Author Topic: Throwback to Cone Feet: Igris V1  (Read 2857 times)

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

Throwback to Cone Feet: Igris V1
« on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 15:56:57 »
Hi everyone, invis here, I wanted to talk about an old school Korean custom design that involves flat boards angled with feet.  Some examples are OTD 356CL DGE, DK Saver, and KMAC.   Not only have these boards grown increasingly rare, but so has their price.  Cone feet was originally introduced as a cost saving measure instead of milling blocks of aluminum and adding brass weights to make the boards heavier.  In order to try the experience for myself, I've designed by own board inspired by these venerable kustoms.  And I'm happy I got it working on my first try.  Its development name is the Igris V1. 

Technical Specs
1.   20mm front height, 15mm feet increase angle to 8 degrees
2.   Tilted plate.  7mm to 8mm bezel height (helps hide the bezel gap optical illusion)
3.   2mm polycarbonate plate or 1.5mm aluminum plate
4.   6063 anodized aluminum
5.   13mm increase angle to 7 deg
6.   11mm increase angle to 5 deg
Typing test with 55g vints:
I think the board sound and typing feel has really grown on me.  The switches are clacky and despite the loud spacebar noise, it's not stiff or harsh feeling.  I've also hit my PR on the monkey-type 60 second sprint of 141!

Case Design
My current design is 20mm tall at the front, 12mm for the top piece, 8mm for the bottom piece.  A 11mm foot will bring the angle to 5 deg, 13mm to 7 deg, and 15mm to 8 deg.  The board is pretty typical in height, there are many other boards that limit the space under the pcb and make the front edge extremely thin to shave millimeters to get the front height down.  I do concede, the lower height does make adjusting to the typing angle easier, but the board is perfectly usable at 20mm.  I chose to make the bezels slim, inspired by the OTD 360 Corsa, which uses a 7mm front bezel thickness, with 4mm side walls.  This allows the profile of the board to not feel bulky. 
My current design has the cone feet recessed 1mm, but that mean internally I had to increase the thickness of the bottom upwards by 1mm.  I found this useless in application, but was merely a brief oversight when I discovered there wasn’t enough clearance at 2mm for an M4 screw.  The next revision and any future boards going forwards will have flat bottom. 

Plate Design
This plate is made to be compatible with the Koala, Whale, and Jane V2.  It is a 7-point mount, unlike the 10-point mount on the Duck Orion/Jane V1, or LZ’s modern 8-point mount.  This plate design was chosen to alleviate mounting pressure on the spacebar that other modern plate has.  By spacing the mounting points away from the whole length of the spacebar, there is less of a stiff feeling when bottom out and leads to a more uniform sound.  There are also lots of relief cutouts along the plate, again done in reference to the 360 Corsa and 456 GT (because of how readily available the plate reference is online).  The amount of relief cuts allows the plate to be more flexible than a plate without relief cuts.  Some also theorize that the relief cuts raise the pitch of the overall keyboard.
I have also designed a 2mm polycarbonate version of the plate with recommendation from a friend, also in reference to the Gon 2T polycarbonate plate for Koala and KMAC. 

Cone Feet
Like I mentioned before: A 11mm foot will bring the angle to 5 deg, 13mm to 7 deg, and 15mm to 8 deg.  My current feet design was based on the 356L/DGE aesthetic (as far as I can tell, I don’t see very many pictures of these at all) at 15mm height.  There are many other designs for cones, LZ, The Cheat, and even Chinese tray mount boards all have their own style of feet.   

Things to fix and things to do
Plate compatibility with H87A?
OG Prototype H87A was not made compatible with the plate, USB rubbing against the plate, but new Hiney pcbs are all compatible 
H87C? USB C?  It's currently USB Mini, but all I need to do is edit 2 dimensions for USB C.
Hollow sound from the bottom?
Shelf liner fixed it. 
Move cutout for feet so it doesn’t touch the table.
Desk mat will prevent scratching
Make the bottom of the board flat?
Currently the foot is recessed 1mm.  Doesn’t seem like it was ever needed.   
Send to velvet to build the polycarbonate plate and CEM3 pcb. 
Color? Factory anodized it in "space gray", but I ideally want something darker. 
Custom Engraving Options? Logo on inside, bottom, outside, etc.

Special thanks to bisoromi, pwner, Hiney, zekkin, for all the machining and CAD advice.  Thanks to ip, velvet, shaolin, dale, and biso for supporting my cone feet adventures.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 16:20:17 by iNViSiBiLiTi »
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
Re: Throwback to Cone Feet: Igris V1
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 16:00:58 »
naiiisu

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 16:06:08 »
🦶
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline yui_

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 16:24:57 »
i cant wait to buy this.

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 19:38:10 »
very nice
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB