Author Topic: Scotch  (Read 66723 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Scotch
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 07:37:40 »
So I tried my first Islay. Man, that peat hit me hard. But it's strangely nice. Ardbeg is the brand. Anyone have any recommendations on a lighter islay?

I would suggest trying Talisker. It's from the Isle of Skye and a little lighter on the peat.

I tried my first Ardberg this past weekend and it was indeed pretty peaty. My "go to" scotch for many years has been Laphroaig. Unfortunately, I didn't have the two side-by-side, so I can't say that one has less peat than the other.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:14:12 »
leap-frog is far more iodine than Ardbeg, so much so I can't even drink the former.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:15:29 »
Can anyone recommend a smooth scotch without too much peat/smoke taste. And I prefer to drink on the rocks, not neat. And price range would be $50-100 in Canada.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:19:41 »
Can anyone recommend a smooth scotch without too much peat/smoke taste. And I prefer to drink on the rocks, not neat. And price range would be $50-100 in Canada.

I'd recommend the Macallan. It has a hint of sweet, no real peat and is what got me hooked on Scotch. The older the smoother, but their entire line is excellent.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:20:49 »

I'd recommend the Macallan. It has a hint of sweet, no real peat and is what got me hooked on Scotch. The older the smoother, but their entire line is excellent.

Thanks! I'll give the lcbo website a check to see if it's available to me.

edit-Turns out there is only one type in Ontario, not near me, and it's $200 a bottle :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:25:39 by Halverson »

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:30:21 »
Glenfidich is our default export whisky, and for good reason - there's a good range of ages (and therefore prices) and they've all got a good taste for the price (except the 18yo, but that's just me) they're what I'd call a "traditional" whisky taste.

Royal Lochnagar have a more fruity undertone, I've only ever had their 12yo, and it's good, very good.  Imagine if you took the sweetness out of perry, tippled the alcohol content and gave it that warm whisky after-taste.  That's not quite what it tastes like, but it's as close as you'll get without buying a bottle.

Glenmorangie I'd call a beer drinkers whisky, it's very pale and has a very light taste, but retains the warmth of a nice whisky.  Not my tipple, but good with a meal (such as haggis; it is Burns day after all) as it won't overly contaminate the flavour.

Johnny-Walker is a blend rather than a single malt, but it's a good blend, with a range of quality and budgets their Red is an incredibly good quality for the price and their Green is as good as many single malts (and better than a few too!) purity is not always for the best.

None of these are peaty/smoky, some have more flavour than others, but they all conform to the idea of a "normal" whisky and you shouldn't be disappointed with any of them - can't comment on cost, but they're all good value.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:36:40 »
Glenfidich is our default export whisky, and for good reason - there's a good range of ages (and therefore prices) and they've all got a good taste for the price (except the 18yo, but that's just me) they're what I'd call a "traditional" whisky taste.

Royal Lochnagar have a more fruity undertone, I've only ever had their 12yo, and it's good, very good.  Imagine if you took the sweetness out of perry, tippled the alcohol content and gave it that warm whisky after-taste.  That's not quite what it tastes like, but it's as close as you'll get without buying a bottle.

Glenmorangie I'd call a beer drinkers whisky, it's very pale and has a very light taste, but retains the warmth of a nice whisky.  Not my tipple, but good with a meal (such as haggis; it is Burns day after all) as it won't overly contaminate the flavour.

Johnny-Walker is a blend rather than a single malt, but it's a good blend, with a range of quality and budgets their Red is an incredibly good quality for the price and their Green is as good as many single malts (and better than a few too!) purity is not always for the best.

None of these are peaty/smoky, some have more flavour than others, but they all conform to the idea of a "normal" whisky and you shouldn't be disappointed with any of them - can't comment on cost, but they're all good value.

I do enjoy the fidich 12yr, haven't stepped up with the ages yet. There is a Canadian edition called "Cask of Dreams", been contemplating that, but can't find much about it.  Anything I buy will be for the purpose of just drinking all day or all evening, not food compliment. As for Johnny Walker, red I can't stand, I find that they made it for folks who think mixing scotch is cool. Black is alright but a bit too smoky for my enjoyment. And then I haven't gone anything costlier for those yet. I have been contemplating trying out the new 'platinum' edition.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:49:15 »
I do enjoy the fidich 12yr, haven't stepped up with the ages yet. There is a Canadian edition called "Cask of Dreams", been contemplating that, but can't find much about it.  Anything I buy will be for the purpose of just drinking all day or all evening, not food compliment. As for Johnny Walker, red I can't stand, I find that they made it for folks who think mixing scotch is cool. Black is alright but a bit too smoky for my enjoyment. And then I haven't gone anything costlier for those yet. I have been contemplating trying out the new 'platinum' edition.

Have you tried any of the Japanese Scotches? I've been enjoying a new podcast called Scotch from Christopher Phin that's been a lot of fun. Even sent him a bottle of local bourbon (see Belle Meade episode), but he's a huge fan of the The Yamazaki 12 yr as well as other Japanese single malts. Based on his descriptions they are more floral and less smokey and their might be a bottle nearby.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:37:13 »
There's no such thing as Japanese Scotch obviously. Also, Johnnie Walker is an overpriced blend for foreigners, no-one here drinks it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:39:15 by Malphas »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 14:00:15 »
I've wanted to try Japanese scotch, I'm probably bias cause I love everything Japan. Problem is, I don't remember anything like that near me. I need to stock up in Toronto next month.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 14:06:33 »
I'm having a lovely friday evening:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:24:22 »
I've wanted to try Japanese scotch, I'm probably bias cause I love everything Japan. Problem is, I don't remember anything like that near me. I need to stock up in Toronto next month.
If you're going Japanese, almost anything by Nikka Taketsuru is gonna be tasty. I would highly recommend the 21 year old.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:54:28 »
I'm having a lovely friday evening:

Show Image

Just grabbed a bottle of the 15yr old. I've only ever tried the 12.

Turns out the lcbo does have The Macallen. But at $100 for the 12yr, I'll pass...for now.

If you're going Japanese, almost anything by Nikka Taketsuru is gonna be tasty. I would highly recommend the 21 year old.

I'll have to see where I can find some, nothing Japanese at my local one, probably have to go to a bigger city. edit-Ontario has 12 and 15yr made by Nikka. But the 15 is $190, getting a bit pricey.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:56:40 by Halverson »

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:24:32 »
I had some Glenfiddich 12yo and 15yo last night, good stuff :D
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:25:20 »
I had some Glenfiddich 12yo and 15yo last night, good stuff :D

I just opened mine, smelled great. Just waiting on some ice to give it a taste.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:41:22 »
Just got some goodies in the mail. Ardbeg Uigeadil, Dalwhinnie 15yr old, Glencarin glass, and Ardbeg Snifter. It's gonna be a good weekend me thinks :cool:
12369-0
12371-1

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:41:57 »
I think i might order some yamazaki 12. Heard it was pretty good.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:40:05 »
Just picked up some of the Balvenie Doublewood. It was that or the Macallan, so I decided to try something new.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:40:35 »
Just picked up some of the Balvenie Doublewood. It was that or the Macallan, so I decided to try something new.

Show Image

How much you pay for a bottle of the Macallan there?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:41:23 »
The Macallan 12 was $56.99 and this Balvenie was $59.99
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:50:44 »
Drinking scotch and listening to scotch!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 09:22:56 by mashby »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:52:03 »
The Macallan 12 was $56.99 and this Balvenie was $59.99

Lucky. Almost twice the price for me here.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:40:11 »
f' scotch, i just bought a fifth of cabo wabo reposado

this is now a tequila thread

* precarious TAKES OFF CLOTHES

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:48:00 »
f' scotch, i just bought a fifth of cabo wabo reposado

this is now a tequila thread

* precarious TAKES OFF CLOTHES

I ****in love cabo! I'm coming over to partay!!!!

Offline Malphas

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:14:12 »
Drinking scotch and listening to scotch!

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:59:20 »
Just purchased a yamazaki 12 and a Oban. Never heard of the latter but was told it was good. Anyone heard of Oban?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:15:27 »
Just purchased a yamazaki 12 and a Oban. Never heard of the latter but was told it was good. Anyone heard of Oban?

Saw one bottle of it at the liquor store here. Looked cool, and was over $100 here. And with only 1 left, it's either popular or taking forever to sell.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:18:42 »
... Anyone heard of Oban?

Only 165miles away from me, I've heard of it, but never tasted it.  Nice?

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:42:52 »
I haven't tasted the oban yet (tonight). But from what i read, it has characterstics of both an islay and a highland. Also, the price is high because they don't make that many bottles a year, from what i read.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:00:13 »
Yeah, there was only one bottle of Oban at the store I went to last night, and it was around $100.

in memoriam

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:04:27 »
Oh you're goin'a hate me... I could click a button right now and have a bottle on it's way to me for the equivalent of $34.75+P&P!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:07:16 »
Oh you're goin'a hate me... I could click a button right now and have a bottle on it's way to me for the equivalent of $34.75+P&P!

*Full hate*

Damn the prices of liquor in Canada!

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:08:21 »

Show Image

Any thoughts?  Absolute favorite of mine.
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:46:19 »
Just picked up a highland park 12 yr. collection's coming along fine.

Offline dirge

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:51:33 »
good to see a pic of what looks like a glencairn glass
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:54:30 »
good to see a pic of what looks like a glencairn glass

I used to have two of those, and one went to the floor because against better judgement let a clumsy friend use it...ugh. I think I still have the other, or I blanked out the memory of number 2 being smashed upon the floor.

Memo to self, never lend out your favorite glasses.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:39:13 »
I don't drink a lot if scotch which enables me to afford nice scotch.  Highlights for me are Balvinie 10, Johnny Walker Gold, McCallan 15, Glenrothers, and Oban

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:55:57 »
Balvenie 12 is pretty brilliant if you like very "rich" tasting scotch as such.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:07:19 »
Yes, this Balvenie 12 was very nice. Not too heavy, with a touch of sweetness. My Glen Cairn glass has a Lismore logo on it.

in memoriam

Offline dieseldog49

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:48:32 »
I was enjoying some Glenlivet 16 year old Cask strength last night :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 20:17:09 »
I cracked that bottle of Dalwhinnie 15yo last night and I have to say, this just rocketed to one of the best malts I've ever tasted. The deep notes of honey and fruit are just wonderful. The taste is just so warm and complex, yet entirely approachable and likely the smoothest malt I have ever had. I usually enjoy the kick of peaty drams but this one was too special.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 20:20:08 »
I cracked that bottle of Dalwhinnie 15yo last night and I have to say, this just rocketed to one of the best malts I've ever tasted. The deep notes of honey and fruit are just wonderful. The taste is just so warm and complex, yet entirely approachable and likely the smoothest malt I have ever had. I usually enjoy the kick of peaty drams but this one was too special.

Well they have 5 bottles at the store close to me, and you just convinced me to pick up a bottle!

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:28:20 »
Here is my collection so far:

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 08:08:38 »
Nice!

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 08:14:46 »
I have to admit I have only tried cheap crap so far, but would love to try some more expensive stuff. Unfortunately I so not have any friends that are whisky connoisseur's and I ca't afford to try a lot to see what I like lol.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 09:17:26 »
More expensive doesn't equate to better quality.

Offline precarious

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:23:48 »
anyone try the balvenie portwood?  i just noticed that at a local store, and even though it's obscenely priced at 180 or something around there, i'm tempted to try it.

or buy it from somewhere else!  who sells liquor online at non-horrific prices?

Offline precarious

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:24:29 »

name a "cheap liquor" that is any good.

:)

Offline Malphas

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:48:18 »

Most of the standard price brands are fine. High priced spirits are like high price clothes or high price perfume, they're not more expensive because they're superior, it's mostly a combination of limited production capability (often intentionally), higher overheads, deliberate marketing decision (due to conspicuous consumption and people like you who don't understand how the market works and incorrectly assume higher prices equates to better), brand image, etc.

Offline precarious

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:16:54 »

due to conspicuous consumption and people like you who don't understand how the market works and incorrectly assume higher prices equates to better

my point was more in reference to people like you who don't understand how relativity works, and that the designation of "cheap" is reducible to something that is $20 USD or less (emphasis on the "or less" -- again, welcome to relativity, the underpinning of everything!) per 750 ML, which designates a swathe of spirits which have absolutely no comparison to that which can be had at only twice the price.

like i said, you don't understand how language or relativity work.

enjoy your assumptions, half-brained waste of sentience.  cheap means cheap, not not-cheap.  words have meaning -- try a dictionary.

p.s. the cabo wabo blanco is telling you to go f' yourself but fortunately rationality is standing firmly by my side on this one.

p.s.s. diageo people like you johnnie walker blue blah blah blah empty rhetoric born of the unconscious narcissistic defense mechanisms of a useless living organism
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:22:10 by precarious »