Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 664568 times)

Offline xman

Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1250 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 20:50:44 »
Hi AcidFire,
Full NKRO is reportedly now possible on the ErgoDox.
I'm begging for full NKRO capability for your keyboard!
I know you discussed full NKRO previously,
and you may have already worked it out,
but I'm posting these links anyway, just in case...

It looks like wuqe has had success...   
Wuqe said: "I'm using Hasu's TMK firmware with NKRO on"
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53245.msg1195642#msg1195642

My full layout is available at
https://github.com/simonmelhart/tmk_keyboard/blob/simon_layout/keyboard/ergodox/keymap_simon.h

Official documentation:
https://github.com/cub-uanic/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/build.md

TMK on Ergodox thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48106.0

Once you turn on NKRO_ENABLE, you can turn on NKRO with shift+ shift+N. Alternatively, you can edit common/host.c and set keyboard_nkro to true by default, so it starts up in NKRO. I haven't had any compatibility problems.

Changelist for that:
https://github.com/simonmelhart/tmk_keyboard/commit/b8375

everything's from Hasu's TMK firmware:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard

cub-uanic ported it to Ergodox, so check his fork for a better 'Dox-friendly starting point:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48106.0

Here are some more items of interest in the TMK documentation:

On defining a keymap (complete with all available action codes):
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keymap.md

Keycode list:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keycode.txt

On building and loading Teensy with the firmware: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/build.md

The Shift+Shift combos list:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#magic-commands

To get debug output, you use PJRC's HIDListen program: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html

Quote from: clickclack123 on Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:30:10
After you make your keymap_simon.h file, how do you tell it to actually use that file?

You add a reference to it in the keymap.c file, and then build it with an extra command line parameter. Here's my changelist for this: https://github.com/simonmelhart/tmk_keyboard/commit/72655e3

See also my customized Makefile: https://github.com/simonmelhart/tmk_keyboard/commit/36a4cd19597eb63e9
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:03:15 by xman »

Offline smferris

« Reply #1251 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:20:35 »
Hi AcidFire,

Even if it doesn't make it in as a feature for the default firmware for the board, I'm sure we'll eventually have a firmware version that supports it, either as a modification to the stock firmware or a port of some other keyboard firmware to this hardware.  I want NKRO as well, and I'll add the feature myself if that's what it takes. :)

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1252 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 03:18:56 »
NKRO would be great (i need to get around to trying plover at some point) but first be mindful of having everything being absolutely rock solid & robust on the basic usb keyboard spec. i've tried the TMK firmware on my dox, and with my kb & mouse in a little usb hub then straight into my mac it works fine, taking the hub into my belkin thunderbolt dock, then into my mac leads to various problems. hasu has been helpful at pointing out a few possible fixes to pull in, but for now i've switched back to using ic07's code which is less problematic for me, although that doesn't support waking my pooter from sleep mode. ho hum.

as this project seems to be aiming for a broader appeal than the DIY ergodox you really need to be sure that when people plug the board in, through whatever chain of devices they might use, it will work so soundly and smoothly that it just fades into the background and no one will even think of all the hard work you put in.

Offline xman

« Reply #1253 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:36:14 »
NKRO would be great (i need to get around to trying plover at some point) but first be mindful of having everything being absolutely rock solid & robust on the basic usb keyboard spec. i've tried the TMK firmware on my dox, and with my kb & mouse in a little usb hub then straight into my mac it works fine, taking the hub into my belkin thunderbolt dock, then into my mac leads to various problems. hasu has been helpful at pointing out a few possible fixes to pull in, but for now i've switched back to using ic07's code which is less problematic for me, although that doesn't support waking my pooter from sleep mode. ho hum.

as this project seems to be aiming for a broader appeal than the DIY ergodox you really need to be sure that when people plug the board in, through whatever chain of devices they might use, it will work so soundly and smoothly that it just fades into the background and no one will even think of all the hard work you put in.

