Author Topic: ISO alternative to Leopold?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline sneakyfox

ISO alternative to Leopold?
« on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 05:22:42 »
I would love to get a Leopold (FC660M) keyboard due to their reputation of having high build quality coming out of the box as well as great PBT caps. But since I need an ISO board I need to look elsewhere.

What would be a keyboard that comes out of the box with a quality not too different from Leopold?

Besides from having ISO layout, it should be a 65%. Cherry or Gateron switches would both be fine. PBT keycaps, but I wouldn't mind replacing them if that's the weak point of the board, as long as the total price doesn't get too much higher. About €130 maximum price.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
Re: ISO alternative to Leopold?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 05:51:51 »
For what it's worth there was run of ISO units of the FC660M and FC980M, which are no longer produced since the business endeavor has not been the most positive one. However, you will see units appear on the aftermarket here and there. If you really want a Leopold, you could keep a look out there.

Otherwise, nothing really comes close to Leopold in regards to build quality in my experience. They are more or less the only 'mainstream' brand I would buy if I were to go back to using mass-produced keyboards.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 06:43:12 »
There are several shops in Europe that import and sell Varmilo keyboards in ISO with PBT keycaps in near-Cherry profile with various more or less fancy dye-sub prints. I haven't seen 65% but there is 70%.

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 16:34:44 »
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at those out-of-stock ISO keyboards from Leopold, it's a real shame they stopped producing them. I haven't been able to find any aftermarket keyboards but maybe I should be a bit more patient.

There are several shops in Europe that import and sell Varmilo keyboards in ISO with PBT keycaps in near-Cherry profile with various more or less fancy dye-sub prints. I haven't seen 65% but there is 70%.

Thanks, those look quite good! The layout is close enough to 65%, it would be fine for me.

Have you used Varmilo keyboards yourself? What is your impression of them?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 16:53:37 »
I haven't owned one myself, no. Only got a feel of some in stores. They also seem to be quite popular here in Sweden.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 04:59:49 »
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at those out-of-stock ISO keyboards from Leopold, it's a real shame they stopped producing them. I haven't been able to find any aftermarket keyboards but maybe I should be a bit more patient.

Thanks, those look quite good! The layout is close enough to 65%, it would be fine for me.

I can just say that the Varmilo TKL keyboards are super good. 0 stab rattle since its pre-lubed, typing feel is consistent all over the board, dampening mat in the housing to remove switch ping and the plastic housing is made from a good quality. Not sure how the Varmilo 70% is, but i think it would be the same.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 March 2021, 05:03:00 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 12:19:50 »

I can just say that the Varmilo TKL keyboards are super good. 0 stab rattle since its pre-lubed, typing feel is consistent all over the board, dampening mat in the housing to remove switch ping and the plastic housing is made from a good quality. Not sure how the Varmilo 70% is, but i think it would be the same.

Thanks! That definitely sounds interesting. Their website even has a customization tool where you can pretty much design the board the way you want it, and it's not much more expensive than the pre-configured board. Only thing is that once you add EU customs and VAT they become a lot pricier - the cheapest I can get ends up at around €160-170.

Haven't seen the 70% keyboard in a EU shop yet, that would make things easier.

Btw, I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentions Filco. Are they just not that good anymore?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 13:56:42 »

Thanks! That definitely sounds interesting. Their website even has a customization tool where you can pretty much design the board the way you want it, and it's not much more expensive than the pre-configured board. Only thing is that once you add EU customs and VAT they become a lot pricier - the cheapest I can get ends up at around €160-170.

Haven't seen the 70% keyboard in a EU shop yet, that would make things easier.

Btw, I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentions Filco. Are they just not that good anymore?

They used to be the king back in the day, but Leopold and Varmilo came along and kinda stole the spotlight. You don't want to get a Filco since i had bad experience with the costar stabilizers and that they don't accept cherry profile key-caps what kinda broke the deal for me.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 16:31:33 »
Ok that's good to know.

I guess the conclusion to my question (what is a good mass-produced alternative to Leopold) would then be: Varmilo.

Thanks for your help everyone!