Author Topic: you know you are a geek when...  (Read 43708 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: you know you are a geek when...
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 21:48:13 »
Oh man, get some rest!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Hull

• I like everything with great quality and soul.
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 21:49:12 »
When you buy new shoe laces and they match the forum colors.

- Which theme though?

- There are more than one? *insert Fry sticking his money in your face shouting: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!*.
Now I have to find those themes...

(Attachment Link)

The dark orange and black one.

- Looks like pretty girl shoes to me. Just sayin.

Just came up with an awesome idea: someone make a keypuller keychain.

- Al rite, the most geeky tell tale of them all: A creepy guy in a Spock costume enters a room with a keypuller keychain around his neck and everyone slowly tries to hide their keyboards without being noticed. And yes, there will probably be at least one great struggle. Maybe even some broken bones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 23:57:24 »
visiting family for chinese new years and i bring the ps3 and monitor(with hdmi and built in speakers) so she can play skyrim(she just finished a 2 year project and is catching up on backlogged games).

she complains about the monitor being so small, i say you game on a projector, any monitor/tv in the world would seem small.

also wolf among us eps2 came out and i can't d/l it on psn cuz there's no internet connection at parents house, every wireless is seemingly secured and we have verizon with 2gb limit caps. gotta cut it short to go home, for wifi.

why can't you plug in ps3 to projector?

Offline daetsid

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:50:27 »
when going to an old electronic warehouse feels like a wet dream

Offline Lanx

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:35:52 »
visiting family for chinese new years and i bring the ps3 and monitor(with hdmi and built in speakers) so she can play skyrim(she just finished a 2 year project and is catching up on backlogged games).

she complains about the monitor being so small, i say you game on a projector, any monitor/tv in the world would seem small.

also wolf among us eps2 came out and i can't d/l it on psn cuz there's no internet connection at parents house, every wireless is seemingly secured and we have verizon with 2gb limit caps. gotta cut it short to go home, for wifi.

why can't you plug in ps3 to projector?

it is at home, this was just when we visited the parents i had to lug an extra monitor and leave it at my old house.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 19:36:37 »
So we were eating dinner tonight (me, wife, and both kids) and my wife asked our son what the letter of th week is.  He said "U umbrella".  Jen says "Unicorn".  Each week the teachers wants the kids to bring something for show and tell that starts with the letter of the week.  I looked at her and asked her if unicorn vomit board would count for show and tell.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #306 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 19:41:44 »
So we were eating dinner tonight (me, wife, and both kids) and my wife asked our son what the letter of th week is.  He said "U umbrella".  Jen says "Unicorn".  Each week the teachers wants the kids to bring something for show and tell that starts with the letter of the week.  I looked at her and asked her if unicorn vomit board would count for show and tell.

DO IT!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #307 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 19:48:52 »

I was waiting for "U Unicomp"

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #308 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 20:58:00 »

That is a nefarious plan.
Indoctrinating young children into such keyboard snobbery at an early, developmental age.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 21:19:12 »
My 7yo has an impressive keycap collection, including a few that I have not got.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 21:19:41 »
My 7yo has an impressive keycap collection, including a few that I have not got.

:eek:

Does he have a red vader?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 22:05:16 »

She does not.  But she does have a Hapster!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:10:30 »

I was waiting for "U Unicomp"
+1
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 23:32:03 »

She does not.  But she does have a Hapster!

Ridiculous! These geeks are getting so young now! Or maybe she quietly swipes the nice keycaps from you, then swaps with another geek kid who swiped hers from her dad's keyboard.

I am extremely experienced with the notion of kids swapping keycaps. If you use buckling springs like I do, and have colored keycaps, kids WILL pull these up and move them around. No 1x1 is safe.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 March 2014, 23:33:46 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #314 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:21:07 »
...you can call a manufacturer's bluff as they introduce "their" new, revolutionary switches.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #315 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:22:55 »
I just read this hilarious TIFU (Today I ****ed up) on reddit:

I hadn't jerked off in a few days and I shot farther than I thought it was going to go. Some of it went past the tissue I laid out and landed in between 5 keys on my 1 month old $150 mechanical keyboard and immediately it started to act strange. Certain buttons no longer work and pressing some buttons cause the keyboard to shut down entirely. I tried cleaning it but so far it's still broken. I'm going to submit a RMA request tomorrow but for now I can't use my desktop without a working keyboard. This might be the most expensive jizz I've ever had if I have to replace the keyboard with another one.
God dammit...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:51:50 »
Enough said with this one.  Though someone needs to do this and get a pic.   :cool:

56994-0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:56:31 »
When you post on a flashlight enthusiasts forum.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #318 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:57:38 »

I did some research on a flashlight enthusiast forum before I bought my work flashlight.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #319 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:00:11 »

I did some research on a flashlight enthusiast forum before I bought my work flashlight.
It's one thing to buy something for work, another thing to collect flashlights as a hobby. (No offense to those flashlight enthusiasts out there)
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #320 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 03:38:25 »

Damn, I read fleshlight at first and wondered...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #321 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 04:03:11 »

Damn, I read fleshlight at first and wondered...

Have you searched for fleshlight?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 04:16:27 »
Not yet, but I know there are forums like that. There are even forums dedicated to dragon... nevermind. Rule 34

Offline blackbox

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:11:14 »
You know you're a geek when you have over 20 computers.

