Poll

I will be attending KeyCon 2017 in Philadelphia.

YES  :D
48 (31.4%)
No  :(
48 (31.4%)
Maybe  ^-^
43 (28.1%)
Maybe not  :-\
1 (0.7%)
I don't even know  :confused:
13 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: KeyCon 2017!! --> OVER  (Read 218307 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
KeyCon 2017!! --> OVER
« on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:11:48 »
Join us June 24th in Philadelphia for KeyCon 2017!!!  :)

More
2017/03/05: Date poll is done!  :D  June 23-25 is the tentative winner, pending confirmation from att1cus.  ^-^

2017/02/22: Date poll is up!  :thumb:  Get those votes in!  ^-^

KeyCon will be taking place in Philadelphia, PA this year! 

2017/02/12: City poll is up!  We have organizers for three cities so far:

Austin - XMIT
More
Y'all come down to Texas. :))

If we host it in Austin:

1. I can partner with TechShop as a venue. I can run info sessions on injection molding, CNC milling, 3D printing, soldering, welding, painting, and laser cutting using their facilities.
2. You can see my keyboard collection in person. https://goo.gl/photos/5phzWXQMQZ9jwcvD9. I've got a truck and can bring as many boards as people want to see.
3. I'll smoke a brisket. Seriously. It takes a day but it's amazing.
4. It's warm in the winter.

I'll show up if it's in Dallas or San Antonio for sure.
Plus - I can't promise this at all but there could be a little field trip to a good vintage finds place in Kerrville (2 hours) or a recycling facility in Dallas (3 hours). If it happens I've got a car that can haul seven adults plus me.
I'll put together a better pitch later but, by comparison, Austin will be warmer, have better BBQ, have more access to heavy machining facilities at TechShop, and maybe a little cheaper for lodging. But it also won't be as friendly for walking. Downtown is super friendly for walking, but the airport and the venue are not that close and will require cabs or ride shares to get around.

It seems like folks are more excited about the Philly option and that's fine but again I probably won't be able to make it up depending on the date.

Philadelphia - att1cus
More
Reasons for keycon 2017 in Philly:

Facilities:
I work for Villanova university in Villanova, PA.  My job at VU is to help record and stream classes and events out to external students and interested parties, so I can stream this event live assuming we’re in an equipped room.  If we’re not in an equipped room, we can simply use a laptop and USB webcam to stream the event live on twitch.  As an employee, I can reserve classrooms on campus at any time, so long as they have not already been booked.  The facilities have AC/heat, wifi and Ethernet access, projectors with audio access, and plenty of rest rooms.  Campus also houses several dining halls for dining options during convention hours.  Parking at campus is free and convenient for transporting things to/from your car to the room(s) we choose.  I can even reserve other individual classrooms in case we are interested in doing break-out workshops (I.E. soldering 101). 

Transit: printed guides will be provided if you need them
Driving:
The campus has its own exit off of I-476, which has a close connection to I-95.  Commuting there will be very easy with GPS if you decide to drive.  As mentioned above, there will be plenty of free parking.

Trains:
Villanova has their own train station on the Paoli/Thorndale regional rail line, provided by SEPTA. 30th street station in Philly is an Amtrak and SEPTA station, and is a major hub for interstate trains as well as the local regional rail trains.  Commuters can take an Amtrak train to 30th street station in Philly and then ride the regional rail train from there directly to Villanova’s campus.

Flights:
The philly international airport is directly on I-95 for anyone who wants to fly in and rent a car.  There is also a regional rail train that will take you directly to 30th street station in center city philly, where you can switch to the paoli/thorndale regional trail train and ride directly to campus.

Lodging:
There are several area hotels surrounding Villanova university, as well as plenty of hotels in the city.  I live about .5 miles from the campus, and can host 1 or 2 guests at my place.

Food:
Several on-campus dining halls and tons of options for eating around campus.  Restaurants for every palette: Chinese, Japanese, pizza/hoagies/steaks, wings, middle eastern, vegan, etc.  Also many, many restaurant options in the city and at KOP mall. 

Bars:
Lots of bars in walking distance to the campus.

