Author Topic: [IC] DSA Mograph - Kit Renders & Massdrop Poll!  (Read 14292 times)

Offline imprevade

[IC] DSA Mograph - Kit Renders & Massdrop Poll!
« on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:10:37 »
Massdrop Poll — Please vote for your favorite kits!

MOGRAPH CLASSIC

158874-0

MOGRAPH MODERN

158876-1

Additional renders;
More

158834-2

158869-3

Kits;
More

158978-4

158980-5

158982-6

159002-7

158986-8

158988-9

158990-10

158992-11

158994-12

159000-13

BACKGROUND

I use After Effects every day, and I still forget about some very useful hotkeys that exist. I designed DSA Mograph to help anyone who uses After Effects speed up their workflow and become a more efficient animator, editor, youtuber, or whatever it is you do! Even if you're someone who knows the hotkeys like the back of your hand, this set can be a great conversation starter and way to show off that you've got the skills to pay the bills.

DESIGN

I've worked very hard to narrow down the list of hotkeys for this set to what I feel is most often forgotten, but extremely useful. Not all commands have visual representation in the program, so I've developed quite a few original icons to help you crush those keyframes. I've also decided to keep the layout much cleaner by eliminating anything that requires a sequence of keys. (Such as CTRL+S for save.) I thought of creating a color code for some of the more advanced shortcuts that I find useful, but believe me—when you start adding tons of colors to the keys and legends, it doesn't look good. Besides, this set is meant to be more of an introduction to hotkeys, not a one stop shop for learning them all.

MOGRAPH CLASSIC: Much like the classic versions of After Effects, this throwback uses tones of grey to give you that old school feel. A splash of RDA purple references the iconic and longstanding logo.

MOGRAPH MODERN: Modern animators will know this one well. The dark user interface. The bright blue keyframes. Bold hotkeys that say, "I'm a modern man/woman."

The flat top DSA profile allows the hotkey legends to be configured to your liking. Move them anywhere they fit on your keyboard. The hotkey legends will be offered as a standalone kit, so you wouldn’t absolutely need to purchase the entire keyset to reap the rewards of hotkeys. DSA Mograph looks great with any DSA keyset.

In the future, I plan to design other sets for programs like Maya, Cinema 4D, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. I believe these colorways will prove to be universal, and allow you to expand your hotkeys to other programs when the time comes.

SPECS
  • Designed by imprevade
  • Manufactured by Signature Plastics in the United States
  • MX compatible (Cherry, Gateron, Kailh and Novatouch Sliders)
  • DSA Profile
  • Doubleshot legends
  • Semi-Matte finish
  • ABS GTQ, GTA, GTL, BFP, and RDA

TO DO LIST:
  • Create kits
  • Get a quote from SP
  • Find GB partner
  • Profit
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:06:01 by imprevade »

Offline imprevade

Re: [IC] SA Mograph - The keyset for animators!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:11:06 »
(reserved for future updates)
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2017, 00:13:05 by imprevade »

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:47:18 »
Looks ok. I think the colors are almost the same as Hydro, but that's besides the point. I would recommend putting together renders with just the normal layout, as many people who would want it may not want to have all the macro keys on their keys. Another reservation that I have is that it looks to be a bit all over the place, though that is how the AE hotkeys are. It also may cost a lot to have all of those custom keys. The final thing I have to say is that whatever you do, don't run this in SA. SA is backlogged ~1 years right now. Maybe check out another profile.

I hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, I just want to be real with you. Good luck with everything, it just isn't for me!
ortho or shmortho

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:49:35 »
Nice, cool to see more designers here! The main thing I'd be worried about is the cost for tooling that comes w/ custom legends. I know it can be quite substantial if you're doing as many keys as this.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 08:02:51 »
I would recommend putting together renders with just the normal layout, as many people who would want it may not want to have all the macro keys on their keys. Another reservation that I have is that it looks to be a bit all over the place, though that is how the AE hotkeys are. It also may cost a lot to have all of those custom keys. The final thing I have to say is that whatever you do, don't run this in SA. SA is backlogged ~1 years right now. Maybe check out another profile.

I don't think a backlog in production is any reason to stop designing SA sets for the future. However, for other reasons, I'm already considering DSA. There will be many more renders, this is just the beginning.

Nice, cool to see more designers here! The main thing I'd be worried about is the cost for tooling that comes w/ custom legends. I know it can be quite substantial if you're doing as many keys as this.

You're right. I've heard that each custom legend has a $50 set up fee. With 20-30 custom legends, you're looking at the total cost being $1000-1500 higher. But if 100 people bought the set, that's only raising each individuals cost $10-15. The problem is even if I run DSA instead, I think they'll have to be doubleshot. I don't know that dye-sublimation has the same range of colors. However, I might change this to DSA anyways, since some people might want to change the location of their hotkeys to different rows. This would also allow you to "clean up" the layout by placing all the hotkeys on one row.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 11:37:59 »
I like it! And I agree that a full SA pipeline shouldn't mean a halt of designs as well. Some sets just have to be SA, if that is the case for this set too is for imprevade to decide, but looks like he already made that decision.

Will the 'regular' alphas set keep the dark keys? Or will those be all white? Would be losing a lot of it's charm if it did I think.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 11:44:41 »
You can count me in. Even if it's SA.  :eek:

Anything black, blue, and white and I'm in. Hence why I'm gaga for Hydro.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 12:06:04 »
You're right. I've heard that each custom legend has a $50 set up fee.

I think it may be up to $75 now.

The problem is even if I run DSA instead, I think they'll have to be doubleshot. I don't know that dye-sublimation has the same range of colors.

There is virtually no limit to dye-sub colors. The problem is that dyesub uses a pigment that is being infused into plastic, so it is a subtractive process and you can't achieve light colored legends on dark keycaps. Your bright-blue-on-dark-gray keycaps would never work with SP's dye-sub process.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 12:42:13 »
You're right. I've heard that each custom legend has a $50 set up fee.

I think it may be up to $75 now.

Good to know, and not surprising. I'm sure SP would like to push more people to dye-sub, as it's much easier to produce.

The problem is even if I run DSA instead, I think they'll have to be doubleshot. I don't know that dye-sublimation has the same range of colors.

There is virtually no limit to dye-sub colors. The problem is that dyesub uses a pigment that is being infused into plastic, so it is a subtractive process and you can't achieve light colored legends on dark keycaps. Your bright-blue-on-dark-gray keycaps would never work with SP's dye-sub process.

I was actually looking to your set for research on dye-sub. I noticed that the colors, even on white, seem to have a very flat look to them. Thanks for clearing this up and confirming what I suspected!

I like it! And I agree that a full SA pipeline shouldn't mean a halt of designs as well. Some sets just have to be SA, if that is the case for this set too is for imprevade to decide, but looks like he already made that decision.

Will the 'regular' alphas set keep the dark keys? Or will those be all white? Would be losing a lot of it's charm if it did I think.

Thanks for the support Oblotzky! I think that the base alphas will be offered in all white. The idea is that the hotkeys are heavily contrasted against the alphas, so that you can easily locate them. However, I may decide to offer two base alpha kits for those who don't like the contrasted layout. The alternate base alpha would likely be the dark grey with either white or blue alphas.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 12:49:15 »
IMO, since this is designed for people who utilize hotkeys, this set should be in DSA, for uniformity.

That way people can place the keys wherever they like. I for example, don't use default hotkeys, they're all clustered in one area.

An alternative would be SA Row 3.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the colors. I'm curious to see what an AE palette would look like, (Purple, light purple)?

A cool novelty could be the Ae from the logo (though I'm sure theres some legal issues with that).

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:05:12 »
The colors and setup in the render are perfect to me, so please don't change!  :p
I'd be interested to see how it looks in DSA or all r3 SA, though.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:13:58 »
IMO, since this is designed for people who utilize hotkeys, this set should be in DSA, for uniformity. That way people can place the keys wherever they like. I for example, don't use default hotkeys, they're all clustered in one area.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I'm going to look into transitioning to DSA.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the colors. I'm curious to see what an AE palette would look like, (Purple, light purple)?

Unfortunately, the selection of purple ABS colors from SP is too small. Many of my early renders were actually Ae colorways, but I just couldn't find content with them. The selection of purple PBT is even worse. I'm not 100% set on color yet, but I'm fairly confident I won't be using purple.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 13:33:39 »
Could I suggest using a grey ish primary color, and using purple as an accent? If you decide to stick with SP

ROA + GB + GD + WA? (I'm basing blacks and grey from Ae's ui)

There has to be a way! An AE set without purple doesn't feel right :X.

Alternatively, you could go the dyesub route. That'll get you a much larger range of colors.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 14:39:37 »
There has to be a way! An AE set without purple doesn't feel right :X.

I actually have an idea that I haven't tried yet. Let me work on getting these DSA keycaps modeled and textured—and then I'll take another look at color.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 14:44:14 »
That's one fine looking M65-A. I may be interested depending on the price.  :thumb:
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 19:43:43 »
I like the idea but not my cup of tea (not do I use AE) so I won't be joining. Regardles, I'd definitely recommend doing this in DSA or SA row 3.since hotkeys are frequently moved to personal preference, this would allow users to customize this set to their own  layout.

Offline imprevade

Re: [IC] DSA Mograph - New Purple DSA Render!
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 02:09:27 »
After taking into consideration all the feedback I've gotten thus far, I have decided to change this to DSA profile, and offer a more unique colorway. Enjoy!

Offline poolside

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 06:32:53 »
Another delicious purple set. Not an After Effects user, but I would not mind all those fancy legends on my board.  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 08:20:41 »
Do you have a pic of the previous render?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:03:26 »
Now we're talking. Purple and DSA, we in there.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:15:46 »
Can you make a render with GC/GD or so as gray for the shortcut keys? I liked how they stood out in the old SA render.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 18:19:09 »
Another delicious purple set. Not an After Effects user, but I would not mind all those fancy legends on my board.  :thumb:

Hopefully I can count on you to buy a set!

Now we're talking. Purple and DSA, we in there.

Thanks man, nice to see you here!

Do you have a pic of the previous render?

I do, and I've made a "MORE" button with outdated info and renders. Enjoy!

Can you make a render with GC/GD or so as gray for the shortcut keys? I liked how they stood out in the old SA render.

I'm going to explore darker grey shortcuts with blue legends, and possibly bring back blue modifiers as an alternative option. I want to make this set accessible to everyone—including those who aren't into the purple colorway. Hopefully I can achieve this while keeping the cost reasonable. I do want to settle on colors before moving on to solidifying what kits will be offered—so expect an update on color soon.

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 01:12:53 »
Dammit Imprevade, you know how much I love purple, and how broke I am. :thumb:

Offline imprevade

Re: [IC] DSA Mograph - Kit Renders & Massdrop Poll!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:06:54 »
Thanks everyone for all the support. Please feel free to give feedback on kit options, and vote on
Massdrop so we can make this a reality!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:18:00 »
Looking good, you'll want to consider 7u bottom row for the specialty kits though, quite a few layouts use those (1.5, 1, 1.5, 7, 1.5, 1, 1.5)

Offline imprevade

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:37:58 »
Looking good, you'll want to consider 7u bottom row for the specialty kits though, quite a few layouts use those (1.5, 1, 1.5, 7, 1.5, 1, 1.5)

Good idea. I'll add those to the specialty kits. I knew I could count on you for this kind of feedback. Thanks a lot man!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:51:29 »
OOH!!! Are you adding the blue back? Two different kits? Count me interested--again!

Offline imprevade

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 13:46:46 »
OOH!!! Are you adding the blue back? Two different kits? Count me interested--again!

Yes! If all goes well, both kits should be available. I believe this will be an entry into mechanical keyboards for many people who buy this, and I'm not sure the average person is ready for purple keys, especially in the workplace. I might be able to cut costs with dye-sub on the blue mods and white alphas with the dark grey text. Meaning the "classic" kits will be a little more pricey, as they require doubleshot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2017, 14:03:39 by imprevade »

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 05:02:59 »
Really Cool!  :thumb:

A good idea also mentioned, is not running it in a SP profile. The queue is very long (too long) an custom legends is expensive.

I know the world awaits the XDA profile promises :) They are looking good and with a lot of possibilities of making extra kits cheaper.
You could even extend the set with more layouts, Adobe family, international support etc. :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 05:10:19 by pon10 »

Offline imprevade

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:25:25 »

A good idea also mentioned, is not running it in a SP profile. The queue is very long (too long) an custom legends is expensive.

