Author Topic: Anyone have any experience modding Mice ?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline thrashwolf

• Freelance Illustrator / Designer
    • My Work
Anyone have any experience modding Mice ?
« on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:34:15 »
Hey guys, i thought this would be the right place to ask... Anyone have any experience with modding mice? primarily looking to change the color of a mouse

i want  to spray my PC, KB Case and Mouse to be the same color and im looking at the Plasti Dip range.

was thinking about spraying them with the desired color (4-5 coats) then applying a Clear over the top.

anyone have any experience with this ?

thanks in advance !

L
Novatouch TKL /w MT3 /DEV/TTY keycaps
Filco & Ducky TKL with browns

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Anyone have any experience modding Mice ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:40:15 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44900.msg935907#msg935907

I'm working on modding my mouse now, although I'd say you painting it was a bad idea because your hand is on it nearly constantly on the mouse and sweat and grime would build up and it would not be fun to use. I'm dipping mine but if you don't have access to that it can be expensive. If you have a car painting booth near you you could ask if they could slip that in with something they are already doing? I did this with my 360 mod a few years back, they were good about it only charged me £10.

All that said, if you do it well spray paint can be very good in-deed but have a practice first on some random plastic, make sure to prep the plastic, so its clean and smooth. Use a primer if you need some plastics don't take paint well.

Good luck, post photos!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:44:14 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline thrashwolf

• My Work
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:42:53 »
normaly paint or spray paint? Plasti dip i thought would be more forgiving since it is a rubber base, and not a normal spray paint or plastic paint. It's meant to allow movement etc.

what are you using ?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:46:39 »
Sorry I cut off, have updated my post. The paint I used was UK only (generic store brand), I couldn't find anything decent for a fair price, the end result was pretty poor. I have heard Plasti-dip to be good. Although I would wait on some more opinions on what paint to use from other members. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful in this respect.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Batmann

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:48:46 »
No experience in mouse painting but I modded mine 2 days ago,
nothing fancy I just lowered the clicking sound which was very annoying for my gf (especially while playing games)
If you go down that road, be careful mouse switches are rather fragile

Offline thrashwolf

• My Work
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 05:11:32 »
thanks for the input guys,

im sorry the mouse didnt come through as planned ! any plans on redoing it maybe?
i guess because im in the design field i kind of want to pull out the stops to make everything in my office cohesive and lookin rad... haha

in terms of ripping my mouse apart, i've done it a couple of times. im looking to get a new mouse anyways, so i was probably going to rip this one i have now ( logitech g9 ) apart, take the plastics out and then use the plasti dip.

As far as i know its meant for metal, glass, wood... but doesn't say anything about plastic. so it will be more of a trial and error kind of deal

and also, it will be man handling it ( no, not that way... ) daily. so im not too sure what to expect.

thanks again for replying :)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 05:12:59 »
No i haven't ruined my mouse, that was actually an Xbox controller many eons ago. Good Luck!

Offline thrashwolf

• My Work
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 05:15:41 »
ahhh okay, so you're in the process of doing a mouse now ?

i was even looking at maybe getting a White version of the mouse i have now, and then using a plastic stainer.

anyways thanks for contributin'

and ill try and post photos of it all

L

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 05:17:16 »
Yeah I am.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 22:54:37 »
I use vinyl dye. I did my MX revolution in white like 3 years ago, I use it for several hours a day and its still holding up. I have done some others in the past too. I prefer VHT, but duplicolor works ok too. Only downside to vinyl dye is the color selection is not so much.

Offline thrashwolf

• My Work
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 23:51:58 »
thank you! ill look around :)