Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251146 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
What sliders would y’all recommend? I tried using some jtk sliders but they’re so loose that my keys fell off
:(

kbdfans or novatouch if you can find them
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jca666us

I emailed keyclack.com a month ago - they're testing their own sliders.  No idea on the ETA.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 07:19:52 by Jca666us »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Finally got myself a good deal for a 87UW55 today. Now I'm kinda sad that I didn't join this buy when it was active, but I couldn't pull the trigger then knowing I might not get a RF later. Such is life I guess. I've already subscribed to the mailing list in case there are spares (ideally Tactical black Winkey option:P).

Offline Peddamann

a good deal for a realforce 87UW55 in germany is to get ANY realforce at all :-/
ordered a 87UW55 from the uk for around 260€ -_- (320$) RIP Wallet...
last item i need are some sliders...

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Just out of curiosity... How many cases are being manufactured?
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
I may have to join the extras crowd - that's if there are to be any extras..
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
a good deal for a realforce 87UW55 in germany is to get ANY realforce at all :-/
ordered a 87UW55 from the uk for around 260€ -_- (320$) RIP Wallet...
last item i need are some sliders...

WOW RIP wallet indeed my friend! Topre keyboards in Vietnam is also a very rare sight but the price is much better. I also need NT sliders now too  :p

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site

Around 350 were ordered, which is part of why it's going to take a while for manufacturing to be complete (the other main reason being CNY). I myself was shocked by the popularity of the design and number of orders.

One thing is for sure: I'm going to have quite an interesting week sorting, inspecting, assembling, and shipping all these things when they come here to my home office. x_X But that's all part of the fun, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

The cases will all be coming with an instruction manual with some cool hand-drawn artwork I made with an illustrator friend, and I plan to be individually numbering and signing each one—just for the lulz. We're planning on printing them on a Japanese risograph printer, to keep with the Japanese vibe of the RealForce.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2018, 13:27:30 by norbauer »

Offline duckboi

The cases will all be coming with an instruction manual with some cool hand-drawn artwork I made with an illustrator friend, and I plan to be individually numbering and signing each one—just for the lulz. We're planning on printing them on a Japanese risograph printer, to keep with the Japanese vibe of the RealForce.  :cool:

Very cool, I can't wait to get mine!
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline ihalatch

Around 350 were ordered, which is part of why it's going to take a while for manufacturing to be complete (the other main reason being CNY). I myself was shocked by the popularity of the design and number of orders.

One thing is for sure: I'm going to have quite an interesting week sorting, inspecting, assembling, and shipping all these things when they come here to my home office. x_X But that's all part of the fun, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Love ya mate. You are a creative fellow. Can't wait to put together my Norbaforce.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Around 350 were ordered

Holy ****... :eek: :eek:

Offline hayt

• * Maker

Around 350 were ordered

That's pretty dope. Didn't realize this many were being released into the wild.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker

Wow, congrats! That's impressive!

And that sounds really nice, can't wait till I get mine.  :)
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ

Around 350 were ordered

that's like literally 1 tonne of keyboard

Offline Kerasan

The cases will all be coming with an instruction manual with some cool hand-drawn artwork I made with an illustrator friend, and I plan to be individually numbering and signing each one—just for the lulz. We're planning on printing them on a Japanese risograph printer, to keep with the Japanese vibe of the RealForce.

What?

you are from another category,

not just details but norbadetails.

Kerasan KMK Labs

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator

pls tell me there's extras?  :'(

Offline regionfree

there probably will be, as some of those who purchases will probably have a change in their financial situations, which might cause them to cancel.

in my case, I ordered 2 and I will very probably sell one off once I get them. I couldn't make up my mind between the silver alu and enigma black.

pls tell me there's extras?  :'(

Offline EugeneYap83

Wow! JUST WOW! You have just make me more inpatient for the case. (In a good sense).
I’ll be sure to show to my friends once I’m done building the keyboard and poison them into norba*insert projectName*.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Around 350 were ordered

that's so ****ing many

do you even have space for that many cases? like holy ****
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PurpleURP

Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:08:28 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:
For 1: $230
For 5: $104
For 10: $100
For 20: $90

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

edit: All prices in CAD which currently trades for 0.8USD.

pmd, hopefully not too late

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:11:47 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

Were orders being taken for these brass plates? Maybe I missed it.

Offline norbauer

Around 350 were ordered

that's so ****ing many

lol. I'm trying not to think about this quite yet. :rolleyes: Like I said, it's going to make for an interesting week in my living room.

Offline HotRoderX

Around 350 were ordered

that's so ****ing many

lol. I'm trying not to think about this quite yet. :rolleyes: Like I said, it's going to make for an interesting week in my living room.