I know the world awaits the XDA profile promises :) They are looking good and with a lot of possibilities of making extra kits cheaper.
You could even extend the set with more layouts, Adobe family, international support etc. :)

The comments about the profile were actually based on the SA profile and not "SP profile." The queue for DSA isn't related to the queue for SA molds. The turn around for DSA is still 5-10 weeks. As far as XDA goes, right now it only being produced in dye-sub from what I can tell, and that doesn't work for this set as blue cant be dyed onto black, white can't be dyed onto purple, etc. I would love for the set to be cheaper, but I haven't even gotten the quotes yet. Too many people are concerned with the cost of custom legends, but adding $1500 to the total cost of a group by is negligible with 50 or more people in it.

Offline pon10

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:05:22 »

The turn around for DSA is still 5-10 weeks.

sry for the confusion, super cool!

Offline imprevade

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:20:55 »

Thanks man! No need to apologize, we're all friends here!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:25:45 »
I think the purple-gray version is better because of the lower contrast between the different alpha types.  The blue-gray version looks very busy with light alphas mixed with dark gray alphas.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline imprevade

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:53:21 »
I think the purple-gray version is better because of the lower contrast between the different alpha types.  The blue-gray version looks very busy with light alphas mixed with dark gray alphas.

Thanks a lot for your input man. I really appreciate it. I plan to offer both options, but the purple has really grown on me too! Be sure to add a vote for 'Mograph Classic' on the Massdrop poll!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:54:50 »

You're wrong.

Offline pon10

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 22:13:35 »

Thanks man! No need to apologize, we're all friends here!

A little late yesterday :) i just stumbled over your beautiful set an thought "this can be a worthy endgame key-set to the adobe shortcut idea."
I don't know what color options are possible with the with the dye-sub. If it isn't the right color, is not the right endgame adobe set. :) There have just been a lot about SP. They seem very busy and are pushing all of there productions from what i have read. With the XDA buys there have been, there haven't been a MOQ, with makes is super awesome to be able to make kits come alive! thus said i just saw a possibility to get a PS scheme on my board. (that's in the caliber of this set) that's my department. been waiting since ps9  :))

Will follow up on your set with whatever happens, it look stunning! The KB too! WOW 

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 February 2017, 03:44:22 by pon10 »

Offline imprevade

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 11:02:27 »

This is always an option;

159670-0

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 23:44:55 »
I love this idea very much. putting the shortcut cheat sheet on keycaps is convinient for users and looks cool.
But, I really suggest the color of shortcut keys should be the same with other alpha keys.

I use PS and AI a lot of time, as a artistic worker,I am concerned about the appearance of the color mix of keycaps on my keyboard.
If these are too much color on a keyboard, they will distract my attention and seem like some grab-bag keyscaps put on a keyboard randomly.(sorry for my straightforward words), or just look like some colorfull shortcut cheat **** stickers on the keys, less professional and  don‘t reflect the beauty of spherical keycap.

DSA profile is convinient to put any keys anywhere you need. but , personnaly, I prefer full sulptured SA profile more, they seem match RAMA65 more.  :p

Offline imprevade

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:49:04 »
I love this idea very much. putting the shortcut cheat sheet on keycaps is convinient for users and looks cool.
But, I really suggest the color of shortcut keys should be the same with other alpha keys.

I use PS and AI a lot of time, as a artistic worker,I am concerned about the appearance of the color mix of keycaps on my keyboard.
If these are too much color on a keyboard, they will distract my attention and seem like some grab-bag keyscaps put on a keyboard randomly.(sorry for my straightforward words), or just look like some colorfull shortcut cheat **** stickers on the keys, less professional and  don‘t reflect the beauty of spherical keycap.

DSA profile is convinient to put any keys anywhere you need. but , personnaly, I prefer full sulptured SA profile more, they seem match RAMA65 more.  :p

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm very happy with the design at this point, and I'm not planning on changing the colorways. Frankly, I think you're missing the point of this keyset. It's not designed to blend in, it's designed to stand out—for a multitude of reasons. And when the alternative is this;

160056-0

it's hard to compare the color to "grab-bag keyscaps."

By the way, "artistic worker" isn't a professional title, and you should really look into spell check.

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 14:02:35 »
I guess I never forget my AE shortcuts, however count me in.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 11:32:43 »
I may have to build a special board for when I'm doing serious video editing so I can drop this set on it. I'm certainly interested in the purple over the blue (seems like there are a ton of sets that are blue-centric).
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:21:16 »
Oh and I would love an ortholinear mod kit