Author Topic: [IC] Dolphin and Kokkiri  (Read 58585 times)

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
Re: [IC] Dolphin and Kokkiri
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 01:40:33 »
This is the custom tkl that I've been waiting to call my very first Korean Custom. Please tell me that ISO will be supported?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 03:44:52 »
I saw one with an Orion PCB. Will this one come with that PCB again? I really hope so, I love 32u4 based PCBs for the lower latency.

Offline pomk

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:05:35 »
I saw one with an Orion PCB. Will this one come with that PCB again? I really hope so, I love 32u4 based PCBs for the lower latency.
Lower latency compared to what? I'd be very interested to see latency measurements of different custom and retail PCBs.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:35:33 »
Lower latency compared to what? I'd be very interested to see latency measurements of different custom and retail PCBs.

Here we go again... I can't reliably measure latency, but I'm 100% sure that in some cases the 32A based boards can have slightly higher latency than 32u2/32u4 based ones. This is very possibly because of the native USB support of the 32u2 and 32u4 compared to the V-USB implementation the 32a requires. I've generally had less latency on Leeku L3 boards compared to the ps2avrGB based VE.A, but even the L3's can be slightly slower than Duck's 32u(2/4) based solutions.
I play rhythm games in my free time, and since these have very tight timing windows the 20+ms of the ps2avrGB based VE.A are very noticeable, the L3 based TX87 PCB with the newest firmware (the older one with the RGB bug was noticeably worse) are very close to the performance of my Duck and my TK78 which both use a 32u4(which was exactly the same as the performance of my old Quickfire TK), but I think it still is a few ms behind but nowhere close to the VE.A. If you believe me or not is your thing at the end, maybe my brain is just screwing with me on the TX87 PCB (the human brain is very adaptive at these very minor differences), but I'm 100% sure that the VE.A had a lot of latency.

Offline pomk

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:58:21 »

Here we go again... I can't reliably measure latency, but I'm 100% sure that in some cases the 32A based boards can have slightly higher latency than 32u2/32u4 based ones. This is very possibly because of the native USB support of the 32u2 and 32u4 compared to the V-USB implementation the 32a requires. I've generally had less latency on Leeku L3 boards compared to the ps2avrGB based VE.A, but even the L3's can be slightly slower than Duck's 32u(2/4) based solutions.
I play rhythm games in my free time, and since these have very tight timing windows the 20+ms of the ps2avrGB based VE.A are very noticeable, the L3 based TX87 PCB with the newest firmware (the older one with the RGB bug was noticeably worse) are very close to the performance of my Duck and my TK78 which both use a 32u4(which was exactly the same as the performance of my old Quickfire TK), but I think it still is a few ms behind but nowhere close to the VE.A. If you believe me or not is your thing at the end, maybe my brain is just screwing with me on the TX87 PCB (the human brain is very adaptive at these very minor differences), but I'm 100% sure that the VE.A had a lot of latency.
Comparing latency is quite trivial. Have a program running on your PC which plays a sound when a key is pressed, then have a microphone next to the keyboard and measure the delay between the key press sound and the sound from the PC program. This allows you to compare different boards with one another. Just keep the distance of the PC sound device (speaker maybe), the keyboard and the microphone the same for all keyboards you wish to compare.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:39:54 »
Comparing latency is quite trivial. Have a program running on your PC which plays a sound when a key is pressed, then have a microphone next to the keyboard and measure the delay between the key press sound and the sound from the PC program. This allows you to compare different boards with one another. Just keep the distance of the PC sound device (speaker maybe), the keyboard and the microphone the same for all keyboards you wish to compare.

Now I'm feeling dumb for not coming up with that myself.... I'll definitely do that with all my boards, expect a keyboard science post on /r/mk in the next week (I might repost it in some subforum here aswell). This also seems doable at a meetup, so you can have a lot of different boards to test without having to buy each and every one.

Offline pomk

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:41:27 »
 :thumb:
I await with excitement!

Be sure to calculate variance as well as average delay! Especially variance I imagine would make rhytm games incredibly difficult.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:49:50 by pomk »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:48:12 »
Extremely nice looking design.  What is the incline?  I prefer a flat board or no incline at all, but I would probably sacrifice my wrists for this beauty.

Also, does anyone have a ballpark figure for how much we can expect to pay?  I realize this is like the premium of the premium, but are we talking $400 or more?

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 13:53:18 »
Extremely nice looking design.  What is the incline?  I prefer a flat board or no incline at all, but I would probably sacrifice my wrists for this beauty.

Also, does anyone have a ballpark figure for how much we can expect to pay?  I realize this is like the premium of the premium, but are we talking $400 or more?

If you're referring to the Dolphin, it will likely be ~$500. Btw hi, I'm going to be running the GB. :)

Edit: I will have more information in the coming days regarding both boards, colors, prices, etc. Stay tuned!
Dolphin v1 LE | TGR Jane | LZ Ergo

Offline Tally810

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:06:24 »

If you're referring to the Dolphin, it will likely be ~$500. Btw hi, I'm going to be running the GB. :)

Edit: I will have more information in the coming days regarding both boards, colors, prices, etc. Stay tuned!
I saw you were looking for a bottom to your dolphin you already have and didn't have much luck finding it.  So you just cut straight to the chase and bring the dolphin to geekhack.  I like how you think  :thumb:

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:20:16 »

I saw you were looking for a bottom to your dolphin you already have and didn't have much luck finding it.  So you just cut straight to the chase and bring the dolphin to geekhack.  I like how you think  :thumb:

Well, I have a bottom, I just happen to have an extra top case and plate...

But yeah, cut to the chase and go straight to the source and convince him that a geekhack gb is needed!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:32:50 »

But yeah, cut to the chase and go straight to the source and convince him that a geekhack gb is needed!
Seriously that's awesome  :thumb:

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:37:47 »
Yes, I'm interested.
Thank you for joining Geekhack.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:45:07 »

Now that is some mighty fine work.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:09:47 »

wtf, nice dude

let's just get bmw to bring back all the classic kustoms
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:20:42 »

wtf, nice dude

let's just get bmw to bring back all the classic kustoms

Friendly neighborhood keeb addict. :)

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:24:32 »
I need more info of Kokkiri in my life

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:10:50 »
Dang, the Dolphin has such a beautiful shape! Much nicer than the standard all-right-angles cases. It almost reminds me of like... a 90's videogame peripheral somehow?

Offline ika

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:00:15 »
yes.... yes...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:41:11 »

The microphone has a similar input delay to that of a keyboard, I don't think it's as trivial as you think.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Data

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 20:33:15 »

The microphone has a similar input delay to that of a keyboard, I don't think it's as trivial as you think.

I imagine it's much like measuring the weight of a liquid -- you have to account for the container.  But as long as you use the same container each time you can measure the weights of many different liquids and compare them without worrying about the container's own weight spoiling your measurements.

Likewise, if you use the same microphone for every measurement AND the microphone's own latency can be measured/known, then it's still possible to use it for measuring latency.  There are many sources of additional latency in an analog system like what was described.  But they are additive, and since we only care about the DIFFERENCE in latency between keyboards the additional systemic latency shouldn't matter.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 20:35:44 by Data »

Offline Sissy

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:27:13 »

you good peoples you

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:33:07 »
Interested!  :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:35:17 »

I imagine it's much like measuring the weight of a liquid -- you have to account for the container.  But as long as you use the same container each time you can measure the weights of many different liquids and compare them without worrying about the container's own weight spoiling your measurements.

Likewise, if you use the same microphone for every measurement AND the microphone's own latency can be measured/known, then it's still possible to use it for measuring latency.  There are many sources of additional latency in an analog system like what was described.  But they are additive, and since we only care about the DIFFERENCE in latency between keyboards the additional systemic latency shouldn't matter.

Ahhh, very good point!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline inosint

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:45:22 »
Interested! Very curious about the pcb and supported layouts

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Offline neralo

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 03:44:24 »
commenting to register my interest as well. Gorgeous looking thing this keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 03:50:30 »
Color info would also be awesome. I need the Mira Lunar Grey with this board

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 05:14:52 »

Wasn't the price in the original GB last year around $370 or something? Btw, any chance for other boards by Lin too or just these two?

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 07:25:31 »

Wasn't the price in the original GB last year around $370 or something? Btw, any chance for other boards by Lin too or just these two?

Last group buy was ~$400 I believe. Regarding GB boards, big news coming soon. Hope you guys are ready!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 07:32:24 »

Last group buy was ~$400 I believe. Regarding GB boards, big news coming soon. Hope you guys are ready!

I'm ready, but my wallet is not :(

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 08:46:34 »

I'm ready, but my wallet is not :(

Ya, I'm already in 2 other TKL GB. Now we're going to have a third one. Can't afford 3 kb at the same time. Hard choice now!   

Online KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 08:56:37 »

∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 09:25:26 »

Would love to see an ergo board when this big news if revealed.  Either way, I'm excited.  Thanks for all the work you're doing!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 09:53:42 »
I'm praying that you will offer 84-key Dolphin rather than just 86 and 87 key :-*
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 09:56:20 »
I'm praying that you will offer 84-key Dolphin rather than just 86 and 87 key :-*

Hear our prayers.

Offline luumii

• A day in life without Keyboard SA
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 11:51:46 »
Most definetely very interested as well ;D ;D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 13:32:25 »

Do you have any experience running large group buys? Not to be rude, but I would find it hard to trust someone with 40 posts and not much time on the forum with $500 of my money! :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 13:36:37 »

Do you have any experience running large group buys? Not to be rude, but I would find it hard to trust someone with 40 posts and not much time on the forum with $500 of my money! :)

Very valid concern.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 13:51:00 »

I think that person is in cahoots with Lin; but as for running actual GBs, I have no idea.

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:16:52 »

So actually, this is a total ploy to steal money from all of you. I'm not actually running the GB.

