Author Topic: First Proper Build - Need help fixing hotswap  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Gazzer55

First Proper Build - Need help fixing hotswap
« on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 22:25:18 »
Hi All - Just finishing up my build, after many mods and switches, finally got everything done and my most bottom right key (right arrow) isn't working......from taking pics I cannot see the copper leaf on the left pin while looking at the PCB from the top. I have included some pics and was hoping to get some guidance on how to fix it before I mess something up and have to get a new PCB.  The board is a black aluminum Tofu65, brass plate, Glorious Panda switches and Akko wave keycaps. Thanks for the help!

Offline fpazos

Re: First Proper Build - Need help fixing hotswap
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 03:23:00 »
This looks quite damaged the easiest and most reliable thing is to replace the socket with a new one.
If you haven't a soldering iron then try using a strong needle from the side where it comes the switch to give it the proper form, also press firmly the soldered metal part to avoid further damage to the pcb, but I strongly recommend the first method.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 February 2023, 03:24:52 by fpazos »

Offline Gazzer55

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 08:30:27 »
Thanks for the note here. By the looks of it I was trying to figure out what is wrong with the connection. Is there something I should try to bend back in place before replacing?  I don't have the spare parts or proper tools to replace myself.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 09:02:04 »
Indeed it seems that hasn't been cut in the middle as the others. Other rational thing to do is to aproach the vendor and getting a replacement.

Offline Gazzer55

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 13:40:39 »
Thanks. So the keyboard was working great and then after I installed the switches for probably the 5th time after doing many mods that's when the issue came up. I think I perhaps pushed the switches too hard or didn't line it up properly.  Is anyone able to diagnose what happened via the picture, any way I could try and fix it myself without having to install new components? Thanks

Offline fpazos

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 15:51:29 »
The picture has quite little quality. If that started happening after an nth-switch change. Thats beacuse you deformed it with badly alineated pins or too much force. The good part is that it should be able to deform it to a working condition again using a needle, tweezers or other tools. Just be very careful, press firmly the metal against the pcb to avoid breaking the pcb trace. Good luck.
Still better option to find someone on the hobby from your city that replaces the hotswap socket for you.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 04:10:35 »
I can't tell anything from those pictures. They're too blurry. Have you got a continuity tester? You could test for continuity from just the switch legs to their corresponding solder pads on the PCB. If that's good then one of the pads could have lifted and torn the trace, which is a lot more common with hot swap sockets. You could test for that by visibly finding where the traces from the pads lead (like a nearby diode or another switch leg) and testing for continuity there. If you have no continuity even though the traces lead directly there, you can solder a jumper between the torn pad and wherever the trace leads.

If it is a torn pad I would try to glue the socket in place with high temp hot glue so there are no further failures. If I actually kept swapping switches in my only hot swap board, I would hot glue every single socket preemptively for this reason.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 08:06:13 »
Second photo shows clearly one side of hot-swap socket damaged.
It needs to be replaced, if you are not experienced with soldering I would suggest looking for fellow mech enthusiast offering repairs nearby and the easiest way is to search r/mechmarket for [Service] posts.