Author Topic: Help with building full set of cherry profile keycaps  (Read 4517 times)

Offline lowkey

Help with building full set of cherry profile keycaps
« on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 00:12:26 »
I have been recently trying to put together a full 87 key set of cherry profile keycaps.  Unfortunately I haven't had much luck, and I'm kinda new to this, so I'm looking for some help.

I recently purchased a brand new Cherry G81-8043LUVEU-0 with what I'm assuming are lasered keys on ebay for about $10 to fill out most of the board.  I'm okay with this, don't care about doubleshots, don't care about the color, don't care about ABT, PBT, I just want the profile because I love the shorter height when compared to the Filco keycaps.

Anyway, here's what I ended up being able to use from the G81:

So basically everything I need is still black.  I knew that I would need to modify the spacebar and that some of the modifier key stems would be off center, but I was still was under the assumption that at least some of the modifier keys from the Cherry G81/MY boards would fit.  Unfortunately when I pulled all of the stabilized keys off, they looked like this, including the spacebar:

Obviously I screwed up somewhere since I ended up not being able to use any of the stabilized keys...

So what I'm looking for is some kind of info on what boards I should be looking for to get the keycaps I'm missing.

So which Cherry boards I should be looking at, and which I should avoid?  Like I said before, I don't care if they're doubleshot, pad printed, lasered, or what color they are... I'm only interested in the profile itself.  As you can see in the first picture the profile is uneven and it bothers the hell out of me.

I'm also unsure as to whether any of first row modifier cherry profile caps (which would be considered the moogle kit? is that right?) or the caps lock keys have centered stems.  Do these even exist?  

Thanks in advance.

Offline spikeh

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 00:53:28 »
I believe you need a G80 MX board to strip the stabilised keys. I stripped from a G80-8464 with MX blacks, and everything fitted except for the capslock and spacebar due to off-centre stems.

You are still in time for the double shot replacement round 4 group buy. You can buy what's called Moogle Kit to fit your home row and capslock and the height profiles are meant for Cherrys; not sure about enter or backspace though. It may also be more pricey than stripping boards because they are double shot.

You may find information in the Wiki: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6924 useful. Even though it talks about double shots, the advice on getting right boards for home row/capslock is sound.
Filco Majestouch 105 | IBM Model M SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 87

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 01:04:43 »
I believe all MY have off centered 1.25 modifers, and off center caps lock. Some of the older MY do have normal keycaps for shifts, enter and backspace, not like what you ended up with. Generally the ones that are ok are the two tone boards. What you should grab is a g80-8113 or 8200 for those keys. You can usually get the lasered caps version for around $35-40. Unfortunately those are almost always ISO enter, so you will still need to get an ANSI enter from elsewhere.

Offline Human

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 05:47:27 »
Low profile? May be you will like this...

Btw, it is called Cherry k2.0 or g80-3800

Offline lowkey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 09:04:05 »
Quote from: Human;518531
Low profile? May be you will like this...
Show Image

Btw, it is called Cherry k2.0 or g80-3800

Well this is certainly interesting...

wonder when it'll be available?

Offline Human

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 09:09:05 »
Quote from: lowkey;518577
Well this is certainly interesting...

Show Image

wonder when it'll be available?
Currently on preorder in Taobao.
BTW, another little point to be noted is that the "Cap Lock" is using a new standard, which mean you can't use them on other board or find replacement for it easily.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2012, 09:15:04 by Human »