Attractions:
Several museums in Philadelphia, including a display at UPenn on ENIAC – the first computer ever made.  King of Prussia mall is also close by, and is one of the largest malls in the country, with tons of restaurants and higher-end retailers, plus an awesome movie theater.  Their site has all their details: http://www.simon.com/mall/king-of-prussia . There are also many local historic sites, such as Valley Forge park in close proximity.  There’s also pro sporting events and music in the city if you are interested in those types of events while here.

San Francisco - Dominathan/jal
More
I'd be willing to host in SF, if people would want to do it here (I know the Massdrop HQ keyboard meetup is also here).  My apartment building has a rentable space that could definitely work well.  Plus, I'm right next to BART.
Heck, I'd help with that, too, and could offer similar access to Techshop demos as has been discussed for Austin.

But given people have complained about the potential costs for doing this in the DC area, I'm pretty sure it is a nonstarter, given that we're in a neck-and-neck race with Manhattan for Most Expensive City. Also, we're pretty much as far left as you can go on the map, meaning worse flights for everyone <waves> over there.

That said, if for some reason folks wanted to do it, I'd love that and could throw effort and some resources at it.

The poll will be active for 1 week, starting 2017/02/12.

A new year is upon us, so a new KeyCon shall be planned.  I'd like to have a dedicated organizer this year, to ensure that the plans don't fall through.  Let's start the discussion by picking a location, keeping in mind that we will need someone to run the show and make things go smoothly. 

So with that - where do we want to meet up??

If you aren't familiar with KeyCon, check out the KeyCon 2015 subforum for some details on what it's all about.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:43:42 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: KeyCon 2017!!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:22:07 »
I have no recommendation, but am going to try my damndest to attend this year.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:22:47 »
I have no recommendation, but am going to try my damndest to attend this year.

+1

Just poor timing last year for me, hoping this year works out better

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:38:38 »
As long as the drive isn't too bad I'll be there!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:40:02 »
I do think the most logical choice would be Chicago.  I know there are a lot of people nearby that can help with planning, and its been done there quite a few times.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:52:46 »
Chicago would be nice but it'd be fun to change it up for 2017
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 19:00:56 »
Keycon Cancun 2017

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 20:38:14 »
Chicago or Indianapolis. Indy being within striking distance of Chicago, Cincy, Columbus, Louisville,  even St Louis.
keyboards.

Offline dante

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:44:12 »
Wisconsin or Chicago

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 22:05:33 »
I'm interested.

One flipped artisan could buy me a plane ride to Chicago...   :))

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 22:31:56 »
 I would choose Austin Texas. Pretty centrally located, local for a lot of GHers,  and most important (for me), close enough for me to visit my family. :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 22:41:06 »
Depends on time and location. School definitely didn't let me go last year, but I'm hoping it won't be as chaotic this time around. I hope cptbadass makes it so we can go to Galloping Ghost if it's in Chicago, but anywhere that's easiest for all would be grand.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 00:37:42 »
Vegas is always a cheap place to fly... Chicago, New York, or Atlanta isnt bad either. Although Asheville, Austin, Portland, etc are awesome places, its difficult for a lot of people to get there easily.
-Dana

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:11:32 »
Chicago or Indianapolis. Indy being within striking distance of Chicago, Cincy, Columbus, Louisville,  even St Louis.

For the sake of change, I recommend someplace other than Chicago.  I think more southernly destination with cheaper flights from around the nation is a good idea, like Vegas, Texas, or Florida.

And somebody always says Indianapolis.  Nobody wants to visit Indianapolis unless they have to.  In addition, Indy is not a hub airport and does not have cheap flights from most locations.  Having a KeyCon there will not attract very many people, unless, of course, myself and a couple other people decide to go absolutely nuts with planning the best most awesome KeyCon ever and nobody will care if it's in some boring Midwest town.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:14:17 »
And Reddit really seems to be a catalyst for various regional meetups these days, which I believe has reduced the popularity of the national meetup.  Just a thought.

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:21:59 »
I hope cptbadass makes it so we can go to Galloping Ghost if it's in Chicago, but anywhere that's easiest for all would be grand.

