Author Topic: Knuckle Cracking  (Read 32387 times)

Offline Amarok

Knuckle Cracking
« on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 14:58:21 »
I'm not sure if this is the proper section to post in, but since it directly relates to using a keyboard and other input devices I think it will fit.

Has anyone who regularly cracked their knuckles for years stopping doing it and noticed a significant benefit? I've cracked my knuckles for as long as I can remember and now if I don't crack them they start to ache. There's a wealth of information on the internet saying that knuckle cracking is harmless and others saying it's destroying your hands.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Re: Knuckle Cracking
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 15:08:22 »
Personally I believe the version that says cracking is just popping air. Though I hardly ever crack my knuckles and mostly crack my elbows and wrists. But the same seems to apply to these; I can only do it once in a while and I can't do it during summer, only when it's cold.

|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 15:09:14 »
Cracked them multiple times daily for like 15 years and no problems. But yeah it doesnt ache if I don't they just feel 'tight'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 15:47:14 »
If I don't crack certain of my knuckles long enough it gets to the point where they crack automatically just from my using the finger normally.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 17:03:57 »
I personally crack my neck on habit. I don't have any problems... yet. :P I really think that everyone is just all worried for nothing. :)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 17:24:45 »
I don't think there's any problem with it except it feels great. I used to pop my knuckles, stopped for sometime, now they won't even pop anymore. Still pop my neck though.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 17:33:20 »
I stopped doing it on purpose. I ahve to do it in the morning for the elbows  and sometimes other joints to stretch out.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 17:35:33 »
I crack my back, neck, knuckles, knees, ankles, and toes almost every day.  I do it almost religiously.  Every day I have to crack my neck and knuckles, and then I feel so much better when I do.  I think the whole "cracking your knuckles gives you arthritis" is an old wive's tale, personally...

Is it bad if when I crack my neck it sounds like someone is making popcorn?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:24:43 »
I've been cracking knuckles and wrists and I have aches in these areas now, so I now think it's a harmful habit. If I do it too often in a day, the aches get worse. It's certainly not "air", come on, how much air is inside our fingers that would cause so much noise? Clearly with many of these movements some heavy stress and friction is exerted on the joints.
If you can't break the habit, at least doing it in moderation (no more than once or twice a day) is probably a good idea.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:43:51 »
Cracked them multiple times daily for like 15 years and no problems. But yeah it doesnt ache if I don't they just feel 'tight'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Same for me.  Typing is a little more sluggish and my hands just don't move right.  I crackle and it's like a tension spring is released.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 21:15:56 »
I crack my knuckles a lot, but not all the time. Sometimes I'll go a while (Days?) without doing it. My finger have over 200 degrees of flexibility, and demonstrating that cracks them.

I crack some uncommon joints, shoulder (when driving), and where the clavicle meets the sternum (though I can't do that one often). I can also partially dislocate my sholuders.
--
To be honest, my knuckles poke out a lot, but that might be because of my odd hand structure (or gonotics, both my brothers don't, and their knuckles stick out a little too) than popping joints.

Anyone pop the joins on one hand? I wonder if it makes a difference for them when typing.

Offline Piro

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 07:55:47 »
I crack my knuckles, but mainly because if I don't, the joints feel weird somehow, as if they simply need to be cracked, rather than out of some habit. Hard to explain, but I'm sure others have had the same experience.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 09:16:07 »
wow, this seems like a circle jerk of knuckle cracklers.. ;D

I think knuckle crackling is similar to acupuncture, the slight pain releases endorphins and desensitizes the sensors that causes persistent pain.

Rest assure, the pain will come back if whatever caused it in the first place continues to occur.

Now, onto whatever caused the pain in the first place, well that's obvious, since none of us was designed for 8 hours of computer sitting in front of a computer.

