Author Topic: Changing it up at work.  (Read 1686 times)

Offline itlnstln

Changing it up at work.
« on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 16:13:20 »
I put my Model M back on my work rig since I don't want anything to happen to my Evolution (it was expensive, and they don't make them anymore, don't cha know?) while I am in and out of work for vacation during the holidays, and I forgot how incredibly loud the Evolution was in comparison.  The noise level in the office must have dropped about 50dB since I switched back.  The Evolution will still be in use at home, and is certainly going to stay in use, and, as a matter of fact, I am looking to add another to the family in a few weeks.  While my Evolution is on Xmas vacation, I will probably try to do a little surgery to it to see if there is any way I can dampen the noise (even I appreciate the massive reduction in noise switching back to the M) and remove the programming chip to keep it from spazzing out (this gets annoying after awhile).  I might be abusing a Dell AT101W for a few weeks, too, for sh*ts and grins, but, for now, it's back to the M.  Thanks for listening and for your thoughts and concerns.  Group hug time.

...Or not.

Offline lam47

Changing it up at work.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 16:54:45 »
Hugs.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

Changing it up at work.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 17:04:06 »

a little surgery to it to see if there is any way I can dampen the noise

If you try anything with grease, let us know your experience (and audio clips would be great) ;)

I just dampened the gunshot spacebar on the m10 with a judiciously placed piece of velcro. Worked like a charm, spacebar is no louder than the other keys now. Had to place the velcro on top of the cherry switch itself (gunshot was the spacebar's underside hitting top of switch -- not spacebar bottom hitting keyboard bottom as I initially thought).

Thanks for listening and for your thoughts and concerns. Group hug time.

I feel your pain.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3