Author Topic: Mill-Max sockets compatibility questions.  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
Mill-Max sockets compatibility questions.
« on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 14:09:08 »
I want to solder these https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0/ED90584-ND/2639493 on various PCBs. From what I've heard these are the "univeral" sockets and will pretty much fit 99% of PCBs that support MX/Choc style switches.

But my 1st question is: Do you know a PCB they are not compatible with? (So I can avoid buying those).
2nd question: How much tighter are Mill-Mix sockets in comparison to Kailh hotswaps?
3rd question: Do they suffer from the same 100 rated swaps like Kailh hotswaps? Or do they last shorter/longer?

Offline lakeboredom

Re: Mill-Max sockets compatibility questions.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 02:04:23 »
The holes in some pcbs are too narrow for millmax. What pcb do you have?

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:06:55 »
The holes in some pcbs are too narrow for millmax. What pcb do you have?

I have the Havit HV-KB395L keyboard which uses choc switches.
I want to solder some mill-max sockets on it so I can try some choc switches. Do you reckon it will work?
Of course, I'll have to desolder the switches first, then add the mill-max sockets.

Offline thorin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:49:56 »
None of the PCBs I have that support Choc switches are compatible with the millmax sockets, the PCB holes for the switches are too narrow. This includes the gergo (protocol), the chimera ergo 42, and the dilly. I'm pretty sure this means everyone (or a majority) uses the same symbol to design choc PCBs and the symbol doesn't support the millmax sockets. I don't know if there's a reason the PCB holes are so small for Chocs.

I think all the millmax sockets are rated for 1000 swaps. I don't have any kailh sockets so I can't speak to the relative fits, I have used a bunch of millmax and the fit is grippy but you can pull them out by hand. They don't seem to fall out if I turn the board upside down.