Author Topic: Keyboard stabilizers?  (Read 7717 times)

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 00:29:56 »
So with the coming of Leopold i decided to try and look up some info about the kind of stabilizers they use vs the cherry/filco stabilizers and could not find any.  Does anyone who has used both have any input to how each of them feel?  I have only ever used the filco style stabilizer and will be getting a Leopold soon.  Just trying to learn as much as i can before i buy.
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 12:59:28 »
alright thanks, i just don't want to get the Leopold and find out that i hate the stabilizers for the space and shift keys, that would be a real bummer because the rest of the keyboard looks really nice.  I love the logo, the LEDs on the keys, and i really like lasered keys since i have a very neutral body Ph, i dont have to worry about wearing due to small levels of acidity, more due to abrasion, which lasered is better at preserving.

EDIT: there was nothing about the Leopold style stabilizers on there.  Will continue looking for some info.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:18:00 by hfcobra »

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline RiGS

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:14:14 »
Some people prefer Filco style for lightness and response.

Could you be more specific about this?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:50:23 »
Still looking for some opinions from people who have used both kinds of stabilizers.  Which is better?  why?

I have seen both kinds and i know which is which, just never used them so i need some info about how one versus the other feels.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:59:28 »
Quote from: RiGS;283977
Could you be more specific about this?

The Filco wire system seems to be more "transparent" in that it just feels like another cap on a switch just like a letter key.  The Cherry-style stabilizer is, essentially, two key stems supported by a wire.  The wire is below the plate and supports the cap in a way that adds some additional feel that some people find mushy.  I don't really feel a lot of difference, and if no one said there was a difference, I doubt many people would notice it.  Honestly, they really are about the same.

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:05:18 »
Quote from: ripster;284007
True - the added inertia isn't that big a deal.  Just like some chubby women dance pretty well if you keep your eyes closed and stick your head on their bosum.

lol, well then i will not worry about it.

a little off topic though, what are some concerns that anyone is having about the Leopolds, they seem pretty great to me and a perfect keyboard to replace the Filcos. I have read that some people are a bit worried about buying them becuase they dont think that they are on par with the Filcos somehow.

EDIT:  yes i am picky with women, they have to be pretty of course (i believe that is important in any relationship) and they have to be fun.  Someone i would like to hang around with for more than just looks or sex.   Sharing common interests isnt so important for me, since people with similar personalities can have different interests, but some common interests are needed of course.  The deciding factors are really just that they are fun to be with and they look good to me (even if not anyone else).

EDIT:  i really have only had 1 girlfriend my whole life and i am 20 years old lol, so i would consider that pretty picky.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:10:45 by hfcobra »

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:08:19 »
Everything I read around here say that the Leopolds are better than the Filcos.  I have a bad habit of not reading, too, so you might want to consider that.  IMav liked his, and that's good enough for me.  I will say, too, that I am seriously considering buying one when EK gets them.  I would rather have a 104 layout, but I might jump on an 87 depending on the availability.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:12:56 »
Quote from: ripster;284015
In the end all the keyboards in this $100+ pricepoint are going to be pretty good.  Except the Ducky.  They Sucky.

This is a good point.  Seeing as the market for high-end keyboards is very small, the serious players are all going to have good product as the competition is fierce.  Crappy keyboards are going to get dumped on in a hurry.  Just ask the Das III.

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:15:10 »
alright thanks, and i have come across a post somewhere where someone posted an email from Brian confirming that they will have full-size leopolds as well as the tenkeyless ones.  The FC200Ris the full size version that ripster posts nice pics of and the FC200RT is the tenkeyless one from what i have read.  So no more worries about whether or not the Leopolds will come with a full size board.  

Although i have also read that the release date is a bit delayed, now they are being sold mid to end february, but i really dont want to believe this as i have heard that Brian has been very good with posting dates in the past, so i am still hoping for the release within the next week or two!   :D

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:22:22 »
Quote from: ripster;284024
Actually he lies all the time about whether Filcos wristpads are made out of leather or not but it's no biggie.  There's a lot of that at Geekhack too.

lol, maybe he is trying to spread rumors over at OCN so people dont go out and buy them right away and GeekHack gets the first buys in case stock runs out!   >:)  

He knows we will appreciate the keyboard more for sure.   :)

Offline laden3

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:23:02 »
The stabilizers feel the same to me, except that the cherry style looks classy.

TBH I don't think that most of the people can really differentiate the small differences that make one keyboard "better" than the other (yet to see someone dissolve the plastics and run the solution in a HPLC). It is just the matter of the looks and features or how much you are willing to pay.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:25:30 »
I don't have a filco to compare it to but i feel my ducky big sized keys are just fine. The ease of removing/installing keys gave it the bigger advantage for me especially since i've had to replace the keys a few times over already for my modding.

But if your comfortable being able to do the same on a Filco stabilizer key, then try both out and go with which you prefer.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:45:20 »
Quote from: ripster;284035
Just as long as it's not the Ducky BigAss version.  Now that IS a stupid way to do stabilizers.

i have to say ripster, you are really turning me off Duckys.  A lot of what you say about them seems to be credible to some degree and therefore i do not ever want to own one.  The just seem to be cheap and not so well made, at least compared to the quality of things like Filco and Leopold, or Das, but i hate Das, the keyboard looks silly imo.  Just standard matte black is the way to go!

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:58:47 »
Uh, cobra.