The Galloping Ghost has rooms that can be rented for parties and such.  Maybe I'm being paranoid but the big question is if everyone goes off into groups to go play games who is going to watch the boards?  Having to carry your keyboard around from game to game is a PITA.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:22:19 »
I'd be down for Las Vegas.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:25:09 »
In for wherever hopefully

Offline mniels

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 08:40:22 »
Our nation's Capitol, maybe?  Two airports, lots of flight choices, and more possible locations than you can shake a stick at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 09:36:49 »
Our nation's Capitol, maybe?  Two airports, lots of flight choices, and more possible locations than you can shake a stick at.

Also expensive AF for places to stay (or at least what people that have traveled there recently have told me).

Offline mniels

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 09:59:44 »

Also expensive AF for places to stay (or at least what people that have traveled there recently have told me).

I can't  imagine that it would be any more expensive then say, Chicago.  Plus, you could do it in Arlington or Alexandria which would be less expensive and you are still only a 5 minute Metro from the city if you want to do some sight seeing.  And those areas by themselves are great and have lots to do.  Just a thought.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:09:20 »

I can't  imagine that it would be any more expensive then say, Chicago.  Plus, you could do it in Arlington or Alexandria which would be less expensive and you are still only a 5 minute Metro from the city if you want to do some sight seeing.  And those areas by themselves are great and have lots to do.  Just a thought.

This. It doesn't have to be held right downtown near the capitol or anything. There are plenty of nearby places around DC and northern VA that would be fun and very affordable for this type of event. Group tours of the area would be a nice side benefit.

"KC DC" make it happen! =)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:11:20 »
YAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:12:54 »
This. It doesn't have to be held right downtown near the capitol or anything. There are plenty of nearby places around DC and northern VA that would be fun and very affordable for this type of event. Group tours of the area would be a nice side benefit.

If going coastal is an option, Bay Area! The weather doesn't suck. I can find a cheap warehouse space in Oakland to hold it in.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:39:46 »
I vote Philadelphia, i'll buy u all tastykakes and wawa coffee.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 11:59:29 »

Wawa coffee <3

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:28:26 »

No more expensive than other major cities, IME.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:29:15 »

I'd vote for Philadelphia

Offline dante

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:38:45 »
What is tastykakes and why is it so uncomfortably close to bukake?

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:44:22 »
Y'all can shoot me down, but... Cleveland!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline mniels

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:50:25 »

"KC DC" make it happen! =)

See, even has a nice rhyming acronym!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
KeyCon 2017!!
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:03:50 »
The NoVa/Metro DC area actually wouldn't be too bad. There seems to be quite a lot of geekhackers in and around that area.

Sheetz
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:05:27 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline dante

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:07:20 »
When you say tastykakes are you referring to those things that look like hostess clones?

Offline BobsBoss

• *Da Boss*
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 21:40:55 »
Atlanta would be awesome. I have family there so, I would be able to make the con no doubt.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 22:07:17 »
A new year is upon us, so a new KeyCon shall be planned.  I'd like to have a dedicated organizer this year, to ensure that the plans don't fall through.  Let's start the discussion by picking a location, keeping in mind that we will need someone to run the show and make things go smoothly. 

So with that - where do we want to meet up??

If you aren't familiar with KeyCon, check out the KeyCon 2015 subforum for some details on what it's all about.  ^-^

DALLAS TEXAS!!!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 23:45:59 »

We were just there for New Years and paid $119 a night for a Hilton in DuPont. Thats $200 less per night than what we paid in Asheville, NC last April. Your real expense if for those who have to fly as National or Dulles arent hubs and flights can get pricey. I can definitely help with setting up a DC meet though. I'm from there, family is still there, we go often and have plenty of local hookups.
-Dana

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 03:11:46 »
Australia?
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline MrWafoz

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 10:59:29 »
Although I live in a suburb of Chicago and if it were here it would make my first keycon easy, it seems that the general consensus is not Chi-town so I would vote D.C. area. And out of curiosity are there age restriction on this event. I.e. 21+

Offline mniels

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 11:31:39 »

We were just there for New Years and paid $119 a night for a Hilton in DuPont. Thats $200 less per night than what we paid in Asheville, NC last April. Your real expense if for those who have to fly as National or Dulles arent hubs and flights can get pricey. I can definitely help with setting up a DC meet though. I'm from there, family is still there, we go often and have plenty of local hookups.

I am super new to the forum, so I am not the one who should run with the ball on this or anything, but if we do go with DC I am happy to lend a hand with whatever I can (I did suggest DC originally, after all!)

I am outside of the city in Leesburg and am in the Tyson's Corner and Arlington areas pretty frequently for work, so I can handle some boots on the ground assistance if DC ends up as the consensus.

FYI, with the Metro system expanded Tysons might be another area to consider.  Lots of convention space in about every price range you can imagine, and now there are two Metro stations that are accessible by foot from a lot of the spots in the area.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:04:04 »
SF Bay Area is my vote, but with enough lead time, I can probably attend wherever it is. I am glad we are have this discussion right as 2017 starts though.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:45:20 »
I'm down.  +1 for Wawa Tastey Kakes and Pat's Cheesesteaks (Philly), ATL, or Bay Area.  Denver/Vegas are decent hubs in the West if you guys want to move it westward.  I live in Portland, so unless it's CA, Seattle, Vegas, Phoenix, or Denver, I'm going to be paying $500 in airfare alone.  I'm used to it though.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:03:56 »
And out of curiosity are there age restriction on this event. I.e. 21+

No, I was 18 at the first keycon I went to.

The only hiccup caused by my age was not being able to got to any barcades.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 07:08:58 »
Mby a bit OT but when is it planned? I'm visiting the US over the summer, so I can adjust my trip if Keycon is running while I'm there :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 08:07:41 »

I am super new to the forum, so I am not the one who should run with the ball on this or anything, but if we do go with DC I am happy to lend a hand with whatever I can (I did suggest DC originally, after all!)

I am outside of the city in Leesburg and am in the Tyson's Corner and Arlington areas pretty frequently for work, so I can handle some boots on the ground assistance if DC ends up as the consensus.

FYI, with the Metro system expanded Tysons might be another area to consider.  Lots of convention space in about every price range you can imagine, and now there are two Metro stations that are accessible by foot from a lot of the spots in the area.

Northern VA represent! I'm based in the Vienna area. Happy to provide some logistics support if it ends up in DC.

Maybe we can have a local VA/MD/DC meet up anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of folks from around the northeast and mid-atlantic that might have interest.

Anyway, here's hoping for KC DC. =)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 12:43:35 »
If people are tired of Chicago, I vote Vegas.  Cheap flights, dirt cheap lodging, tons to do.  Would give me a nice excuse to go back; haven't been in some time.

Philly kind of fits all the necessary criteria.  Large enough airport and close proximity to the I95 mega dense population for easy driving for lots of people.  Moderate lodging costs right in the heart of the city, plenty to do outside of the con, lots of good food (dalessandro's anyone?????).

DC isn't much more expensive than other large cities for lodging and there's plenty to do. I don't think you'd need to host it outside the city to keep costs down, but you could stay outside due to the metro.  Flights aren't as cheap though, so that's a down side.  Anyone from this area can drive to Philly instead.  :p

The Rockies alone are enough to draw me to Denver.. don't care about anything else!
keyboards.

Offline dante

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:03:56 »
Although I prefer Wisconsin/Chicago ...
- If cheap flights are available
- It's on a weekend
- A couple of months notice is given
- A potential to share a ride
- Most importantly the food isn't going to suck

I would go with Denver or East Coast.

Did I mention the food isn't going to suck?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:15:06 »
I am always going to recommend San Diego.  Tons of good food, cheap lodging, and most importantly killer weather. 

If not, I also say Vegas.  With a couple months notice, the flight is downright cheap (although I would still probably drive - carpool anyone?).  The new downtown area is actually pretty nice, and if we go in the fall, the weather is pretty nice.   
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:13:56 »
Alright, I guess DC is okay then and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:25:23 »
Vegas would be fun but if we're going there we should wait until September (I turn 21 on August 21st  :p )

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:26:17 »
I vote for Seattle! and Philly!