Author Topic: [IC]GMK Dolch (Icon Mod+AddON) PLUS x-CMYW  (Read 37559 times)

Offline soilheart

Re: [IC] GMK DOLCH - AddOn Kits (Update on 20/12)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 03:33:17 »
are you fine with a keycap set without WKL kit aren't you?

if you have a keycap set without WKL kit when you got a WKL keyboard, your whole set is useless.

in terms of ISO users you can adapt, because there's no ISO-Only custom keyboard if I remember correctly.

I feel like this discussion is starting to derail. But seriously, do you understand how US centric your post is?

Here in Sweden and Nordic Europe there's no WKL board to be found for sale, and ANSI keyboards usually cost double the price of the corresponding ISO variant.

Hence I appreciate when ANSI users show some solidarity and pay $5 (for some keys you can sell, I've bought ISO keys from US users for $10+/set a few times), just as standard bottom row users usually are fine with paying for WKL keys.

Based on the feedbacks, added a very basic Dolch Base sets to the IC.

Show Image

Looks awesome, count me in.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 03:40:56 by soilheart »
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 03:52:45 »
i'm not sure but I think the control keys on row 4 in base set should be "ctrl" instead of "control" but I guess this just a temporary mockup.

about ISO issue, it always happen to keyset group buy.

In terms of the GB/IC leaders opinion, they need to make it cheapest for ANSI users as they're the majority users.

GB leaders always tried to reduce everything that majority users didn't need, and ISO keys is one of those thing.

ISO users(Minority ) - Why you guys can't pay a little bit more for us.

ANSI users(Majority) - Why do we have to pay for something that we never use.

if ISO users are 20% of group buy, 120 people have to pay at least $5 for the keys that they never use.

that's how you waste $600 for the useless keycaps.

but when you're talking about Winkeyless kit, everyone have a chance to use it.

everyone have a chance to get a Winkeyless keyboard, might be not now but in the future... no one know.

but there's no way that ANSI users gonna have any chance to use ISO keys.

are you fine with a keycap set without WKL kit aren't you?

if you have a keycap set without WKL kit when you got a WKL keyboard, your whole set is useless.

in terms of ISO users you can adapt, because there's no ISO-Only custom keyboard if I remember correctly.

Well thanks for making this hobby a more friendly and inclusive community for us all (NOT!)

It may be unfathomable to you, but ISO support is non-trivial to many of us. That's not the correct or healthy attitude to have. If you're dying to have Wkl bottom row, Originative still has Dolch WKL add-on on their site, go get it from there. I'd much rather have iso keys.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pomk

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 03:54:48 »
but in the small add-on kits or budget keycap sets every penny that higher meant a lot to how interesting they are.

I just hope you guys understand why they always cut it off.
IMO in budged sets one should remove the least used keys first, no? Based on actual numbers, instead of your opinions, one can argue that WKL is used less than ISO. So if ISO is to be removed, then WKL should be long gone as well. Even if WKL and ISO would have about the same popularity, ISO is cheaper to add than WKL and should thus be introduced first, no?

Anyway, sorry for derailing this topic. I just don't like when people talk about numbers and percentages and mix them with personal beliefs.

p.s. inclusion > seclusion

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 05:58:00 »

Well thanks for making this hobby a more friendly and inclusive community for us all (NOT!)

It may be unfathomable to you, but ISO support is non-trivial to many of us. That's not the correct or healthy attitude to have. If you're dying to have Wkl bottom row, Originative still has Dolch WKL add-on on their site, go get it from there. I'd much rather have iso keys.

It non-trivial to me either  if it was a complete keycap set, but when It became a separate kits as you see in this thread. ISO kit should be a separate kit like other kits as well.
why they always force ANSI users to pay for them. and you can see it on every massdrop group buys, they always separate it when the group buy became a separate-style.

I feel like this discussion is starting to derail. But seriously, do you understand how US centric your post is?

Here in Sweden and Nordic Europe there's no WKL board to be found for sale, and ANSI keyboards usually cost double the price of the corresponding ISO variant.

Hence I appreciate when ANSI users show some solidarity and pay $5 (for some keys you can sell, I've bought ISO keys from US users for $10+/set a few times), just as standard bottom row users usually are fine with paying for WKL keys.

should we make it to cover Japanese layout as well?

or it should be a separate add-on kit?

how do you think?

Here in Japanese there's no ISO or ANSI needed, we need you to make it cover to Japanese layout as well, thank you.

p.s. I'm not a Japanese I'm kidding

Offline pomk

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 06:18:54 »
The kit only needs a 1U backspace to support JIS layout as well as any GMK set can without new spacebar molds. Good suggestion!  ;)

If you wish to separate ISO, you should also separate WKL and possibly some other keys as well. With the MOQ and setup costs, the kit price would be higher by ridiculous amounts than when it's included in a larger kit. You buying base + WKL would cost more than a combined set of WKL + ISO + base. Also the WKL would not tip anyway.  :))

One great idea would be to separate ANSI as well, so that we don't need to buy that many useless keys. That way no one would have to pay for keys they don't use, and everyone would pay more to GMK.  :thumb:

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 06:38:05 »

no need to separate WKL kit, I would grab from originative instead.

well, sound like i'm cheating  :rolleyes:

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Re: [IC] GMK DOLCH - AddOn Kits (Update on 19/12)
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 09:06:16 »
Thanks for all the input. :)

I have made some quick adjustment to the Base and the Add On Kits, I hope this will cover most of the popular key caps set by now. :p

What''s your guys opinion on the 1.75u Shift and 1u FN in the Add On Kits, IMO maybe there are some demands on it if their Dolch is harvest from OLD Dolch key caps and wanted a new one, but if those who bought Ivan's or maybe this ICON Dolch, it will be redundant.

Yes, thanks for adding 75% support! I'm in for 2 or even 3 sets!

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 09:13:51 »
75% support plus potentially a full base kit?? Now I'm definitely in!

Offline kekkon

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 23:07:43 »
I think the sets are pretty much sums up at this point, and I will start getting quote from GMK now.

For those who are interested, please fill in this IC form to let us know what chance does this sets have. :p

https://goo.gl/forms/wkn9KL9AKmTZcVRi2

*Please note that those prices are just an early estimation by me...might be cheaper or expensive.  :-X
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 23:11:47 by kekkon »

Offline dsaf

Re: [IC] GMK DOLCH - AddOn Kits (Update on 21/12)
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:14:17 »
What are the colours? Same as here http://keypuller.com/gmk-dolch-replica ?

Would be nice (for me):

1) ISO UK

and/or

2) Dark gray flex kit for F1-F12

Mostly to mix with a Stormtrooper set. I wish it was known whether there is going to be a full proper Dolch coming next year from anyone...

PS: the thread should probably be renamed now as it has some sort of a base kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 07:16:06 by dsaf »

Offline kekkon

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:36:36 »
What are the colours? Same as here http://keypuller.com/gmk-dolch-replica ?

Would be nice (for me):

1) ISO UK

and/or

2) Dark gray flex kit for F1-F12

Mostly to mix with a Stormtrooper set. I wish it was known whether there is going to be a full proper Dolch coming next year from anyone...

PS: the thread should probably be renamed now as it has some sort of a base kit.

Yeap, the color used are N9,CC & CP.

Will change the name accordingly.  ;D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:43:46 »
Question: the Dolch base kit you added as already "4 WIN key with ICON on it", then what icons are actually on the R4 of your proposed Addon kit?
Those 4-diamond shaped icons seem to be newly invented to me.

If those are not meant to be Windows icons, there are more traditional icons and text you can consider, such as:
'Super', 'Hyper', 'Meta', 'Alt Gr'
And the meta key icons (from Sun keyboard and Apple keyboard)

Also, there is one more detail to consider: there is the shortage of GMK keyset with a real R5 profile in recent years. R5 key profiles are for the modifiers at the space bar row (but not for the space bar itself). Most sets have only R4-R4 setting at their 2 lowest rows. Two examples that have R5 keys are the GMK WoB at Originative and GMK Triumph Adler.

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:45:49 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline kekkon

Re: [IC]GMK Dolch (Icon Mod+AddON) PLUS x-CMYW
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:47:49 »
I think is also good that I throw in an idea of mine during the Dolch Reborn GB phase, x-CMYW.

The winkey colors are yet to determine yet, what color you think that will fill in blank?  :p

I am currently thinking on RO2(A new bright red from GMK) and DY (Purple)

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:54:30 by kekkon »

Offline kekkon

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:51:10 »

Those diamond are meant for windows key, which I think it is more lovely than those using by most recently.  :))

I am not fans of R5 profile myself.  :-X

Offline menuhin

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:58:03 »
I think is also good that I throw in an idea of mine during the Dolch Reborn GB phase, x-CMYW.

The winkey colors are yet to determine yet, what color you think that will fill in blank?  :p

Show Image

Now I see. That is your own new windows-key design. Throwing out new ideas is always good. I am just a bit conservative towards a more old-practice-inclined set like Dolch. For things like Deep-space set, I am pretty much open to most of the new ideas.

As a reference, the latest GMK Windows-key design matches Windows 10's logo.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 09:30:46 »
I think the sets are pretty much sums up at this point, and I will start getting quote from GMK now.