Check! You also know your a geek when your bedroom has more electronic parts than clothes.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:59:58 »
When you have pictures of keyboards...on your phone.
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 09:14:15 »
I realized today that my auto correct knows Topre and corrected my text to say Topre.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:27:29 »
I dreamt about keyboards last night. I dreamt I found some cool keyboards but I was disappointed when I discovered it was rubberdomes.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:31:28 »
I realized today that my auto correct knows Topre and corrected my text to say Topre.

That's when you know you're a devoted GH member; when your electronics start learning mechanical keyboard terms...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 08:33:21 »
When you get an email from Amazon suggesting you should buy another Topre keyboard.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 April 2014, 08:35:06 by Smasher816 »

Offline James35

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 15:52:35 »
... when your wife rolls her eyes when you tell her you write AutoHotKey scripts to fix keyboard design flaws.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 03:26:41 »
...when the first thing you do when getting new HW is disassembling em to have a look inside.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #331 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 08:49:53 »
When you can recognize vintage keyboards in a movie and realize the sound track for the keystrokes was not edited.

Went and saw the new Cap America movie last night.  Black Widow (Scarlett Johansen spelled wrong) types a few key strokes on what looks like a Model F possibly AT version.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 15:41:21 »
When you can recognize vintage keyboards in a movie and realize the sound track for the keystrokes was not edited.

Went and saw the new Cap America movie last night.  Black Widow (Scarlett Johansen spelled wrong) types a few key strokes on what looks like a Model F possibly AT version.

Do this all the time :(

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #333 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:19:28 »
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:46:58 »
When any sort of electronic excites you
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:02:12 »
When any sort of electronic excites you

Indeed lol

One of my friend collects Calculator and also has 3 Atari and 2 commodors lol

Always fun to plug them back in.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:08:47 »
moose is right. i got bored of several different people just last week. i think ome or two of them were even mutual. :p

one of them was also hot and female.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:15:18 »
moose is right. i got bored of several different people just last week. i think ome or two of them were even mutual. :p

one of them was also hot and female.

Is that hot and female subject gave you privileged access to her interfaces? Or is the server room locked down still?

lol

you know you're a geek when you refer a vag as an interface lol

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #338 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:16:08 »
When you get overly excited when someone finds an old map study of your work area.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #339 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 19:00:05 »
You look in your closet and realize every single one of your t-shirts has some semi-to-very-obscure pop culture reference printed on it.

Offline vasconqs

« Reply #340 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:09:35 »
People around you want to have stuff like yours, and when you try to explain to them that it's a custom job, with tweaked firmware, and you can't update/buy it through the app store, you just come off sounding like a jerk who doesn't want to help. And you end up secretly hiding some stuff, just so they don't ask you how can they have one themselves, because you know you would be the one to set it up and troubleshoot every time they broke it.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #341 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:14:05 »
People around you want to have stuff like yours, and when you try to explain to them that it's a custom job, with tweaked firmware, and you can't update/buy it through the app store, you just come off sounding like a jerk who doesn't want to help. And you end up secretly hiding some stuff, just so they don't ask you how can they have one themselves, because you know you would be the one to set it up and troubleshoot every time they broke it.

Haha. That is why I just default to "you can't" when asked where they can get one like it.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #342 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:15:33 »

Thorpe!

:p

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #343 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 11:07:48 »
When you spend so much on a korean custom you can't afford a good camera to take decent pictures of it :s
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 13:37:22 »
When you could easily spend an hour talking about keyboards to someone - switches, layouts, keycaps, mods, etc.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 13:57:22 »
When you could easily spend an hour talking about keyboards to someone - switches, layouts, keycaps, mods, etc.

Lol we gather at least twice a week here in MTL to chill and talk keyboards.

My friends crib is so full of geeks, there's 6 mechs in there, and i usually bring my own.

Model M B. Spring
HHKB Topre
Poker II Mx Brown
WASD Code Mx Green
2 Apple Alps boards (can't remember color and name :/)
Green Alps Board i can't remember the name.

We also have a switch testing bag, containing the nine most popular MXs with keycaps so we can try them out and show them to people.

It's awesome.

Long live 21st century geekry.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 14:08:44 »

My friends crib is so full of geeks, there's 6 mechs in there, and i usually bring my own.

Model M B. Spring
HHKB Topre
Poker II Mx Brown
WASD Code Mx Green

We also have a switch testing bag, containing the nine most popular MXs with keycaps so we can try them out and show them to people.

It's awesome.

I'm in MTL. How do I get an invite. :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 14:10:00 »
when you draw boundaries on aerial photos to verify property acreages when looking at homes to buy

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 14:16:55 »
when you draw boundaries on aerial photos to verify property acreages when looking at homes to buy

Haha... when you draw cad drawings of the layout of a house you just saw based on memory and the documented room sizes so you can have multiple potential layouts ready when you do your second walk-through. need to keep my reno budget in check. :P

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #349 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 07:03:10 »

Model M B. Spring
HHKB Topre
Poker II Mx Brown
WASD Code Mx Green

It's awesome.

I'm in MTL. How do I get an invite. :P

Give me a PM. We speak french tough, but we're all english fluent so it shouldn't matter. Imma ask them if they don't mind strangers from geekhack, anyway they are all on geekhack lol.

Bring your mechs aswell if you have any haha.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX