Author Topic: ErgoDAH - Datahand funct. replica with ergonomic improvements and adjustability  (Read 6944 times)

Offline iso

The original thread is here - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41422.0 - Which I kind of inadvertently muddied with my take on this device.
Got 3 ballheads - One lets me adjust the position/angle of the swithes support, second, the whole assembly moves to whatever angle needs to be, clamped to the chair armrest or to a desk, third, the hand support piece angles independelntly for maximum comfort.
The main piece is slotted so the whole device goes up/down relative what is attached to.

Ths is work in process, unless asked I wont upload the files just yet.

To do:
I want to fuse all 5 switches with the switch plate so there are less parts to assemble and prone to breaking.
Make the center button/switch easier to assemble, althought I made it work, is hard to put it together, not alot of tolerance/room for mistakes, the switch pressing area is 1mm wide, less than 1mm travel distance and fairly sensitive.

Offline tinyenormous

this is great! keep up the good work. I can't wait until you get this polished up!

Offline nevin

WOW!... you've been busy between your projects. looks great. what for switches? the lever switches?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline iso

User RSanders - Picture of the original DataHand
More can be found by googling images of that, foot switches, right hand layout, etc... this was a very expensive keyboard, over 2k. He explained that the switches cluster for each finger is a nightmare to clean and several times he broke some of the plastics.

Switches I used are SKU: 549552579030 - Sometimes they show up on eBay, like 20/$5 shipped from China
Levers are 3d printed to fit inside the cluster, need to make them shorter, will update soon.

Offline iso

Temporarely added a teensy and wired some of the buttons, I can see why the learning curve is a deal killer and why the company failed to stay in business, I havent tried the device sitting on the desk but attached to the arm rest, out of all input devices I`ve ever tried/made, this is by far the most confortable.
BUT... I`m only building this to play video games, typing on this is VERY hard, mainly because of the lateral finger movement, not pressing down and the user HAS to use modifiers.

Offline nevin

i see. mice switches. was wondering what switches would fit in there... i saw the diodes on the legs of the switches. those must be pretty stiff for that application, unless your levers help compensate.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

BUT... I`m only building this to play video games, typing on this is VERY hard, mainly because of the lateral finger movement, not pressing down and the user HAS to use modifiers.

yep. the more ergo you go (less switches) the more complicated getting all your characters becomes (more complicated keymap layers). this is one reason i like larger ergo boards (60-75 switches).

Offline iso

Been busy yes, the other keyboard would have been done long ago if I would not have to build other diff. hardware just so I can continue, 3d printed a linear stage on a heavy duty ballhead, I needed that so I can clamp down the full keyboard in any position, helps with soldering ALOT  then I needed a illuminated loupe with high magnification, those JTag headers pins are darn small and flimsy.

Sound like a mouse yes hah.