Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 664541 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1400 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:06:37 »
That's cool, but now I'll have to keep track of two places instead of just one. :evil:

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #1401 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:46:53 »
That's cool, but now I'll have to keep track of two places instead of just one. :evil:

I just signed up for his forum (and started a discussion about a layout). It can also send notifications to threads you've subscribed to. As for checking another forum… well I will personally put up with it for this keyboard.  :p

Offline Zisilius

« Reply #1402 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 03:46:42 »
AcidFire: First of all I'm seriously excited about this keyboard coming out and I can't wait to put my hands on this beauty. Thank you for doing all of this work, I'm sure hundreds/thousands of people will appreciate it in future.

I would like to ask you about the type of key caps that the keyboard will offer. I don't particularly care that much for the back light, RGB or whatnot ,since I wish to use unmarked keys. I'm pretty sure that you mentioned creating a custom profile for the caps used for your board. So I'm wondering if we will be able to customize the colors (since I wish to have white PBT caps for the alphanumerics and light grey for the modifier keys), chose if we want anything printed on the caps and I hope they will be PBT? Or will we need to get them from somewhere else, I'm just worried about the specific profile of caps for the Axios that will be hard to source. Hmm or maybe SP will do some kind of a custom set like they did for the ErgoDox, will be cool to this what comes out.

Another thing about the actual switches. I'm excited to see what Matias can engineer for the Axios, but I'm worried about the time they might take. It sounds like a pretty drastic change from their current line up, to a more cherry MX oriented design and improve it on top of that. Are they getting any closer to a finishing stage and what other info you might have about them for us?

And also the casing. Will we get to chose a color for it? I sure would love a completely black case with that key cap combo :)

Either way, hopefully we are inching closer and closer to the release of this sucker and celebrating all of the work that you put into this.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1403 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 04:40:54 »
I think the MX-compatible Matias switches could have something to do with Gaote, a company that assembles Alps-compatible Matias switches and makes Cherry MX clones. Gaote MX-compatible switches are already used on keyboards like Noppoo Lolita.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #1404 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 09:19:30 »
This keyboard looks splendiferously wonderful!

I can't wait to buy one with Cherry Red switches!
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1405 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 09:30:53 »
Ouch, TotalChaos strikes back. Await a hundred posts about how this keyboard should support PS/2.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1406 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:06:38 »
Ouch, TotalChaos strikes back. Await a hundred posts about how this keyboard should support PS/2.

LOL

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1407 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 19:23:43 »
First, good to seeing great progress of your project!

I like to ask some about bootloader of LPC controller.

(not to mention the LPC11U line supports the drag & drop programming bootloader).

I'm working with NXP LPC11U35/501 and disappointed a bit at its bootloader. The NXP bootloader is not as "Drap and Drop" as what I expected, on Mac and Linux I cannot program with the "DnD" method and I have to use terminal commands(like umount, dd) to upload my firmware. Not so user friendly.

Does your LPC11U37 has better bootloader and you can do "Drag and Drop" on Mac and Linux?

And I have no experience other Cortex M's, so I don't know the NXP booloader is excellent or not in comparison with other Cortex's like STM. Did you try other Cortex's yet? How do you think?

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1408 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 19:50:07 »
AcidFire: First of all I'm seriously excited about this keyboard coming out and I can't wait to put my hands on this beauty. Thank you for doing all of this work, I'm sure hundreds/thousands of people will appreciate it in future.

I would like to ask you about the type of key caps that the keyboard will offer. I don't particularly care that much for the back light, RGB or whatnot ,since I wish to use unmarked keys. I'm pretty sure that you mentioned creating a custom profile for the caps used for your board. So I'm wondering if we will be able to customize the colors (since I wish to have white PBT caps for the alphanumerics and light grey for the modifier keys), chose if we want anything printed on the caps and I hope they will be PBT? Or will we need to get them from somewhere else, I'm just worried about the specific profile of caps for the Axios that will be hard to source. Hmm or maybe SP will do some kind of a custom set like they did for the ErgoDox, will be cool to this what comes out.

Another thing about the actual switches. I'm excited to see what Matias can engineer for the Axios, but I'm worried about the time they might take. It sounds like a pretty drastic change from their current line up, to a more cherry MX oriented design and improve it on top of that. Are they getting any closer to a finishing stage and what other info you might have about them for us?

And also the casing. Will we get to chose a color for it? I sure would love a completely black case with that key cap combo :)

Either way, hopefully we are inching closer and closer to the release of this sucker and celebrating all of the work that you put into this.
Unfortunately to start we won't be able to offer options outside of the Polycarb (though we are looking at a variety of colors for those) simply because it's too much of an investment to get them from SP where we can offer a price point that is appealing to you and doesn't end up costing us money. As I mentioned tho, you will be able to order the PC keys in hopefully a decent spectrum and they'll be vinyl coated/dyed so they won't wear like normal ABS/Printed keys. As for the profiles, we're currently going to be offering DSA & DCS (though DCS will be Row 1) to start. There's also something special we're doing with the DSA keys that we'll share a bit later ;)

I'll have to touch base with Matias, but I believe they're currently waiting for a PO from me to get the fianl engineering going. These by far have the longest lead time, and we're looking at alternative solutions that we can offer for those of you who need it/want it sooner. Unfortunately without funding, it's not something I can get spooled up until we run the campaign, but we'll be doing what we can to shorten the lead times.

As for the casing, after talking to the molders additional colors may be an option, they're waiting on a final/near final design from me to be able to give me final costs & minimums for colors. To start we'll be doing them in black.

This keyboard looks splendiferously wonderful!

I can't wait to buy one with Cherry Red switches!

Ha! I know I've seen libraries for PS2 support, and it may be possible with the current setup of the board, we'll have to take a look at it once everything else is taken care of.

I think the MX-compatible Matias switches could have something to do with Gaote, a company that assembles Alps-compatible Matias switches and makes Cherry MX clones. Gaote MX-compatible switches are already used on keyboards like Noppoo Lolita.
That's interesting. If so, they may be the ones doing the engineering which should hopefully lead to short development time. I'll have to ask the next time I talk to Matias.

First, good to seeing great progress of your project!

I like to ask some about bootloader of LPC controller.

(not to mention the LPC11U line supports the drag & drop programming bootloader).

I'm working with NXP LPC11U35/501 and disappointed a bit at its bootloader. The NXP bootloader is not as "Drap and Drop" as what I expected, on Mac and Linux I cannot program with the "DnD" method and I have to use terminal commands(like umount, dd) to upload my firmware. Not so user friendly.

Does your LPC11U37 has better bootloader and you can do "Drag and Drop" on Mac and Linux?

And I have no experience other Cortex M's, so I don't know the NXP booloader is excellent or not in comparison with other Cortex's like STM. Did you try other Cortex's yet? How do you think?
The prototype controllers I have are currently built with the LPC11U35, but I don't believe the bootloader is much different (or at all). The LPC11U6X series I believe is a slightly different bootloader but I haven't had a chance to order test parts (I would also have to redo the board layout).

As for STM and others, I haven't had any time (or spare R&D funds) to take them for a spin yet, but I know that they emulate the drag and drop setup with a secondary chip on the board, much like a standard arduino. We're at a point where we need to lock down the design and so switching the chip may have to come a bit later. As for a Mac & Linux solution, we may just have to develop a desktop app  (much like many other peripherals) for burning the firmware. Unforunately there's only so much time in the day, however once I have some stable controllers running I'll be sending them out (along with a full beta kit) to a couple of people who have been offering to help with the firmware.

Offline indigoglyph

« Reply #1409 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 06:01:37 »
This keyboard really is as close to perfect as I can imagine. Concave 'wells' will be nice, but I'll be happy to buy an upgrade kit for this, if one appears ;)

Just one question, @AcidFire. To clarify, how many different products should we be expecting in the CrowdSupply campaign, now? Reading between the lines, I'm expecting one fixed (flat) keyboard and one two-part (tent-able) one - or have I missed something?

- M
- Mark (Cherry MX5000, but always looking for something better)

Offline conandy

« Reply #1410 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 09:45:04 »
@indigoglyph

The pictures at this site I think should demonstrate what the initial offering will be like: adjustable flat or tented with adjustable thumb clusters and F-keys.  Separate halves, not a single keyboard. 

https://www.crowdsupply.com/multiplxd/axios-keyboard

Can't wait! 

Offline christianfrd3

« Reply #1411 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:27:58 »
what color will the pcb's be? i was wondering if it would look nice in a clear acrylic case with a black pcb or something.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1412 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:40:34 »
Just one question, @AcidFire. To clarify, how many different products should we be expecting in the CrowdSupply campaign, now? Reading between the lines, I'm expecting one fixed (flat) keyboard and one two-part (tent-able) one - or have I missed something?

I asked more or less the same question on the new forum for the Axios, which is maintained by AcidFire.

http://forums.multiplxd.com/threads/options-or-editions.8/

This was the answer:

"At this point we're not looking to do a single case board design like that one, however the combo kits that will be in the campaign (yes there will be combos :D) will come with the pieces needed to connect the halves and make a setup similar to that one."

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1413 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:57:51 »
I just thought I'd clarify quick as to what you can look forward to in the campaign. Normally, the products will be available as a couple of seperate options:

- Base Kit - The base units, as I've been showing them including the built in tenting support. Separate modules.
- F Row Kit - Addon for the base unit for those who want dedicated f row keys or extras for remapping. Not Included In Base Kit
- Connector Kit - Addon containing parts for connecting the two halves. Will most likely be included with base kit.
- Deluxe Kit - All of the above, plus potentially a few extras.

Now, the Deluxe Kit will typically come at a bit of a premium simply because there are more parts included. For the campaign, I'll be offering the Deluxe kit at the price of the base kit. Also, if we hit a certain goal, these kits will also include a bluetooth upgrade at no extra charge.

Offline elllit

« Reply #1414 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:51:13 »
soooo.... Deluxe it is!  ;D

Alternate text:

Deluxe, baby!!!

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1415 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:15:58 »
It's update time!

1) First tests with the existing paste masks I have went exceptionally well, I'm just waiting for the new masks to come in to finish the assembly.

2) I'm still waiting for parts on the 3D printer to finish the larger case parts, but all the peices I've done so far where I've cut them in half to fit the printer have worked out really well.

3) Keycaps Are In! Mid June I placed a custom order with Signature Plastics. I now have enough keys to do 5 backlit DSA, and 5 backlit DCS (a grand total of 920 keycaps!). I still need to paint and etch them, but I have a plan in the works for that.

4) I haven't had a chance to print the wrist rest pieces yet (last minute design tweaks), however last night I worked out a rough design for how I might connect the two halves for those who want a single board. Utilizing pieces that are designed to angle 15°, I can create splays for both straight & ergonomic setups.

Currently I've designed it this way because anything I could come up with that was adjustable was also inherently weaker. I'm not completely settled on it yet, but I do like the rigidity they offer once they're tightened down.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 01:17:33 by AcidFire »

Offline Naed

• Tinkerer and maker of weird prototypes
« Reply #1416 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:00:10 »
It's update time!

Darn and double darn you!

You are such a tease! :P

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1417 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:33:44 »
With new paste masks in hand, I've started assembling the latest electronics:

This is the new laser cut jig I made for the controller board, with the paste mask visible in the top of the pic. I have a jig like this for each of the new boards, which makes it easy to paste...

and place on these boards, cutting my assembly time down substantially.

And onto the electric skillet for reflow:

Working on one of the large 5x7 clusters (sorry for the blurry pic):

These are 0.5mm pitch FPC connectors, and while this method was a bit more expensive to set up (new tools/materials + masks), it's taken a lot of the headache out of the assembly. This will also make it easier to assemble beta units once I've verified these prototypes.

Speaking of prototypes, while I have my handy Kossel Mini printer for prototype parts, a friend of mine is currently printing me a full prototype case on one of his machines at work. While not a fast machine (expected to take all week to print), it'll be the closest I'll have to the final production design and is the last piece I'm waiting on to finish a video & photos for a campaign so I can finally get the funding up.

Offline anotherjunkie

« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:44:17 »
For what it's worth, AcidFire, I'm still with you & ready to get my hands on one of these! I almost bought a  Dox for the meantime, but I just can't function without the BT module -- and all the other awesome changes you've made here! Can't wait to see/use the finished version!

Offline kaltar

« Reply #1419 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:46:39 »
Looking more awesome and closer each post!!! :thumb:

Offline Zisilius

« Reply #1420 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:12:15 »
Oh wow, this is looking so good I can't wait until this goes live so that I can get my grabby hands all over it! haha

The perfect keyboard in my mind, and I love all the work that is going in it, this will definitely be something that I will cherish a number of years down the road. Feels like it's going to be very good quality product, props to you for sticking with this as long as you have and putting all the effort into the community's well being :D

Offline Tallbrahh

« Reply #1421 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 10:46:58 »
Would just like to let you (AcidFire) the dedication towards this is amazing.  Good on you.

It looks like it will be the perfect keyboard. 

Count me in!

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1422 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 04:22:38 »
With new paste masks in hand, I've started assembling the latest electronics:

Show Image

This is the new laser cut jig I made for the controller board, with the paste mask visible in the top of the pic. I have a jig like this for each of the new boards, which makes it easy to paste...
Show Image

and place on these boards, cutting my assembly time down substantially.
Show Image

And onto the electric skillet for reflow:
Show Image

Working on one of the large 5x7 clusters (sorry for the blurry pic):
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are 0.5mm pitch FPC connectors, and while this method was a bit more expensive to set up (new tools/materials + masks), it's taken a lot of the headache out of the assembly. This will also make it easier to assemble beta units once I've verified these prototypes.

Speaking of prototypes, while I have my handy Kossel Mini printer for prototype parts, a friend of mine is currently printing me a full prototype case on one of his machines at work. While not a fast machine (expected to take all week to print), it'll be the closest I'll have to the final production design and is the last piece I'm waiting on to finish a video & photos for a campaign so I can finally get the funding up.

I was thinking all this time that you have been using a fancy 3D printer (one of the tens of thousands of dollars ones), and all this time you are getting excellent prints with one that is very affordable; that is encouraging as I am in the market for one.

Offline DSlayerZX

« Reply #1423 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 11:15:01 »
This project seems to get better and better every time I check back.

The best part is that it seems Acidfire has manufacture already figured out before he starts the campaign vs some other crow funding campaigns.

I'll be waiting patiently for the start of the kick starter campaign.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1424 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:27:12 »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, as always it's a huge help and definitely a motivator :D

The best part is that it seems Acidfire has manufacture already figured out before he starts the campaign vs some other crow funding campaigns.

That's always been my biggest concern with a lot of crowdfunding campaigns. They have a prototype, but haven't done the leg work to know exactly where it's being produced, how, and what issues might arise. They also have a tendency to trust the vendors delivery dates (bad bad idea).

Because I know it's been buried in the thread, to reiterate:
** Electronics **
- PCBs - Produced in Canada
- Parts - 95% North American 5% China
- Switches - Produced By Matias (Canada)
- Assembly - Done in house on our PCB line

** Hardware **
- Casing - Produced 20min from my daytime job office
- Hardware - Canadian Vendors
- Keycaps - Produced by SP, painted and laser etched in house

** Packaging **
- Produced locally (boxes) & in house (inserts)
- Packed locally

I also have a minimum of two backups for each vendor, including if something happens with our in house equipment.

I was thinking all this time that you have been using a fancy 3D printer (one of the tens of thousands of dollars ones), and all this time you are getting excellent prints with one that is very affordable; that is encouraging as I am in the market for one.
Currently I'm using an OpenBeam Kossel Mini - Reprap; this printer has absolutely spoiled me. I take it to and from the office everyday (40min drive each way) without having to re-calibrate or service it. This is a prototype unit too, for what that's worth. When I come back from my trip down to Seattle & Portland, I'll be running a OpenBeam Kossel - Pro, which has a much larger build area (250mm vs 170mm) and with the higher end parts on it (injection molded, stuffed with bearings) it'll run faster too. They're also quiet too, I run the Mini sitting no more than 3 ft from me at all times and having a conversation with someone is louder than the printer. I have a couple preordered already for ongoing development & beta unit production. I can't recommend them enough and you can preorder them here :D </shameless plug>

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1425 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 14:47:40 »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, as always it's a huge help and definitely a motivator :D

That's always been my biggest concern with a lot of crowdfunding campaigns. They have a prototype, but haven't done the leg work to know exactly where it's being produced, how, and what issues might arise. They also have a tendency to trust the vendors delivery dates (bad bad idea).

