Author Topic: [IC] Project WoodWalker  (Read 2693 times)

Offline d.walkr3

[IC] Project WoodWalker
« on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 06:53:48 »
EDIT: See original project post here-- https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86167.msg2313723#msg2313723

UPDATE: I've spoken to a few people and drafted some designs, and I bring good news for project WoodWalker   ;D. I have full access to a CNC machine, laser etcher, and 3d scanner+printer. I, nor the expert I spoke to, do not expect to run into any problems with wood shrinkage/expansion from moisture levels. I'll be able to mill within 1/1000" and, in addition to the plate's small dimensions, I plan to use kiln-dried, tightly-grained lumber and apply sealant to the plate to further protect against any dimensional variance. For those wondering about the design of the case, it will arrive in 3 parts: Top, plate, and bottom. The plate will be milled+laser etched, and l will be doing everything else by hand.

Regarding the projects' progress, I plan to start production in about 2 WEEKS, as soon as I am able to produce a proto-type. Unfortunately I will be out of town for a week starting Thursday, or I'd be able to start earlier. Right now, I'm meeting with my partner and finalizing specifics. see below for tentative options to expect for the case:

- Selection of premium exotic woods for front and back lengthwise rails, widthwise side rails, and bottom.  - price will vary depending on selections

- Custom-felted bottom (and lower interior?)  - $25 w/choice of color

- Custom wooden feet with your selection of wood (permanent feet)  - $10 ($20 for felt-tipped)

- USB cut-out  - $10

- Finish  - ($10-$30 depending on wood requirements)

- "WoodWalker" hand-burnt into case (free)

Expect the case to total somewhere between $200-375 (subject to change) depending on selection of wood/options. Also expect images of the design profiles of the case later today. Please bear in mind the case will have a slightly larger footprint than stock.

Due to the personalization of the WoodWalker, and the time constraints I'm dealing with, this first round of production will be extremely limited. I plan on grinding out 12-16 hour days to produce as many cases as possible, but I'd much rather produce half as many with twice the quality. *IMPORTANT* Obviously, the time-frame is very short between the buying period and the period you guys have to view the proto-type. In effort to speed up the transition, and so I can gauge interest please sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/xzAaRb0B5pF5C2pG2. Please be sure to say if your username is from Geekhack or Reddit.

Let's get this thing done.

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 10:15:31 by d.walkr3 »

Offline Data

Re: [IC] Project WoodWalker
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 08:35:39 »
You didn't mention it, but... for the record, should we assume this is for 60% PCBs?

Offline d.walkr3

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 10:13:50 »
You didn't mention it, but... for the record, should we assume this is for 60% PCBs?

Sorry for this, please see the original project post, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86167.msg2314070#msg2314070. I'll be making a wood case for HHKB topre keyboards! the internals from the existing kb will be transferred into the wooden case
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 10:29:55 by d.walkr3 »

Offline doooostin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 00:04:56 »
Interested, but at that price point I'll have to pass.

Offline arcsay

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:02:59 »
any update on the project start?