I agree with you 100% in theory, except when you say:
"whatever chain of devices they might use"
because that's a bit too much to expect in practice...

I think a more reasonable expectation might be:
"whatever known-to-be-good/fully-tested devices they might use".

But I get your point... rock solid, robust, smooth, no problems.
Any devices that are connected/chained will need to be that way, also.

Sorry to hear about your thunderbolt & USB hub problems.
  I've seen devices that work fine when connected alone,
  but when chained, they won't play well with each other.
  Sometimes the connection order matters.
  Sometimes the power-on order matters.
  Sometimes turning on various polling options matters.
  I've also heard of issues with some USB 3.0 ports, so
  if your "pooter" has a 2.0 port, that might be a good test.

For those who do not (currently) need full NKRO,
or for when someone wants maximum compatibility...
Hasu's normal default setting is full NKRO "off".

For those who -- like yourself -- are going to try/use Plover
or try/use anything where full NKRO is mandatory...
then the full NKRO option needs to be enabled...
so it's able to be turned "on" when needed,
(even though the default setting is full NKRO "off")
so a specific key combination can activate it.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1254 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 21:21:05 »
Didn't know that, being able to turn NKRO on/off is brilliant ! 
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1255 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 03:17:00 »
I agree with you 100% in theory, except when you say: "whatever chain of devices they might use" because that's a bit too much to expect in practice...

I think a more reasonable expectation might be: "whatever known-to-be-good/fully-tested devices they might use".
well, i still think it's a good goal to aim for :) but yeah, there are practical limitations to how far it can all be tried and tested. the key point is that for something to appeal outside of a community of techy tweakers it needs to just work in most of the same environments that other commercial keyboards work, with no problems. once you start piling more hubs and devices in to the mix it will be less of an issue for the common user, but i think my sort of set up is pretty reasonable. a big selling point for a thunderbolt hub is a single connection to plug into your lappy to get everything anchored to your desktop up and running. having to plug in 2 cables is a big old first world problem, but it's a first world problem that i bought an expensive thunderbolt hub to solve ;) and i'm intending to build the usb into a new case for my dox, so to the outside world its very existence would seem to disappear. it's nice to have a couple of usb ports on your keyboard.

Offline conandy

« Reply #1256 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:53:49 »
Itching for one of these.  So...hard..to..resist...current...ergodox...massdrop.....Can't wait for the crowd sourcing campaign to go live. 

Been living with a TECK for a few months now....really wanting those thumb clusters.   

You are doing a great job so far Acidfire.  As you have noted in other posts, don't to let feature creep bog you down.  Lot's of great ideas floating around this forum make it hard not to try to please everyone. 

We'll love it regardless of how many features you get into version 1.0.   

Offline dsmitify

« Reply #1257 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 07:17:12 »
How's it hanging AcidFire? Any new info for us?  :thumb:

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1258 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 19:17:05 »
Hi AcidFire,

Even if it doesn't make it in as a feature for the default firmware for the board, I'm sure we'll eventually have a firmware version that supports it, either as a modification to the stock firmware or a port of some other keyboard firmware to this hardware.  I want NKRO as well, and I'll add the feature myself if that's what it takes. :)

Tobz pretty much nailed it. First and foremost the end goal is to get the base firmware as rock solid as possible before adding things like NKRO. If it's possible to get it nailed down for the 1.0 release, then of course it'll be included. If not, all the source will be made available and I'll provide whatever support is needed to make it happen.

Itching for one of these.  So...hard..to..resist...current...ergodox...massdrop.....Can't wait for the crowd sourcing campaign to go live. 

Been living with a TECK for a few months now....really wanting those thumb clusters.   

You are doing a great job so far Acidfire.  As you have noted in other posts, don't to let feature creep bog you down.  Lot's of great ideas floating around this forum make it hard not to try to please everyone. 

We'll love it regardless of how many features you get into version 1.0.   

I certainly hope so! Feature creep thankfully is a dead issue and currently is not holding back development.

Round 5 and some other group buys feature this kind of keycaps, but usually not in PBT. They should be thicker (good thing), taller (matter of personal preference) and spherical (IMHO good thing). Moreover, they don't fit on MX stems (especially MX Clear) nearly as tightly as DSA; there's a quite big risk of unintentional opening or even damaging switches when removing DSA keycaps.
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get a set onto my working prototype yet, but I'm looking forward to exploring the difference in the feel of it.

At one point in this thread you mentioned a 4x5 project that you were thinking about. Sounds like that could make an outstanding numeric keypad.  Is that still something you might do in the future?
Absolutely, I have the board files done but not produced yet. I haven't tackled the case design, but that should be mostly a modification of the existing 3x4 cluster design.

How's it hanging AcidFire? Any new info for us?  :thumb:
First off, I'd like to say thank you to those of you who stopped by to say hi (including the lurkers ;) ) during the Bay Area Maker Faire, getting the chance to meet people and hear how excited you are is a big motivator to not only get this out there, but to do it right.

I also got the chance to sit down with Jesse from keyboard.io for a bit, which was definitely a highlight from the trip and the level of information that passed back and forth exemplifys why doing this open source is definitely the right choice (I look forward to doing it again next time I head down that way).

Unfortunately, I did wind up with a bit of bad news coming home from the show however. Upon opening the Pelican case I had borrowed from the office to keep my stuff safe, I was greeting with a painful sight:

Even my Hakko took a beating:

(Thankfully it still works)
Whatever beating the case had taken was bad enough that two of the latches were broken as well.

Sadly this means I need to cut and assemble a slew of new units this weekend instead of photographing them and getting started on the launch video, which delays me a bit on getting content ready for the launch.

Offline Pharo212

« Reply #1259 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 14:35:02 »
Question for when the kickstarter (crowdsupply?) goes up;

Will there be an option without keycaps, in case someone has a set they'd like to use instead?

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1260 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 14:51:51 »
Whatever beating the case had taken was bad enough that two of the latches were broken as well.

Geez! What did they do? Drop it from the plane at 10,000 feet? They had to work at it to do that much damage!

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #1261 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 04:35:18 »
umm

Offline Scoox

« Reply #1262 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:14:55 »
Baggage handling staff are morons. One of the reasons I hate flying.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #1263 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 08:48:58 »
umm

Saw something similar to that.  Watched a baggage handler, in the baggage bay, waiting on the conveyor belt, get impatient and just threw the luggage out on the tarmac.  Not drop.  He chucked that SOB.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jeep

« Reply #1264 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 17:09:12 »
which delays me a bit on getting content ready for the launch.

I know these things take time... but what's the current guess for starting the crowdfunding? Any chance of previewing the funding levels? I've been lurking and keeping an eye on this for a bit.

Thanks,
-JEEP

Offline richie

« Reply #1265 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:51:34 »
Gah can't wait for this to be out ideal keyboard for me especially with the mouse button keys!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1266 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 13:21:37 »
Will there be any geekhack community test runs before you move to crowd funding. Don't take this the wrong way acid fire, I seriously respect your work, I'm just a little sad that no prototypes ever went out and community feedback gathered. If you haven't noticed you now have members of geekhack mutilating ergo dox pcbs to improve it. People here are desperate for a ergodox successer, including myself though I want to keep my Keycaps and wrist rest.

Offline yumea

How to program the key layout?
« Reply #1267 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 03:00:06 »
Since I have recently discovered this awesome keyboard project, I have been searching through the posts, but have not caught any hint about how to program its layout - maybe I have missed it, and I am not experienced in keyboard creation.
Can I use the ergodox layout creator or would I have to write any layout file by myself?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 03:16:17 by yumea »

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #1268 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:47:28 »
Someone, if not AcidFire will probably have a layout creator ready to go by the time the keyboard is released.

Which reminds me.  How close are we to lift off?

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1269 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 17:53:59 »
Will there be any geekhack community test runs before you move to crowd funding. Don't take this the wrong way acid fire, I seriously respect your work, I'm just a little sad that no prototypes ever went out and community feedback gathered. If you haven't noticed you now have members of geekhack mutilating ergo dox pcbs to improve it. People here are desperate for a ergodox successer, including myself though I want to keep my Keycaps and wrist rest.
Fear not, there are still plans for community feedback. I'm currently about halfway through designing what should be the final injection molded cases, which did require a bit of a tweak to the PCBs (already done). On the current 3D printer I have access to, it'd take about 2 days worth of time to print out all the parts, and since I'm using a machine without dissolvable support material, they'll be a bit rough in some spots. When I have a final, working prototype that I feel confident in, the selected beta testers will be notified and I'll begin printing & packing units to go out. While that is happening, the campaign will go up and when funding is complete (fingers crossed), the beta testers will be the first to get preproduction cases to test out (along with those who purchase at a particular reward level). I won't order a full run for the cases until I've received enough feedback from the beta units.

Key caps you should be able to keep without issue, tho the numbers are a bit different than an Ergodox:

22x 1.5u
62x 1u

I'm not sure how your wrist rest will fit (haven't checked the dimensions) but it should be pretty close.

Since I have recently discovered this awesome keyboard project, I have been searching through the posts, but have not caught any hint about how to program its layout - maybe I have missed it, and I am not experienced in keyboard creation.
Can I use the ergodox layout creator or would I have to write any layout file by myself?
Someone, if not AcidFire will probably have a layout creator ready to go by the time the keyboard is released.

Neither, by the time the board is delivered to backers config software will have been written to make it easy to manage. We're currently looking at doing it in java as it seems to be the safest way to deliver cross platform but if there are other/better suggestions we're totally open to it. And of course with it being open source, I fully expect to see alternatives to what we provide as well ;)

Question for when the kickstarter (crowdsupply?) goes up;

Will there be an option without keycaps, in case someone has a set they'd like to use instead?
Yup, they'll be a couple of DIY options. On some solid advice I've received, only the DIY kit will have the option to skip the keycaps during the CrowdSupply campaign and I plan to offer assembled versions without caps down the road.

Now, onto the campaign launch. Currently I had targeted to have everything ready to go before the 15th of this month, however between the acrylic units being damaged and some very exciting developments with the case design, I'm pushing it back a bit with a projected launch date of July 1st.

So why is this new case design so important, you may ask? If everything continues along the path it's currently on, I should be able to offer all three configurations in the box, as well as keep the adjustability I've been aiming for all these months :D As I hope you can imagine, this is exciting as it means no waiting for the extra designs, as well as reducing production costs & complications on our side.

And since I've been dropping hints here and there about something else we're working on, I have some equally exciting news. I've been in touch with the fine folks at Matias, and we're currently working on a Matias produced, Cherry MX compatible switch. The aim is to launch with equivalents to the Blue & Brown switch, with other options to follow shortly after. These switches have a couple of long standing community requests as well (can't say any more for the time being). This development leads to three more announcements:

1) Switch availability
These custom switches will be made available to the community at either Matias' current switch price or a little more (we're still looking to nail it down). For those of you who don't know, you can currently get Matias switches for about 200/$50 ;)

2) RGB
While it won't be a part of the initial campaign (feature creep!), I'll be ordering these Matias switches in clear, allowing me to develop full RGB boards without having to worry about the Cherry MX versions.

3) Pricing
Unless something changes drastically, I'm looking at two price points.
 - DIY - $170
 - Assembled - $200
Yes, both of those include switches and laser etched keycaps :D

These are the prices the campaign will launch with, however the campaign price will also have the shipping cost built in ($20).

Lots more to come!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1270 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:01:43 »
Great news acidfire, thanks for the update!

I've forgotten, did you say that these would be available with MX Clears?

Also, what kind of keycaps to you intend them to come with? I'm personally very partial to cylindrical caps, I'm loving the DCS caps that just arrived for my ergodox!

