Author Topic: you know you are a geek when...  (Read 43990 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Re: you know you are a geek when...
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:18:38 »
That's not always necessarily true. Audience plays a factor. But then knowing your audience comes into play as well.
Hmmm there was a time when Halverson would try and convince me of the mechanical keyboard ways and I thought it was sooo stupid. But he pestered me long enough over and over until one day I just thought to myself "Hey I have a little extra money right now" and bought one. I was the wrong audience at one point and ever since that day I have never had "a little extra money"
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:58:22 by YoungMichael88 »
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:21:54 »
Stupid Halverson. Leading YoungMike down a rabbit hole where his poor wallet is always empty. :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:41:22 »
That's not always necessarily true. Audience plays a factor. But then knowing your audience comes into play as well.

I wonder if Chix dig' the Ergodox.

To my knowledge Ergodox has only been in the hands of the male-keyboard-elites.

Show Image

Finally, proof tp doesn't actually own an ergodox.

Show Image

How so???

Offline iri

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:47:14 »
^ because you don't belong to male keyboard elites.
or keyboard elites.
or male elites.
or elites.
or males
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 05:51:44 »
... you can think of something to post in a thread with the title like: you know you are a geek when ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 06:00:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

How so???

pics or gtfo

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 12:01:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

How so???

pics or gtfo

He posted a picture of the caps a while back, I can't find it now though.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:40:08 »
... you have to explain to people at work that they can't pick upbuy your keyboard for themselves because you made it at home. (This happened to me today)
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:28:05 by metalliqaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:42:48 »
... you have to explain to people at work that they can't pick up your keyboard for themselves because you made it at home. (This happened to me today)

drop kick that guy bro.....people gotta learn some manners....

like the day the cleaning peopel supervisor was going to put her random piece of paper under my board to see if her people were cleaning properly and I was like do you know how much that keyboard cost?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:46:56 »
I think he probably meant pick up like buying it from somewhere.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:51:53 »

:-[ oh

well I meant literally the lady walked into my office and picked my keyboard up off my desk right in front of me  :thumb:

Offline iri

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:54:38 »

well I meant literally the lady walked into my office and picked my keyboard up off my desk right in front of me  :thumb:
i keep my model m under my desk for such circumstances. (not for sharing, for beatings)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:59:32 »

i keep my model m under my desk for such circumstances. (not for sharing, for beatings)

Actually, I have model m, a quickfire xt, and a g80-1800 all underneath my desk.....but I use my metal yard stick to beat offenders

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:23:47 »

Actually, I have model m, a quickfire xt, and a g80-1800 all underneath my desk.....but I use my metal yard stick to beat offenders

careful... in 3rd grade, when I attempted defense using metal yard stick.. cut my own hand on it..  Too much torque, too little surface area..

get an aluminum bat... light and I heard can deflect bullets.

Offline tormentor

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:26:30 »
You've named your rig and other electronics. My PC is Frankenstein.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:27:13 »
I name my servers after Quake 3 characters...

Offline mauri

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:34:03 »

careful... in 3rd grade, when I attempted defense using metal yard stick.. cut my own hand on it..  Too much torque, too little surface area..

No that'd be a lightsaber, common mistake padawan
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:38:21 »

really? i guess it's one of those urban myths then..

Although I don't find it impossible that an aluminum bat could deflect bullets.  I guess since they're mostly hollow, it probably wouldn't..

Offline mauri

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:40:15 »

Although I don't find it impossible that an aluminum bat could deflect bullets.  I guess since they're mostly hollow, it probably wouldn't..

