Author Topic: Any Thoughts on the Zowie Am  (Read 14644 times)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Any Thoughts on the Zowie Am
« on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 20:07:11 »
For those who have it or have tried it.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 03:09:18 »
Mine got RMA'd due to mouse 1 and 2 hitting each other when pressed together. Other then that the mouse was flawless. Such a shame. Hopefully they will tweak the gap a little for future batches.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline Shuki

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 08:41:36 »
Had the exact same thing on my zowie mico, but I just filed the mouse1 and 2 so they didn't catch on each other.

Bigger problem is the scroll wheel which has become ****ed up on my last 4 zowie mice :s

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:05:43 »
So nothing good so far..
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:32:20 »
Not the response I got from the older post I did about the sensei everyone was saying that the am was gonna be the best...
Peripherals:

Offline bienc

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 13:15:24 »
Love your avatar, Lmnr! Nujabes is one of my favorite artists ever and it's a shame that he's gone.

A little disappointing that the Zowie has what looks like bad quality control. It was a mouse I was considering for a new build. Hopefully they can fix some of the issues.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 16:37:05 »
Thanks haha I'm finding many people here that listen to him Im guessing logitech is my priority for mouses then.
Peripherals:

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 08:59:42 »
They are fixing gap between buttons on second batch. I've no idea how something liek that could slip through the net though
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 01:55:35 »
Quote from: Zhuni;475123
They are fixing gap between buttons on second batch. I've no idea how something liek that could slip through the net though

Especialy when the Mico had the same issue and they tried to avoid it with the AM.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Creizai

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 15:54:23 »
Never had the problem with the buttons clicking each other, but I guess I'm not buying Korean designed mouse with Gorilla hands.  Also Scroll wheel doesn't suck but its not amazing its whatever to me since I usually use scroll wheel like never for games or web browsing.  Its my dedicated SC2 mouse, plus its not a OMGZ horrible tracking Lazer mouse.

AM or Kana is going to be my next mouse to replace the greatest Gaming mouse/browsing mouse of all time.  Intellimouse Optical 1.1a

Offline sinis

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 15:42:38 »
if i would not have the zowie ec1 i would buy the AM. the ec1 is flawless. deathadder is cheaper though.

Offline bienc

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 16:24:01 »
Quote from: sinis;493542
if i would not have the zowie ec1 i would buy the AM. the ec1 is flawless. deathadder is cheaper though.

You've tried it/own an EC1? I'd like to hear more about your experience with it.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline sinis

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 19:18:06 »
Quote from: bienc;493568
You've tried it/own an EC1? I'd like to hear more about your experience with it.

i own an ec1 since last may. not shure what you want to hear about it. i am no gaming device tester. All I read is, that the Zowies have the best sensor there is on the market right now. Besides the Deathadder. As I read the reviews, they say: there is no accel, or at least so little acceleration, that it is barely noticable. There is no angle snapping, no z-axis bug, no interpolated dpi. So optimum sensor.

the liftoff distance is very small. the shape is like the Deathadder (all are like the IE3.0 I guess) great to have in the hand. the rubber coating on the upper side is nice. I had to get used to it, because you feel everything between that coating and your fingers the first time. Now its nice. The sidebuttons are nice, they go lightly and are well positioned, so i can click all the 4 main buttons without moving a finger to the side if I want (of course press to click). Sidebuttons in Firefox are back and forth button by default. the mouse clicks quite loud. on the fly dpi changing works fine. color of the mousewheel tells you the dpi. The mouseglides are so big, the mouse flies over my goliathus control. This will never compare to a Razer mouse. I had Krait and Naga, and Razer seems to spare the PTFE(Teflon) where they can. I guess it is expensive. The Zowie hovers like Yoda meditating. I do everything in medium dpi with it. 2000dpi is too high for me. The cable is long and the rubber coating feelsgoodman. The mouswheel button is the best mousewheel button compared with the Razer Naga I owned by the time I got the Zowie. The middle button on the naga was crap. On the Zowie it quite hard to press it. The feedback is very defined, which is simply good to feel. All the clicks on the mouse are quite loud, but again: atm I dont have any comparison here.