Rippy may be right about the L shaped enter key, but the one i am using is us ansi layout for my ducky dk-9008. it works just fine.

my only critique is the spru marks on the top side of the keys that seems too jaggedy. It's more apparent for the top row when you move your finger along the sides at the top. But then again when typing you don't do that, so it's just me being nit picky about that part of the build quality.

Also another thing is the print color for the laser pbt keys. The contrast isn't as good as my doubleshots. How it would compare to say leopold laser etched keys i don't know since i don't have one.

But since i replace the keys with doubleshot it's less an issue.

If you replace keys like i did, there isn't much to complain about (unless your gonna use super mega phat ass enter key).

PS: even with 7bits doubleshots you'd still have 4 keys top right without doubleshots. But it's better than leopold not having a compatible spacebar with 7bit's kit.

Furthermore Duckys newer limited edition tiger keyboard will have NKRO over usb. But to be fair we are not sure how well it will be, whether a success like microsoft's sidewinder usb nkro, or the plum with some quirkyness especially for macs.

Ducky isn't perfect but it isn't much worse than others either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 15:02:14 by Moogle Stiltzkin »
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 15:02:34 »
Quote from: Moogle Stiltzkin;284054
Uh, cobra.

Rippy may be right about the L shaped enter key, but the one i am using is us ansi layout for my ducky dk-9008. it works just fine.

my only critique is the spru marks on the top side of the keys that seems too jaggedy. It's more apparent for the top row when you move your finger along the sides at the top. But then again when typing you don't do that, so it's just me being nit picky about that part of the build quality.

Also another thing is the print color for the laser pbt keys. The contrast isn't as good as my doubleshots. How it would compare to say leopold laser etched keys i don't know since i don't have one.

But since i replace the keys with doubleshot it's less an issue.

If you replace keys like i did, there isn't much to complain about (unless your gonna use super mega phat ass enter key).

PS: even with 7bits doubleshots you'd still have 4 keys top right without doubleshots. But it's better than leopold not having a compatible spacebar with 7bit's kit.

Furthermore Duckys newer keyboard will have NKRO over usb.

Ducky isn't perfect but it isn't much worse than others either.

well i have read that in order to stay in this market, you must sell something that is high quality since not a lot of people just jump into getting a mech keyboard, so in order for Ducky to not go out of business they must sell things that are just fine.   Just making a joke about Ducky lol   :)

BTW: what is the point in whether or not you replace the spacebar with one from signature plastics?  Since it is not labeled i do not see why it would matter whether or not you were able to replace one....
I am talking about key durability of course, not whether or not the colors will match   :P

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 15:21:21 »
just saying if you replace stock for 7bit doubleshots, then ducky i think is the way to go :}

Filco and G80-3xxx series is fine as well.

If your sticking to stock keys, then maybe a leopold. But with the new ducky tiger keyboard coming, that might be better if you like usb nkro.

[/FONT]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 15:26:12 »
Quote from: ripster;284035
Just as long as it's not the Ducky BigAss version.  Now that IS a stupid way to do stabilizers.
Show Image

Well, at least they can use the same PCB for ANSI layouts, too...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline hfcobra

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:48:44 »
Quote from: Moogle Stiltzkin;284074
just saying if you replace stock for 7bit doubleshots, then ducky i think is the way to go :}

Filco and G80-3xxx series is fine as well.

If your sticking to stock keys, then maybe a leopold. But with the new ducky tiger keyboard coming, that might be better if you like usb nkro.

i plan on getting double shot keys in the next round, but i think that the leopold will do just fine until then.  I have a PS/2 port on my mobo so that is no big deal and i can still have NKRO.  Why Ducky if the keys were taken out of the question though?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:06:38 »
Damn...now that's a BIG ASS key!

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 08:12:47 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;284137
Damn...now that's a BIG ASS key!

Big ASCII?

woody

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 08:34:14 »
Quote from: itlnstln;284405
Big ASCII?

Real men have big EBCDIC.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 08:57:13 »
While functionally OK, the stabilizers on the Noppoo Choc Mini are rattly.  The Choc Mini uses the same style stabilizers as the Filco.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 January 2011, 07:09:24 »
MOM, FTW.  I vividly remember one night where I took some MOM for hearburn.  Bad and unexpected things occurred.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 January 2011, 08:38:29 »
I like MOMs too.

Offline Circlepit

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 13:12:52 »
What are costar stablizers?
And what is the difference between cherry  normal ones and cherry g88 ones? thought there is only one type of cherry stablilizers

Offline RiGS

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 03:09:46 »
Quote from: dante;513361
I've had really good results with my Leopolds stabs for Cherry Blacks; they feel practically identical to costars - or enough that I find the issue mute.

Also had good success with Cherry Blues on a Cherry G80-1800; didn't find the stabs offensive.  But can't speak for the majority of Cherry stab clones out there.

Knowing what I know now, I'd stick to Costar for Browns and probably Reds.

There is no such thing as Cherry stab clones.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline bbbbqq

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 03:18:45 »
I ****ing hate cherry/leopold stabilizers.
you'll just be typing along, and blam, it suddenly feels like ass, every time you use shift or space.

They're absolutely terrible.

The costar/filco ones are far better, they feel just like a normal key.

Offline pitashen

Keyboard stabilizers?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 03:25:15 »
They are all pretty good. I own 2 cherry stab boards and 1 costar stab board.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //