Author Topic: [IC] GMK Olivetti & Screw-in Stabilizers  (Read 56778 times)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Re: [IC] GMK Olivetti (ICON + R5) + GMK Screw-in Stabilizers
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 06:40:20 »
Being honest here:

Don't mind ISO kit, but Norde and International seem like a lot of extra to me (personally).

In any case, so what's best for the group and not 1 voice :)

Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 06:50:00 »
Is this something people will want?

well, since most of the potential buyers are from the us: probably NO.
BUT, it would be an addon set so people from the US / ANSI-users just don't add it therefor won't have to pay more.
AND, YES - people from the EU would want it, they want ISO! you can read it in nearly every IC for a GMK set, where you can read something like "ISO please" - and not only the brits. I just think you would make this set appealing to more people, which translates to a higher possibility in reaching the 150. I think addon sets only have a MQ of 50.

I really hope you can be convinced. I'm sure there will be a person from germany who would handle all the european orders, happened with other GBs already.

about 30% of buyers are from usa.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 06:58:01 »

BUT, it would be an addon set so people from the US / ANSI-users just don't add it therefor won't have to pay more.
AND, YES - people from the EU would want it, they want ISO! you can read it in nearly every IC for a GMK set, where you can read something like "ISO please" - and not only the brits. I just think you would make this set appealing to more people, which translates to a higher possibility in reaching the 150. I think addon sets only have a MQ of 50.

I really hope you can be convinced. I'm sure there will be a person from germany who would handle all the european orders, happened with other GBs already.

Have any numbers to back that up?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 06:59:02 »

All GMK sets are subject to 150 MOQs, even child kits.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:01:54 »

Being honest here:

Don't mind ISO kit, but Norde and International seem like a lot of extra to me (personally).

OK,
 I guess people interested in ISO-NORDIC will have to speak up here. If no one else than me will express her/his desire, well then of course it should be just fine as it is right now.

that was not the case with a german GMK GB which was just confirmed. an addon kit containing ESC+ENTER+SPACE with a different color than the base set only had an MOQ of 50. see here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:11:40 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:24:20 »
So do you think U9 is too light? Judging by the alpha base color, L9 is the correct color right?
Unfortunately I take terrible pictures, but if you want more, I can try.

It looks to me like the proper combination is BJ + CB (mods and alphas respectively) but the V4 looks too bright anyway.
Honestly, the first replica (with U9 and L9) looks too bright to me.

My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline cmd

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:32:35 »
So do you think U9 is too light? Judging by the alpha base color, L9 is the correct color right?

It looks to me like the proper combination is BJ + CB (mods and alphas respectively) but the V4 looks too bright anyway.

They used CP, no L9. I want to go towards L9. Hmmm BJ is way darker, not really a fan of it. Do you have pictures in natural sunlight or is that hard to capture?

Being honest here:

I agree with you a million times over. I think the ISO kit is enough...I am not a fan of child kits. I want one set. I guess I could look into adding the L9 on V4 ISO enter?

This was my understanding and I have yet to see any MOQ be less than 150.

Where does this statistic come from? Yeah the 30% probably include the Americans that purchase a set that has an ISO kit in it (i.e. do not actually use it)? Am I wrong in this statement?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:38:05 »
The form in the OP seems a little barebones.
For example, if you asked people for their country of residence you would know the percent of potential buyers from the US.
You should probably collect all the things you're considering about the set and put those in a form.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline cmd

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:42:41 »
The form in the OP seems a little barebones.
For example, if you asked people for their country of residence you would know the percent of potential buyers from the US.
You should probably collect all the things you're considering about the set and put those in a form.

I am not looking to add anything else in the set. I've already stated this. But if users want an ISO/Nordic set I will take out the ISO keys out of the main set and create an ISO/Nordic Child Kit. So it will have a completely separate MOQ and be completely separate kit. The form had nothing to do with ISO. It had everything to do with the offering of Win95.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 08:17:47 »
Do you have pictures in natural sunlight or is that hard to capture?
Just taken, the blue caps are V4 from LifeZ's GB.

click to enlarge

Offline PoisonKing

• RIP wallet
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 08:46:47 »
Voted. Looking forward to seeing this in the GB subforum

Offline cmd

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 09:26:00 »
Do you have pictures in natural sunlight or is that hard to capture?
Just taken, the blue caps are V4 from LifeZ's GB.

click to enlarge
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Interesting. I guess the only other way to go about getting the blue is doing a custom color which I am not very fond of haha.