As I think about it I have 2 things, which could be better but are only of cosmetic matter:
- I rubbed off the rubber coating on one of the buttons with alcohol, which is my fault. I eat at the PC and I wiped the mouse with alcohol for cleaning. Then I thought there was still something on it. But it was the rubber that I rubbed off. And so I rubbed it off even more. now there is a spot missing the coating.
- The high glossy finish at the sides attract dirt like a dirt-magnet. You have it in your hands for an hour or so while gaming? Then you got to rub the sides with your shirt because they feel ugly.

i could make some pics, and i guess there is everything you need in the web like: http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Gaming/Maeuse/Maeuse-ZOWIE/ZOWIE-EC1-Pro-Gaming-Mouse-black::14852.html
watch those big mama mouseglides!

In Europe it is even less in price than Deathadder. I would buy a Zowie again any time I could. Deathadder has braided cable for whatever that counts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2012, 19:27:02 by sinis »

Offline Creizai

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 20:46:23 »
So I got the Zowie AM, It has replaced my IMO 1.1, and the Mico I've been using.   I can Fingertip/claw the mouse like I did the Mico.  And Claw/Palm like the 1.1a.  I went with the AM GS, which has glossy sides and it does help with over all grip.  I think the normal coating is a little bit slick, which is fine for up top but on the sides wouldn't suit me at all.

2300DPI, adjusted in game CSS, DODS, and BF3 to match my old 400dpi 2.4 sensitivity settings.  With Starcraft I'd been using 800 dpi on 2560 x 1440 which was was fine because I'm a low sensitivity gamer, but I've been wanting to have a higher sensitivity for Starcraft and started slowly.  

Using PureTrak Talent
6/10 Windows Sensitivity
52% SC2 Sensitivity
0.4 CSS Sensitivity

I have to say I prefer it to every mouse I've used since.  I just returned the Death Adder 3g (palm) and the G9 (claw without shell).  I prolly could get use to the G9 but I really wanted this 1.1a replacement.  So far so good, havne't noticed any jitter.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 03:54:31 »
This thread shows why you don't ask about mice on a keyboard forum.

I made a review here on the zowie am http://www.overclock.net/t/1195737/review-of-the-zowie-am

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 22:40:33 »
I'd never heard of the Am before, just Googled it. Looks like a cloned Xai...
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline Creizai

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 11:29:13 »
Quote from: Henry Allen Venture;494564
I'd never heard of the Am before, just Googled it. Looks like a cloned Xai...

I've never heard of Mech Keyboards before, just googled it.  Looks like a cloned Dell keyboard.

Offline RTbar

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:13:00 »
I've been looking for a good ambidextrous mouse to use at work (I switch between left handed and right handed) and I was thinking of getting either this mouse or the Steelseries Kana (The Xai/Sensei has too much fluff for me as a non-gamer)...

Anyone have any input on which one is better between the two? Or are these overkill for just web browsing and general computing? Also, what is the benefit of the GS (glossy sides) version as opposed to the full matte AM version?

Offline Creizai

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:31:58 »
Quote from: RTbar;498797
I've been looking for a good ambidextrous mouse to use at work (I switch between left handed and right handed) and I was thinking of getting either this mouse or the Steelseries Kana (The Xai/Sensei has too much fluff for me as a non-gamer)...

Anyone have any input on which one is better between the two? Or are these overkill for just web browsing and general computing? Also, what is the benefit of the GS (glossy sides) version as opposed to the full matte AM version?

I personally thought I wouldn't like the glossy sides, but when I bought a Zowie Mico it was the only option.  Its sorta like those old Diamondbacks if you ever had one, it gives you better grip on the sides.  I noticed the grip texture is kind of weird and I'm not sure if I would like it on the sides.  I could deal with it, but I just prefer it because that is what I've been using for so long.  It just feels better for Claw grip.   If you palm though it really wont' matter at all and you should just go with whichever you looks better to you.

God I really wish this scroll wheel and bottom weren't red :(.   The feel, tracking, and softwareless dpi settings are flawless (to me).  I can feel pixel skipping and jitters on a lot of other mouses so this one is awesome.  Also my Mouse 1 and Mouse 2 buttons don't get stuck on each other even though I have an AM GS (glossy sides) version like some have said the early version did.

Offline RTbar

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:49:38 »
Quote from: Creizai;498812
I personally thought I wouldn't like the glossy sides, but when I bought a Zowie Mico it was the only option.  Its sorta like those old Diamondbacks if you ever had one, it gives you better grip on the sides.  I noticed the grip texture is kind of weird and I'm not sure if I would like it on the sides.  I could deal with it, but I just prefer it because that is what I've been using for so long.  It just feels better for Claw grip.   If you palm though it really wont' matter at all and you should just go with whichever you looks better to you.

God I really wish this scroll wheel and bottom weren't red :(.   The feel, tracking, and softwareless dpi settings are flawless (to me).  I can feel pixel skipping and jitters on a lot of other mouses so this one is awesome.  Also my Mouse 1 and Mouse 2 buttons don't get stuck on each other even though I have an AM GS (glossy sides) version like some have said the early version did.

That's good to know that your buttons don't stick... I was going to order from ESEA and was worried that I would get one from the first batch with the sticking buttons, but perhaps the problem isn't so widespread after all

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 01:16:36 »
While we are on this topic Kana Vs Am?
Peripherals:

Offline Creizai

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 01:28:47 »
Quote from: Lmnr;501352
While we are on this topic Kana Vs Am?

I love the look of the kana better, also the button placement is more like the old Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1.  Seriously though I was asking myself this same exact question and it seems there is pixel jumping glitch on the Kana and the sensor seems to not have changed all that much.  If your HARDCORE HARDCORE FPS or Gaming in general I would go with the AM.  If your a regular computer user, you won't feel a difference or care.

Again though Kana in white is so sexy, give me the AM insides in the Kana and I'd prolly love it more.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 02:08:48 »
Lol well considering I play games that require precise aim and I currently use a sidewinder x3 and before that it was a sidewinder x8.
So I think as long as it doesnt have the annoying acceleration that most gaming mouses do id be fine.
Honestly... the kana looks higher quality than the am but eh..
Peripherals:

Offline RTbar

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 22:30:01 »
Quote from: Creizai;501357
I love the look of the kana better, also the button placement is more like the old Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1.  Seriously though I was asking myself this same exact question and it seems there is pixel jumping glitch on the Kana and the sensor seems to not have changed all that much.  If your HARDCORE HARDCORE FPS or Gaming in general I would go with the AM.  If your a regular computer user, you won't feel a difference or care.

Again though Kana in white is so sexy, give me the AM insides in the Kana and I'd prolly love it more.

Damn you, I ordered a  Zowie AM a few days ago, but you reminded me of how nice the white Kana is... so I need to order than now also... at least it will match my white choc mini that coming in the mail

Offline Creizai

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 13:15:19 »
Quote from: RTbar;502056
Damn you, I ordered a  Zowie AM a few days ago, but you reminded me of how nice the white Kana is... so I need to order than now also... at least it will match my white choc mini that coming in the mail

I love looking at pictures of the white Kana.. i dunno it just looks so sexy.  So please post up the pictures when you get yours.  I was really really thinking about building a Kinzuadder, but the I went with the AM GS instead.   It was worth it

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 04:09:31 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;493916
This thread shows why you don't ask about mice on a keyboard forum.

I made a review here on the zowie am http://www.overclock.net/t/1195737/review-of-the-zowie-am

does it have adjustable dpi speeds or can u only set the mouse to 450/1150/2300?

