Author Topic: Brother EP-43 portable typewriter  (Read 20815 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Brother EP-43 portable typewriter
« on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 20:18:47 »
This thing is sweet. It runs on batteries or AC, it prints on regular paper with a ribbon or on thermal paper without a ribbon. It also has some great features my other typewriter lacks, and all in all I'm very happy with it so far.

Anyway, here's some pics:

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 21:22:51 »
xsphat, does your personal WPM get better or take a hit when using that device?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 22:01:56 »
Quote from: ripster;28725
My dad has one of these. The "IBM Model M of typewriters"..    I was always amazed at that ball thing.

- Ripster

I remember seeing these years ago. They were built like tanks. It was cool to watch the ball go at it when it was in use.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 22:13:30 »
I can't comment on my WPM because it only came today. I've typed a few pages on it and it is smooth and nice.

And since the Selectric came out first, the Model M is the Selectric of keyboards :P

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 22:15:28 »
I got three packages today from three different vendors — one EP-43, one EP-43 owners manual and the box of six rolls of thermal paper (though the package contained eight rolls ...). So my day went well.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 23:43:24 »
I haven't used a Selectric but I have a feeling it won't be able to compete with what I have in anything except key feel and durability.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 00:07:55 »
Quote from: bigpook;28732
I remember seeing these years ago. They were built like tanks. It was cool to watch the ball go at it when it was in use.

I had a selectric in high school, it was every bit as awesome as its legend says.  Funnily, I also used one of these brother typewriters in college, really liked that one too. Very portable and small and smooth, kind of the height of typewriter technology in its time (it was basically replaced by affordable laptops which began appearing around then). This was like late 80's basically, early 90s.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 01:35:49 »
When you try it out let us know about it — I'm interested.

Offline ozar

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 06:29:56 »
Quote from: wellington1869;85335
I had a selectric in high school, it was every bit as awesome as its legend says.

Same here... I used the IBM Selectric for the two years that I took typing in high school and that was one great typewriter.  Nothing else that I ever used came close.

Offline lal

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 08:47:16 »
Quote from: ripster;85331

http://www.ryancramer.com/journal/entries/model-m-keyboard/

Totally OT, but I think this is one *beautiful* website.  And the Brother typewriter is cool, xs!  What kind of switches does it have, if you don't mind me asking?
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 10:37:59 »
Quote from: lal;85375
Totally OT, but I think this is one *beautiful* website.  And the Brother typewriter is cool, xs!  What kind of switches does it have, if you don't mind me asking?

No I don't mind you asking what kind of switches it has. But I have no clue. I think it is a membrane but it feels a little crisper than one. The switch kind of looks like an HHKB Lite 2, but not exactly.

But what is OT? Occupational Therapy?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 10:42:27 »
OT = Off Topic

I could use some Occupational Therapy, though.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 11:37:48 »
Thanks, I'm a bit of a moron when it comes to net slang of the 1337 :smile:

And that question is totally relevant on this site.

Offline lal

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 12:27:35 »
Only my statement about that website ripster linked was meant to be off topic.

It's interesting to watch you constantly trying new things, xs.  I guess it's giving you some kind of inspiration.  I especially like the flat design of the Brother, very portable.  Can it transfer the text to a computer?
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 12:47:55 »
Quote from: ozar;85355
Same here... I used the IBM Selectric for the two years that I took typing in high school and that was one great typewriter.  Nothing else that I ever used came close.

I remember it was a bit like firing an anti-aircraft weapon.
Someone should post a sound clip. :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 12:51:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;85431
I remember it was a bit like firing an anti-aircraft weapon.
Someone should post a sound clip. :)
I remember that sound.  It was classic.  When I was kid I always thought something mechanical and magical was about to happen.

Or we were about to shoot down some Zeroes over the South Pacific.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 12:53:48 »
Quote from: lal;85419
Can it transfer the text to a computer?

No. It's just a typewriter. It is the cream of them, though, the peak of their technology, so it may be one of the best made (as in most usable). I have the Smith Corona also but that one is so loud it's unbelievable.

See that red wall in my photos? my kid sleeps just on the other side of it and the Brother is so quiet it doesn't wake him up. That is maybe one of the most important things about it. That and it works with rolls of thermal paper — on batteries! Sorry, I am amazed by this thing right now.

My writing hit a plateau this year and I haven't been able to figure out where to go with it. The typewriter makes it hard to goof off while writing so I pay more attention and it forces me to rewrite every story, so that lets me see what I am really trying to say and how it could be better stated.

I'm a firm believer in switching up the tools you use for your art what ever it may be. Switch up mediums, materials, whatever. I think it helps to look back at how those you respect did it. I'm reading everything worth a sh*t from American authors from about 1920 to 1975 and I'm finding some amazing writing, so in part this typewriter thing was inspired by studying the process of those authors. The other part is my fully pimped out HHKB Pro 2. I mean, with that and the Realforce and the simple fact that I have tried more keyboards than anyone, I think keyboards for me have run their course. What I'm left with, other than a lack of savings, is a couple great keyboards to rewrite my typed copy on.

Not at all a bad result. I'll stick around this forum though because I like the people here. Even webwit :tongue:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2009, 13:00:33 by xsphat »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 12:57:17 »
I vote that yes, someone should put up a sound clip. I mean, it is relative to everything we talk about here since it's the Model M's father.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:00:47 »
What about the print quality, though? A properly tuned and cleaned Selectric is one of the nicest typewriters to read the output of, ever. And, changeable fonts on the fly FTW.

Sounds like your Brother is a thermal/thermal transfer dot matrix?

Anyway, maybe I'll record a sound clip of my (somewhat out of tune, needing a cleaning - it occasionally prints spurious and incorrect characters) Selectric II. It's a quite nice machine to type on - lighter than a Model M, and you can actually feel the machine through the keys to an extent.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 15:04:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;85432
I remember that sound.  It was classic.  When I was kid I always thought something mechanical and magical was about to happen.

Or we were about to shoot down some Zeroes over the South Pacific.

lol talk about feedback, you could even feel the 'recoil' thru your hands ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 20:46:10 »
My Smith Corona is so loud it's like my ears shut off with every letter. I'm sure the Selectric is no different.

But the thing about the Selectric is it is so damned huge and ugly. If I want to see something like that, I'll go visit the inlaws :P

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 21:33:35 »
Don't worry about thread jacking — I'm overjoyed it's still about typewriters actually.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 21:33:48 »
I want an IBM 2741, myself.

(Making it not about typewriters, but about Selectric mechanisms, still. :p)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 22:14:25 »
:bored:

JK :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 01:58:19 »
:attention:
:fish2:
:llama:
:boink:
:peep:
:hurt:
:crutch:
:drum:
:washing:
:boom:
:car:
:violin:
:behindsofa:
:kev:

Ya, good variety :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 03:21:11 »
OK now I've been thread jacked but f*cking smilies? I'm hurt. This should get this thread back on track: :eek:

Many of my internet friends have asked for this picture. The small piece of paper was typed with the ribbon on printer paper and the long strip is the three densities on thermal paper without the ribbon.

On a related note, you should see how vastly superior the type quality of the Smith Corona is. The print is jet black and there is no blurriness at all. But the fact of the matter is I use the typewriter only for first drafts which are inherently the worst writing any writer ever does so after they are typed, I'm just throwing them away.

I'm starting to get the hang of this little writing instrument and i have to say it is a tricky little bugger. Fun to type on and fast enough for writing full bore. I think I'll go with this typewriter thing and see where it goes, and I have a couple really nice ones to use right out of the gate and for cheap: 2 electric typewriters + 2 ribbons + 8-98' rolls of thermal paper + 500 sheets of printer paper = $41 lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2009, 03:27:46 by xsphat »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 03:24:18 »
Quote from: xsphat;85645
But the fact of the matter is I use the typewriter only for first drafts which are inherently the worst writing any writer ever does so after they are typed, I'm just throwing them away.
Why waste the ink and paper?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 04:10:31 »
Quote from: iMav;85646
Why waste the ink and paper?

It's not a waste — this way I am forced to rewrite each story in order to have a usable copy. Rewrite is the operative word. I used to write a Word doc, edit it twice and then think it was good enough. During a rewrite I am able to go through the piece word by word and rework every sentence. It is a much better way for me to do it — for me — so I'm gonna do it this way for a while and see what exactly changed in my writing because of it.

Writing is my art, so I always am trying new things, and the process is more important than the end result. The best time is when I'm in the zone and writing, so if a typewriter makes me happy and is a fun tool to use, it must  have a positive effect on my writing.

You dig?

Offline vyshane

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 04:34:18 »
Quote from: xsphat;85649
Writing is my art, so I always am trying new things, and the process is more important than the end result.

I'm not sure I can agree with this. For me, the end result is always the most important thing in any activity that involves production.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 05:10:21 »
Quote from: vyshane;85651
I'm not sure I can agree with this. For me, the end result is always the most important thing in any activity that involves production.

I think in this case the process is just as important as the end result. I can understand that completely.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 07:31:25 »
Quote from: bigpook;85654
I think in this case the process is just as important as the end result. I can understand that completely.

I can't agree with this either! :P

Don't get me wrong, I believe that the process is important. I just don't think that it's as important as the end result. At the end of the day, xsphat's words are going to be judged on their own, by someone who doesn't know - nor care - about the process that he went through to craft his work.

Offline lal

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 07:53:17 »
Quote from: xsphat;85433
The typewriter makes it hard to goof off while writing so I pay more attention

I can understand that completely.  Unfortunately my work is computer-bound so it's very easy to get distracted by new posts on GH or something... :)

I'll stick around this forum though because I like the people here.

Good to hear!  I'd be sad if we lost you, one of the most experienced geekhackers.  BTW, I haven't seen Chloe in a while...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 07:59:25 »
Dude, Chloe is so far beyond us, she probably got bored or something. ;)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 08:06:44 »
I wondered why people kept posting in this thread, but I now see why. :)

I'm currently not interested in a typewriter but that could be because I never wrote anything on one.  I probably clacked on one once or twice, but I was raised on computers.  I can't imagine typing on anything else.

However, I think whatever works for a writer is great.  I have a couple friends (and my girlfriend) that prefer to physically write with pen/pencil and paper first.  I definitely can't do that.  Talk about wrist pain!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline lal

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 08:11:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;85677

Not unlikely :(

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 12:10:38 »
Another one I wonder about is GreyWolf. Man he just dropped off the map one day like POW! I hope he's doing alright ...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 12:46:31 »
Quote from: xsphat;85739
Another one I wonder about is GreyWolf. Man he just dropped off the map one day like POW! I hope he's doing alright ...

I think he mentioned something about getting into sewing machines...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 12:51:11 »
Quote from: vyshane;85669
I can't agree with this either! :P

Don't get me wrong, I believe that the process is important. I just don't think that it's as important as the end result. At the end of the day, xsphat's words are going to be judged on their own, by someone who doesn't know - nor care - about the process that he went through to craft his work.

Sometimes the product that is the end result can only be achieved by virtue of the process that is exercised.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 14:00:11 »
Quote from: vyshane;85651

I think it depends on what you're writing for.  And then there's also the philosophy that says if the process is good the end result cant be bad.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 14:01:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;85677

either that or she actually has a life ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 14:06:38 »
Quote from: FKSSR;85680
I have a couple friends (and my girlfriend) that prefer to physically write with pen/pencil and paper first.

I think I romanticize the pen/paper thing but in practical terms it would be too slow (and i wouldnt be able to integrate so much online research (as so much research has moved to online sources now), not efficiently anyway.

But I do think the old ways of writing (pen/paper/typing) force linearity and iteration/revision which -- as a process -- have a positive effect on the quality of the work that results.

With a word processor its too easy to fall into a 'mash up' mode at the expense of an original voice and comprehensive thoughts. Often, anyway. But its quicker and efficient particularly if you have to pull in a lot of online archives.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 15:22:58 »
Word, my boy Welly gets it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 April 2009, 16:25:36 »
Quote from: wellington1869;85769

That's exactly why you (pretty much) only see me from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST/CDT Monday through Friday.  I have too many better things to do on the weekends besides hang out with a bunch of geeks. ;)

I, apparently, don't have enough to do at work during the week.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 01:08:30 »
Quote from: itlnstln;85795
I, apparently, don't have enough to do at work during the week.

Good for you. We shouldn't put work ahead of life or sanity. My father's last-ish words to me were, "Use your all your sick days, use all your vacation days, live your life."

So, I guess by that rationale, I want to hang out with a bunch of geeks as I sit pasty skinned in my apartment at night.

:Cry: :typing: :Cry: :typing: :Cry: :typing: :Cry:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 06:45:18 »
Quote from: xsphat;85876
Good for you. We shouldn't put work ahead of life or sanity. My father's last-ish words to me were, "Use your all your sick days, use all your vacation days, live your life."

The older I get, the more I understand this.  I am a career-minded person, but I so understand the need to balance that with life outside of work.  My weekends and vacation time are sacred, and I make sure I am unreachable during those times.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 07:37:18 »
I am the opposite.  I don't care much at all about my career other than the fact that I want to do something challenging, interesting, and that makes decent money.  My life is focused on my religion, my girlfriend, my band, and all my other non-work interests.  That being said, I was raised to work very hard, so I find it hard to take vacation days, sometimes, and I never get sick...  I do end up spending the vacation days, though. :)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 21:13:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;85769

Dude, I just noticed Chloe is 19!  What is a 19 year old girl doing on a forum with a bunch of aging dudes?! :P  I'm sure she has cooler things to do, for sure!

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 21:39:51 »
Quote from: FKSSR;86082
Dude, I just noticed Chloe is 19!  What is a 19 year old girl doing on a forum with a bunch of aging dudes?! :P  I'm sure she has cooler things to do, for sure!

There are a few young'ns around here.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 21:41:35 »
haha.  Yeah.  I know.  It's definitely awesome - the age range we have at GeekHack. :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 22:40:48 »
Damn I have a keyboard older than Chloe. She's probably a 456 pound guy posing as a 102 pound 19 year old hottie to stir up some sh*t.

Offline cchan

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 22:55:47 »
Quote from: xsphat;86100
She's probably a 456 pound guy posing as a 102 pound 19 year old hottie to stir up some sh*t.

HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 23:17:38 »
is that a glamour shot? ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 23:48:08 »
Damn I looked at that picture and thought my webcam was on!

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 04:46:37 »
Hell, I've got MULTIPLE keyboards that are older than Chloe. :eek:

(AEK2, Apple Keyboard R, and possibly my first 1391401.)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 06:30:47 »
I wish I wouldn't have looked at this thread so early in the morning.  I think I may have to call in sick after looking at that picture...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 06:40:31 »
Whatever that pic is, I am glad it is blocked here at work.  I'm sure I don't want to see it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 14:00:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86138
Whatever that pic is, I am glad it is blocked here at work.  I'm sure I don't want to see it.

its what each of us will look like if we dont get a little exercise in between drooling over keyboards ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 18:30:25 »
Nice. Now i'll just imagine thats chloe ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 19:01:06 »
lol! keyboard pants.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 17 April 2009, 20:55:47 »
both of those are so absurd and not at all practical.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 01:13:24 »
Especially for the lard ass in cchan's picture — his gut rests on his legs halfway to his poor, tired and overworked knees. But then again, these pants most likely don't come in Fleet Farm sizes ...

I wonder if that company makes an assless chaps model. Must call them.

Oh, and here:

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2009, 01:18:15 by xsphat »

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 09:29:56 »
I'm pretty sure the keyboard is that way so that someone else can type on her...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 11:55:48 »
They do make ass-less chaps with the keyboard crotch action!!!! Mine is on the way, review to follow shortly.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 09:13:39 »
I hope you are joking... :/