Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 265315 times)

Offline yangdigi

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #900 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:18:01 »
I'm hoping to get some help with flashing the BT PCB. I've reached out to Barry and he got to me quickly but we haven't come up with a solution.

When I try to flash my BT PCB using a CAD66 hex file generated on ydkb.io and flashed using ydkb-reflash tool I get a "Reflash Complete" output (see image). However the keyboard is inoperable and I get a device disconnect tone repeatedly until I unplug the PCB. I have noticed that the YDKB website is wonky to say the least and I am concerned that I am not generating a proper hex file. I'm curious if anyone has had similar issues or has any advice for me here.
I've read through the thread and tried everything with the exception of trying to use QMK. I do not see the solder points people are referring to regarding QMK. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

The size of your downloaded firmware is not correct.
here is mine.
223455-0

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #901 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 10:03:28 »

Unfortunately qmk hasn't been ported to the bt pcb.

And it may not be until BT support is expanded in QMK. It will really depend on what BT module is used on the pcb and whether or not it’s supported in QMK currently.

Do you know which BLE module (I'm assuming it's BLE) the CA66 BT PCB is using? I am currently working towards expanding BT support in QMK to several new BLE modules as part of a large project I'm working on. I may be able to look into supporting this module as well, or at least perform the expansion in such a way that facilitates adding support for it later on.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #902 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 11:12:20 »
Wow thanks for all the advice everyone!

Do you have a battery connected? I'm not sure if it could cause your problem but I remember reading a comment further back about the polarity markings being reversed on the battery leads - remove the battery and trouble shoot with only hard wire connection.

You probably did, but make sure your are holding down the escape key when you plug the board in all the way through to when it finishes flashing (I think you can let go once flashing begins but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Lastly, check the solder connections on the PCB and daughter board (the controller and usb port especially) and ensure the plug between daughter board and PCB is firmly in place.

That's all I can think to check.

Edit: did you test the board before building and/or flashing a hex file?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I made sure the polarity on the battery connector was correct and I have tried it both with and without the battery plugged in.

I Looked over all of my solder points and saw no issues. I made sure all the diodes and resistors looked good as well and it seems so. I will double check the USB/daughter board.

I tested to be sure it connected and lit up and all was well. Beyond that I'm not totally sure how best to test a PCB before building.

The BT PCB doesn’t have those solder points that are on the standard pcb. There is no qmk port for the BT PCB yet.

And it may not be until BT support is expanded in QMK. It will really depend on what BT module is used on the pcb and whether or not it’s supported in QMK currently.

Good to know, thank you.

I'm hoping to get some help with flashing the BT PCB. I've reached out to Barry and he got to me quickly but we haven't come up with a solution.

When I try to flash my BT PCB using a CAD66 hex file generated on ydkb.io and flashed using ydkb-reflash tool I get a "Reflash Complete" output (see image). However the keyboard is inoperable and I get a device disconnect tone repeatedly until I unplug the PCB. I have noticed that the YDKB website is wonky to say the least and I am concerned that I am not generating a proper hex file. I'm curious if anyone has had similar issues or has any advice for me here.
I've read through the thread and tried everything with the exception of trying to use QMK. I do not see the solder points people are referring to regarding QMK. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

The size of your downloaded firmware is not correct.
here is mine.
(Attachment Link)

I think this is my issue. Barry mentioned the same thing. I'm not sure why that would be though. I've had all sorts of trouble on ydkb.io trying to create a keymap. When I use CAD66 the image will be of whatever keyboard was selected before it not of a CA66. When I switch layers it reverts changes on all layers but the default Layer0. Also when I first select CAD66 the default key mapping is crazy. All keys are set to obscure macros. Perhaps I should try a different browser?

Again thanks for the awesome feedback everyone!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #903 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:24:14 »

Do you know which BLE module (I'm assuming it's BLE) the CA66 BT PCB is using? I am currently working towards expanding BT support in QMK to several new BLE modules as part of a large project I'm working on. I may be able to look into supporting this module as well, or at least perform the expansion in such a way that facilitates adding support for it later on.