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1271 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:55:47 »
 /squeals like a school girl

Awesome stuff!!!!!

Offline sordna

« Reply #1272 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:33:04 »
Nice! Thanks for the update!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline conandy

« Reply #1273 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 23:06:55 »
Awesome news!  Love to hear the dulcet tones of progress being made!  Makes me glad I passed on this last Ergodox massdrop.

T

Offline conandy

« Reply #1274 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 23:08:20 »
Awesome news!  Love to hear the dulcet tones of progress being made!  Makes me glad I passed on this last Ergodox massdrop. 

The pricing you are proposing is awesome! 

Offline jeep

« Reply #1275 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:04:22 »
Cool! Glad to hear about the progress. I'm excited for this to come out. I wish I'd skipped on the last ergodox, but, oh well.

Offline yumea

« Reply #1276 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 06:01:46 »
These are really awesome news!! When will the "order" button appear! ;)

Neither, by the time the board is delivered to backers config software will have been written to make it easy to manage. We're currently looking at doing it in java as it seems to be the safest way to deliver cross platform but if there are other/better suggestions we're totally open to it. And of course with it being open source, I fully expect to see alternatives to what we provide as well ;)

Will this config software enable it to create a custom layout with several layers and corresponding (non-standard) modifier keys? I would like to set up an adjusted version of the Flux1.01 layout (http://wiki.neo-layout.org/wiki/Flux1.01 - basically the same like http://neo-layout.org/, which has 6 layers) on your fantastic keyboard creation.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1277 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 06:32:08 »
Woohoo, sounds awesome!! Man, I can't wait! :)
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #1278 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:44:18 »
Very exciting.  I look forward to the launch.

Offline Howler

« Reply #1279 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:23:54 »
Great news! I can't wait for the launch. Been very hard to turn down the last ergo massdrop, but I really like what you have been doing with this one. Love open source; Would definitely like to write some software for it (dynamic backlight control? =) ).

Will you be releasing the 3d files for the cases? At least the stl files, so those of us with printers can print our own case. Of course the full part files would be better so we could modify to our heart's content without starting from scratch.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #1280 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:27:16 »
Will the plates use the removable switch top design?

Offline robotswillkillyou

« Reply #1281 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:36:59 »
I am a long time lurker on geekhack, but i made an account just for this one.
I am mad interested in this project and i wanted to express my support. i'd buy one immediately.
reaaally good job!

p.s.: hello everybody btw.
"perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

Offline yumea

« Reply #1282 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:35:06 »
I am mad interested in this project and i wanted to express my support. i'd buy one immediately.
reaaally good job!

i am just same

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1283 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:55:56 »
reaaally good job!

i am just same

I guess there are more lurkers becoming active because of their anticipation for this keboard. What can I say, I am the same too.
I am waiting with the purchase of an ErgoDox because I want to see what this will be like. I even have used my daily email to subscribe to the crowd suply, which I rarely do, just to make sure I don't miss any news.

Offline nalui333

« Reply #1284 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 19:37:48 »
Another lurker vote ... waiting ...

Offline etd

« Reply #1285 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 02:30:04 »
Hello AcidFire,
your image at https://www.crowdsupply.com/multiplxd/axios-keyboard - I see there 57x1u + 21x1.5u and you are mentioning "22x 1.5u + 62x 1u" and "Lots more to come!"...

How the final layout looks like - is it splittable or even with tenting thumb clusters?
If not, will it be possible to disassemble it in a way allowing use in such alternative casing?

I'm looking forward to crowdsupply campaign, but can't wait! :)

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1286 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:07:47 »
Great news acidfire, thanks for the update!

I've forgotten, did you say that these would be available with MX Clears?

Also, what kind of keycaps to you intend them to come with? I'm personally very partial to cylindrical caps, I'm loving the DCS caps that just arrived for my ergodox!
That was the plan originally, however because we're no long going with Cherry MX and using the custom designed Matias Switches, technically clears won't be available with the launch, but you can always order it without switches and add your own. There will be a version of the Clears in this new switch design as well but not for launch. (Might be a stretch goal)

Will this config software enable it to create a custom layout with several layers and corresponding (non-standard) modifier keys? I would like to set up an adjusted version of the Flux1.01 layout (http://wiki.neo-layout.org/wiki/Flux1.01 - basically the same like http://neo-layout.org/, which has 6 layers) on your fantastic keyboard creation.
Yes. The only limit to the number layers will be the size of the SD card. Currently we're looking at including 2-4gb.

Great news! I can't wait for the launch. Been very hard to turn down the last ergo massdrop, but I really like what you have been doing with this one. Love open source; Would definitely like to write some software for it (dynamic backlight control? =) ).

Will you be releasing the 3d files for the cases? At least the stl files, so those of us with printers can print our own case. Of course the full part files would be better so we could modify to our heart's content without starting from scratch.
Yup, both the solidworks parts & assemblies as well as stl files.

Thats the plan currently, but as with everything I can't promise it because I don't know how it'll play out with the injection molding.

Hello AcidFire,
your image at https://www.crowdsupply.com/multiplxd/axios-keyboard - I see there 57x1u + 21x1.5u and you are mentioning "22x 1.5u + 62x 1u" and "Lots more to come!"...

How the final layout looks like - is it splittable or even with tenting thumb clusters?
If not, will it be possible to disassemble it in a way allowing use in such alternative casing?

I'm looking forward to crowdsupply campaign, but can't wait! :)
Well, since I haven't put up anything to actually look at lately, I think it's time to remedy that:
This is what one of the thumb clusters looks like fresh off the printer, note all the support material that I had to cut off:

But more importantly, with this new design, I'm able to satisfy the request for both split designs as well as joined boards, in both flat and adjustable packages, all with a few connecting parts:

Since the bed on the 3D printer I currently have isn't big enough to print the top plates as a single peice, here are some of the laser cut plates for reference. Notice that there is no border to the case, it stops at the edge of the keycaps (or where they will be ;) ). We're expecting upgrade parts to the printer next week so I'll be able to print a full size complete model.

And this is what the connection points look like:

There is definitely room for improvement, but I'm loving where the design is at now, especially since this revision comes closer to being able to address more concerns/requests than anything I've done previously.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:22:04 by AcidFire »

Offline sordna

« Reply #1287 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:07:25 »
Looks awesome! Thanks for the photos.

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1288 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:29:39 »
That was the plan originally, however because we're no long going with Cherry MX and using the custom designed Matias Switches, technically clears won't be available with the launch, but you can always order it without switches and add your own. There will be a version of the Clears in this new switch design as well but not for launch. (Might be a stretch goal)

This concerns me a bit, since Ergo Clears are what I'm after. (Or at least that feel.) Could you elaborate a bit?

How will the Matias switches compare? Are they like the traditional ALPS switches in feel and weight? (The Apple Extended Keyboard used ALPS switches. They used to be my favorites, but now I prefer the lighter weight of the Blues I'm using, but I want that weight in Clears. I think I would be happy—possibly even more happy—with the ALPS feel in the lighter weight. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try the Matias switches yet.)

Can the spring be swapped out like the MX switches? Can the same springs be used?

What effect will this have on key caps? Will they work with MX caps, or will ALPS connectors be necessary? If the latter, will custom layouts be possible?

Sorry for the grilling, but a change in your plans requires a change in mine.  :-[

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1289 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:49:50 »
Assuming by “custom designed Matias switches”, AcidFire means this kind (http://matias.ca/switches/quiet/)...

This concerns me a bit, since Ergo Clears are what I'm after. (Or at least that feel.) Could you elaborate a bit?
Personally, I think Matias switches are nicer than “ergo clear” MX switches, with a similar general concept (very tactile switch without too much sound). They might be slightly more force to actuate, but the feel is much smoother, and they’re more tactile (and the tactility is crisper).