I saw a penny stop a bullet in a movie, I think your aluminium bat theory is totally plausible

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:54:29 »

I saw a penny stop a bullet in a movie, I think your aluminium bat theory is totally plausible

it just has to be thick enough... and you have to be very precise about hitting the bullet with the bat

Offline mauri

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:57:28 »

it just has to be thick enough... and you have to be very precise about hitting the bullet with the bat
Show Image

I find it extremely irritating when I get shot right in the middle of my backswing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:05:11 »

Show Image

I find it extremely irritating when I get shot right in the middle of my backswing

you need to get the bat blessed by a shinto priest for +50% critical ...  that should improve your odds of deflecting the bullet.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:19:47 »
wow, this thread got derailed...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:24:53 »
Explaining keyboards to others is SOOOOO awkward.,

"dude they're like regular keyboards but they feel nicer to use"
"i use an expensive keyboard because it is a professional tool; carpenters don't use drills from lowe's for the same reason"
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:28:11 »
When you know more about the 3D printer and networking that goes with the printer than the IT "help" at work.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:35:04 »

"i use an expensive keyboard because it is a professional tool; carpenters don't use drills from lowe's for the same reason"

what? what do real carpenters use...??

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:36:12 »

Drills from Home Depot...  :))
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:33:30 »

http://www.team.net/mjb/hawg.html
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:11:45 »

I name mine based on the periodic table.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:23:11 »

i like naming servers after cities/regions in middle earth, and switches/routers after mountain ranges

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:29:06 »

When you name name our computer after a realm from a fantasy series and have your hard drives named after cities in said realm.  Especially when you take the time to correlate they type, layout, and easy of entrance to the city to correspond to specs on the different hard drives.  My large raptor drive is Ched Nesad, my small raptor is Menzoberranzan, and my large storage drive is Mithril Hall.

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:32:16 »
You go to LAN parties...
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:46:14 »
...you start an online community, primarily dedicated to computer keyboards.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:50:25 »

En casa de teclados mecanicos, cupula de goma.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:54:27 »

En casa de teclados mecanicos, cupula de goma.

You're talking about Topre, obviously. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iri

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 01:34:07 »

i named myself based on mendeleev's table

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 05:48:22 »

/thread

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:38:08 »
I can get a 8 ssks.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 08:57:06 »
You know you are a geek when you use Windows 98.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:10:50 »
in the age of Windows 8 and touch screen devices you can still navigate windows 3.11 without a mouse with 100% confidence.  That was on my parents first computer and the mouse cord got yanked hard enough to rip pads of the mobo for the mouse connector so my brother and I got a crash course in keyboard shortcuts.  Sorry don't have much dos experience
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:17:38 »
I've got some Windows 3.1 machines still running, hooked up to the Internet.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline N8N

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:23:18 »
You have more computer/electronics parts than car parts.

I am clearly NOT a geek then.  My storage locker is about 45% tools, 45% car parts, and 10% other stuff.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:31:33 »
You have more computer/electronics parts than car parts.

I am clearly NOT a geek then.  My storage locker is about 45% tools, 45% car parts, and 10% other stuff.

Don't worry it isn't a requirement just a possible indicator.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 17:56:36 »

I felt like this when I was surfing using my old Motorola PowerMac running Max OS 5 or 6 or something and Internet Explorer 3 or something.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:52:49 »

I felt like this when I was surfing using my old Motorola PowerMac running Max OS 5 or 6 or something and Internet Explorer 3 or something.

Power Macs don't have Motorola chips. They have PowerPC chips in them. And System 5 and 6 are not capable of running on PowerPC hardware. Those are designed for the 68k's.

Offline 127001

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:02:41 »
One of you're greatest regrets in life is having sold your Virtual Boy.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:57:03 »
When you're at the gym and instead of checking out girls, grunting, and listening to music that pumps you up, you stare at the weld joints in the machines and say, "**** thats ugly, I could make a better bead".

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:41:52 »
Hahaha awesome
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:49:31 »
I program at UIL meets and contests and such, I'm liking it, first year, and I'm doing Java! :D  WRONG THREAD!  SORRY!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:55:38 by gopanthersgo1 »

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 02:20:21 »
You're on the freeway, see a green Mustang braking in front of you, and think of Mr. Friday.