I am getting more and more excited!!! I can't wait for my case to ship! Are you doing shipping in tiers? Meaning the non powder coated cases will go out a lot sooner then the powder coated ones? I got a tactical black and can't wait!!!

Offline norbauer

I am getting more and more excited!!! I can't wait for my case to ship! Are you doing shipping in tiers? Meaning the non powder coated cases will go out a lot sooner then the powder coated ones? I got a tactical black and can't wait!!!

Yes, the anodized cases will ship much sooner than the powder cases, but still not until later in the spring or summer. As expected, CNY really caused this production run to take quite a while to get rolling. But they're being machined right now.

The powder ones are basically custom-made, nearly one-by-one by a small local shop, so they take time. They're still finishing up Novatouch cases for me right now actually.

Offline sethbc

« Reply #474 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:30:01 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

Were orders being taken for these brass plates? Maybe I missed it.

I still haven't seen anything on this in a while either, i'd be down.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
NE Updates on the brass plate avail?

Offline norbauer

We haven't heard from clappingcactus in a while. I don't want to step on his toes, as I know he was busy with school, but if for some reason he prefers not to complete the project, I'll look into making something similar available this summer, around the time when the Norbaforces ship. My current experiments on the heavy-6 have made me realize that at least doing a brushed brass backplate isn't too hard. Stainless steel with PVD coating could also be an option. I'm looking into that also right now for the Heavy-6.

Offline alisonica

We haven't heard from clappingcactus in a while. I don't want to step on his toes, as I know he was busy with school, but if for some reason he prefers not to complete the project, I'll look into making something similar available this summer, around the time when the Norbaforces ship. My current experiments on the heavy-6 have made me realize that at least doing a brushed brass backplate isn't too hard. Stainless steel with PVD coating could also be an option. I'm looking into that also right now for the Heavy-6.

Nice, i'm in for this for my 5 norbaforces, also in for 2 Heavy-6.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

FIVE?!

Bloody hell. I want to see all these builds when they happen!

Offline braidn

Five is a pretty impressive number. Doubly so with the impressive number to acquire a single case.

Offline Peddamann

new video for all who didnt sub the maestro's youtube channel yet :D

Offline Darknight00z

Did we manage to find someone to add custom programming on the breakout PCB? My norbatouch is seriously lacking this feature.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Did we manage to find someone to add custom programming on the breakout PCB? My norbatouch is seriously lacking this feature.

from what xondat says in the XRF thread, it is impossible and a new pcb/firmware needs to be designed

apparently it is under development now

Offline speedyzy

I cant believe I missed this ;-;

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

from what xondat says in the XRF thread, it is impossible and a new pcb/firmware needs to be designed

Only just seen this so thought I'd weigh in.

To explain it best, it's important to outline why it's possible on the HHKB.

With the HHKB, you have the main PCB, which is where the domes/spring sit etc. This board has the matrix, and then is plugged into the other PCB. The other PCB has the controller on. Stock, it isn't possible to program the HHKB due to the controller, but because the side PCB is easily replaceable, you can edit it like that. It's why Hasu has a PCB replacement only for the HHKB.

The RF is different in this sense (but similar to most keyboard PCBs) where the controller and the matrix are on the whole board. This means there is no where to "intercept" the communication between the matrix and the controller, so it leaves only one option, which is to try and program the controller... But you can't, as there isn't any where to plug in or whatever. I think it's possible to solder wires to the controller, but at this point, it's too messy.

With the RF, you can have a breakout PCB to change the type of connector, but you can't edit the keycodes directly. Think of it as being read only after the information has gone through the controller.

So with the HHKB, you have this:

Key press -> matrix -> through connecting cable -> controller -> physical output

RF is:

Key press -> matrix -> controller -> physical output

Now with a breakout PCB, you can change the physical output, but you can't directly edit the keycode.

It is possible to have a small PCB that takes whatever it's given from the controller, and edit it like this, but this adds latency, and it isn't what we really want, so it'd be pointless to put time development into that.

We want to edit what the controller gives, not what the computer receives.

Why haven't there been any complete PCB replacements yet? It's incredibly complex, and there isn't any public knowledge on it. We all know Topre works using capacitive sensing, which is infinitely more complex than Cherry where it's either on or off.

Hope that explains it well :p

Disclaimer: I'm not a PCB designer, and honestly I don't understand how you'd do it, but I think I understand the reasoning of why you can't simply use a breakout board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:07:19 by xondat »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???