** Electronics **

** Hardware **

** Packaging **
- Packed locally

I also have a minimum of two backups for each vendor, including if something happens with our in house equipment.

Currently I'm using an OpenBeam Kossel Mini - Reprap; this printer has absolutely spoiled me. I take it to and from the office everyday (40min drive each way) without having to re-calibrate or service it. This is a prototype unit too, for what that's worth. When I come back from my trip down to Seattle & Portland, I'll be running a OpenBeam Kossel - Pro, which has a much larger build area (250mm vs 170mm) and with the higher end parts on it (injection molded, stuffed with bearings) it'll run faster too. They're also quiet too, I run the Mini sitting no more than 3 ft from me at all times and having a conversation with someone is louder than the printer. I have a couple preordered already for ongoing development & beta unit production. I can't recommend them enough and you can preorder them here :D </shameless plug>

Are Matias switches really produced in Canada, or are those produced in China?  To my understanding, Matias does all their production in China.  They might assemble in Canada.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1426 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:02:57 »

** Electronics **

** Hardware **

** Packaging **
- Packed locally

Are Matias switches really produced in Canada, or are those produced in China?  To my understanding, Matias does all their production in China.  They might assemble in Canada.
They're produced in China I believe, including assembly. I tagged Matias as Canadian since I'm dealing with them and they're based in Canada with me. Of course they're still subject to the same potential issues as anyone else with manufacturing overseas, but given the number of years they've been in business I'm not concerned about the timelines they've given me.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1427 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 01:00:37 »
So a thought has occured to me. I'll be in Seattle from the 9th - 11th, and Portland from the 12th - 17th. I also may or may not have a full prototype with me. Would anybody in these areas be interested in a hands on? I can't promise a fully working unit yet (firmware & some hardware troubles), but it will be completely assembled and is what I would consider a near production ready design on the case design.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #1428 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 14:27:03 »
Is it possible to install MX switches on the PCB? Never tried matias before :|
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #1429 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 17:13:50 »
So a thought has occured to me. I'll be in Seattle from the 9th - 11th, and Portland from the 12th - 17th. I also may or may not have a full prototype with me. Would anybody in these areas be interested in a hands on? I can't promise a fully working unit yet (firmware & some hardware troubles), but it will be completely assembled and is what I would consider a near production ready design on the case design.

I'm not far from Portland, and yes seeing this keyboard in person sounds cool. Not sure what days will work best for me yet, but I'll PM you sometime this week.

Do you know which end of Portland you'll be on? There's the I-205 half, and the I-5 half ... North/South doesn't really separate them into full quarters although of course it's more driving if a person wants to get kitty-corner to the section they're in...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline etd

« Reply #1430 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:33:21 »
it seems to be possible:
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.

Offline deven.norton

« Reply #1431 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:22:42 »
Hey I tried to sign up for your other forum it keeps giving me the same errors:

Sorry, you must wait longer to create an account.
Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.

Anyway, I'm super excited about your project having recently stumbled upon it. I'm curious too as to how you might go about implementing the bowled keypads. Anyway keep up the good work and I'm soon at some point I'll be gleefully hurling a small pile of money in your direction just as soon as you give us the chance.

Sincerely yours

Offline vvp

« Reply #1432 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:18:44 »
I'm curious too as to how you might go about implementing the bowled keypads.
I'm curious too. I see only two options:
* doing it like Kinesis with a bent PCB (they have a patent for this but it may be expired now)
* doing it like Maltron and that means hand wiring the matrix

I'm trying the Maltron approach here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61323.msg1423071#msg1423071

Offline jeep

« Reply #1433 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 00:36:43 »
So a thought has occured to me. I'll be in Seattle from the 9th - 11th, and Portland from the 12th - 17th

Yes!!