Okay, just kidding. So I'm friends with Kin and Lin and talk with them daily on Kakao. The money is actually going to go straight to Lin, so no worries on that front. This is my first group buy, but I have the support of Kin and Lin behind me - not to mention several friends that are into keebs that will be helping me as well (this sentence has to be a run-on). As far as "large", I'm not sure this qualifies as such. There are going to be 60 total kbds produced, so it won't be too hard to handle. Lin will *probably* be handling shipping or at least a large portion of it, but logistics are still being figured out. Heck, he only decided to do this a few days ago!

Regarding the actual GB itself: Because there are only qty 30 Dolphins and qty 30 Mystery Boards ;) being produced, I think the most fair/logical thing to do is do a raffle. I'll be streaming the drawing on Twitch/somewhere so there are no favoritism accusations or anything like that. Lin and I are currently set on that, but please keep in mind that it's subject to change based on Lin's decisions. He's doing this as a favor to the GH community, so I'm going to do what he wants.

I will update this as soon as possible regarding date, kbds available, colors, etc. Please stay tuned to this thread. Feel free to PM me on GH or Reddit (_BMW_M3_). ((I hate my username, I go by Muzi everywhere else)) However, please refrain from asking questions such as GB date, kbds, colors, pcb, etc etc until I get full details from Lin. He's a busy, busy guy and he's doing us a huge favor! Please be patient with Lin and myself. We're doing the best we can! More details to come soon guys!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:20:02 by _BMW_M3_ »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:27:49 »

So actually, this is a total ploy to steal money from all of you. I'm not actually running the GB.

Okay, just kidding. So I'm friends with Kin and Lin and talk with them daily on Kakao. The money is actually going to go straight to Lin, so no worries on that front. This is my first group buy, but I have the support of Kin and Lin behind me - not to mention several friends that are into keebs that will be helping me as well (this sentence has to be a run-on). As far as "large", I'm not sure this qualifies as such. There are going to be 60 total kbds produced, so it won't be too hard to handle. Lin will *probably* be handling shipping or at least a large portion of it, but logistics are still being figured out. Heck, he only decided to do this a few days ago!

Regarding the actual GB itself: Because there are only qty 30 Dolphins and qty 30 Mystery Boards ;) being produced, I think the most fair/logical thing to do is do a raffle. I'll be streaming the drawing on Twitch/somewhere so there are no favoritism accusations or anything like that. Lin and I are currently set on that, but please keep in mind that it's subject to change based on Lin's decisions. He's doing this as a favor to the GH community, so I'm going to do what he wants.

I will update this as soon as possible regarding date, kbds available, colors, etc. Please stay tuned to this thread. Feel free to PM me on GH or Reddit (_BMW_M3_). ((I hate my username, I go by Muzi everywhere else)) However, please refrain from asking questions such as GB date, kbds, colors, pcb, etc etc until I get full details from Lin. He's a busy, busy guy and he's doing us a huge favor! Please be patient with Lin and myself. We're doing the best we can! More details to come soon guys!

Thanks for that response! I better go catch a few of the rabbits running around outside for luck!

Did Lin ever mention if he would do a whale GB in the future? We love whales too :)

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:29:43 »
30 Dolphins only? Raffle? Ah well, there go all my chances *poof*  :'(

Thank you (read "you" as "everyone involved") anyways for giving us the chance of getting one. Now I have to think about whether I should just get a Mira or pray to RNGsus for a Dolphin(and probably end up without one), I definitely can't afford both.

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:48:46 »

Thanks for that response! I better go catch a few of the rabbits running around outside for luck!

Did Lin ever mention if he would do a whale GB in the future? We love whales too :)

Well, I can tell you that there is a mystery keeb that will be in the group buy, but I can't tell you which one yet. All previous Lin boards are being considered for the current and possible future GH GBs. I promise I'll get secondary "mystery kbd" out asap.

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:49:56 »

Thank you (read "you" as "everyone involved") anyways for giving us the chance of getting one. Now I have to think about whether I should just get a Mira or pray to RNGsus for a Dolphin(and probably end up without one), I definitely can't afford both.

Yeah, as of now it's qty 30. :( That's the number that he wanted to do.

Offline CMYK

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:50:53 »
Color me interested.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:51:38 »

Well, I can tell you that there is a mystery keeb that will be in the group buy, but I can't tell you which one yet. All previous Lin boards are being considered for the current and possible future GH GBs. I promise I'll get secondary "mystery kbd" out asap.

I love mysteries, just send me an invoice and I'm in ;) very excited! 2017 is indeed year of the keyboard! I just really hope there will be some refreshing colors as well :)

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:54:55 »

Yeah, as of now it's qty 30. :( That's the number that he wanted to do.

Maybe he'll consider a R2 after seeing the EASILY 100+ entries that will probably be in after less than 2 days.  ;D

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 17:05:15 »
30 seems like a good number to me 👍

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 17:10:14 »
30 seems like a good number to me 👍

it's a good number, but only if I'm one of those 30  :D

srsly tho, thanks for making it a raffle. I don't think I would have been able to get one if it was FCFS

I'm really hoping that people who enter the raffle actually want the keyboard instead of entering it just for the sake of entering it
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Tally810

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 17:16:28 »
Saw dolphin... sold medusa.... paypal ready...let's go