Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 342792 times)

Offline Parak

Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:15:44 »
I took it completely apart today, partly because my Q key was acting up and I am going to see what was wrong, when I press it, it makes this odd sound, first 3 presses are a normal switch, and the last 3 are the Q key. What could be wrong?
https://soundcloud.com/user343835333/kishsaver-spring-problem

That can happen if the barrel/flippy/sping/key are somehow not seated correctly. It may be that the barrel is too loose due to insufficient foam, or that the flippy is out of alignment, or that the spring is not inserted on the flippy fully, etc.

My PCB is dusty, anything I should know about cleaning this thing? Proper way of doing it?
Show Image

I just use isopropyl, just be careful of any exposed traces - those are not common, but should be protected with some clear nail polish on a budget, or chemtronics overcoat if not.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:53:16 »
I guess it could have been the barrel and spring not being alighted, I will find out once it is put back together. I will probably clean the PCB tomorrow, I can probably get away with lightly dusting it.

As for the barrels and springs, any ibm experts want to shed light on why the barrels are labeled G(random #) and the springs are labeled (random #)E? Some of them have the same numbers, but most dont, I was just interested in finding out.

Offline wcass

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 23:37:48 »
I tweaked the label slightly. Replaced the dot matrix font with one I made and made the logo slightly larger. Both changes to more closely match the original. I have not printed them on the label stock yet, but it should look like the picture below. I still have three more spots is anyone wants one.
56988-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:18:29 »
I tweaked the label slightly. Replaced the dot matrix font with one I made and made the logo slightly larger. Both changes to more closely match the original. I have not printed them on the label stock yet, but it should look like the picture below. I still have three more spots is anyone wants one.
(Attachment Link)

I'd like a label. I'll post a picture of my sticker later today if that works for you wcass?

Wcass, I'd be interested in a wire spacebar adapter that fits a Model M spacebar to a Model F body. And one of the logos. However, I'm traveling right now. Can we talk when I'm back? I tend to lose PMs when I'm on Tapatalk/my phone :(.

And is my request part of the 16 you spoke of earlier? I'd still really like an adapter. :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:30:35 »
(Attachment Link)

Looks awesome!

Offline wcass

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 20:43:29 »
(Attachment Link)

I'd like a label. I'll post a picture of my sticker later today if that works for you wcass?

Wcass, I'd be interested in a wire spacebar adapter that fits a Model M spacebar to a Model F body. And one of the logos. However, I'm traveling right now. Can we talk when I'm back? I tend to lose PMs when I'm on Tapatalk/my phone :( .

And is my request part of the 16 you spoke of earlier? I'd still really like an adapter. :D

Sorry CPT. I lost you in the mix. I would be happy to send you a PDF with embedded fonts of your label that you can print yourself on a label sheet. You can order a single sheet of label from www.labelsbythesheet.com for about $5 including delivery. this looks just like the stock silver label.

Rant at USPS hidden below.
More
I used all of the 15th to print the labels, box everything up, and get it mailed out. I wanted to reduce the chance that a label or stabilizer would get bent in shipping to as close to zero as possible, so I put everything in plastic RAM boxes and put those into 15 cardboard boxes. I took it down to the post office and the lady at the desk said, "you can't use those boxes!"

See i had cut up some Priority Mail boxes to make my boxes - which is a mortal sin apparently. She would not accept them as they were. So I spend another couple of hours Sunday wrapping the 15 packages like Christmas presents making sure that no one can tell what the box is made of. On Monday I stop at the PO on my way to work - it is the same woman behind the desk, but i feel confident that the boxes can not be identified. Ah, but she knows that i just wrapped the same boxes i had before, so she again refuses to accept the boxes.

I told all this to my wife and she has graciously volunteered to take the boxes to a different post office tomorrow. She is handicapped, so it is very much an inconvenience for her, but hopefully it will improve the chance that these will be accepted for delivery.

The same goes for anyone that wants a label (I make replicas of other labels too). I'ld be happy to do the art, but would prefer you do the actual printing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:06:40 by wcass »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 21:20:07 »
No worries wcass, I don't mind printing myself. The adapters are still fine though right?

Offline wcass

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 22:46:18 »
A close up of my new label. The case is Rustoleum hammered bronze.
57919-0

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 23:17:21 »
Nice  :thumb:  Rust-Oleum has some great colors in the Hammered and Universal lines.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline wcass

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:46:18 »
For putting the switch assembly together, I use a box with a big hole for the barrels. The box also doubles as a place to store caps, barrels, and other parts.
57972-0

I use a slightly different "clamp" than other folks to hold the plates together ...
57970-1

They clamp tight enough to keep the plates together, but loose enough to allow the front and back to slide easily. If you try this, I would suggest using electrical tape inside the "jaws" to prevent scratches.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:34:47 »
So, I hunted down that company, they moved to a new location, changed their name and got a new website. They told me they estimate $100-125 to blast, mask off the inside of the keyboard, and powder coat it. Does this seem reasonable? I haven't ever had something powder coated and I have no clue what it should cost, I was initially expecting something like $80.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:25:12 »
I think that's about the pricing from mkawa's powder coater. You might want to PM him to verify the costs.

Offline wcass

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 09:56:22 »
Has anyone done a 3D model of the  rubber feet or that plastic spacer between the top cover and key assembly?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 11:06:57 »
Label arrived Saturday.  Looks great.  Thank, wcass.

On another note, for case re-painting, did anybody just paint over the existing paint? Or did you scrape off the existing paint, and then add another layer?  I'm wondering how hard it will be to scrape off all the existing paint, and maybe what I could use to do so.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 11:29:13 »

On another note, for case re-painting, did anybody just paint over the existing paint? Or did you scrape off the existing paint, and then add another layer?  I'm wondering how hard it will be to scrape off all the existing paint, and maybe what I could use to do so.

I plan to have it sand blasted off. It's a lot cleaner than most methods. Also, depending on the grain you use, it leaves a nice texture (if you like that) for the new paint. Also, less chance to damage the case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:47:23 by Bro Caps »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 11:58:45 »
JWaZ schooled me on the provenance and availability of the Kishavers.   :'(

However, if a Club Member hears of a way I could gain one and join, I would be very grateful.  And I have many interesting things to be grateful with!

Anyhow, please accept my application to be a Kishsaver Club "Member in Waiting".

-  Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  jdcarpe, if you are serious, I am interested!

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline wcass

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:20:57 »

Great to hear.

I stripped paint using stuff i got at the Home Depot; Klean Strip Premium Stripper 15 minute paste, 1" plastic paint scraper, 1" chip brush. The paint came off very easy. I was tempted to just clear-coat it - the bare metal looked so nice.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 15:44:53 »

Great to hear.

I stripped paint using stuff i got at the Home Depot; Klean Strip Premium Stripper 15 minute paste, 1" plastic paint scraper, 1" chip brush. The paint came off very easy. I was tempted to just clear-coat it - the bare metal looked so nice.

Thanks.  That does not sound too complex, but could get messy.  Sandblasting would be ideal, but getting access to one is a bit of a difficulty.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 20:01:19 »
I've received my labels today.  :)  Thanks once again wcass for all the effort you put into making those for everyone, it's much appreciated.

Now to get this case repainted and everything cleaned up!

Offline wcass

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:35:19 »
I changed a few keys, but the nav cluster will not work right until i get a replacement controller.
58616-0
58614-1

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:41:07 »
It's delicious!  Great job!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:42:03 »
Wow... That is just stunning. Probably one of my favorite and cleanest keyboards on here in my opinion.

Offline tbc

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 01:05:19 »
honestly, this is the best 'club' on geekhack by far.  before I even knew the cases were metal.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:00:45 »
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WCASS!!!!!!  :eek: THESE STICKERS LOOK AMAZING  :eek:

*Ahem* err.. I mean, well done sir. Very well done and thank you for making these for us.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:03:38 »
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WCASS!!!!!!  :eek: THESE STICKERS LOOK AMAZING  :eek:

*Ahem* err.. I mean, well done sir. Very well done and thank you for making these for us.

