Author Topic: Is there an ideal curve/concave to the alpha area of a keyboard  (Read 7527 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Is there an ideal curve/concave to the alpha area of a keyboard
« on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 12:29:12 »
I'm referring to a curve similar to this:

The advantage has a pretty aggressive concave in my opinion, but I've never used one first hand. Curious if anyone either has opinions on, or is knowledgeable about what an ideal concave amount would be.

Offline vvp

Re: Is there an ideal curve/concave to the alpha area of a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 10:49:43 »
Kinesis curve is about right. Kinesis problems are:
  • it is not split
  • small stagger on pinkie keys
  • thumb cluster is a bit more far away than necessary; especially the top two keys
I tried to fix these problems in a custom build K84CS.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:25:39 »
I don't think there is a perfect curve. It's a matter of taste and habit.
You type differently on the Kinesis/Maltron/Dactyl's aggressive contours than on a flatter keyboard. You type differently on a row-staggered keyboard than on a column-staggered keyboard.
Then you would type differently with horizontal keycaps (such as DSA), stepped keycaps (all home row) and contoured keycaps (GMK etc.).

I like the flat keyboard with contoured keycaps the best, but I suspect that it might like it better if the whole keys (including the switches) on the ZXCVB row was angled slightly. I have not tried that yet.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 12:27:05 »
One cheat is to put something under the feet to elevate the back further on a low-profile board, then see which height you like.

Offline tinyenormous

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 20:41:14 »
I think that curve is probably best determined by your hand (or rather finger) size/length. Longer fingers would equal a deeper radius. Shorter fingers would want a smaller radius. On the short fingers side of the equation there will be some level where the keys are physically too big to get any closer, or curved any more.