Author Topic: Can I easily rearrange keycaps from QWERTY to DVORAK on a typical mechanical kb?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline dzd

I've read through many pages, links, ripster guides, etc. on GH, but I am still not sure about this question.

I plan to get a pretty standard <$150 kb like an Xarmor U9, Rosewill 9000, Ducky, etc. I want to rearrange the keycap layout to be Dvorak. Would that work well for these kb's? Are all the 1x1 keycaps on them pretty interchangeable, or do they have subtle differences depending on the row they're on?

Bonus Q: How compatible are these kb's with some colored or custom keycaps I might order from WASD, for example? It probably depends on the specific kb in question, right?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
No, you cannot rearrange them and have the feel/shape of the keys correct.  Each row of numbers and letters is different.

You can replace the keys on any Cherry MX board with other Cherry MX compatible keys (such as WASD) however the there are many different profiles available some only varying by height.  The easiest way to customize a board with new keys is buy a complete replacement set from the 1 source.  Otherwise you need to check out profile and height information for all the key caps that you are interested in.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dzd

Ah - thanks so much. :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Yes you can, but only if all the keys have the same profile, which is uncommon for cherry keyboards, but standard on Unicomp BS.

My WASD set is printed in Dvorak, and it's awesome. (and works on all my cherry keyborads ofcourse)