Author Topic: [IC] 45-ATS Keyboard - Shipping  (Read 72126 times)

Offline omgkittiesyay

Re: [IC] 45-ATS Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:23:12 »
Ortho option is a great idea

Offline Korseir

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 09:49:53 »
Ortho option looks hella good and makes quite a lot of sense :D

Edit: the LEDs above the arrow cluster looks super nice too
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 12:16:22 by Korseir »

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 09:22:13 »
Loving the design! I'd prefer no hotswap as it tends to have a few compromises, like north facing switches and the PCB needing some support to work with top mount. +1 on the Ortho and indicator lights. Overall very excited to see where this goes!

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 02:38:39 »
I would love to see the chin of TMO50 :)

Offline resonantarchitect

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:34:21 »
This could very easily be the board to fully get me into 40's/50's. I thought 60% was a stretch for me, but this board looks great!

Offline p00

• 40% to 60%
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 16:08:20 »
In for the ortho option, to complete the collection  ^-^
Tokyo60 v3 / Preonic / Planck / UT47.2 / ALT / Daisy / Liminal / Alice

Offline .Udon

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 01:34:17 »
Hotswap?

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 13:58:00 »
Colour me interested in this!
Love the layout, status LED's would be cool, but I don't mind if they are not present.
Is there any chance that you add ALPS support?

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 19:19:27 »
take my money

Offline Abec13

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 06:27:56 »
Love the layout, status LED's would be cool, but I don't mind if they are not present.

Hotswap?
Show Image

Led indicators will be happening.

In order of priority of features: Ortho > Hotswap > Alps.

For Ortho, it might be possible to fit both stagger and Ortho on to the same PCB though I feel using hybrid footprints on the PCB would result in overlapping footprints making it not possible and would also mean no hotswap.

Splitting the PCBs would mean I could do hotswap for both configurations.

Splitting the PCBs and having Alps support means no hotswap and now we have 2 PCBs and 3 plates.

Theoretically I could make a THIRD PCB that is MX and Alps and a FOURTH PCB for Alps ortho..? Along with a third plate.

I'm not so sure I'm ready for that as my first GB and I also haven't tested for demand of it. You are the first to mention. So likely, no Alps.

45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 14:34:49 »
For the Ortho, I'm ok with no Alps and no hotswap, but that may be a minority opinion. Perhaps a poll is needed?

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 12:47:59 »
I’m a staggered heathen who loves to solder. Also couldn’t care less about alps and hotswap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 16:11:56 »
I’m a staggered heathen who loves to solder. Also couldn’t care less about alps and hotswap.

Same
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 13:38:48 »

Hotswap?
Show Image

For Ortho, it might be possible to fit both stagger and Ortho on to the same PCB though I feel using hybrid footprints on the PCB would result in overlapping footprints making it not possible and would also mean no hotswap.

Splitting the PCBs and having Alps support means no hotswap and now we have 2 PCBs and 3 plates.

Theoretically I could make a THIRD PCB that is MX and Alps and a FOURTH PCB for Alps ortho..? Along with a third plate.

I'm not so sure I'm ready for that as my first GB and I also haven't tested for demand of it. You are the first to mention. So likely, no Alps.

Thanks for your answer :)

You don't need to make a special plate for ALPS, there's a hole that fit MX and ALPS as seen in the Pearl keyboard, but I understand your concerns.
I do like ortho as well, but for this layout I'd rather get staggered. What I don't like is hotswap, like some more in the thread, but yes it is understandable and polarising.
Maybe you could run a poll?

Offline mrfe333

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 00:34:59 »
Interested!

Offline Gbanek

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 10:34:54 »
I could easily see this being my first foray into sub 60% kbs. This is a really cool idea and I love the layout!

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:22:08 »
Honestly there's a lot to love here:

- 3 modifiers on the left → Mac users will be thankful for this.
- There's room for the Quote sign. Hiding such a frequently-used key (for English at least) under a layer never makes sense to me.
- I can see people mapping the "$185 Artisan" key to Forward Slash + Question Mark. Still close enough to the Shift key.
- Split spacebars yes! All smol keyboards need them.

Practical AND aesthetic? Count me in.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 23:40:33 by nguyenhimself »

Offline jariss

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 21:55:19 »
Been looking for a compact travel board similar to the tmo50. Really interested in this.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 17:13:18 »
nice

Offline heskew

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 17:19:34 »
This is looking like the first sub 60% I might actually be able to use for my daily board. Definitely interested in seeing this develop and getting one in hand.

Offline stillzman

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 21:44:49 »
I'm in for 1, 2 if poly happens!

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 14:59:11 »
What is this, the year of the must have 40s? This is awesome, can't wait to see this realized.

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 15:02:10 »
I'm just randomly buying so many 40s this year you 40% guys got me.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 15:09:56 »
Don't you love 40-50% boards? There's something about them. They can be practical but I don't need that justification behind everything I buy. I like them because they're small--cute. They feel nice in the handle too, when you're shuffinling your tiny board around all the newfound deskroom from downsizing.

