Author Topic: How quiet are linear-ized dampened white alps?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Etcher Sage

• I mean, it still works. It just has personality
How quiet are linear-ized dampened white alps?
« on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 12:43:02 »
I got an Ortek-142 Pro battlecruiser a while back that was heavily used, the (un-dampened) white alps were super scratchy even after cleaning; due to the scratchiness, I ended up linearizing it and just like that found the first linear switch I liked! So, with that in mind I want to swap my work keyboard (standard rubber dome) with one that feels nicer. I was thinking of bringing the Ortek in and using that, but I work in a shared office and even though its linear its still much too loud- I started looking into dampened alps switches and from what I've heard that difference between dampened Cream and White Alps is quite minimal, that lead me to looking at the Apple Extended Keyboard II. And so would y'all say that linearized dampened white alps would be quiet enough for shared office use? The boards currently in use are cheap medium-loud dell rubber-dome boards, so they dont have to be silent.
Pixel Art Boards by me, color picked from official
Ortek-142 Pro, Bakeneko, Bm40

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: How quiet are linear-ized dampened white alps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 13:09:23 »
Yeah there should be a pretty decent reduction in the switch noise using linearized damped cream or white ALPS. I would try to get damped creams to linearize though as they have a thicker housing than the damped whites which should be quieter.

Offline Etcher Sage

• I mean, it still works. It just has personality
Re: How quiet are linear-ized dampened white alps?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 13:16:48 »
Yeah there should be a pretty decent reduction in the switch noise using linearized damped cream or white ALPS. I would try to get damped creams to linearize though as they have a thicker housing than the damped whites which should be quieter.

Okay thats good to know, thank you!
Pixel Art Boards by me, color picked from official
Ortek-142 Pro, Bakeneko, Bm40