How will the Matias switches compare? Are they like the traditional ALPS switches in feel and weight? (The Apple Extended Keyboard used ALPS switches...)
The Matias switches take slightly more force to actuate than the Alps switches in Apple’s old keyboards; they’re pretty similar in feel to good-condition clicky white Alps switches, if you’ve used those.

Can the spring be swapped out like the MX switches? Can the same springs be used?
Yes, but there aren’t too many ready sources of replacement springs; they’re not the same type as Cherry MX switches use.

What effect will this have on key caps? Will they work with MX caps, or will ALPS connectors be necessary? If the latter, will custom layouts be possible?
Matias switches use Alps-mount keycaps. They won‘t work with MX caps unless you have some kind of plastic adapters (while this is possible, it would increase the key height by quite a bit).

I’ll leave AcidFire to answer the rest.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:53:17 by jacobolus »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1290 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:05:46 »
mx compatible matias switches that support rgb and mx keycaps.

Does this mean that the switch soldering legs/mounts are the same? (Assumption from saying we could swap the matias switches for ergo clears if we wanted later.)

Take my money :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1291 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 02:10:12 »
On one hand, it's pretty interesting news. On the other hand, it got me thinking... I'm not a fan of Alps-like switches. Quite the contrary, actually. I love #vintage linear Cherry MX. That being said, the PCB will come with presoldered SMD diodes out of the box, right? The things is, will it support MX switches with integrated diodes (i.e. will there be holes for those pins)?

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1292 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:06:25 »
I'm hoping that the custom Matias switches will resemble their Quiet Click switches, I find the quietness/tactility balance nice (especially because I am intending to use it in an open-office environment)

Offline xman

« Reply #1293 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:12:23 »
Thats the plan currently, but as with everything I can't promise it because I don't know how it'll play out with the injection molding.

AcidFire, in your initial thread starter post you said:
"... searching for a keyboard solution to my pain in my wrists."
Mentioning that as a reminder of what started all of this: pain.
Some of us are pushed by pain towards the adjustability of MX switches,
which need to have their switch tops opened to be adjusted.
Some of us need a keyboard that easily allows that.
The following Bottom Line is my opinion:
It's really important to have a removable MX switch top design.

Offline MuadDirac

« Reply #1294 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 17:21:15 »
Some of us are pushed by pain towards the adjustability of MX switches,
which need to have their switch tops opened to be adjusted.
Some of us need a keyboard that easily allows that.
The following Bottom Line is my opinion:
It's really important to have a removable MX switch top design.

Unless I'm mistaken, alps (and presumably matias) switches can be opened and the springs replaced just like MX. But regardless I'd expect hand position to have a far greater affect on pain than actuation force.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1295 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:02:46 »
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.

a dressing the Ergo Clears, are you talking about straight clear switches or modified? one of the advantages of this move is the ability to do spring and stem combinations the community has been asking for at a much lower volume than what Cherry has asked for in the past.

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1296 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:09:49 »
a dressing the Ergo Clears, are you talking about straight clear switches or modified? one of the advantages of this move is the ability to do spring and stem combinations the community has been asking for at a much lower volume than what Cherry has asked for in the past.

I was expecting stock Cherry Clears either as an available option, or a separate purchase to populate the board. So I already bought springs as part of a group buy a couple of months ago. (Though I'm still anxiously looking for The_Beast to sell some switch opening tools.) So if you use Matias' MX compatible version of the stock Clears, that's fine with me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1297 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:16:44 »
Ergo Clears are clears with a lighter spring (often 62g or more to prevent sticking, but all sorts of springs, including 55g or 67g, are used).

Offline Naed

• Tinkerer and maker of weird prototypes
« Reply #1298 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:02:07 »
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.

Above and beyond (as usual  :p)

Thank you for sticking with your project :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #1299 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 14:40:34 »

Will your keyboards have a plate to mount the switches, and if so, will the switch openings have the necessary "phantom" cutouts so the switches can be opened up without desoldering?