If I recall correctly it’s this one https://www.nordicsemi.com/Products/Low-power-short-range-wireless/nRF52832

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #904 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:55:21 »

Here’s a shot of the module itself.223481-0

Offline cijanzen

[GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #905 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 14:02:07 »

Here’s a shot of the module itself. (Attachment Link)

Right, it’s an ilogic technology ILT51822 with Nordic nRF51822.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #906 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 16:03:33 »
Would it be possible to port QMK and skip the BT support for the initial release?
For me I can live with out BT if I get QMK, sure both would be ideal but we got to start somewhere.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #907 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 17:39:50 »
Would it be possible to port QMK and skip the BT support for the initial release?
For me I can live with out BT if I get QMK, sure both would be ideal but we got to start somewhere.

For right now, probably. I haven’t really looked into it too much, porting it is on my to do list though. As soon as I finish the firmware for a couple other boards I’m working on, and assembly for some pcbs in a small private buy, I’ll be working on this one.

Offline leandrovega

« Reply #908 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 16:02:23 »
Hi, I'm new to GeekHack. Please forgive me if this is a redundant question. Will there be another GB this year for the CA66? I'm just beginning to become familiar with the Group Buy method.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #909 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 17:35:04 »
Hi, I'm new to GeekHack. Please forgive me if this is a redundant question. Will there be another GB this year for the CA66? I'm just beginning to become familiar with the Group Buy method.

This was the second round for the CA66, which was originally supposed to be a single round only. PlaykeyboardTW have said there will not be a third round.

If you do want to get one, your best bet is to look for someone selling theirs on r/mechmarket!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #910 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 07:23:21 »
It would be really nice to get an update on replacement replacement parts

Offline sysfury

« Reply #911 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 17:48:16 »

+1

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #912 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 23:34:07 »

+2

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Lormania

« Reply #913 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 23:37:16 »

+3

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #914 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 07:25:38 »

+4

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #915 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 21:51:57 »
For those wondering I got this response yesterday

Offline Subaeru

« Reply #916 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 02:38:44 »
If anyone is willing to sell a green or brown ca66 with Bluetooth lmk please. Preferably wkl but I don’t mind hhhkb style. Thank you! Im also on reddit with same username!
Subaeru 🐇

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #917 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 12:39:46 »
Sorry, yet another BT question: I CAN connect via BT to my Mac - I see CAD66_BLE Connected - but no typing works. LEDs are lit up fine. I plug in via USB and everything is fine. I tried the function to switch between USB and BT and still get nothing. I haven't updated firmware since I got it but I figure if I'm connecting and it's showing up as a keyboard to the Mac, it should be almost there. Any tips?

Offline aydio

« Reply #918 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 14:02:31 »
Is there still a possibility to join this GB?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #919 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 14:26:05 »
Is there still a possibility to join this GB?

No...

Offline Gamatatsu

« Reply #920 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 19:03:56 »
Out of nowhere my ca66 won't register more the one key press at a timae anymore. Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?
edit:nvm i just reflashed it and its working now
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2019, 19:42:37 by Gamatatsu »

Offline Nebulant

• Nebulous Consulting
« Reply #921 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 00:58:12 »
Just got notice from PlayKeyboards about sending them back my damaged board for replacement - they wont cover shipping the damaged unit back to them. Frankly this is unacceptable that people that received units of unacceptable quality now have to pay even more money to get their boards replaced. The quote I received from DHL was for $140.

The cost of shipping from the US is prohibitively expensive. After waiting for so long to see if playkeyboards will do anything to make this situation right, I will probably end up just having the board re-coated locally, it will be the more cost effective solution - but this is not how replacements should be handled.

Offline nulltorious

« Reply #922 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 02:06:03 »
Just got notice from PlayKeyboards about sending them back my damaged board for replacement - they wont cover shipping the damaged unit back to them. Frankly this is unacceptable that people that received units of unacceptable quality now have to pay even more money to get their boards replaced. The quote I received from DHL was for $140.

The cost of shipping from the US is prohibitively expensive. After waiting for so long to see if playkeyboards will do anything to make this situation right, I will probably end up just having the board re-coated locally, it will be the more cost effective solution - but this is not how replacements should be handled.

That sucks you didn't receive a board up standards but this is standard practice in ecommerce. The buyer usually pays for shipping return items back. Even Amazon will deduct the price of shipping from the refund amount.

$140 sounds a bit high, I ship lots of stuff from the US to Taiwan and usually the costs is around $80 (UPS ground / USPS). The cerakote option seems to be the most attractive option.

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #923 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 18:39:04 »
That sucks you didn't receive a board up standards but this is standard practice in ecommerce. The buyer usually pays for shipping return items back. Even Amazon will deduct the price of shipping from the refund amount.

This isn’t even remotely accurate for damaged items.

Offline roymt76

« Reply #924 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 12:49:05 »
It's take me so long, but I finally have freetime to post this  :p

Thanks you guys for making this.
More image in https://imgur.com/a/wdcQX2j
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2019, 12:51:29 by roymt76 »

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #925 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 02:23:23 »
I got around to building my CA66 a couple weeks ago. Wish I had a better camera

Is there any way we could find out about extra parts? I would gladly buy an extra PCB, or a bluetooth one if any are available
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #926 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 02:30:26 »
I got around to building my CA66 a couple weeks ago. Wish I had a better camera

Show Image

Is there any way we could find out about extra parts? I would gladly buy an extra PCB, or a bluetooth one if any are available
Not sure about extras but they are still organising replacement parts for those who had issues with their orders. It's been a while so an update might be coming soon though

Offline your_fish_monger

« Reply #927 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:03:50 »
Looking to buy a black or dark gray kit, and willing to pay a premium. Contact me here or on Reddit at the same username. (Positive feedback in /r/MechMarket at my username)

Offline Vizir

« Reply #928 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 14:23:55 »
Looking to buy a black or dark gray kit, and willing to pay a premium. Contact me here or on Reddit at the same username. (Positive feedback in /r/MechMarket at my username)
Check pm

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #929 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:12:09 »
Mine disconnects several times a day, almost as if it reboots... Both in Windows and OSX.

Same here. Regardless of whether used in Bluetooth mode or with cable. Also regardless of whether battery is turned on/off.
Would love to know if there is a solution to that as it's highly annoying when typing.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #930 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:19:04 »
Mine disconnects several times a day, almost as if it reboots... Both in Windows and OSX.

Same here. Regardless of whether used in Bluetooth mode or with cable. Also regardless of whether battery is turned on/off.
Would love to know if there is a solution to that as it's highly annoying when typing.
I got most of those fixed by grounding the usbc to the case. Try that

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #931 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 01:00:07 »
Hi guys, wish you all are doing well.

Since we are in pretty busy and chaotic situation to work on multiple tasks at the moment, please try to contact us via email or Facebook fan page.
That will be better and easier for letting us know who you are and track previous messages.

Thanks for the cooperation. :)

Offline architones

« Reply #932 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 22:38:42 »

Sorry if this a dumb question, but how do you ground the USB C cable to the case? I'm starting to have issues where my BT pcb keeps rebooting.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #933 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 23:15:34 »

Sorry if this a dumb question, but how do you ground the USB C cable to the case? I'm starting to have issues where my BT pcb keeps rebooting.
Look here
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97035.msg2783022.msg#2783022

Offline architones

« Reply #934 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 02:08:23 »

Look here
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97035.msg2783022.msg#2783022

Great, thanks!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #935 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 11:49:12 »
What's the opinion on the alu plates? My replacement one looks kinda like it was cut with a band saw - also kinda sharp.
Photos to compare good side with the bad side