For those who are interested, please fill in this IC form to let us know what chance does this sets have. :p

https://goo.gl/forms/wkn9KL9AKmTZcVRi2

*Please note that those prices are just an early estimation by me...might be cheaper or expensive.  :-X

Thank you for this! I've been wanting a Dolch set for a while now!

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 10:06:11 »
Has this full on escalated from an add on kit to a full set and add on kits? I approve. I do think windows keys would be good to have in addition (?) to the diamonds, can be I'm add on kit or whatever but I know some people would throw a bigger fit due to their absence than I.

Offline YH YOON

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 06:57:08 »
I'M IN!!!!

Offline Jumie

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:41:16 »
+1

Offline kekkon

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:56:23 »
The reason why I am using the new diamond on the Dolch AddON as Winkey is because I thought it will be more widely accept than win8, but if everyone can accept win8 I will definitely change it to the win8 ICON.  :p

Offline menuhin

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 08:32:04 »
The reason why I am using the new diamond on the Dolch AddON as Winkey is because I thought it will be more widely accept than win8, but if everyone can accept win8 I will definitely change it to the win8 ICON.  :p

I respect your new Add-on graphic work, salut Kekkon!
However, it is difficult to say or judge if a newly invented novelty icon will be "widely accepted".

On the other hand, I have to say I like the Windows 10 icon design adopted in the recent GMK keysets, such as the GMK Hyperfuse set, and the GMK Skeletor set that I posted above. It is a neat design with a minimalistic and modern look. And I don't need any introduction to understand that is the Windows key.
Instead, I do appreciate a few extra key caps for the Meta keys, like those in older Unix keyboards in SUN or Apple computers.

Attached herewith are also some older Cherry Windows key designs for your reference.
More

More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 08:46:00 »
The reason why I am using the new diamond on the Dolch AddON as Winkey is because I thought it will be more widely accept than win8
I personally like the style of both Win 8/10 and the diamond you're proposing. Furthermore Win95/98 logos are usually pad printed.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline sungwon

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 03:43:35 »
good :) I love dolch. yey
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 03:45:18 by sungwon »

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 22:00:36 »
i prefer to X-CMWY and look forward to this Mod
i know that all the pure colors for RGB and CMY are here now and complete, it is pretty challenging to choose another pure color to stand out in this Mod
first , V2 and BR1 even P3 are good choices, however the DY1 is much better in this mock up. My worry for DY1 is that this color has emerged in many Mod such as Purple Mod.
Any how , you have enough time to choose a much better color for winkey besides RO1. waiting for you progress ,Merry christmas.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 16:49:57 »

On ISO compatibility:

There are many options to give ISO compatibilty to an ANSI US set. The XT layout is the easiest and cheapest one. It only requires four keys on top of the ANSI US layout:

ItemProfileLegendSize
1C-DEnterISO
2C`~1
3B\|1
4BShift1.25

This layout is not new, nor something just made up, it was extensively used in the eighties in keyboards for most XT IBM compatible computers. It allows the use of an ISO Enter in ANSI US layouts with no redundant legends. This is a very effective and cost efficient way to offer basic ISO compatibility to an ANSI US based set.

The second less demanding ISO compatibility option for an US set is implementing an UK layout. This requires five extra keys, over the XT layout:

ItemProfileLegendSize
1E` ¬1
2E2 "1
3E3 £1
4C' @1
5C# ~1

Any other ISO based Language requires many more extra keys. This may be better acomplished with an International set.

The two ISO alpha keys that you included in this base set, along with the ISO modifiers, belong to the German ISO layout. They have redundant legends with the US standard. The XT keys that I suggest may be a better fit for that small ISO compatibility pack. The German ISO requires more than twenty extra keys, so including a couple of them does not accomplish it. I really do not understand why some recent GMK sets have included them. They may only serve as placeholders.

An example of the XT layout.

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 December 2016, 16:59:50 by ideus »

Offline dsaf

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 08:25:47 »
The second less demanding ISO compatibility option for an US set is implementing an UK layout.

Good option!

Offline kekkon

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 19:43:26 »
Hi everyone, just back from a long holiday. I will post an update after I wrap the feed backs.  :thumb:

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:07:05 »
Hi everyone, just back from a long holiday. I will post an update after I wrap the feed backs.  :thumb:

Yes!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:28:43 »
YES PLZ

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 19:02:25 »
Will probably get in on this if it gets into GB phase
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline darkslay3r

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:11:28 »

let's arrange some groupbuy !!
Viper V2 | TGR 910 CE | TGR 910 Poly R1 | RF 55g

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 17:46:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Love the colours aside from the dark brown and dark red windows keys in the top render. The mock-up below with the bright red and purple = must buy. Awesome colours, please make this =]

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 00:59:28 »

The winkey colors are yet to determine yet, what color you think that will fill in blank? 

Show Image

Show Image

Love the colours aside from the dark brown and dark red windows keys in the top render. The mock-up below with the bright red and purple = must buy. Awesome colours, please make this =]
Yes, i am not too fond of the dark red and brown either. Would probably end up not being used.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 09:54:14 »

The winkey colors are yet to determine yet, what color you think that will fill in blank? 

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, i am not too fond of the dark red and brown either. Would probably end up not being used.
x3
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 15:45:20 »
Long time no post for me; I originally came for a Dolch set, ended up with red and white (living it up at work), green and white, the commodore set (whose name I forget but which has graced my daily home driver ever since, I love it) and a Clack.

Carried away I didn't get the Dolch! Need the set with ISO (apologies to the thread debaters on this). So am in.

Oooh..there's another thread..Honeywell...pretty. Oh dear. Here we go.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 19:09:09 »
Long time no post for me; I originally came for a Dolch set, ended up with red and white (living it up at work), green and white, the commodore set (whose name I forget but which has graced my daily home driver ever since, I love it) and a Clack.

Carried away I didn't get the Dolch! Need the set with ISO (apologies to the thread debaters on this). So am in.

If you need the ISO, why don't you join the ongoing German GB mentioned on DT?
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 23:46:20 »

That's QWERTz, they could have added a correct z and y
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 02:08:41 by Giorgio »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 02:49:36 »

That's QWERTz, they could have added a correct z and y

Right, they don't sell the "reverse international kit".
But if it's just 2 keys for you, it's easier. Perhaps better than waiting for another year with GB risk.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline kekkon

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 02:57:51 »
The Final version of the mockup will be as below.

As suggested by Ideus, I have change the ISO to IBM XT Type..I am not really familiar with ISO, if you guys still have any suggestion, feel free to comment below.

1. The Dolch will be using ICON Mod.
2. Dolch Base will be using win8 Icon, while the Dolch AddOn will be using diamond icon.
3. A color pack has been added.
4. x-CMYW will be using new bright Red and purple with win8 and diamond legend respectively.

Dolch Base

Dolch AddON

Dolch Color Kits

x-CMYW

Using the Color kits, if you have Sky Dolch/Dolch Reborn Cyan Mod + 9009/Classic Beige, you can get something like:-

:p

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 03:40:23 »
The Final version of the mockup will be as below.

As suggested by Ideus, I have change the ISO to IBM XT Type..I am not really familiar with ISO, if you guys still have any suggestion, feel free to comment below.

1. The Dolch will be using ICON Mod.
2. Dolch Base will be using win8 Icon, while the Dolch AddOn will be using diamond icon.
3. A color pack has been added.
4. x-CMYW will be using new bright Red and purple with win8 and diamond legend respectively.

Dolch Base
Show Image

Dolch AddON
Show Image

Dolch Color Kits
Show Image

x-CMYW
Show Image

Using the Color kits, if you have Sky Dolch/Dolch Reborn Cyan Mod + 9009/Classic Beige, you can get something like:-
Show Image

:p
Does your dolchi use the same color code as other dolchi? Your title says GMK, but it looks like taihao to me.  :rolleyes:

Offline kekkon

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 04:00:08 »
Does your dolchi use the same color code as other dolchi? Your title says GMK, but it looks like taihao to me.  :rolleyes:

Yeap~it is actually a copy of Taihao version rebranded to GMK.  :cool:

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 04:06:19 »
Now I see why the color looks more like the Tai Hao than the other GMK Dolchi. Thank you for the explanation. I will ask my friends to join too when the GB is ready

Offline Jumie

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 05:45:30 »
in for all kits.. cmon Kekkon, start the GB already.. and don't forget discount code for previous 9009 buyer will you?  :p

Offline menuhin

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 07:02:02 »

Am I hearing it clearly..?
So it is not in the traditional classic Dolch colorway, and instead it is a copy of TaiHao's design??
 :eek:

Please, please make it a classic GMK Dolch Groupbuy!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 07:06:58 by menuhin »
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline sungwon

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 07:49:59 »

So it is not in the traditional classic Dolch colorway, and instead it is a copy of TaiHao's design??

I think its just kidding
Base color would be N9 CC

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 08:29:22 »

I think its just kidding
I am a little confused now. Is this like a typical or taihao?

Offline sungwon

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 08:49:46 »

I think its just kidding

typical

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 08:54:23 »

I think its just kidding

typical
i see. i might not be joining then. 

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 09:35:08 »

I think its just kidding

typical
i see. i might not be joining then.

So, you're not joining because this is the traditional dolch, instead of the taihao dolch???? what???

Offline kekkon

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 10:11:32 »
Ok, just to clariy...This set will be using traditional N9, CC like most of the GMK GB.  :))