Voted. Looking forward to seeing this in the GB subforum

Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 09:39:01 »
the only other way to go about getting the blue is doing a custom color
Unless you can get a proper render and compare, I'm afraid so.
Anyway I forgot to take a picture of the back of the caps, there's more blue there. I'm not home right now. I'll do that tomorrow.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 10:07:37 »

AND, YES - people from the EU would want it, they want ISO! you can read it in nearly every IC for a GMK set, where you can read something like "ISO please" - and not only the brits. I just think you would make this set appealing to more people, which translates to a higher possibility in reaching the 150. I think addon sets only have a MOQ of 50.

Spiting sets from gmk at parts, very bad idea. Look for example gmk retro on massdrop(this is one of the reasons for his failure, because individually the sets were too expensive), but on the other hand to include all possible additives in the base set, very cruel towards those who do not need these extras, but forced them to overpay.
This is a very difficult question, because of GMK pricing politics.
But for example, I don't need neither the numpad nor the iso nor the 1800 or even a moogle kit or hhkb, i want to pay only for 84 keys, thats i only use

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 10:42:55 »

Being honest here:

OK,
 I guess people interested in ISO-NORDIC will have to speak up here. If no one else than me will express her/his desire, well then of course it should be just fine as it is right now.

that was not the case with a german GMK GB which was just confirmed. an addon kit containing ESC+ENTER+SPACE with a different color than the base set only had an MOQ of 50. see here.

As wodan stated in one of the threads (I will try and find that post again later), this was a ONCE IN A LIFETIME occurrence, since the GMK rep allowed it through without meeting MOQ. This will not happen again, GMK is still standing by their official policy of 150 unit MOQ as far as I'm aware

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:18:44 »

They used CP, no L9. I want to go towards L9. Hmmm BJ is way darker, not really a fan of it. Do you have pictures in natural sunlight or is that hard to capture?

If you're going for as true a replica as possible, I believe the modifiers should be changed to something like 2B or BJ and the alphas kept as L9 or maybe 3K based on Photekq's images of dyesubbed Olivetti (here). Compare to this image of the more classic beige colorway with similar lightning. There is some good discussion to be found on the topic in an old GMK Olivetti IC here

Also, for what it is worth, I'm European and don't care about any ISO compatibility.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:23:17 by Blackhawk »

Offline lordzebu

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:20:58 »
Being honest here:

The thing is, it's not a lot of extra if you look at what wodan came up with. Green ones are essential:

More info on pricing if added to a full gmk kit.

Offline pomk

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:45:28 »
Being honest here:

I don't mind ansi enter, but the rest of ansi specific keys seem like a lot of extra to me.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 16:37:29 »
My OG Olivetti doubleshots. Blue is very dark. compared to OG Cherry beige PBT, the alpha are little darker and grey without the beige tint. The mods are noticeably darker. I never saw a replica that has this kind of blue.

Next to each other the alphas of the Olivetti is not quite but almost as dark as the OG Cherry dyesub modifiers!

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 16:41:30 by orpheo »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 17:20:19 »
My OG Olivetti doubleshots. Blue is very dark. compared to OG Cherry beige PBT, the alpha are little darker and grey without the beige tint. The mods are noticeably darker. I never saw a replica that has this kind of blue.

Next to each other the alphas of the Olivetti is not quite but almost as dark as the OG Cherry dyesub modifiers!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Mmm, I agree that olivetti alphas are grey and not beige. Can't we ask Christoph @ gmk?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 17:39:10 »
Being honest here:

The thing is, it's not a lot of extra if you look at what wodan came up with. Green ones are essential:
Show Image

This is a great small kit that I am sure will hit MOQ.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 18:18:41 »
Being honest here:

Show Image

This is a great small kit that I am sure will hit MOQ.