Show Image

My thoughts exactly!!  I was expecting a single gold sticker, not silver + gold & IBM logos!  wcass went above and beyond the call of duty, by far.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:14:44 »
Got mine today as well, thank you so much wcass! This is awesome  :thumb:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:19:00 »
There's one in classifieds :P

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:25:22 »
There's one in classifieds :P
samwisekoi might be interested :)

:( because you are getting rid of yours though

Offline wcass

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:37:03 »
I guess you missed the late night TV infomercial.

... but wait. If you act now, I'll triple your order. Not only will you get the super amazing Kishsaver label in luxurious polished gold with painstakingly recreated font and logos - but also two additional labels; one in high reflectivity polished silver and the other in water resistant brushed silver. AND IF YOU ACT NOW - I'll throw in FOUR logo stickers at NO ADDITIONAL COST!

Making these really was a lot of fun for me.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:49:49 »
I just got mine today, thank you very much wcass!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:50:02 »

... but wait. If you act now, I'll triple your order. Not only will you get the super amazing Kishsaver label in luxurious polished gold with painstakingly recreated font and logos - but also two additional labels; one in high reflectivity polished silver and the other in water resistant brushed silver. AND IF YOU ACT NOW - I'll throw in FOUR logo stickers at NO ADDITIONAL COST!

The generosity on your part is absolutely awesome.   I don't even have a Kishsaver but was entertaining to see the reactions of those who do.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:51:19 »

Sounds about right, once I saw mashbys post I had to run to the mailbox :P

The brushed one is so sexy.

Offline Monster-Toys

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:31:06 »
Has anyone done a 3D model of the  rubber feet or that plastic spacer between the top cover and key assembly?

I could make them tomorrow if you want (with autocad and or inventor, accurate to ca. 0,3 mm)  but i only have an educational licences (what should be ok, because it is not for commercial use). Just let me know (and what is the prefered file-format).

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 09:30:58 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 09:43:37 by tinlong117 »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:25:37 »
Just out of curiosity, how much did these originally sell for (from tinlong)?

I need one  :'(

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:27:39 »

$159 i think

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:30:11 »
About 150 after all the shipping and such. A steal imo.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:36:46 »

I should have joined :(  Stupid finances made me hesitate.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:44:44 »

80+35+shippping in the states.

Yet someone still said I taken advantage.

I should have joined :(  Stupid finances made me hesitate.
I will give you one if I can be your bf.  :eek:

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:48:41 by tinlong117 »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:58:35 »
tinnie don't you already have a gf?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:01:04 »
tinnie don't you already have a gf?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:03:35 »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:47:34 »
Just to go on the record, I would also like to be in the club one day. I already have experience restoring an F-122, so any potential seller can rest assured that I would give their kishsaver a good home.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:53:12 »

Weird... they seem to be much more expensive in the classifieds these days...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:59:55 »

Shipping in the states was about $18.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:34:24 »
Everybody seems to be selling theirs, is there something I don't know about?  :-X

How close are the converters to being done btw?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:36:20 »
Everybody seems to be selling theirs, is there something I don't know about?  :-X

People are just needing money, and have too many projects I think.

There is a working converter, but the replacement controller is still being tested.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:36:27 »

Just a chain reaction :). One person sells because they realize they don't have time for it, then someone else realizes they're in the same boat, etc.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:54:23 »
riot is right,  I think many of us jumped at the occasion when tinlong sold them,  however after receiving them and having it for a couple of months the realizing that we just don't time.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:57:32 »
riot is right,  I think many of us jumped at the occasion when tinlong sold them,  however after receiving them and having it for a couple of months the realizing that we just don't time.

im similar to that, even if i found time to get it up and going, id never use it, but was too cool of an opportunity not to jump on
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON