Author Topic: [IC] Codenam: Weaven and Universal 60% Carbon Fiber Plates  (Read 11194 times)

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
[IC] Codenam: Weaven and Universal 60% Carbon Fiber Plates
« on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:05:16 »
Hey it's me again  8)

So since the posting of the original thread in 'keyboards' subforum, I got a lot of questions regarding open a group buy for the keyboard, and now the IC is here  :p

For those who still haven't caught up with my last thread yet

So some of you guys will feel familiar with these photos I posted days ago

Show Image

Show Image

And yes, some of you ask about the board but it's not until today that I can show the rest of the project to you, don't know what to call it just yet so I'll leave the code name Weaven there.

So the idea behinds this small guy is I want a keyboard that is convenient enough to be my daily driver, but not at home. Yeah, I want to bring my keyboard to college everyday. Y U NO BRING YOUR VIPER (or LZ CE, Duck Eagle, Hammer case or whatever) ??? ?? It's too heavy. Admit it. I know you feel it too.

Then first what we have to deal with is the weight. And what do we say when it comes to heavy problem? CARBON.

Yes we'll have carbon then.

Show Image

(Also the board I'm using is BeastMask's SPRiT edition of FaceU, thanks, Sprit)

While we're at it, we were thinking getting the back plate made also from carbon fiber, then what? I'll tell you that way we just came up to a regular simple 2 layer case which has open side, mounted screws everywhere, and a feeling of an unfinished product left every time you look at it.

Why don't we do some thing that add the final missing piece to that?

And that was when these guys come in:

Show Image

Matcha KitKat anyone? :p

Show Image

You can now get an idea of how these connected to each other

Break time: LEDs installing

Show Image

Now let's get them together.

So the idea is now you have 3 layers case and a stunning case to compliment the design. What make them interesting then is to make them friendly and easier, the aim is to make assembling process as simple as possible. You just have to slide it in  8)

Show Image

I can tell you that the assembling is where it cost me most, I already finished the whole bag of KitKat :-[

Show Image

Getting it done

Show Image

Give me some light

Show Image

Show Image

Now that's it, what I've been working on lately. It still just a flat board for now. I'm putting it on a carbon fiber tube to have an slight angle. Maybe I'll make it into the board's feet too, but that still there to consider.

So what about the feeling with the CF plate? I can tell you that it's the best plate I've ever typed on. The feeling is much like a mix between aluminium and steel one. It does indeed have the firmness on par with a SS plate, but behave in a way very different that bring it a bit of feel from alu. Those in result make a plate that is so unique and packed in a very light form.

Bare in mind that this is a personal project and still in a developing state. I'm working on a feet and will be updating here when it comes. Also it still have some flaw that I'm still not very satisfied of, but worry not, the 2nd case with fixture are in the made and will be updated in this topic too  :thumb:

So what's your thought?

July 21 Update:

Hey I'm back :p 

Thank you people for the award KotM, that was really a surprised to me ;D  I've been wandering around some last days, since you guys seem to love the keyboard very much, I'm doing a second prototype to fix some design flaws on the original one posted here, this might be the final one to go if a group buy may ever happen in a short time, I may soon open an IC but that'll be later, and now, here is the new CF plate for the proto2 :thumb: 

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

As you may notice the cut outs for switch are kind of weird, this is what we come up with after the experience with the first plate, the common square cut or openable cut with squared side is actually  not suitable to machine on carbon fiber. This is due to the fiber character of the material, any small corner would easily get broken. This in fact cause little to no affects to the typing experience or assembling but make the plate appear very much like an unfinished, flawed piece of work so, you know what I meant :D   

Also, here is a traditional stainless steel plate being laser cut, I made this one to have an idea of how it would be different between using SS plate and CF plate in the Weaven, well, SS as you can easily guess, is much heavier, and not as sturdy as CF though, but you can have a shiny surface to compliment the LEDs in the other hand :))   

Show Image

That's it at the moment, I also had a new 4-piece frame made to come with this, I'll get back with it hopefully another couples of days, so stay tune :thumb:

So now what is this IC thread doing here?

First thing first, I need to check the interest (obviously) for the group buy to come. But form to fill is too much for lazy people like me to check the result sheet, so just write it here that you want it.

Basically, the plan for the group buy is like this:
- The more people to join, the cheaper it gets (yay, I miss this kind of GB)
- With the attending of like 20 people, the price is expected to be no greater than $200. REMEMBER this is an rough ESTIMATION, the real price comes with the finalizing state done, but I try my best to keep it at it or the difference to be minimal.
- The basic price comes with mono-tone colored case, the case can be modified up to 4-way colored (for 4 pieces separately), of course there'll be small amount to be spent to get more color. Besides, what you get is 2 carbon fiber (CF) plate, one switch plate and one back case plate. A stand which create 7° slope is also included.

Not to mention, I also run separately a buy for CF UNIVERSAL 60% PLATE

Here's the surprise

About the CF plates I uses: What I use is 1.5mm CF plate, CNC'd to make the final MX switch plate like the photos you see here. This kind of CF is also a mix of carbon fiber and fiber glass, I called it carbon mix. So why mix? I chose them mainly because of the more unique characteristic of the final plate and that's what give a so much better feeling when typing compared to alu or SS. I don't know much about the CF but I think the mix type give the plate more flexibility in use, which makes a firm-like-SS plate but also have nice feedback. The feels is good, I just don't know how to word it. But if you go like WHY WOULD I WANT A MIX CARBON FIBER PLATE? worry not, I also have CF 3K (which is fully carbon) here, it has a nice matte look and I tell you what, it's rock solid  8)  I can make plate from either, so just come up with the one you like and I'll make it to the buy.

Also, worth noticing that the buy for CF universal 60% plate will most likely to go first. Why?

- the Weaven is still have issue to finalize before it goes fully confident.
- I want to run a buy for CF plate to have a test with the manufacturer about how they works under pressure of (not so) mass order. I want to make sure no big issue happened to the manufacturing process when the Weaven are made.
- The buy for CF plate can go online in just 1 week from this IC, of course if the interest is enough.
- The price is around $50-70 or maybe cheaper, depending on how many people joint.

So now you get an idea of what next, feel free to have opinion and show your interest to help this baby to go  live  :p
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: [IC] Codenam: Weaven and Universal 60% Carbon Fiber Plates
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:08:32 »
Only interest if Case.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Hzza

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:09:12 »
I'd more than likely take a plate with a view to getting a case whenever that happens. As for the material, you probably know best at this point, but the carbon mix sounds interesting. I'm not usually super keen on plate mounted boards generally but I'm really interested in trying a CF plate.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 10:34:16 »
I read the OP, but I'm not sure exactly which case design you are offering at this point (sorry!).  Is it the top and bottom style plate (the one you mentioned looks not so great), or this one below?

I would be very interested if it's the case style shown above.   :thumb:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 11:26:20 »
Interested 
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:01:55 »
Interested in everything.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:21:51 »
I'd be down for a case. If this succeeds I'll probably make my own plate and pcb for the split space 60% I've always wanted. 
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:27:56 »
I'm very interested, I like the Pok3r but lugging it around in a backpack on top of multiple thick ass books can add up. I'm curious to see how much of a weight different it makes.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 22:25:20 »
Watching with interest
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 00:28:20 »
I read the OP, but I'm not sure exactly which case design you are offering at this point (sorry!).  Is it the top and bottom style plate (the one you mentioned looks not so great), or this one below?

Show Image

Sorry for not clarifying this, the case is exactly like the one in the picture, which means has 4 pieces of aluminum bar and 2 CF plate and a stand :thumb:

The plate pictures I posted are just for those who want a normal universal 60% plate to use with standard poker, or other 60% case :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 00:29:13 »

Show Image

Sorry for not clarifying this, the case is exactly like the one in the picture, which means has 4 pieces of aluminum bar and 2 CF plate and a stand :thumb:

The plate pictures I posted are just for those who want a normal universal 60% plate to use with standard poker, or other 60% case :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:21:36 »
Interested. Could you show us a comparison pic of the mixed fibreglass + cf next to 3k cf?

Does lasering cf "melt" the weave when cut so that loose cf strands don't float about?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:42:02 »
I'd be down for a full kit.

Offline mattbox

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:59:02 »
it looks pretty neat, but I'm interested in how different it would feel and how strong it would be compared to a steel plate.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 02:50:22 »
I'd be down for a kit as long as I have money when you start the case GB.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 10:12:12 »
it looks pretty neat, but I'm interested in how different it would feel and how strong it would be compared to a steel plate.

Like OP said above, the plate has the firmness of SS but acts differently much like aluminum.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:19:53 »
I might be down for a kit as well (hopefully I can save up some extra money in time for the group buy, as I'm currently in the process of replacing my 7+ year old computer)

Do you have pictures of the stand that will raise the case?
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:31:16 »
Full kit for sure.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 02:32:13 »
I'd be interested if case as well

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 03:33:43 »
I'm interested CF 60% plates for my Poker. But I have a questions:
CF 60% plate 'll support Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers?
I got SS 60% plate but it only support costar & Cherry MX Plate mounted stabilizers. So I 'm interested this.

