Author Topic: what was the first keyboard you ever took apart?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline alpslover

what was the first keyboard you ever took apart?
« on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 10:33:35 »
for me, it was the keyboard on my first computer, an atari 800.  it had linear nmb keyswitches.  i remember wondering 'they made a video game into a keyboard?' (space invaders had only just come out about a year before).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 10:37:21 »
When I was about 13 I took apart the remote control for the family tv in an attempt to install my own mute button on it. Not exactly a keyboard but it had buttons :)
My family hasnt forgotten. Decades later if I gripe about some piece of technology they ask me why I havent tried to put a mute button on it. ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 10:38:05 »
I think the first kb I ever took apart was a Model M, but that was years after I started using computers.  I used to help my dad fix computers at work on the weekends, so he could get overtime.  One of the things I would do is clean the keyboards of negligent users.  We would disassemble the 'boards and soak the appropriate parts in Simple Green, then wipe them off and put them back together.  Until then, I had no need to take one apart, but I was pretty young back then, so I was not as curious about how things worked yet.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 10:58:26 »
Some rubber dome to make CapsLock non-functional (piece of adhesive tape between the membranes).

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 11:07:30 »
I think it was a cheapo rubber dome board...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 11:55:31 »
The IBM model m I got off of ebay : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 November 2008, 17:35:48 »
It would be an original zx spectrum. It was dead and my brothers and I wanted to look inside.
This was before I learnt the importance of putting things back together :)
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 05:36:16 »
It was the Dell AT from my first PC. It looked like an AT-102W but had rubber domes instead of ALPS. I took it apart to clean the contacts but they were just too worn.