Offline Piro

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 09:18:59 »
8 hours? Damn, I spend longer than that a day, but anyway, I agree with that part, but the cause being that? Not so much - I'm pretty sure people have been cracking knuckles before computers were ever around ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 09:49:16 »
8 hours? Damn, I spend longer than that a day, but anyway, I agree with that part, but the cause being that? Not so much - I'm pretty sure people have been cracking knuckles before computers were ever around ;)

No i don't mean the knuckle crackling is the cause of the pain.. I'm saying improper use of the "body" in general.

In concordance with your theory, people have also been doing things like "sitting" for eight hours a day in the distant past.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 11:38:10 »
I asked a chiropractor about this once, and pointed out that it does make my fingers feel 'better'. He said that whenever your 'crack' a joint it releases endorphins of some kind. But he also said that moving the joints out of place will also create this pleasurable feeling, so... crack at your own risk. My wife looks at my index fingers (which curve away from each other alarmingly) and swears that it's a result of my finger cracking.

Who knows. I think the cause of brain freeze might have a higher precedence.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 11:41:16 »
I crack upper and lower finger joints at least 3-4 times a day. I was always told off by my parents if they heard ... hopefully its more a tale than anything !

Offline Amarok

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:13:41 »
I spoke with a chiropractor once about cracking joints in general and he seemed reluctant to give me a definite answer. One of the things he told me was bending your joints past their natural stopping point can stretch your tendons and leave you with less strength in that joint that before, but only if you do this over and over.

He did mention that the actual "crack" is just a release of gas from the point and is harmless in itself. So maybe the method of cracking is what can be actually be damaging, which could help explain why there are so many different opinions, since there are countless ways to get a joint to crack.

I've been making an effort to stop cracking my neck recently and I can usually go half the day or so before I can't stand the stiffness anymore and have to crack it. :(
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:34:17 »
I spoke with a chiropractor once about cracking joints in general and he seemed reluctant to give me a definite answer.

Exactly! My chiropractor (perhaps realizing that what he does is essentially 'cracking' people's joints) just said that 'cracking' any joint feels good, regardless of whether the 'cracking' (they call it 'adjusting') puts the joint back into alignment or out of alignment. So we're not all amateur chiropractors when we crack our knuckles. We could be putting our fingers (or necks) out of alignment or into alignment and either way it's going to feel like an improvement. But it isn't necessarily an improvement.

Chiropractors! Bunch of quacks!

(Just a joke, chiropractors are good people.)
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: Knuckle Cracking
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:00:48 »
I spoke with a chiropractor once about cracking joints in general and he seemed reluctant to give me a definite answer.

Exactly! My chiropractor (perhaps realizing that what he does is essentially 'cracking' people's joints) just said that 'cracking' any joint feels good, regardless of whether the 'cracking' (they call it 'adjusting') puts the joint back into alignment or out of alignment. So we're not all amateur chiropractors when we crack our knuckles. We could be putting our fingers (or necks) out of alignment or into alignment and either way it's going to feel like an improvement. But it isn't necessarily an improvement.

They might be good people but they are still quacks.

Offline Flare03

• "Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate"
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:45:10 »
Yeah, I crack my knucles a lot too and yeah I find that if I don't crack them for a while it feels really stiff, like uhh if I was a robot and my joints needed oil in them to move properly...sorta
Ooh, so this is what a signature is O_O

Offline Appeac

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:57:47 »

Depends on how much they say their services help. I like massages and adjustments because they feel good, and the people I get them from agree that they are not healers, nor are there mysterious energies within the body that modern science has yet to unlock.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:32:21 »
^ Yep. I agree. Also, we have similar boards! Is your Leo black or white?

Offline Appeac

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:36:35 »
^ Yep. I agree. Also, we have similar boards! Is your Leo black or white?

It's definitely black. They can be fraternal twins.
FC660C

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:15:35 »
Lol. I love mine in white. Gets some better looks that way. :P

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:18:34 »
I crack my knuckles a lot.. just did it after I saw this thread¯\(°_o)/¯.
My wrists crack themselves a lot when I bend them, so do my knees.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:07:14 »
I asked a chiropractor about this once, and pointed out that it does make my fingers feel 'better'. He said that whenever your 'crack' a joint it releases endorphins of some kind. But he also said that moving the joints out of place will also create this pleasurable feeling, so... crack at your own risk. My wife looks at my index fingers (which curve away from each other alarmingly) and swears that it's a result of my finger cracking.

Who knows. I think the cause of brain freeze might have a higher precedence.

What? but we Know exactly what causes brain freeze. Because the cold fluid/ slush going down your throat absorbs heat from the arteries that supply your brain,

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:07:37 »
I crack my knuckles a lot.. just did it after I saw this thread¯\(°_o)/¯.
My wrists crack themselves a lot when I bend them, so do my knees.

you're gonna die, get help ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:09:08 »

Yea dude, chiropractors are "not" medical doctors. Almost all of them will utter something along the lines of "i'll CURE you" There's no such thing.

Same goes for acupuncture, EPIC quacks...

Offline harrison

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:36:32 »
i crack EVERYTHING, and frequently.  knuckles, neck, shoulders, back (upper, mid, and lower), hips, knees, ankles and toes.  i was actively attending a chiropractor from about the age for 4 through my late teens... now i go about 2-3 times a year as i feel i need it.

i did at one point try and stop, but found it more frustrating and felt tension and aches in my joints within about 2-3 days.  i didn't see a point in not doing it, and have experienced nothing adverse from doing so.
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline Appeac

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 17:29:06 »

What? but we Know exactly what causes brain freeze. Because the cold fluid/ slush going down your throat absorbs heat from the arteries that supply your brain,

I thought the prevailing hypothesis was that nerves were being either 'numbed" or "overstimulated" and the feeling is them "waking up" or "coming back down" similar to your leg falling asleep.

Yea dude, chiropractors are "not" medical doctors. Almost all of them will utter something along the lines of "i'll CURE you" There's no such thing.

I met a yoga instructor that thought that yoga cured cancer. Doesn't mean stretching isn't good for you. find one that knows science and you'll findthey're much easier to get along with.
FC660C

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 19:59:29 »

I thought the prevailing hypothesis was that nerves were being either 'numbed" or "overstimulated" and the feeling is them "waking up" or "coming back down" similar to your leg falling asleep.

I met a yoga instructor that thought that yoga cured cancer. Doesn't mean stretching isn't good for you. find one that knows science and you'll findthey're much easier to get along with.

What?  Oh you're talking about the Nerve stuff, yea, jury is still out on that, I though you were talking about where the freeze happens.

And if chiropractors were as good as you give them credit for, they'd be "DOCTORS" , but that doesn't seem to be the case  :p

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 10:48:29 »

Hear, hear!  Nothing but glorified physical therapists at best, insured ducks at worst.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline neeb

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:36:24 »
I regularly crack my knuckles and my back and they always feel better after I do. For me I kind of go by "listen to your body" if something doesn't feel quite right and feels better after cracking, i think it's fine

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 05:13:17 »
Ive cracked everything for about 10 years, and i dont notice anything, my thumb get sore sometimes if i get a good pop but i dunno xD
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 10:13:22 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 16:15:17 by esoomenona »

Offline Bry

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 14:23:03 »
I go to town on my wrists, neck, back, ankles, fingers, and whatever I can make go POP.

It's fine.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 08:14:10 »
I crack my finger knuckles all the time and everything was fine... until one day my whole arm just fell off.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 12:57:57 »
I crack my finger knuckles all the time and everything was fine... until one day my whole arm just fell off.

A risk one must be willing to take for that satisfying pop.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 20:23:48 »
I crack my knuckles maybe once every 2-3 days. My "bad" knee cracks, on its own, 20 times a year, and 90% of the time I wish it didn't. The other 10% I am glad that it did.

My wife works for the Arthritis Foundation (editor of their magazine, Arthritis Today). There is no complete agreement amongst the "authorities" which are revolving panels of specialists who answer the questions members submit, so the Foundation does not make any firm recommendation.

Bottom line: probably OK although probably not "good" (depending on how you define "good" as short-term or long-term).

The "pop" we hear is air bubbles trapped in the joints. To be there in the first place, and/or to get released, probably means that there is some play or looseness in the ligaments. Looseness in the ligaments is not generally a good thing, and stretching them regularly can only make them looser.

So, be careful and remember the ancient saying amongst doctors: "First, Do No Harm"

Crack if you have to, but don't if you don't.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
Knuckle Cracking
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 20:55:57 »
I feel the need to crack every knuckle before starting my typing routine in the morning. It's like stretching everything that is still half asleep.

On my last job, we had laboral gymnastics (or whatever the right term is) and all of the physiotherapists who oriented it said it was nothing but an 'extreme' stretch. Nowadays, I feel like I need it.
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Knuckle Cracking
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 21:46:10 »
My knuckles don't crack, which I am quite pleased about as I wince heavily every time I hear someone else crack theirs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline emptythecache

• out.
Knuckle Cracking
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 21:58:26 »
I do my knuckles, toes (when I have my shoes off), back, and neck. My neck is often so loud it provokes terrified looks from my coworkers.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:34:40 »
I crack fingers at the knuckles and the other smaller joint, wrists, crack my thumbs back, each toe twice, all the other toes, waist and back, neck, and knees. That's my full routine lol
I love Elzy

Offline Lanx

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:13:32 »
chiropractors are not MD's but fall into "alternative medicine", which basically means they'll do "something" charge you money and we hope that our brain "fixes" it. Are they quacks? well they probably provide a service, ppl feeling good after a good "crack" session then not so much anymore sounds like endorphins, heck it sounds like a drug dealer.

it's no different than acupuncture, hot air cup things, and those silly ppl who wear those magnet bracelets.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:35:09 »
Actually, acupuncture has scientific validation behind it, unlike chiropractic and many other "alternative" treatments.

The thing is though, the "ancient chinese" nonsense associated with it, and things like meridians and acupuncture points are quackery.

But it's been validated that using acupuncture needles near the area causing pain does provide measurable benefits.

Studies have shown that there is no difference in effectiveness between someone trained in ancient chinese acupuncture techniques, and an unskilled person sticking needles in the general area, but the treatments are effective in reducing chronic pain. (claims of treating anything else are quackery though)

chiropractors are not MD's but fall into "alternative medicine", which basically means they'll do "something" charge you money and we hope that our brain "fixes" it. Are they quacks? well they probably provide a service, ppl feeling good after a good "crack" session then not so much anymore sounds like endorphins, heck it sounds like a drug dealer.

it's no different than acupuncture, hot air cup things, and those silly ppl who wear those magnet bracelets.
Chiropractic is potentially very dangerous with some of the manipulations they perform. I would not let anyone I know see a chiropractor.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:37:02 by NKRO »

Offline tcv

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 06:13:00 »
I've cracked my knuckles since I can remember.

There's never been any change if I did it or didn't do it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 11:24:31 »
Eastern medicine is totally different from Western medicine.

I do not understand it, but it has proven (at least partially) successful for thousands of years, so I would not call it quackery.

PS - my father was a doctor and I have spent my life around American medicine. the system is hopelessly broken but the science isn't.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline NKRO

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 03:22:49 »
Eastern medicine is totally different from Western medicine.

I do not understand it, but it has proven (at least partially) successful for thousands of years, so I would not call it quackery.
It's pretty much all been through scientific testing. The stuff that works is called medicine. The stuff that doesn't is quackery. "Ancient Chinese" whatever or "Eastern medicine" is no different from old wives tales.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 12:32:32 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:29:10 by davkol »