Definitely not a lot of keys, but still a good chunk.

the challenge here is: find the people who will actually commit and not just "express interest" in having the kit be available.

Having it available and actually making it happen are two different things.

In any case, as I said, do what's best for the group :)
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline cmd

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 20:49:47 »
Current mood be like...

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 05:34:17 »
How much will the stabilizers be? They look great! Classic Keysets always look good too! (:
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 05:36:00 by Unforgivable »

Offline orpheo

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 07:03:29 »
I used a scuadra true colors grey card, lightroom... In pure sunlight. No color saturation added, and final contrast compared with the keys in real sight.
OG dyesub with HADapter kit, they nailed the colors of the mods! It is PBT so zero yellowing.
OG Olivetti, they are doubleshots of course, and doesn't look yellow at all, along with the KBD2812 grey case. Pretty good state.

I can't find correspondance with modern GMK colors.
BJ seems the closest but looks too yellow
T9 looks less yellow than L9 but looks too bright.
Good luck with color matching those OG Olivetti!

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 07:28:17 by orpheo »

Offline cmd

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 20:07:55 »
I used a scuadra true colors grey card, lightroom... In pure sunlight. No color saturation added, and final contrast compared with the keys in real sight.
OG dyesub with HADapter kit, they nailed the colors of the mods! It is PBT so zero yellowing.
OG Olivetti, they are doubleshots of course, and doesn't look yellow at all, along with the KBD2812 grey case. Pretty good state.

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah I am not a fan of BJ at all. I think it is way too dark. I like L9 quite a lot, I think that is probably the best move so that all of the classic beige sets will end up matching.

9009 + Classic Beige both used L9.

I would also need to get a custom color to match the blue in Olivetti. V4 is the closest thing to it.

Your pictures were informative though, you can see a definitive difference in the too sets.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 20:17:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah I am not a fan of BJ at all. I think it is way too dark. I like L9 quite a lot, I think that is probably the best move so that all of the classic beige sets will end up matching.

I would also need to get a custom color to match the blue in Olivetti. V4 is the closest thing to it.

Your pictures were informative though, you can see a definitive difference in the too sets.

+1 for L9. Any chance you may add a row 3 or row 4 \| key and r3 #~ key?

Offline Zackfoo

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 23:25:15 »
This need to drop nowwwwwwwww

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 02:51:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Mmm, I agree that olivetti alphas are grey and not beige. Can't we ask Christoph @ gmk?

Can't we ask gmk if they know something about the colors used in the past?

Surely there's no yellow/ beige tint in the og olivetti....

Offline cmd

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:02:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Any specific reason why? I am honestly asking because I am not sure the purpose of them. Is this ISO?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

GMK told me that V4 is the closest without doing a custom color for it. Ya I don't like the more grey tinted alphas. It feels absolutely no room for the blue to pop out. I want this to have the classic beige colors.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:14:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Any specific reason why? I am honestly asking because I am not sure the purpose of them. Is this ISO?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

GMK told me that V4 is the closest without doing a custom color for it. Ya I don't like the more grey tinted alphas. It feels absolutely no room for the blue to pop out. I want this to have the classic beige colors.

most iso layouts have row 4 <> key; the r3 #~ key is a good choice anyway
look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

as for the grey vs beige... I feel that the grey would have been nicer, but surely that's your choice. It seems filologically difficult to call it Olivetti if you betray the gray color :-)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:25:49 »
Those keys are ISO-UK and they are close to the XT ANSI standard (Last image), but the last is uncommon in contemporary boards. The ISO UK layout is closer to the ANSI US, than the ISO German keys that you included in your set.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:48:14 by ideus »

Offline cmd

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 12:58:59 »
Those keys are ISO-UK and they are close to the XT ANSI standard (Last image), but the last is uncommon in contemporary boards. The ISO UK layout is closer to the ANSI US, than the ISO German keys that you included in your set.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry to get back to 24 hours later. I will see what I can do but is this really necessary or is it like something on top you'd like to see?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:12:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry to get back to 24 hours later. I will see what I can do but is this really necessary or is it like something on top you'd like to see?

No worries. You may reconsider to add the two UK key caps, instead of the two German keys.The UK version of those two keys would be more useful than those included in the render; because, UK layout is more compatible with US ANSI than HAD is, actually HAD only share the alpha keys with US ANSI, while UK shares most of the keys with ANSI, but 6 keys.

For example, One set that it is in the IC stage also, includes all the keys required to cover both, the US and the UK layouts. You may also would like to give it some consideration. In that way the set would be actually useful for UK ISO and US ANSI users. It takes only 6 more keys in addition to what you have already in your set; but, again, it requires the UK legends.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [IC] GMK Olivetti & Screw-in Stabilizers
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:27:04 »
Is the |\ key R1 on purpose?  I use it next to the ISO Enter on R3, but R4 would be fine as well.

From the OP render on 13-Dec-2016

Is there a reason for this?  If not, can it be changed to R3 or R4?

Lovely set, BTW.  I vote for the Windows Me icon (that I won't use on my Linux desktops...)

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IneffableTao

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 15:31:33 »
Is the |\ key R1 on purpose? 

I believe this is for HHKB style layouts (split backspace into 2 1u keys for `~ and \|, and move backspace down to R2 1.5u)

Offline cmd

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 16:32:10 »
Is the |\ key R1 on purpose?  I use it next to the ISO Enter on R3, but R4 would be fine as well.

(Attachment Link)
From the OP render on 13-Dec-2016

Is there a reason for this?  If not, can it be changed to R3 or R4?

Lovely set, BTW.  I vote for the Windows Me icon (that I won't use on my Linux desktops...)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yeah that key is for HHKB layout keyboards like the guy above me stated!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 02:52:54 »
would you be interested in selling also a 1800 addon pack?
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

The cost should be very limited, less than $7.
If I were you, I would do it in olivetti and in classic beige color, since the last beige gb didn't have full compatibility.

Offline cmd

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 08:06:13 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

If I were you, I would do it in olivetti and in classic beige color, since the last beige gb didn't have full compatibility.

According to GMK U9 and L9 are the closest to classic beige color (i.e. I think they are the classic colors).

The keys chosen are pretty close to final. The only thing I am contemplating doing are separating the ISO keys to another kit. I really do not want to do that because I would rather have one set and I think 153 keys is plenty!

Offline cmd

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 09:27:18 »
Updated thread with pricing.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 09:37:09 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Why do you want everyone who buys this to pay 7$ so a few people can get keys they want? I'd rather buy lunch with that 7$. If you want them badly enough you could just buy 150 of those kits from GMK  :thumb:

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 09:39:11 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Why do you want everyone who buys this to pay 7$ so a few people can get keys they want? I'd rather buy lunch with that 7$. If you want them badly enough you could just buy 150 of those kits from GMK  :thumb:

nick pls
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 09:58:13 »
yaaass bby

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:10:48 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Addon pack, it is something that you buy separately from the main pack. If you want it, you pay it, if you don't want it, eat your happy meal and be f̶a̶t̶   happy
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:13:05 by Giorgio »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:12:59 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Addon pack, it is something that you but separately from the main pack. If you want it, you pay it, if you don't want it, eat your happy meal and be f̶a̶t̶
Add on pack wont hit MOQ when like 1 guy wants it

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:13:57 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Addon pack, it is something that you but separately from the main pack. If you want it, you pay it, if you don't want it, eat your happy meal and be f̶a̶t̶

Stay on topic. Stay on topic.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 14:53:33 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Girogio you are very rood. I am reporting right now.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:20:45 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Pls Dale  :confused:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 18:58:04 »
It should contain
2x 1u ctrl
2x 1u alt
2x 1u menu
6u spacebar

Pls Dale  :confused:

Sir, I will report you too.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:17:48 »
I know this is off topic but I would like to see GMK Dolch with Icons modifier(like Ivan Dolch) run together with Olivetti.

I'd definitely join both because this two sets are the best DUO in my opinion.

but, if Olivetti only at this time I gonna join it anyway.