They make good shelf object too. Got a small shelf? Man, are these things perfect for it when they're not in use and still enough room for that 7th Pop! figure.

Here, today, I am interest checking for one of those. It goes by the name of 45-ATS.
Let's get into that name.

Currently, I run a JD45. It's nice. Really nice:

Clacky ✓
Smol ✓
Shiny ✓
Cute ✓
Compatible with most 40s kits ✓
Has the one key between L and Enter to put quotes on ✓
question mark is in the right spot (put it on tap for right shift)✓

On the other hand here's what's missing:

Arrow keys ×
Dynamic style×
Top Mount ×

The minivan is one of the few keyboards that went as far as to fit arrow keys onto such a small layout but at a cost. With the arrow key layout the question mark must be moved over or to another layout. This makes it hard to transfer that muscle memory over to something like a work keyboard, or a laptop keyboard. The nice thing about 45s is that most all punctuation can be on the top layer.

As for "dynamic style," think HHKB, think Compact 1800. Technically, the full 60% board and 96key style boards, respectively, are more practical than their counterpart. The full 60 fills in space with more keys, and the 96 key does the same thing while occupying less space. So then why resort to the alternatives? Plain and simple: they look better. The silhouette of a HHKB and 1800 layout are very attractive (to me) as opposed to the alternative. Like the layout or not, the HHKB is very attractive so the reason for adding the arrows and "macro keys" to this board is not only for the sake of functionality. It's also in the name of fashion.

And lastly, of course, we all love top mount. I feel I don't really need to explain that point.

So wrapping together some of my favorite features of my boards, I bring you the 45-"And Then Some"

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Currently Supported Layouts:

(Attachment Link)

Where it's at in the design process?
As of 4/25 I am done with the semester and will have more time to work on this. I have started the PCB design which, once completed, will finalize the case design.

What's been decided?

• There will likely be no full brass/poly version of this board unless it somehow becomes super popular.

• There will be no RGB on this board. We're keeping it clean.

• I know I want a brass plate option, multiple finishes.

• 6 Degree typing angle.

• Top Mount, 3-piece.

• QMK-- I can't imagine making a keyboard for this hobby and in this size that isn't QMK. Don't worry friends. :)

What's under consideration still?

• Split space sizing options--thinking something closer to the minivan.
    The proportions of the 225-275 layout can be a little unsightly and smaller space bars will be nicer for some that like to run no stabilizers.

• Brass weight--but I would prefer for this to be something that is more affordable.

• Matching 4x4 macropad to buy when this drops or save it for later. It will be called the ATSM. I will let you guess what that means.

• Hotswap PCB: with nothing but a few bottom row layout options this is under consideration for offering a hotswap PCB option.

• Additional plate material options.

• Jazzing up the bottom case a little more.

• Ortho PCB and Plate option: I was recently approached with the idea of offering an ortho option for the board as it would occupy the same footprint.
    This would involve offering a whole other PCB or meshing it similarly to how the mechmini did as well as offering an additional plate.
    (Attachment Link)
    (Attachment Link)

• LED indicator holes between the alphas and the 3-button cluster or just keeping it clean.

(Attachment Link)
    Just an idea I mocked up quickly to show the concept

What colors did you have in mind?

The classic Silver-Black-Grey to keep it simple for anyone looking for neutral colors.
In addition to that I want at least one less common color (namely navy blue, but other options will be on vote).
Now this doesn't mean it will be limited to one extra color; being new to group buys I'm not sure of the ups and downs that come from requesting so many colors for a buy of such small quantity. I will do my best!

Google Form IC:
https://forms.gle/xnLMZ8Kjmp8M46Mz7

Thanks for reading this far. Huge thanks to The Lazy Designers, Funderburker, Oldcat, and Holtenc for guiding me and answering my pestering questions!

Also shout out to nat for letting me bother her with design options this whole time.

Smol keyboard uWu

Offline TotesMaGoates715

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 23:26:55 »
Hotswap, full grid ortho plzzz :)

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 02:17:02 »

Chiming in, if you're gonna offer a separate plate for ortho, might as well have it with separate PCB. It'll result in less "swiss cheese" and a cleaner build.

I'm most likely in for a staggered board, whether solder or hotswap, though hotswap split space would be nice ;)

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 13:49:34 »
Absolutely love the design of this board.

As far as colors it would be neat to see e-white or something similar but even without that I'm absolutely in on this board.

Also please no hotswap. If it has to be an option, please offer a normal soldered PCB as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 June 2019, 14:05:46 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline FSund

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 14:02:31 »
I'm here for the ortho option  :D
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline goldensun21

• i take a your milk
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 21:04:08 »
Extremely into this. I loved TMO50 but love having arrow keys even more so this is making me top notch happy.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 22:30:18 »
Well, that ortho layout is almost exactly like a few i've been toying around with.  In for ortho for sure
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 08:06:07 »
Really like... i am in... would like to see white or some funky colors. PC and such would be cool as well.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 17:31:54 »
ne update avail?

