large to begin with, so I appreciate that the FC900 is about as compact as you can get.  My Ducky Shines seemed large in comparison as well.

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:39:19 »

Ducky has all sorts of neat colours - blue/gray, green/cream, yellow/yellow - they'd sell a s***load of sets if they were RealForce compatible and sensibly priced, especially as RealForce sets are no longer available.

If anyone could convince Topre to start making colored sets again it should be Ducky...can only hope though :/

My only issue with these less i'm mistaken is it is not offered in a TKL version and FullSize boards aggravate the hell out of my shoulder.  Were they do to a TKL version i'd likely eventually bite for a TKL brother for my Realforce 87u 55G.

This was one of my thoughts when reviewing the board as well. It's a fantastic board throughout and I could put up with the bright keycaps if only it were TKL! It's such a refined Topre experience with those sliders; crisp, but not loud. If only the white case/black keycaps in TKL existed.