Author Topic: Flat or Contoured?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Flat or Contoured?
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 08:46:44 »
Hey GHers

Which you choose kibord keycaps profile Flat or Contoured?
Flat like DSA Profile,laptop,Rubber domeKB.etc
Contoured most all mecha keyboard

Your answer will be helpful
Thanks

Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Findecanor

Re: Flat or Contoured?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:13:05 »
I prefer flat backplane with contoured keys.

A few years ago I posted a thread asking the same question, but with more options: Curved backplane with angled keys, flat backplane with contoured keys, flat backplane with staircase keys, flat and chiclet.

Curved backplane with staircase keys won the vote. Back then Cherry MX keyboards were not as dominant as today, and I got the impression that most voters used the IBM Model M, which has this profile.
Flat backplane with contoured keys got second place.
51175-0

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:33:57 »
I prefer flat backplane with contoured keys.

A few years ago I posted a thread asking the same question, but with more options: Curved backplane with angled keys, flat backplane with contoured keys, flat backplane with staircase keys, flat and chiclet.

Curved backplane with staircase keys won the vote. Back then Cherry MX keyboards were not as dominant as today, and I got the impression that most voters used the IBM Model M, which has this profile.
Flat backplane with contoured keys got second place.
(Attachment Link)
Yeah,nice but Curved BP the shaped from body keyboard,any keyboard uses profile you mean? i think hhkb looks similar
i see many keyboard uses staircase
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:47:09 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 13:19:59 »
Kinesis Advantage... it's a mess, but sooo comfy!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:12:35 »
Yeah, the Kinesis is unusual.. It has both a curved backplane (per column) and contoured keys.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:14:47 »
I'm probably a total outlier here, but I would love to see a full set of MX flat/chiclet keys. After typing on laptops for so long, it's become natural for me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:21:51 »
I'm probably a total outlier here, but I would love to see a full set of MX flat/chiclet keys. After typing on laptops for so long, it's become natural for me.

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/new-t-and-z-series-key-caps-at-qwerkeys-t7166.html

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:49:19 »
Man...why couldn't they just make normal square ones lol. That is so ugly!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 17:51:17 »
Rapoo KX has backlit chiclet keys ... except for touchscreen keys for function keys.
Reports have told that it uses a clone of Cherry MX that is in-between MX Black and Red.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 17:55:51 »
Now those are pretty. And I happen to be in a backlight stage right now. Not bad. Now all we need is a GB for a full set of those caps. :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:01:21 »
Rapoo KX has backlit chiclet keys ... except for touchscreen keys for function keys.
Reports have told that it uses a clone of Cherry MX that is in-between MX Black and Red.

Ooo they've got a yellow set too :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 19:00:36 »
Now those are pretty. And I happen to be in a backlight stage right now. Not bad. Now all we need is a GB for a full set of those caps. :D

Those were only renders. I'm afraid it would be like the other Rappoo in actuality... and that quality was horrible.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 20:09:01 »
Keyboards like my women, a few sexy, shapely contoured curves in the right places, but no more than what is necessary.

Soft ain't sexy, and no one wants a soft keyboard.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:39:49 »
Keyboards like my women, a few sexy, shapely contoured curves in the right places, but no more than what is necessary.

Does that include a curved backplane?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 23:58:46 »

Does that include a curved backplane?

Absolutely :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline neun_sechs_zwei

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 00:13:18 »

I agree, it is the end-all. It even has some extra keys I just realized I can do something with!

But I like variety, which is why I now have a WASD at home... hard to beat two days ordered to in my hands when I had this itch to scratch.

Nice to learn about all these keyboards here, though...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 00:25:10 »

I agree, it is the end-all. It even has some extra keys I just realized I can do something with!

But I like variety, which is why I now have a WASD at home... hard to beat two days ordered to in my hands when I had this itch to scratch.

Nice to learn about all these keyboards here, though...

…and all the custom stuff you can do to them (especially the Kinesis Advantage)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 02:44:22 »
I like both curved backplane with staircase caps and flat backplane with contoured caps. They both provide a surface which feels more natural than a flat plane with flat keys, although I can use a flat / flat board just fine (MacBook Pro chiclet).

I like Maltron more than Kinesis. Curved keywells with "flat" keycaps, DSA profile I think.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.