Offline Abec13

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 22:49:06 »
ne update avail?

Sorry for the silence. Come summer break from university, I thought I would have more time though I've found a lot of things to do (outside) this summer and have been neglecting this project a bit especially after picking up the rendering gig I have for the keycaps people of this community. To be honest I've just been stuck on the PCB and need to reach out to some other people about putting this together. I'll admit, this isn't a fast IC, I'm not like some people of this community that can proposed and wiz to GB in 2 months.. whattya gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here are a few things I've decided:

There will be indicator LED's which will be 3mm soldered-in diodes. There will be holes, I don't care much for the microdot aesthetic.
I am looking to add a rotary encoder knob to the upper right of the board (top of the 3-stack of keys)
I am pretty much set on this being a solder-board. Elitism aside, I just prefer it.
REALISTICALLY, this is going to have to be a limited buy (thinking 50) though I'm considering offloading the QC to a vendor to increase the number.
Knocking off some mounting points and might round up the corners by a few more millimeters.

Sorry I'm so slow everyone  :confused: appreciate all of the interest. I'll deliver. Just.. not right now.
[/url]

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 22:50:48 »
Thanks for the update!

Only opinion I'll share here is... pass on the rotary knob. Please. :)

Offline Korseir

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 23:04:15 »
Pass on the rotary knob. In for the Ortho. ;D

Offline FSund

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 00:28:38 »
A rotary knob sounds great. I think you can combine the footprint for a rotary knob with a regular switch, so you can choose if you want the knob or not.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 06:28:20 »
A rotary knob sounds great. I think you can combine the footprint for a rotary knob with a regular switch, so you can choose if you want the knob or not.

Agree. If we have the choice I think that’s preferable. I would prefer without but would be neat to have the option.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 10:16:22 »

Agree. If we have the choice I think that’s preferable. I would prefer without but would be neat to have the option.

Thanks for the update!

Similarly to a planck, the footprints are able to overlap, making it optional. :)
[/url]

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 10:39:59 »

Thanks for the update!

Similarly to a planck, the footprints are able to overlap, making it optional. :)

Awesome!

Offline peterrattew

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 04:30:25 »
+1 please

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 18:46:29 »
ne update avail?

Sorry for the silence. Come summer break from university, I thought I would have more time though I've found a lot of things to do (outside) this summer and have been neglecting this project a bit especially after picking up the rendering gig I have for the keycaps people of this community. To be honest I've just been stuck on the PCB and need to reach out to some other people about putting this together. I'll admit, this isn't a fast IC, I'm not like some people of this community that can proposed and wiz to GB in 2 months.. whattya gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here are a few things I've decided:

There will be indicator LED's which will be 3mm soldered-in diodes. There will be holes, I don't care much for the microdot aesthetic.
I am looking to add a rotary encoder knob to the upper right of the board (top of the 3-stack of keys)
I am pretty much set on this being a solder-board. Elitism aside, I just prefer it.
REALISTICALLY, this is going to have to be a limited buy (thinking 50) though I'm considering offloading the QC to a vendor to increase the number.
Knocking off some mounting points and might round up the corners by a few more millimeters.

Sorry I'm so slow everyone  :confused: appreciate all of the interest. I'll deliver. Just.. not right now.
Hey just take your time don't worry. It'll be good for everybody's wallet, you're not on the clock. As long as you're not completely giving up on the project it's fine.
And you know the saying, "A delayed GB will eventually be good but a rushed GB will always be bad".

But those are good news though

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Offline voxkey

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 09:39:46 »
No need to rush. Better to get it right where you want it and then release. I'm in whenever you release it. Great job.  :thumb:

Offline heskew

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:00:05 »
I really like where you’re going with this. Happy to give any feedback when asked but I really hope you do make this your board without any compromise for others’ “needs”. Whenever you’re ready to produce some boards I’ll be ready.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:00:37 »
No need to rush. Better to get it right where you want it and then release. I'm in whenever you release it. Great job.  :thumb:

We have gone over this. Ur hand no fit.

Offline fractl

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:03:12 »
As someone who isn't comfortable with ortho, I find this to be one of the very few staggered boards smaller than 60% that I'd actually be comfortable using.  Personally, I like hotswap, but I also like the split spacebar option, and I don't know if that would be offered on the hotswap PCB.  (I know lots of people here like to solder, but with so many switches available these days, I really love being able to change switches as often as I want).

Offline voxkey

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 10:24:57 »

We have gone over this. Ur hand no fit.

:(

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 15:04:16 »
+1 for me, please!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 12:08:54 »

Offline pheonix991

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 11:18:31 »
Can we see a rose gold case? Please????

Offline lamenthe

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 01:44:51 »
Love having arrow keys on a 40-45% keyboard. Hope this makes GB.