With the HHKB, you have the main PCB, which is where the domes/spring sit etc. This board has the matrix, and then is plugged into the other PCB. The other PCB has the controller on. Stock, it isn't possible to program the HHKB due to the controller, but because the side PCB is easily replaceable, you can edit it like that. It's why Hasu has a PCB replacement only for the HHKB.

The RF is different in this sense (but similar to most keyboard PCBs) where the controller and the matrix are on the whole board. This means there is no where to "intercept" the communication between the matrix and the controller, so it leaves only one option, which is to try and program the controller... But you can't, as there isn't any where to plug in or whatever. I think it's possible to solder wires to the controller, but at this point, it's too messy.

With the RF, you can have a breakout PCB to change the type of connector, but you can't edit the keycodes directly. Think of it as being read only after the information has gone through the controller.

Key press -> matrix -> through connecting cable -> controller -> physical output

RF is:

Now with a breakout PCB, you can change the physical output, but you can't directly edit the keycode.

It is possible to have a small PCB that takes whatever it's given from the controller, and edit it like this, but this adds latency, and it isn't what we really want, so it'd be pointless to put time development into that.

Why haven't there been any complete PCB replacements yet? It's incredibly complex, and there isn't any public knowledge on it. We all know Topre works using capacitive sensing, which is infinitely more complex than Cherry where it's either on or off.

Disclaimer: I'm not a PCB designer, and honestly I don't understand how you'd do it, but I think I understand the reasoning of why you can't simply use a breakout board.

This is actually what the Hasu's TMK USB to USB converter does, iirc it doesn't add much latency, and is pretty much completely transparent to the end-user. Perhaps if you're a CSGO Pro you might notice the difference, but I reckon most mortal plebs like us wouldn't even notice a few extra miliseconds of latency when using a man-in-the-middle such as this.

Link for further info:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74708.0

Since this is TMK-based, it probably wouldn't be too hard to port over to QMK if someone has the time and expertise to play around with it a bit.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Darknight00z

Appreciate the thorough insight! Thanks!

RF is:

Offline ag36

Most topre boards and hhkb can be directly ordered from amazon jp, delivery is around £15 for eu. *ansi and jis only
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 16:39:05 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
Massdrop has some 87U models on sale for about $200 now.

Offline Kerasan

Wold be great!

KMK Labs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:46:27 by Kerasan »

Offline norbauer

I just wanted to provide an update on the project. Machining of all the cases is complete and anodizing work is wrapping up in the next week or two.

Here are some Aerospace Aluminum cases drying after they came out of the anodizing tank.

We do still have some waiting left to do, however. I opted to try to something a little fancy with the packaging, and the hand-assembled boxes won't be done until likely late May. Then inspection, assembly, trans-Pacific shipment, etc. I think we're still on track with my original time estimate, however; I'm hoping early in the summer for shipment of the anodized assemblies to group buy participants. The custom powder coat cases will follow as the shop here in California turns them around.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:43:33 by norbauer »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Hype!  :D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
I just wanted to provide an update on the project. Machining of all the cases is complete and anodizing work is wrapping up in the next week or two.

Here are some Aerospace Aluminum cases drying after they came out of the anodizing tank.

Show Image

We do still have some waiting left to do, however. I opted to try to something a little fancy with the packaging, and the hand-assembled boxes won't be done until likely late May. Then inspection, assembly, trans-Pacific shipment, etc. I think we're still on track with my original time estimate, however; I'm hoping early in the summer for shipment of the anodized assemblies to group buy participants. The custom powder coat cases will follow as the shop here in California turns them around.

good update

looks great

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
*googles when summer starts*

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

June 21st for anyone wondering ;)

Can't come quicker, I want to pick one up.

Offline norbauer

lol. I had to do the same thing today when posting that. This is clearly—intentionally—not a particularly precise timeline, but it seems roughly correct.

It's kind of wacky that the last thing to be complete will be the packaging (same thing is happening to me with Galaxy Class right now). Maybe I need to start looking for a new box factory.

Offline braidn

Show Image

Absolute hype! Excited things are going smooth and the project is on target. Feeling this and the M60 are going to produce some interesting summer builds.

Offline tanvir175

Show Image

Absolute hype! Excited things are going smooth and the project is on target. Feeling this and the M60 are going to produce some interesting summer builds.

>M60
>build
>cries in hotswap

Offline HotRoderX

norbauer might have answered this before but not sure can't remember. Do you know if the non powder coated board's will ship earlier then the powder coated ones?

Offline duckboi

norbauer might have answered this before but not sure can't remember. Do you know if the non powder coated board's will ship earlier then the powder coated ones?

He said that they would in the most recent update above.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..