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #1434 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:47:54 »
Hey Acidfire, are you going to be near Grande Prairie at any time in the near to distant future?
I'd love to have a longing look at one of these setups!

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1435 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:01:30 »
Can you clarify something on the switches AcidFire: I love Mattias' switches and their design; will these MX compatible switches produced by them use the same design as Mattias' switches except with a MX stem or is it a clone of a MX switch entirely, eschewing Mattias' switch designs entirely? Assuming it uses Mattias' design, will it be the quiet click or click based type? Also, do you know when/if Mattias will sell just the MX compatible switches themselves? I would love to order some of them myself if possible.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1436 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 01:26:02 »
Can you clarify something on the switches AcidFire: I love Mattias' switches and their design; will these MX compatible switches produced by them use the same design as Mattias' switches except with a MX stem or is it a clone of a MX switch entirely, eschewing Mattias' switch designs entirely? Assuming it uses Mattias' design, will it be the quiet click or click based type? Also, do you know when/if Mattias will sell just the MX compatible switches themselves? I would love to order some of them myself if possible.
This is has been answered several times in the thread. Last time *5* posts above you. People, learn to read, please.
it seems to be possible:
Ok, I need to clarify on the switches. they are not ALPS switches, they are a Cherry MX compatible that Wil be produced by Matias. That means the same pinning, the same dimensions and the same stem as a Cherry MX. it also means the springs are replaceable just like a Cherry MX as well.

Offline Koren

« Reply #1437 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 04:55:04 »
This is has been answered several times in the thread. Last time *5* posts above you. People, learn to read, please.
Actually, the post above mostly deals with the form factor and the actuation force. Yakitysax seems interested in the innards (clicky, tactile, etc.).

Granted, the question has indeed been raised in the thread, too, but you have to dig a little more. Besides, There's doesn't seem to be a definite answer on the question, and maybe AcidFire know more about them now... I think I remember reading that the "feeling" (of at least one version of those) was similar to clears, but I may be mistaken. We'll probably know more when the kickstarter is launched, anyway.

Is there any more information available about these switches? It sounds like they’re clone Cherry MX switches, which Matias is handling the manufacturing for... have they announced anything about this publicly? Do you know whether the switches are internally (nearly) identical to MX switches, or are they internally set up differently, and only compatible in pinout, outer housing dimensions, and keycap mount?
No, much of this is in direct response to questions/concerns from me. The switches are still very early in the design stage, but from what I understand they'll be very close to the Cherry mechanically, with some much needed modifications that Cherry has been lacking since the start. As I've mentioned before, I can't say more past that at this time but know that if the Matias produced switches aren't up to snuff (and I seriously doubt that'll be a problem) I have a backup plan in place.

Offline zipeldiablo

« Reply #1438 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 07:09:02 »
Sorry for the question if it has been already asked (too many pages...) : will this baby come with backlighting? was looking for the backlit pcb for the ergodox but hey, this will do just as fine, and when will we be able to purchase? (my keyboard is dead so....)
additionnal : do i need to run a software on my computer or is the code within a ship or something? ( cannot launch anything during exam, just wanna know if i can bring it or not)
Thanks!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1439 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 08:53:48 »
Optional RGB backlighting IIRC.

There shouldn't be any special software required on the host computer, unless you want to do some remapping and stuff. AcidFire mentioned a portable GUI in Java or something for that.

Offline zipeldiablo

« Reply #1440 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:41:47 »
Oh sweeet! I'll be waiting for it then, hopefully it wont take to long before release :/

Offline Koren

« Reply #1441 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 14:52:54 »
There will be backlighting, but I think that the RGB backlighting will be for a revision. The first kickstarter should be for a single-color backlighting, if I'm not mistaken.

additionnal : do i need to run a software on my computer or is the code within a ship or something? ( cannot launch anything during exam, just wanna know if i can bring it or not)
As said before, no, you won't need any software on the computer, you just have to plug the keyboard and it'll work. You can do you configuration at home (and you may not even need a software, anyway, you may be able to upload the layers with a card reader (?) )

That being said, considering the internal storage, you may have a problem for an exam. You could program the keyboard so that when you type a keyword in an editor, the keyboard will past any wall of text you entered previously. I guess that may be a problem with some kind of exams.

I admit I toyed with the idea of putting man pages and cheat sheets inside the keyboard... When you're not at home and don't have an internet connexion, that can be handy.

Offline zipeldiablo

« Reply #1442 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:05:28 »
There will be backlighting, but I think that the RGB backlighting will be for a revision. The first kickstarter should be for a single-color backlighting, if I'm not mistaken.

As said before, no, you won't need any software on the computer, you just have to plug the keyboard and it'll work. You can do you configuration at home (and you may not even need a software, anyway, you may be able to upload the layers with a card reader (?) )

That being said, considering the internal storage, you may have a problem for an exam. You could program the keyboard so that when you type a keyword in an editor, the keyboard will past any wall of text you entered previously. I guess that may be a problem with some kind of exams.

I admit I toyed with the idea of putting man pages and cheat sheets inside the keyboard... When you're not at home and don't have an internet connexion, that can be handy.

Well if you're good enough you can still hack the exam session and put your internet back on so....
as long as they are not aware that the baby have an internal storage they shouldnt be on my ass, we'll see.
Thanks for the answers guys

Offline solarundies

« Reply #1443 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:43:33 »
I just found out about this project and love everything about it. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Going to keep my eyes on this thread and the crowd funding page.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #1444 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:40:28 »
I just found out about this project and love everything about it. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Going to keep my eyes on this thread and the crowd funding page.

I've gone through most of the pages in this thread but I couldn't find a crowd funding page link. I'm definitely interested in getting a kit or two.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Koren

« Reply #1445 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 05:15:25 »
I've gone through most of the pages in this thread but I couldn't find a crowd funding page link. I'm definitely interested in getting a kit or two.
Not yet... I think AcidFire is really adamant about having a device as close to perfect as possible before launching the funding campaign. A lot of people here must be longing for the campaign to start, but if he need the time to do some final tweakings, let be it.

Still, can't wait ^_^

Well if you're good enough you can still hack the exam session and put your internet back on so....
as long as they are not aware that the baby have an internal storage they shouldnt be on my ass, we'll see.
I agree, I just wanted you to be aware of the possible issue.

(If it's possible to get the internet back on computers used for serious exams, I think they should see to replace their sysadmin, though ^_^)

Offline zipeldiablo

« Reply #1446 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:34:43 »
I agree, I just wanted you to be aware of the possible issue.

(If it's possible to get the internet back on computers used for serious exams, I think they should see to replace their sysadmin, though ^_^)
Computers used for exams are the same that we used everyday (mac actually), every data is store on the server so we log with our normal session or with the exam session and the server sync the file, since everything is connected you can always find your way in : B

Offline jeep

« Reply #1447 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 02:47:20 »
You can sign up to get notified when it is ready here:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/multiplxd/axios-keyboard

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1448 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 06:21:37 »
AcidFire, I hope this is not too forward, but I am curious to know if you are open to releasing the design files for the case you are working on for the Nexus keyboard. It is the most brilliant one I have seen to date and it would save a lot of time to be able to reuse it for future projects like we can with the ErgoDox case design files.

Offline Koren

« Reply #1449 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 14:26:43 »
AcidFire, I hope this is not too forward, but I am curious to know if you are open to releasing the design files for the case you are working on for the Nexus keyboard.
If I understand you correctly, good news, AcidFire is kind enough to develop everything as open source / open hardware if I'm not mistaken.

I'll quote him from the Axios forum:
[...] Everything is (and forever will be) Open Source. Unfortunately some of the tools I'm using aren't (Altium for electronics & SolidWorks for mechanical) but the choice was made for a faster development cycle. That being said, all the source files will still be released and in a multitude of formats as well. [...] Everything currently lives on a private repo and will be pushed to the public one once the first round of files & firmware are ready to go.

http://forums.multiplxd.com/threads/open-source.5/

It is the most brilliant one I have seen to date
I agree heartfully, and I can't wait for some news...