Author Topic: [IC] Topre "Red Alert" Keycaps [Red Print on White Caps]  (Read 68875 times)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
[Interest Check] Topre "Red Alert" Keycaps [Red Print on White Caps]
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 21:47:56 »
What I ment is, that people say yes!, but they do not have an idea of the price. Having a target price will give you a better indication, of who is able to buy or not these sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 22:48:48 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline parasrama

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 23:21:40 »
in for 1!

Offline duncan

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 23:44:52 »
Quote from: cactux;532754
What I ment is, that people say yes!, but they do not have an idea of the price. Having a target price will give you a better indication, of who is able to buy or not these sets.

So maybe we need people to say "In for one set @ $300" (or whatever the maximum people would be prepared to pay?
Is that what you are thinking cactux?

BTW I am not in at all at this point too much money on keyboards for the last 2 months, need to let my funds recover before going hard on more for a bit.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline razaking

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:26:22 »
One set for me, thanks!!!

Offline gimpster

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:52:41 »
Well, the sets they're selling right now are going for $110. For something special-order like this, I'd personally be willing to go as high as about $175. (**** these Topres are expensive to own...)
-Ryan

Offline Ar3s

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 02:37:05 »
so its an interest check to rub salt in EK's face to say you told them so that this COULD sell ?
Keyboard Collection:
Topre Realforce 86U | Filco Majestouch 2 Limited Edition R | Filco Majestouch 2 Yellow Keycap Version | Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja White | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline ciderjuseyo

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 08:34:05 »
1 please
good

Offline GoodKnight

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 13:09:43 »
:) I'd be interested in 1 set!

Offline ahoocom

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:30:32 »
count me one set :)
cheer up!!

Offline ciderjuseyo

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:02:36 »
Sorry.
Change please
Two set please

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:22:21 »
Don't wanna sound negative but I highly doubt that this group buy will ever happen.  Prove me wrong, Brian.  Prove me wrong.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:30:29 »
I agree with you reaper, but I also think that if another custom set of Topre keycaps is ever commissioned from any vendor, then what we're doing here is going to give us the best chance of getting a set like this.
If not EK, then perhaps Leopold or TheKeyboardCo will have a go at it.

I've spoken with Taeyoung who has mentioned it to the kbdmania community so all we can do is get as many names as possible and hope for the best!

Edit: I'm so enthusiastic about this set that I'd even offer to cover the setup costs at my own expense if they were close to the estimate I gave in my previous post (~$700)
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:33:03 by 002 »

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 03:13:32 »
I will be down for a set of this too, looks awesome
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline duncan

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 04:17:17 »
This makes sense - gives a real meaning to "I am interested"
Quote from: gimpster;532931
Well, the sets they're selling right now are going for $110. For something special-order like this, I'd personally be willing to go as high as about $175. (**** these Topres are expensive to own...)

These, however, are basically meaningless.

Quote from: GoodKnight;533228
:) I'd be interested in 1 set!

Quote from: mehkat1974;533784
I will be down for a set of this too, looks awesome

Quote from: ciderjuseyo;533657
Sorry.
Change please
Two set please

Quote from: ahoocom;533437
count me one set :)
cheer up!!

Quote from: razaking;532919
One set for me, thanks!!!

Unless you are prepared to say how much you are prepared to spend on a set there is going to be zero interest from EK or pretty much anyone else. Unless you show some sign that you are prepared to put your money where you mouth is any sane business person is going to ignore you. There are enough people who pull out of group buys at way less then the minimum this set is going to have to be because they expect it to be cheaper. Unless you show some appreciation that you really understand the amount of money you are pretending to commit to spend you aren't making any kind of meaningful case.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline 1004jigi

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 04:44:08 »
In for a set! thanks

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 08:21:06 »
Quote from: duncan;533804

I understand where you're coming from but I'd also like to point out that most people who are interested in this set would probably already own Topre keyboards.
Considering the fact that an entry level Topre keyboard is over $200 I would think that the majority of the people interested in this group buy will probably understand that a keycap set like this is going to be over $100.

It's no secret that Topre is expensive, but I'm reluctant to put a dollar value on a possible price of these keycaps because I don't want people coming back to me and saying "but you said..."
If I were to guess though, I'd say a set like this would be between $110 and $150 - any higher than that and I'd be surprised myself.

Offline Namoki

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 12:04:50 »
In for a set!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 12:06:09 »
In order to make EK or IOMania stop playing chicken, I think we need to do this like a regular group buy, except without the certainty that the goods could be ordered.  

• Find out how much it would cost for a set plus shipping, even though the price may not be locked in
  • Find out what the minimum order is
  • Ask EK or IOMania if we could pay for the the minimum orders up front, would they do it.
  • Interest check, get people to sign up
  • If EK or IOMania agrees to step 3, have someone trustworthy in the community to collect all payments
  • Send money to EK or IOMania to order
  • ???
  • Profit!

If EK or IOMania doesn't want to take the risk, this would be the only way to get either to do it.  If they wouldn't do it if we do this list, then there is some other reason making them not wanting to do it.

Offline lawlawman

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 16:20:24 »
Lawlawman - 5

Offline devouringone3

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:17:36 »
More intelligent people like Lawlawman need to understand that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You will sell those key cap sets to your children like hot breads at Clack factory keys second hand price... auction style.

There is a bit of serious in what I just that.

I wouldn't be a poor student I would take 10.

Hélas I'm just a student who can't afford one. But I'm buying one anyway, more poor students needs to follow my example.

Please may this come into realization please. Talking to no one in particular.

THIS IS UBER LIMITED EDITION. We will only obtain it if we ask hard enough for it, Topre will custom make them for us :D We could ask them for things like autographs on every single keys. Me I want the autograph of the engineer who created the red LED inside their newer boards.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:20:14 by devouringone3 »

Offline duncan

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 00:09:11 »
Quote from: 002;533850
I would think that the majority of the people interested in this group buy will probably understand that a keycap set like this is going to be over $100.
Fairly obvious assumption. My orange printed Topres were more like $180 delivered so I think that anyone assuming a special edition is going to be less than $200 is probably indulging in wishful thinking.

If anyone reading this is going to take it seriously then they are going to expect to people to explicitly state their assumptions.

I would be stunned if this was less than $200 and I don't see any evidence that the people throwing 'yes please' onto a web forum are openly committing to that kind of money. If they are then how about they say it out loud. How is that an unreasonable thing to ask?

It's no secret that Topre is expensive, but I'm reluctant to put a dollar value on a possible price of these keycaps because I don't want people coming back to me and saying "but you said..."
I am not asking you to put a price on anything.
I am asking the people making the fake commitment to buy to make it just slightly less fake by putting a dollar value on their fake promise.
Nothing for you to do.

If I were to guess though, I'd say a set like this would be between $110 and $150 - any higher than that and I'd be surprised myself.
As I already said, if this special buy comes in at $150 then I would be standing about in open mouthed shock that they were that cheap. I think that is way too low a guess and am completely unsurprised EK are ignoring you if they have any hint that your assumption is that low.
No reason my wild guess is better than your wild guess but no one is asking you to guess for exactly the reasons you gave about why you guessing is a terrible idea.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 00:35:53 »
$180 dollars delivered?
If you paid $70 for shipping on EK's most recent run of the coloured keycaps then I suppose you must live in Antarctica?

Look, I see what you mean - it would've been nice for people to say "I'm willing to spend X amount of dollars" but really, I doubt it's going to give it any more credibility than "I'm keen for a set".
The problem with people assigning a dollar value means it could end up worse for everyone. If we all say "Well I'd spend $200 on these keycaps at least!", then a smart salesman could see this as an opportunity to make a nice little cut when the keycaps cost them no more to produce than the coloured sets (once again, I don't know the cost and also I'm not implying that EK or any other vendor would inflate the cost based on the apparent demand...)

It would have been nice, but I'm not going to ask people to do it from now on because 46 people have already gotten away with *not* doing that.
Because this thread is more like a petition than a group buy (in fact, it's not a group buy) there's always a chance that the people who sign it are doing so having no intention of buying although I would hope that it wouldn't be too many; especially given that I recognise a lot of names on the list so far and quite a few of the signups already own more than a few Topre items.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 01:04:20 »
Quote from: ripster;534516
Elitekeyboards is very good at ignoring these custom Geekhack requests.

And this may be our very foil, but if EK decides that they're interested but would like to know how much we'd all pay (as Duncan suggested), then I shall run a poll on it.
Until we get over the first hurdle I don't want to bother anyone more than I perhaps already have.

This is my first attempt at organising anything on Geekhack so I am learning lessons as I go - thanks to all who have offered their suggestions and constructive criticisms to me so far and thanks to everyone who has shown their support.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 01:21:45 »
If you want a dollar amount I can provide that, any info you might need 002 if you think it will help us with a chance to get these!
Keyboardless

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 01:37:46 »
Ok sure, tsangan - go ahead :)
If anyone would like to provide how much they're willing to pay, then I will update the original post with the amount. I will keep this optional for now.
Thanks tsangan, and thanks duncan for the suggestion.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:17:32 »
I am going by the regular keys being $110 on EK excluding shipping, for these special ones I can do $150 per set so $450 for 3 sets.

That's not to say if it's a bit higher I'll automatically say no, I can go up to $200 per set for 3 sets, if it's higher then that I would probably have to lower my set count, but I really doubt it would be that high.

Once again my figures are excluding shipping from EK or whoever to me.
Keyboardless

Offline litster

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:55:10 »
Assuming that this special set would cost more than the regular sets that is currently selling at EK for $110, tsangan's estimate is totally reasonable.  Like I said, since EK said, "oh, you guys are not going to have enough orders to trouble us", find out from EK what the minimum number of sets MOQ) is to make it worth their while, and approximately at how much per set.  Without this information, we can't move forward.

This is just like a keycap group buy with SP, except SP is able to give us a price list whether they think we can make their MOQ or not.  Whereas EK doesn't seem to care, or maybe they just don't have the capacity (not enough time or human resource) or ability (not able ask for special order or it is just too much trouble to worth their while) to do it.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:04:02 »
They would not provide an MOQ and were surprised when I mentioned what it was - 100 is the MOQ

Offline litster

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:13:34 »

There are lots of people on Geekhack or other communities that are interested in such products. However, it really does not mean they are financially affordable, and even if they are it does not mean they are going to. and

So, at "this" time, we are unable to plan any specials just because the market in GH or other communities is not big enough.

Translation:
yep, a lot of people say they would buy it, but we don't believe them.  Even if they really do, we don't have the capital to invest 100 sets and hope that you guys would buy them.  Even if you guys buy them all, it will take a year to get rid of them.  We are not going to have our money sit on 100 of these random keycaps.  We are doing just fine with what we are selling.

Something has to give.  So, if you guys really want this, start it as a potential group buy.  Interest check to 100 set.  Actually collect money.  If EK actually wants to do it when they see the money, pay EK, and wait half a year for the keycaps to arrive.

I can't see any other way to do it if that is EK's position.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:22:37 »
For me to ask to collect money there would have to be two pre-requisites met:
- EK confirm in writing that they are willing to go ahead with it.
- EK confirm price of sets.

I also do not have the logistical prowess to organise the collection of money if it came to that, so I would have to hand the reigns over to someone willing with experience in groupbuys like cactux or whoever.

Offline litster

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:29:17 »
True.  We would have to ask EK, "Hey EK, MOQ is 100 sets.  What is the per set price for 100 sets?  If we can pay up front for 100 sets, would you order them?  Basically we are guaranteeing the purchase."

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:43:16 »
Ok I've put that question to them.
I might be pushing my luck after getting two softly delivered 'No's but what do we have to lose, right?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:47:59 »
Let me talk to iomania. First of all we can aproachy any Topre dustribuitor once we have the money. They will take our money right away. The question here is how much and how many sets are required in order to have a realistic sale price , that can be answer by either Topre or iomania
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:52:01 by cactux »

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:50:23 »
Thanks cactux that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:53:11 »
^ We are a community and as a community we need to help each others :-)

Offline snakr49

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 10:33:48 »
In for one!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 17:09:26 »
Put me down for ONE set (Topre RED ALERT key-set), please.

Now I have to go buy a Topre Keyboard.

Offline Ar3s

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 18:42:39 »
Is it me or are all the Topre keycaps on EK from LEOPOLD korea ?
Keyboard Collection:
Topre Realforce 86U | Filco Majestouch 2 Limited Edition R | Filco Majestouch 2 Yellow Keycap Version | Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja White | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline danielhong

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 09:48:44 »
in 4 one~!!!!!

Offline captain

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 12:04:25 »
This set looks just like the "thick PBT" sets from taobao. Can't y'all get KBT, or whoever they are, to do a set with your switch connector?
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline cleeoo

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 02:19:37 »
I'd be in for a set, depending on the price. I don't think I'd want to pay much more than 175-200 either.

Offline atrgeekhack

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 06:57:15 »
count me in for one

Offline nKCrooK

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:31:11 »
100% in for one set

Offline rourouni815

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 23:08:32 »
in for one set

Offline devouringone3

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:28:19 »
I was in for one (1)... please add two.

So I'm in for three (3) now.

Thanks, everyone should follow my example if we want to get those, lol.

Offline devouringone3

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:29:41 »
Quote from: captain;536929
This set looks just like the "thick PBT" sets from taobao. Can't y'all get KBT, or whoever they are, to do a set with your switch connector?

Nope, that's a Topre secret... no one has the mold it takes, or maybe even the rights to make one.

Guys those won't cost 200 dollars, lol. They will cost just as much as normal Topre replacement sets.

Think about how rare they will be and remain, I'm sure even the Japanese people would envy us. Elitekeyboards would have no trouble selling all of his stock.

We would be that small and only community in the history of Topre that got the company to make them their own requested special key caps, based off some kind of weird prototype.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 April 2012, 01:41:20 by devouringone3 »

Offline devouringone3

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 01:37:04 »
That's five more sets, we're now at 60.

If everyone that chose to buy one would choose to pick two instead we would have at least 100 people, would that be good?

Offline litster

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 02:15:08 »
Quote from: devouringone3;566343
That's five more sets, we're now at 60.

If everyone that chose to buy one would choose to pick two instead we would have at least 100 people, would that be good?

You are kidding, right?  This is not like I suggested people to double their keycap order in other SP keycap group buys to get to a *lower* price break so you pay just a couple more bucks to get a second set.  There is no such thing here.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 06:46:26 »
I'll take a set please.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 08:56:25 »
Quote from: litster;566368
You are kidding, right?  This is not like I suggested people to double their keycap order in other SP keycap group buys to get to a *lower* price break so you pay just a couple more bucks to get a second set.  There is no such thing here.

Wait, how do you know?  We don't even have a definite Topre distributor for this buy yet.  Who's to say pricing won't vary with order volume?