Offline DalaiLameR

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 04:23:11 »
you have to choose between these 3 (kinda strange) dpi settings.
the mouse doesnt come with any additional software, so you can't adjust your dpi any further.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Model M SSK ReAlforce 88UB 45g Filco MX Blue Filco MX Red

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 04:31:04 »
dealbreaker

Offline DalaiLameR

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 04:40:46 »
why would it be?
you can set your mousesensitivity in sc2 and adjust to the difference between your old and new settings
there are even cpi/dpi calculators on the internet for that!
the only dealbreaker for this mouse could be its pretty high price, weird / \ shape and the top of the mousebuttons touching each other when pressed down in a specific angle.
Performancewise this is the best mouse on the market.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 05:05:41 »
oh rly? didnt know about the dpi calculator, can you pls link me to the site? i currently use a razer da on a 1920x1080 res monitor @ 1800 dpi @ 54% senstivity in sc2

Offline DalaiLameR

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 05:17:02 »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 09:34:41 »
Quote from: Creizai;498812

I'm thinking of buying a Zowie AM based on everything I've read in my hunt for a new mouse.  Just have to decide between matte or glossy sides.  I'm not sure I fully understand your comment on that, Creizai.  My first instinct is that I would prefer matte.  I play with a fingertip/claw style, so I grip the sides pretty hard.  I still don't understand why people would prefer glossy sides.  Is your point that it actually helps you with a claw grip?.  Wouldn't it just be harder to grip because it would slip?

Anyone else care to chime in one that before I buy one?
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 17:36:58 »
Go for matte... glossy is never good on a mouse..
Peripherals:

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 18:12:40 »
Quote from: Lmnr;518167
Go for matte... glossy is never good on a mouse..

Yeah, that's what I figure.  I just thought I'd ask since I've seen a lot of people say they bought the GS.  Maybe that's because the matte wasn't available at first, like Creizai said.

It looks like these guys are a little hard to find.  So, I placed an order on Amazon, but it's not due for a couple months. :O

Another company is selling them if I want to pay $5 shipping.  I may just wait since I have 3 other mice I'm trying out anyway and want to give each a bit of time.  We'll see how long I can wait, though. :P

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2012, 18:20:40 by FKSSR »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 18:52:13 »
Yea its fairly new so id suggest some research.
Peripherals:

Offline noGG

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 19:14:25 »
I've read complaints that the AM is easier to drop compared to the AM-GS. Personally, I have no problems gripping onto it and I haven't heard any complaints about it either. Hell, doesn't the Deathadder have glossy sides? People love that ****. Honestly, I'd make a decision based on: a) your personal aesthetic preference b) availability (Newegg sold out of the AM before the AM-GS when I bought it) c) how much your hands sweat. I really only see slipping problems if your thumbs are sweating like crazy.

Offline RTbar

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 09:44:41 »
I have the matte version, and it is honestly pretty smooth and slippery, so I really don't see how the glossy sides version could be any worse, I love the mouse though

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 09:50:43 »
Quote from: noGG;519988
I've read complaints that the AM is easier to drop compared to the AM-GS.

The matte version is more slippery than the glossy-side version?  Or did you mean that the AM-GS is easier to drop than the AM?

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 11:38:14 »
Okay.  I ordered the Zowie AM (matte).  I wanted to get it with free shipping, since there's a company selling through Amazon for $59.98 with Prime shipping.  They only had 4 left last night, so I just went for it.  I'll see if I like it more than the other mice I'm trying out...  I'll be selling off any mice I don't like.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:36:54 »
Ima wait for the level 10 mouse to see if its any good...
if not this is definitely a must for me.
Peripherals:

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:09:13 »
Quote from: Lmnr;522029
Ima wait for the level 10 mouse to see if its any good...
if not this is definitely a must for me.

I saw a pic of that a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure when it was supposed to come out.  I'm waiting for them to release the Theron in the US.  Those are probably the only other mice that I've seen that I'm interested in trying.