Offline lukelex

« Reply #936 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 12:26:20 »
What's the opinion on the alu plates? My replacement one looks kinda like it was cut with a band saw - also kinda sharp.
Photos to compare good side with the bad side
Show Image
Show Image

That looks nasty

Offline jupitard

« Reply #937 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 15:19:04 »
I have a Round 1 Ca66 Winkeyless kit.
I Have gone through 2 PCBs so far.
Booth with the same symptoms.  random keys stop working. then the whole thing stops working.
Does anyone know where I can get another PCB, or a replacement?
at this point, it's looking like I will have to hand wire this to get it back to life.

Offline lukelex

« Reply #938 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 15:36:20 »
Booth with the same symptoms.  random keys stop working. then the whole thing stops working.
at this point, it's looking like I will have to hand wire this to get it back to life.
Someone, not saying who, might be looking into making an aftermarket replacement pcb

Offline Vizir

« Reply #939 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 08:49:36 »
I have a pcb which I am not using. Only thing is, it has millmax sockets installed. I did install them in every possible cherry mx switch position.

Offline j0hn3h

« Reply #940 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 13:09:02 »
I have a pcb which I am not using. Only thing is, it has millmax sockets installed. I did install them in every possible cherry mx switch position.

I'm interested in purchasing your spare pcb. Let me know if you want to sell it.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #941 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 16:27:27 »
Someone, not saying who, might be looking into making an aftermarket replacement pcb

My prototypes for my replacement should be here in a few days...

Offline sysfury

« Reply #942 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:39:22 »
They promised replacement PCBs for participants in Round 1.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=iokk9a9rvh856od6ohiq8ehign7io8j4&topic=93542.msg2712253#msg2712253

I contacted them on Facebook Messenger and they sent me a Round 2 PCB for free.

http://m.me/playkeyboard

Offline j0hn3h

« Reply #943 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 01:34:58 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=iokk9a9rvh856od6ohiq8ehign7io8j4&topic=93542.msg2712253#msg2712253

Just messaged them on FB Messenger about when the extra PCB's will be available for purchase and heard nothing back.

The last time they replied to me was back in March about PCB's being up in April.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #944 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 16:30:27 »

Just messaged them on FB Messenger about when the extra PCB's will be available for purchase and heard nothing back.

The last time they replied to me was back in March about PCB's being up in April.

Yeah, I wouldn’t hold out hope.

On another note, my lastest (and hopefully last) round of prototypes are in, will assemble a few and send them to my testers on my next day off of work (Monday).

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #945 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 20:06:26 »

On another note, my lastest (and hopefully last) round of prototypes are in, will assemble a few and send them to my testers on my next day off of work (Monday).
Prototypes for CA66-compatible PCBs?

Offline Lormania

« Reply #946 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 20:36:07 »
I am very interested in these pcb's. I would buy at least 3

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #947 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 21:16:06 »

Yep, direct drop in replacement. May include a replacement daughter board as well, though that may take another round of prototypes to get right. I used the wrong type C connector in the current batch, and two of the screw holes are slightly off, so it sits a little crooked and isn't super stable. but having a replacement isn't super critical, the original can still be used just fine.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #948 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 21:20:42 »

Yep, direct drop in replacement. May include a replacement daughter board as well, though that may take another round of prototypes to get right. I used the wrong type C connector in the current batch, and two of the screw holes are slightly off, so it sits a little crooked and isn't super stable. but having a replacement isn't super critical, the original can still be used just fine.
This sounds pretty great. If it's been asked before, I apologize, but will your PCBs have BT too?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #949 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 22:49:52 »

This sounds pretty great. If it's been asked before, I apologize, but will your PCBs have BT too?

No. QMK BT support isn't that great right now, so I decided not to support it right now. in the future, if the support and integration in qmk improves, I'll make a BT version.