More
P/s: I can't see specific plates anywhere :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 03:58:30 by quochung1989 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:12:06 »

Show Image

Thanks for the response! Very interested.  :)  I love the look of that case.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:51:10 »
Interested, depending on finances at the time. Been wanting a carbon fiber plate recently.

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:39:48 »
Interested, depending on finances at the time. Been wanting a carbon fiber plate recently.

A CF plate is quite cheap i believe :3
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:41:45 »

A CF plate is quite cheap i believe :3

OP said:
- The price is around $50-70 or maybe cheaper, depending on how many people joint.

However I would love the full board!

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 02:02:21 »
Hey, as many of you guys asked for photos of the fully carbon plate, I'm having a new plated cut with that type of carbon fiber right now, but here's another project I'm working with it and you guys can have a clue how it's looked.

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 02:16:40 »
Hey, as many of you guys asked for photos of the fully carbon plate, I'm having a new plated cut with that type of carbon fiber right now, but here's another project I'm working with it and you guys can have a clue how it's looked.

Show Image

Looks nice indeed!

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline bluesoul

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 04:12:58 »
it looks great, any plan for some 68 keyboard?

Offline ika

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:41:05 »
Definitely interested in the case, and it looks like you would have the option to expand it slightly to include 65% keyboards by adding some length to the "long" pieces - or using an extender. Could be very interesting if done correctly!

Offline E3E

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:08:59 »
I'm in for 60% two plates and if a 75% plate is still something that you might consider, bazh, then that too. If the 75% comes around, then I might just get one 60% and one 75%.

Also, I'm very happy that you want to have quantity-based dynamic pricing too. That's awesome. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:11:30 by E3E »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:18:54 »
I am interested in a full set with an additional universal plate.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 02:53:11 »
Moarr photos on full carbon plate and comparison :P

Full

Mixed

Side by side

Bend test

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 19:31:37 »
Very cool, thanks for the pics. I'm really interested to type on a keyboard with a CF plate.  :thumb:

Offline just66in

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 11:52:19 »
Very interested in the case

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:01:31 »
Interested in a plate.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:10:33 »
One plate for me mate. Nice job.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:28:42 »
Post has been inactive for quite some time, any updates on the product?

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 08:29:01 »
Hello, I'm here,

Just got a little busy getting back to Finland and messing around with housing a past few days.

There's not much update actually except the fact that everything is nearly set now, I just need to check for the last time with the manufacturer as well as get some picture there about anod option for you guys and then GB is good to go. We're very close now. I'm excited as hell. Maybe another week and we'll good. :D

Ah, I also found this and this will be going to the final GB, really nice matte look :thumb:

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Hzza

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 08:41:21 »
Good stuff, can't wait :D.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:02:13 »
Exciting stuff, can't wait for the group buy!  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:49:08 »
Is the price estimation still around $200 or has it changed at all?

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 11:11:58 »

Ya it still around $200 :D
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 20:41:42 »
And plate?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:35:50 »
any update on this?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:47:54 »
Would these work with Alps or is the plate too thick for that?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline E3E

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:09:41 »
Would these work with Alps or is the plate too thick for that?

1.5mm Should work fine with Alps, as it works fine on the Infinity keyboard, however, I do not think this plate is Alps compatible.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:01:34 »

Your plates look good, but I feel like it would be hard to justify that price if LeandreN does any more runs of his Carbon Fiber plates, as I believe they were a good deal cheaper.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:08:24 »

Your plates look good, but I feel like it would be hard to justify that price if LeandreN does any more runs of his Carbon Fiber plates, as I believe they were a good deal cheaper.

$200 is the price for the kit, not for the plate. LeandreN's CF plate was $100 if I'm not mistaken.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:11:13 »
$200 is the price for the kit, not for the plate. LeandreN's CF plate was $100 if I'm not mistaken.

Oh geez, **** me for not reading the full thread. That's actually an awesome price for a kit, I would totally look into buying this.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:09:41 »
Been a lot of silence on here, hope everything is going ok. I'm still very much interested. :thumb:

Happy Holidays!

Offline ImAWildDeer

• All about that click clack
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:08:43 »
I'm a little late to the party, but that case is sick! I'd be super down for a full kit.
HHKB | Ergodox Infinity | OG Ergodox | Atreus | Planck | WASD V2  | Whitefox | TX1800 | F62